• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
DxFD7YKUwAED2ns.jpg

https://store.playstation.com/ja-jp/product/JP0700-CUSA14839_00-ACECMBT7VRSTDEMO

Japanese PSN store has Ace Combat 7 VR demo up.
OMG WHAT. I was so torn between Xbox/PS4 as I wanted to give the VR a go so this is perfect

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Just finished the campaign. Just gotta do some more VR tinkering and try out multiplayer (people are online now) then I should be ready to review.

Post some VR impressions if possible. I'm interested in the sense of speed, control, length. I'm one of those gamers that sense of speed does not translate on a TV or monitor hardly at all, but in VR its glorious if done right.

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the trailers, I love how dynamic some of the missions look. The crumbling ruined city, the modern city at night, the claustrophobic stone pillars among the thunderstorm, the ocean platform with you flying through the struts.

Will the game likely have more levels like that? The variety and environmental hazards seem really cool
that and weather hazard missions(extreme winds in a canyon like area, lightning storm that can hit and disable certain instruments like HUD and radar)

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, it was the following Ace Combat 6 trailer that caught my eye for that reason but for some reason I never followed through (maybe it was not being able to get one of the flight stick bundles at the time that hurt my interest).

It's melodramatic as can be, but there's just something there that really clicks with me.

Last edited:

Bryo4321

Nov 20, 2017
Is this really not X or pro enhanced? That just seems insane in 2019. Can anyone confirm yet? Maybe a release day patch?

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
As gorgeous and intense as the gameplay looks, this is why I'm really intrigued

I always thought these will just like fighter jet sims, so hearing that they're actually alt-reality near-future anime-esque melodramatic war epics that expertly contextualize gameplay and escalate missions, with engrossing narratives, was a pleasant surprise that pushed me to preordering. And the music I've heard so far has been fantastic.

Yup, if there is something that the Ace Combat games are very good at, it's stroking the player's ego, hahaha. It's always a blast to see the world/characters react to your PC that grows from an unknown pilot to an overwhelming presence that awes your comrades and terrifies your enemies. 4, 5, and 0 were all masterclass at this.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Since I have PSVR, I'm kinda tempted to cancel Kingdom Hearts III pre-order for this instead.

I'm very iffy on Kingdom Hearts, truth be told -- I'm a lapsed fan that's clinging to unlikely hopes that the new one is somehow going to satisfy me.

I played AC4 and AC5 back on PS2 and had a decent time, but not an exceptional one. I do think this one looks great though, and the inclusion of the PSVR mode is very enticing.

Tough call for me.

Seems this might be the only way to get AC5 is to preorder AC7. Era thread on it.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played 2 and a half VR missions, it's crazy!
One of the best looking PSVR title, they have to make the full game playable in VR one way or another, it doesn't make sense not to.
It's the definitive way to play AC7.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I played 2 and a half VR missions, it's crazy!
One of the best looking PSVR title, they have to make the full game playable in VR one way or another, it doesn't make sense not to.
It's the definitive way to play AC7.

Can you comment on the sense of speed? Everyone I've heard said it looks amazing but no comment on speed.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Can you comment on the sense of speed? Everyone I've heard said it looks amazing but no comment on speed.
I assume you have PS4 and PSVR already. The VR demo on Japanese store has English voice/text support and it's easy to make Japanese PSN account (I am sure there are many guides on the internet and youtube) so maybe you can check that out.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I assume you have PS4 and PSVR already. The VR demo on Japanese store has English voice/text support and it's easy to make Japanese PSN account (I am sure there are many guides on the internet and youtube) so maybe you can check that out.

Thanks, I think I'll wait and see if my region gets a demo first. If not, I'll go through that.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So looking forward to this. I got a HOTAS stick during Christmas 2017 in anticipation of the 2018 Q1 release and now... over a year later, here we finally are. AC7, HOTAS stick and VR, I'm really looking forward to Friday, just waiting for the pre-load countdown to finish. Is it safe to assume that AC5 will also use a HOTAS stick?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What kind of framerate does base PS4 have, out of curiosity?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So I watched the opening cutscene/intro scene that was released

And I'm surprised by how great the voice acting is. So far, I've tended to play the Yakuza games with subtitles, but the English voice acting in that cutscene is really good, that I might play AC7 in English instead of Japanese. Like better than most games outside of specifically narrative-focused ones IMO.

Is that a good barometer for the voice acting and cutscene direction (also really well done) for these games as a whole?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017

And I'm surprised by how great the voice acting is. So far, I've tended to play the Yakuza games with subtitles, but the English voice acting in that cutscene is really good, that I might play AC7 in English instead of Japanese. Like better than most games outside of specifically narrative-focused ones IMO.

Is that a good barometer for the voice acting and cutscene direction (also really well done) for these games as a whole?

This is one of the few Japanese games where I think I prefer English voice over Japanese. This, Resident Evil and DMC are the only ones top of my head that I prefer English voice.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

You kinda need to honestly. Spend one second looking away at some subtitles and you can be nosediving into the ocean.

Iorv3th

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked AC6 on 360 and was always kicking myself for not getting the flightstick bundle so I went and ordered a flightstick to be here on friday with the game.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
First time player here and only completed two missions so far.

It's fun.

Once you get your plane near the ground you can feel the speed better.
I had one defining moment that I shot down an enemy plane right in front of me (one more second and we would probably crash) and managed avoided the debris.
Soon after that I was, again, back into the larger fight planning who to take on next, how to tail them and so on. A lot more thinking is involved than I initially would have thought.

I think I will really like this one.

EDIT: Also, best sound design for 2019. No doubt about it.
My PS4 was flying so high that you really think you're inside a plane.

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the few Japanese games where I think I prefer English voice over Japanese. This, Resident Evil and DMC are the only ones top of my head that I prefer English voice.
Funny enough Ace Combat uses a lot of the Resident Evil cast mainstays.
Wesker was a side character in that past, now is the scientist guy in 7,
iconic RE4 Leon was the protagonist of Assault Horizon
RE6 era leon was the narrator character of Ace Combat 5
Chris Redfield was an AWACS tech
etc

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Waiting for that unlock tomorrow. Gotta wait til after work either way but man I'm excited. Funny that AC5 had a predownload but 7 doesn't on my list anyway.

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Hoping someone can help me out.. Is the Deluxe edition is worth it? From the PSN Store Pages, when comparing the deluxe to the regular, I could only see that you get.. emblems, in the deluxe edition? There are "six additional content packs" that the deluxe edition says it offers, but none of them are revealed on the store page, and the season pass that's referenced by the deluxe edition doesn't seem to be on PSN either?

Also: Do we have any impressions of performance on PS4 Pro? Debating on pulling the trigger tmrw instead of waiting til the 31st for pc.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
That's great to hear. Really excited to play this

First time player here and only completed two missions so far.

It's fun.

Once you get your plane near the ground you can feel the speed better.
I had one defining moment that I shot down an enemy plane right in front of me (one more second and we would probably crash) and managed avoided the debris.
Soon after that I was, again, back into the larger fight planning who to take on next, how to tail them and so on. A lot more thinking is involved than I initially would have thought.

I think I will really like this one.

EDIT: Also, best sound design for 2019. No doubt about it.
My PS4 was flying so high that you really think you're inside a plane.
Oh cool, I was wondering if that was a factor

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Still waiting on the game to arrive but the PS4 FlightStick just arrived.

I'm sure some of this is common sense to anyone who owns a recent Hori HOTAS products, but per the back of the box:
  • PS4, PS3, PC natively supported out of the box
  • Specifically mentions Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7
  • PS2 and PSone brandnames are also mentioned but I can't read japanese so no idea if they are mentioned to say "not supported" (which is a bit overkill) or if you really could reuse it on PS2 (which has USB) for example.
  • PS4/PS3 do list minimum required firmwares (4.73/2.80) for whatever reason.