• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Is this thread for toys in general or specifically "action figures" (which I believe implies articulation)?

I've recently fallen into a dark pit of toy collecting. I've always been attracted to the idea but felt it was way too cluttered a hobby. Now I'm starting to get in deep, slowly raising my maximum allowance per toy.

Mostly I'm into vinyls. Not that Funko trash. But I will buy whatever I think is cool, new or old.

I'm not looking to acquire toys as a traditional collector. I don't care about value or boxes. I do save some boxes but I always remove the toy to display.

For me, I view toys as a form of art and like decorating with them. It's a real challenge to create a tableaux that looks cool and classy and not as messy and nerdy.

If there is a thread specifically for other types of toys, like vinyls and plushies, etc, please point me to it! Meanwhile I guess i'll just post here.

The only other figure thread I know here mainly focuses on Japanese statues. Guess this might be the best place to talk about them. You guys are a unique breed since what you like is usually pretty different from the standard collector.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For Your Consideration: Three Scientifically Inaccurate T-Rex Figures (and some background Smiskis)

3pS0Fu1TEL-m-kNM8zfRVcHknH-Wms1hZ-aa8ubLOGEoBbFdcTmwbShyXFR4Ibcs7U8je0uQ6ZlWMH4l2qTMC6l3C1UAvQZztjHSR_oWH_XHAYpBFhS0qpu7Aecg2imyRna3Xe0z8YrH3Ljf0TH9xiwOZoLh8w2CMWIcGsi8CY7NSESxrD3SfIsEKulqRK9mjNHz3QirNherweifbU8iotQFzadInOfxPV-sWwNkkrSz9DfhvRCUBvPH-Ej3Q_hczTMMmiBKHve-F-8D9upwr3WFeqgdXye6A0fWv-loNHtkI3fvs0PG9ajLcRYff-cIPuP-sNVnuuicjaf67iULnCqiOHnAFvGol8l77o1RL7cA9DJFwyJhZr1PWfkZX6gEcBVck8pFg3jQ1ns3Yrdz0wjZwJC2CdM4VBrjnI7pzgjRRVrXv9vPR0W85ccQoLNEv_dqRVBF_by_RTs-dEAqM8cPUAIUcJPgyRK9cKy9BvIj_qBKH92WBM34npRil9JUu8Tjp_wOpOyHvRww-UKuil07UwdCM4_5WaH2H_79k_kf-bdag4OAJV41E5BACIXMgZhY56WSTQaVLBVUGavM4CyZHkoH8buxXExDCsnW8ePgT9bXB4H9dJNpQopGhfA=w1446-h812-no

These three dinosaur toys are interesting to compare. The first two I've had since I was a young boy (I'm 33 now...) and the third I just picked up yesterday. It's neat to see how the depictions of these animals has changed over the years.

1) This hideous fuck-face

5OqNn4rvfb3Z1pJAhaOpDYf0q-JkF10yPmQdX1639q_Y37UsdLeXegjJAFzD3ouxvLfidVyZGqeB0mOCVVWvzaZI7MGLU-dtehnKWKAiziwAsvplUjRT10N688X8lLvA29VGw00Deil3YxJr3WA0_B9yjSXTz3MhQ-749tQpkKPuzioMn-HmmDv4VpTrZP8zNA8ZPZnRhA-ciWEisIJiRKgL12t4Y-GFXfoF6pXqR1q1eC8_90ey_PB34kySeoINeQ5YCWIonXCh4pJnRLC7KVUNKDpZH65mqA3Z0xyZCSqVe486eHfa-emgXTYIYS2Qu9tWGxu1jxb1DPA5xfLB-XAnpUsyawCBhR8VuOKDSCSxqQFcMXIAI8kVxkb5M5CEo3nMSkNqNc9s9Lt-H5j9qr4aNylRNBbbGHusoazoFvhWSmffkiOIyAadnIB81nQ_qzyojEKUC2_xBlFGVynJt2dw3ie79Lv1GmsDu42X4ni-FY7RMcp7SFnybP7Vw2cQ0YGvaGPmsCUnCpXELa1ukQcs65oNGDeQAQN5AcyRiDn18xaRHXLCifFdp8P6YxZvAL2HhkWMsBoNF8I3IIs9NTjvxtO1SKKmBNVGWZkWfyQf8iD68VlHuVf-j-oMyxo=w1446-h812-no

This is one of the oldest toys I still have. This thing is just awful to look at, which is why I love it. It's just terrible. It looks more like an alien kaiju than a dinosaur. Like the sculptor had never seen a dinosaur and was asked to make this based on a brief description. I don't know where it came from or who made it. It's gross and awesome.

2) 80s Tsukuda Hobby T-Rex

X63ym11NlfQr2YwQyVreCHeWlhC007ld0y8bJjrr7WgHMElkClnoKfE2QgLImVBsRjM3iidx7h7xzGiOE1oeP7xNeBsO1TvFBrz48r1L3HeOMUzLjCYnHdfKPiglxoz2HZ-vpEcnRtPqYkZ9hPzJdeyEqmiMqtaaO6OpO0larcnA_inHTI6zq57BzOhH2t09A4zjYtZn2NB_W1a1L8Yb4uAaItwxAFx67VHCO6Y8PaADpwYz33dPAkj83IHp_oZiiKpbvnjhodrFSVr1-y0djxYJadmztERzxk1A6eV6g1HaB7hHquerz3IbOEOrgeWDBsGyOLoUjv5BtvtaCq--Y2dfkEEmKeglNi8aQWrrN4JUCV5xvCUVpR2OQ4etHzPEQqtfQHzbecY0TnaUck7lriqZ_JHt0SKt7P0bHfBhGMVU01k0uxfHpl0wEyFNUb_rcQe6v5YCeBCwl0FIj-1uFg5gMfRTb40yV2Zhmbub1Hlwlxg5SoiMKPqJLnnzeWGAttXc78V_qwwNJvIGJoJjS-C9R4zk3YzXF8wyal6KMZcqW1dEkETnBHMk3NG0tWdGYE5TDK5I6-UlRn0cmQFbXNh0qrgBNNkz8yonIDzT1_zRjM3GNcfwPjd4mVN_Qxw=w1446-h812-no

I don't remember exactly what museum I got this from. Maybe a natural history museum in Pennsylvania, or the Children's Museum in Indianapolis? Anyway, at the time this thing was considered highly accurate compared to other dino toys of the era. It's got wonderful detail and is surprisingly light. The eyes really set it apart from other dinosaur figures.

3) Schleich Red T-Rex
0LD9wO0sTm264AdnzS03dW6HlmZdI10CsUC8V-QE4FpmLETr2CZC-VrQShd9V9HE2xzcdSs2pvMekLG6Fzw_948utL0qSkH12bcrIiHToswpDT-Q2wdPDTxbRkd4Bjsmad6GlRXQfyH-AToq7mBC7KjQrFaXl4ZCAdz_vvdDkUlg0sTmvFfsq_ijfigAgn52ySSYuY_NejHHeQhggR4-mrZSx4npAeWyuuGSx0jfwBnaCwSzOaPivzy7MLH6AmduIVHiqFkYseSof4Z8PbQ37faxHIx6JnrXfg53a4ZOGapgamMd6kLtDd4IspryaYQwqyWmAeJupHApAWU5Mk2mH_THmPr_KxP_MWZSgyJH8latc2tX6W8gc3nIkLrCiDdNnk4v2cm6X0KNScZj8RNwoy_rqG-HpMx0hr1ANY3VV2ahaSIhcDRQKBHg7tBC8SukiF4lJpEuQzpxGwS2Tz_zJKpnBjX61-tnQYXYNpzuOwK5-z4g6v-b6DY3On2JCmA62VEwROjjq060RbaZZeYCjD59n8mvjZG6VGt0GqgSlgG9Pvhc5TJ29wYY_LXpfJAs8_fgMc2Yi7wB7S9pAdvLaL6NNv07UyfRfePvNJ4p0LkQvWfojR6PfznA12W3CaM=w1446-h812-no

This is the newest one, I just picked her up from Meijer on clearance! This figure is a fucking knock-out! Solid as a rock but the textured skin is slightly soft like rubber. The head sculpt looks straight out of Jurassic Park and the articulating jaw is a nice touch. This one is almost perfect but the lack of feathers makes it a dated representation. Even so, this is a badass figure and I highly recommend it. It's definitely one of the best Schleich dinos and outclasses many of their others.

Welp, that's that. Hope you enjoyed looking at these little monsters.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Any links for a Metal Build Eva would be greatly appreciated. I was diligently checking for the last two days, but I was asleep at the wheel today. Damn it!!!

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Any links for a Metal Build Eva would be greatly appreciated. I was diligently checking for the last two days, but I was asleep at the wheel today. Damn it!!!

Oh boy, kinda late for that. Your best bet is to keep an eye on sites on release day because they usually have a bit of extra stock by then. BBTS and Crunchy will also open sales later since Amazon got it so keep an eye on them as well in the coming days.

Tom_Cody

Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, kinda late for that. Your best bet is to keep an eye on sites on release day because they usually have a bit of extra stock by then. BBTS and Crunchy will also open sales later since Amazon got it so keep an eye on them as well in the coming days.
Yeah, I know.

I'll just keep my ear to the rail and see if I can catch one when more open up.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
FYI anyone looking for the silver surfer walgreens exclusive, i'd check now. they're showing up in the Midwest for me.

really nice figure. stoked to find the thing when he rolls out.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I ordered an expensive new toy, somewhat action figure-related. An SLA 3D printer. I'm pretty excited.
Actually, it's a kit. I looked at the assembled price and was like fuck that.

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Found a Legends Silver Surfer at Walgreens finally. Also grabbed a 90's Cyclops from ebay for $40. Trying to get myself a Rogue but doesnt look like Ima be able to get one for less than $60 ughhhh

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Found a Legends Silver Surfer at Walgreens finally. Also grabbed a 90's Cyclops from ebay for $40. Trying to get myself a Rogue but doesnt look like Ima be able to get one for less than $60 ughhhh

Wow, there was a Target near here that still had Rogue almost a year after they first got some in.
I only saw Cyclops in a store once.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I remember teasing someone in here for having like 46 predator figures.
After getting my first, now I understand why.

MG310

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Five Below near you they probably got in the Marvel Legends Mantis wave - Movie Star-Lord,Rocket,Gamora,Nebula, comic Death's Head II, Ex Nihilo, Adam Warlock at 5 dollars each.

I found 50 figures at one store then just a single Death's Head or two Rockets at others. After a day the 50 figure store was down to half and all of the Nebulas/Gamoras were gone.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
I remember teasing someone in here for having like 46 predator figures.
After getting my first, now I understand why.

I've got 20+ of them, so that might have been me? They're pretty amazing figures. Despite being basically the same figure, they all feel like different. Which one did you get?

I havent bought any of those Mezco 1/12 figures yet but that Blade is mighty tempting as a first one

Same. Blade and Ghost Rider both are very tempting.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I've got 20+ of them, so that might have been me? They're pretty amazing figures. Despite being basically the same figure, they all feel like different. Which one did you get?
The fugitive one that just came out but yeah honestly I might just grab as many as I can now(at least of the same scale) because this one is fantastic

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
The fugitive one that just came out but yeah honestly I might just grab as many as I can now(at least of the same scale) because this one is fantastic

I got him recently as well. He's amazing. With all the alternate parts, there's just so many options to display him. Just an outstanding figure. He fits right in scale wise with all the older figures. I can't wait for them to release their Upgrade Predator from the movie. He looks phenomenal. Given his scale in the trailers, he'll probably be 10 or 11 inches tall. Just a mammoth Predator.

SDCC-2018-NECA-Assassin-Predator-020.jpg

SDCC-2018-NECA-Assassin-Predator-038.jpg

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
I got him recently as well. He's amazing. With all the alternate parts, there's just so many options to display him. Just an outstanding figure. He fits right in scale wise with all the older figures. I can't wait for them to release their Upgrade Predator from the movie. He looks phenomenal. Given his scale in the trailers, he'll probably be 10 or 11 inches tall. Just a mammoth Predator.

SDCC-2018-NECA-Assassin-Predator-020.jpg

SDCC-2018-NECA-Assassin-Predator-038.jpg
Ill put it next to my demogorgon, which i will own...someday. i also need a Mind Flayer

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else forget they preorder shit only to be surprised on your bank statements when they ship? Totally forgot about the Metal Robot Damashii Zeta Plus C1 release.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else forget they preorder shit only to be surprised on your bank statements when they ship? Totally forgot about the Metal Robot Damashii Zeta Plus C1 release.

All the time! I have 30+ preorders of Hot Toys figures on BBTS and they've been awful about notifying me when they receive it in their warehouse. So I'll just get an e-mail that a package is on the way.

Oct 26, 2017

I used to have that problem and also ordering the same figures twice because I'd forgotten about a previous order, so now I keep a spreadsheet of all my orders/preorders along with when they're expected. Helps a ton. I also put tracking numbers in there when they ship so I have one place I can easily look up status on my orders.

Supa Necta

Oct 25, 2017
If you have a Five Below near you they probably got in the Marvel Legends Mantis wave - Movie Star-Lord,Rocket,Gamora,Nebula, comic Death's Head II, Ex Nihilo, Adam Warlock at 5 dollars each.

I found 50 figures at one store then just a single Death's Head or two Rockets at others. After a day the 50 figure store was down to half and all of the Nebulas/Gamoras were gone.

Thanks for the heads up. Picked up the last 3 at a local Five Below. I'll check another in my area after work.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon figma are up for pre-order. DX version seems to actually include two figures. 10k after the Nintendo tax. Woof.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Such a shame both of them are pale white, especially since the Splatoon 2 girl officially has dark skin.

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Got the classic One:12 Doctor Strange in today.

Hot DAMN this is my favorite release yet. Phenomenal attention to detail. Head sculpt is incredible, the new super-slim body mold is perfect, and the wired cloak looks crazy good.

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
I have the first Berserker Armor Figma, but I just ordered this one too because you know it has new hat!
Got it from Amiami BTW

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
I'm really considering ordering the Figuarts Hulkbuster (Infinity War version) before they cut off orders on 20th... but dang is it expensive. Ahhh

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really considering ordering the Figuarts Hulkbuster (Infinity War version) before they cut off orders on 20th... but dang is it expensive. Ahhh

If it's not within your allocated figure budget then don't buy it. If you really wanted it I don't think you'd have been so hesitant.

Anyways, finally snapped a good number of photos for my latest purchase, Metamor Force God Gravion by Sentinel.

Overall I had a lot of fun with this figure. Might be my favorite new toy of the year.

Last edited: