• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else feel at war with their own aesthetic tastes?

I should preface this by saying this isn't about shame or embarassment resulting from this hobby, it's about conflicting personal feelings regarding what I want my home to look like.

I enjoy figures and toys but no matter how hard I try they just look like shit on display, especially with multiple figures clustered together. Shelves look like cluttered messes and it's not aesthetically pleasing at all. But if i pack stuff up in boxes I feel like it's all pointless and a waste, and I still like collecting these things (for the record, i don't keep things in boxes nor do i keep the empty boxes).

I want a home that looks clean and somewhat minimalist. I like wood and classy stuff that makes me feel "like an adult." This hobby is completely at odds with that. (And if I'm being honest this is part of why i went all-digital with games and stopped buying videos.)

But, you know, i do love the aesthetic of a cool toy. It's when you start displaying the toys together that things become a problem.

Bonus:

20190108-075117.jpg

So don't order from China

Last edited:

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
So what's the best way to avoid getting a bootleg on eBay?
I know, in general, China is a red flag by default and I know "no box" is practically a guaranteed bootleg.
But what if, say, the price isn't "too good to be true" and it does have a box but still ships from China? And do bootlegs ship from Japan as well?

When the country of origin doesn't mean that much because a lot of the seller are using a (fake) store front in an other country. I ordered a few items from France, Germany, UK, but when I look at my PayPal recipient, the seller's name is always Chinese. But I haven't gotten a single bootleg till now (or the quality is high enough that I can't notice the difference :P)

edit: lol, minutes after posting this message I was going through my mail and received my very first knock off from ebay :P Just sent a request for a refund.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Diggeh

Oct 25, 2017
Lupin is an awesome figure! I got the whole gang and they look amazing together! (Mind the ancient 2016 picture)
img_20170103_175447g1ije.jpg

...Except...the Goemon we're never going to get...

DqbZqA5WoAIpnNU.jpg

sigh

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
For those interested, SHMonsterart Godzilla and Kig Ghidorah from the new movie are up for pre-order. Nice early bird discount.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=FIGURE-045277

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=FIGURE-045276

I've never bought anything from the line before nor Godzilla so how scarce and rare would the likes of King Ghidorah be down the road?

Just curious as I apparently had a bunch of old points with CDJapan, after ordering something in 2008 and then receiving emails since then throwing points at me, so I ordered Godzilla through them for $60 including EMS shipping. So obviously I might wanna add King at some point...lol

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017

I should preface this by saying this isn't about shame or embarassment resulting from this hobby, it's about conflicting personal feelings regarding what I want my home to look like.

I enjoy figures and toys but no matter how hard I try they just look like shit on display, especially with multiple figures clustered together. Shelves look like cluttered messes and it's not aesthetically pleasing at all. But if i pack stuff up in boxes I feel like it's all pointless and a waste, and I still like collecting these things (for the record, i don't keep things in boxes nor do i keep the empty boxes).

I want a home that looks clean and somewhat minimalist. I like wood and classy stuff that makes me feel "like an adult." This hobby is completely at odds with that. (And if I'm being honest this is part of why i went all-digital with games and stopped buying videos.)

But, you know, i do love the aesthetic of a cool toy. It's when you start displaying the toys together that things become a problem.

Bonus:

20190108-075117.jpg

So don't order from China

Consider taking some detailed, artistic macro and narrow DOF photos of your favorites and just sell them on. You can refer to the pics on your hard drive or printed photo album when you want to appreciate them, without having them take up too much space and ruining your desired design aesthetic. Or store them all in an ottoman or something, lol.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Consider taking some detailed, artistic macro and narrow DOF photos of your favorites and just sell them on. You can refer to the pics on your hard drive or printed photo album when you want to appreciate them, without having them take up too much space and ruining your desired design aesthetic. Or store them all in an ottoman or something, lol.
Oh no no no, that does absolutely nothing for me. If i wanted to just look at pictures i could do that online. Save a lot of money.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I've never bought anything from the line before nor Godzilla so how scarce and rare would the likes of King Ghidorah be down the road?

Just curious as I apparently had a bunch of old points with CDJapan, after ordering something in 2008 and then receiving emails since then throwing points at me, so I ordered Godzilla through them for $60 including EMS shipping. So obviously I might wanna add King at some point...lol

Seems it might become rare with time, based on current price of the previous King Ghidora toy. Even the Mecha King Ghidorah toy has become very expensive, and that had it's price slashed for a while. Guess only the Big G gets constant reissues.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017

If you want a MonsterArts figure, it's best to buy it within the first 6 months of release. The last re-issue of King Ghidorah commands stupid money on the secondary market. I'm sure this new version will be no different. It's better to get him quick, then wait and see the price double within a year.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Plasticine what's a good place to check out early impressions? One of the things that made me not buy the previous release were the frequent reports of brittle wings so I want to make sure this version avoids it as well.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
For MonsterArts, I go to DiegoDoom and the Gryphon's Lair. I'm sure there's other sources, but they're very thorough in terms of pictures / video examination of the figures. DiegoDoom does seem to love everything, but he'll touch on negatives and the quality of his reviews are second to none.

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
Sup guys. Long time no see. Been busy raising a toddler and I don't want him to see me on my phone all the time so I have sacrificed a lot of my forum posting.

But I've finally filled my Detolfs and installed some lighting and wanted to share with you all!

tPwG3qA.jpg

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Seems it might become rare with time, based on current price of the previous King Ghidora toy. Even the Mecha King Ghidorah toy has become very expensive, and that had it's price slashed for a while. Guess only the Big G gets constant reissues.
If you want a MonsterArts figure, it's best to buy it within the first 6 months of release. The last re-issue of King Ghidorah commands stupid money on the secondary market. I'm sure this new version will be no different. It's better to get him quick, then wait and see the price double within a year.

Cool, thanks guys for the feedback! Guess I'll need to pre-order him sooner than later then...

On a different line, does anyone have the Storm Collectibles MK line and maybe wants to part with Scorpion and Sub Zero for a reasonable price that isn't $300 a piece? lol Shao Kahn turned out awesome along with Goro and with Baraka looking great I'm kicking myself I missed out on the 2 OG ninjas.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

But, you know, i do love the aesthetic of a cool toy. It's when you start displaying the toys together that things become a problem

Build a false wall out of panels of tinted glass. Have shelving and lights behind the glass. Install lighting back there. Flip the lighting on and you can see the stuff. Flip it off and your toys are invisible. Maybe have individual switches for each section of your display.

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
So ... I received a second package from ebay this week, a bootleg again :/ The seller agreed to refund the total amount and I can keep the figure. The only proplem is, besides the crappy paintjob (which I can repaint myself), the NECA covenant alien is also missing its lower jaw :( So, does anybody know if I can order replacement pieces somewhere ?

Sup guys. Long time no see. Been busy raising a toddler and I don't want him to see me on my phone all the time so I have sacrificed a lot of my forum posting.

But I've finally filled my Detolfs and installed some lighting and wanted to share with you all!

I'm not a Star Wars fan, but damn, this looks stunning !

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I had the same thoughts a few years ago. I ended up getting rid of most of my figures and turned my focus on fewer, nicer pieces. Instead of having a ton of Star Wars toys around, I picked just a few things to represent the series. Same for other franchises I enjoy. I still get a figure occasionally but there's no big display of them anymore. It's mostly statues and Hot Toys dolls now. I still have a couple of areas with a hodgepodge of things, such as a table with a few Nintendo plushes on it, but overall I much prefer having a more minimalist, cleaner house.

In fact, most of my collectibles are all on one shelving unit I had built three years ago when renovating my house. Each is roughly 25" x 25", so it takes up a decent amount of space but being build in the wall it's not bad. Have you given much more thought to what you're going to do?

That's a damn nice display. And a fantastic selection of characters too. I dig the Han/Leia pose.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
New Super7 Supercast.

The pertinent MOTU stuff..
  • Club Grayskull Wave 3 and Intimates en route to the US to arrive for customers in Feb.
  • Collector's Classic Wave 3 to be revealed at Toy Fair in Feb and orders/availability in March
Everyone seems to assume CC Wave 3 is mostly figures from the '87 movie hence why its taken awhile?

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I really need to get some lighting for my detolfs - that looks amazing KoruptData

Randy (NECA) teasing some stuff for Toy Fair on Twitter

Also, a look at the upcoming Alien 3 creature pack

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Awesome! I saw Randy also confirmed the Ultimate Big Chap is coming but will be revealed later in the year and won't be at Toy Fair. I'd assume Alien Day at earliest?

Received my first figure purchase of 2019 yesterday. lol
6eU2uB2.jpg

dangeROSS

Oct 28, 2017

I had the same thoughts a few years ago. I ended up getting rid of most of my figures and turned my focus on fewer, nicer pieces. Instead of having a ton of Star Wars toys around, I picked just a few things to represent the series. Same for other franchises I enjoy. I still get a figure occasionally but there's no big display of them anymore. It's mostly statues and Hot Toys dolls now. I still have a couple of areas with a hodgepodge of things, such as a table with a few Nintendo plushes on it, but overall I much prefer having a more minimalist, cleaner house.

Yea I agree. Probably 99% of my collection is boxed away. It's hard to have things on display and make it look clean and presentable. And I like having a relatively minimalist/clean look. Yet I feel the pull of having figures. Doing my best now to not really buy any more stuff and keep my collection lean. I have been trying to part with alot of my Marvel Legends and other figures lately as I have started feeling less is more might be the way to go.

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! I saw Randy also confirmed the Ultimate Big Chap is coming but will be revealed later in the year and won't be at Toy Fair. I'd assume Alien Day at earliest?

6eU2uB2.jpg

I love this figure so much. I've got the Ultimate versions of He-Man, Teela and Faker as well. Awesome line. I really wish we would get more of them (especially a much needed Fisto), but Super 7 doesn't seem in a rush.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If that Shredder is 1/4 scale, and I'm guessing it is, I might have to find a spot for that. Still a fantastic movie all these years later, and my favorite depiction of Shredder.

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017

6eU2uB2.jpg
Oh man, I can't wait for mine to be shipped... hopefully soon!!

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
I love this figure so much. I've got the Ultimate versions of He-Man, Teela and Faker as well. Awesome line. I really wish we would get more of them (especially a much needed Fisto), but Super 7 doesn't seem in a rush.

I'm currently trying to win the bid for Ultimate He-Man so hopefully I can add him to the collection soon! Really quality figure though, I'm just torn on opening it given how much I paid....lol

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I came close to just buying the SP//dr wave as a set like I did with the Lizard wave, but I just found a very mildly scalped Scarlet Spider at a comic book shop. $25.

Also, that Alien 3 set is up on BBTS with full description and set of promo images.
It comes with those three figures and a Rottweiler.

Last edited:

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
If that Shredder is 1/4 scale, and I'm guessing it is, I might have to find a spot for that. Still a fantastic movie all these years later, and my favorite depiction of Shredder.

It is indeed 1/4 scale mate : )

I came close to just buying the SP//dr wave as a set like I did with the Lizard wave, but I just found a very mildly scalped Scarlet Spider at a comic book shop. $25.

Also, that Alien 3 set is up on BBTS with full description and set of promo images.
It comes with those three figures and a Rottweiler.

It looks great!

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Got new Mega Man and Dr. Wily figures at GameStop last night. :) They look great paired with the Jazwares Retro Roto Mega Man figures from 2005.

Dr. Wily thought he had the upper hand. He quickly realized about a minute later that he was wrong when he surrendered.

img_4386w4kl1.jpg

img_4385u9jc5.jpg

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Whew. Managed to secure and win a Ultimate He-Man to join Skeletor next Wednesday.

Man, MOTU is already proving to be an expensive brand for my hobby what the hell. lol My own fault for starting late though.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Ughh I don't collect MOTU but I really want a Skeletor to mix in with all my other 6inch figs

Well there's a few options at least! The Ultimate Super7 version is the most expensive but the animation style is around $50 and the 200X and New Adventures Cyber version are like $25-35. Those 2 look quite good actually in particular the 200X.

Anyone familiar with CM Toys? They just announced Dragonborn that looks great.
182548rb2x9e92b2fx5nnq-528x668.jpg

ohhthegore

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah the animation one is the one I have my eyes on but I don't know if I can pull the trigger on 50 bucks for it

Plasticine

Oct 25, 2017
Whew. Managed to secure and win a Ultimate He-Man to join Skeletor next Wednesday.

Man, MOTU is already proving to be an expensive brand for my hobby what the hell. lol My own fault for starting late though.

Glad you got him. He's awesome. So many display options! I had missed the pre-order on them, but snagged the wave (minus Ram Man) for like $250. Worth every penny, I think. As a latecomer, it is a stupid expensive line to collect. Figures run $50 - $100 if you're lucky. They're so pricey, I decided to stick with my favoite big characters. I only need Tri-Klops to complete the collection I'm going for.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Glad you got him. He's awesome. So many display options! I had missed the pre-order on them, but snagged the wave (minus Ram Man) for like $250. Worth every penny, I think. As a latecomer, it is a stupid expensive line to collect. Figures run $50 - $100 if you're lucky. They're so pricey, I decided to stick with my favoite big characters. I only need Tri-Klops to complete the collection I'm going for.

Yeah I may just stick to these 2 given the prices but if I'll keep my eye out for a decent priced Teela and Faker. He-Man did arrive today tho despite the wintery weather...
qN6AbWT.jpg

I've got a few Super7 ones on pre-order not to mention the Mondo line, which I hope releases one of them soon because they're teasing the pre-order for Faker on social media but I'm not dropping any more cash until I have either He-Man or Skeletor in hand.