• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I may be enrolling in Japanese classes at a local university for free via my career soon, and I thought it might be interesting to attempt to grab a Japanese PlayStation 2 console to have access to Japanese PS1 and PS2 games as sort of a supplemental learning aid.

It's also always been something I kinda wanted to do sort of as a passion project without any of the language-learning involved. There were a few Japanese versions of games I always wanted. Granted, that was mostly things like FFX and FFXII International, and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix 1/2, which always had English dub options available, but those have long since rereleased stateside. Now I'm thinking I might get Japanese versions of games that I'm kinda already familiar with that don't have dub options, plus a few Japan-only releases (like the PS2 Dragon Quest rereleases). Part learning aid, part just passion collecting.

Short of visiting Japan and going to big retailers like Super Potato, what's my best course of action to try and get a hold of Japanese gaming goods, namely the hardware and the games? Is pricing of retro games similar to US pricing, where value is completely determined on supply and general affection for the title? US pricing for retro games has seemed kinda pricey but I feel like I might justify the cost based on the contextual educational benefits.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
For PS2/PSP games just get them off ebay, they're cheap as dirt

Same goes for a lot of classic SFC hrogs that are worthless in japan (the dq/ff games come to mind).

For older or more niche stuff you missed the boat

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I buy Super Famicom games from Amazon without issue (of course, shipping can take a while). You could also check out ebay for stuff as well.

*Edit: NVM, not even going to give them a shout out.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with ebay suggestions. Also, check your local retro game stores to see if they have them. It's possible they have imports but don't prominently display them. If you live near the Canadian border, buying Japanese games in Canada could save you money since the US dollar is worth more.

OP
OP
J_ToSaveTheDay

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I buy Super Famicom games from Amazon without issue (of course, shipping can take a while). You could also check out ebay for stuff as well.

*Edit: NVM, not even going to give them a shout out.

I think you were about to shout exactly who I wanted to avoid mentioning and giving a shout to in the OP, too... Hehe. I used to order from them back in the day but I decided my business wasn't going to them anymore after they threw in with a certain internet lot.

eBay it is, then?

Kinda surprised there isn't a dedicated retail space for that sort of thing online aside from the one that angelgrievous and I are avoiding mentioning by name. Ah well, eBay's not so bad. :)

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Super Potato isn't even where you should be going. That place is for rarities, the stuff you're talking about can easily be gotten on the cheap from places like Mandarake and Book Off.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I think you were about to shout exactly who I wanted to avoid mentioning and giving a shout to in the OP, too... Hehe. I used to order from them back in the day but I decided my business wasn't going to them anymore after they threw in with a certain internet lot.

eBay it is, then?

Kinda surprised there isn't a dedicated retail space for that sort of thing online aside from the one that angelgrievous and I are avoiding mentioning by name. Ah well, eBay's not so bad. :)
I just remembered Pink Gorilla from Kelsey Lewin of Metal Jesus Rocks fame. She does a lot of import stuff at her store, which has online ordering. Here's the link: http://www.pinkgorillagames.com/

Oct 31, 2017
Short of visiting Japan and going to big retailers like Super Potato, what's my best course of action to try and get a hold of Japanese gaming goods, namely the hardware and the games?

Well, if you take the plane, check some book-off stores. PS2 games tend to be very cheap.

For consoles, don't forget to try them when you get back to your hotel. I bought a used DC the first time I went to Tokyo, went back to my room and start some Power Smash just to check if everything was working fine: the disc was spinning but the game wasn't launching so I got a replacement ;)

Super Potato isn't even where you should be going. That place is for rarities, the stuff you're talking about can easily be gotten on the cheap from places like Mandarake and Book Off.

Yup !

Last edited:

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
General/common stuff just use eBay.

If you are looking for rare or going hardcore then yahoo auctions jp using a proxy like buyee.jp. Yet I don't recommend this for commons as you'll probably pay more over proxy and double shipping charges.

Fallen92

Oct 26, 2017
California
Where do you live? I live in LA and there are a couple of import shops around. The most readily accessible one is in little Tokyo called Retro Game Camp, they sell Japanese imports both games and consoles from pretty much every generation. I've bought most of the import games I have from there. Alternatively, as others have said, ebay is your best bet if you wanna buy imports.