• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
^^^ I hope they do a Superman!

I really like how the mafex figures look, but they're all like, $100 each.

SiDCrAzY

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Might finally be time to upgrade my low quality DC Multiverse Batman. Now if only I could find a better quality Carrie Kelly figure and maybe Batgirl of Burnside......

The DC Icons Batgirl looks pretty nice IMO.

DC-Icons-Burnside-Batgirl-016.jpg

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I just can't get past that. I got my first two figures from them for $40 each only a couple years ago, NOT on sale.
I've bought a couple somewhat recently, but they were heavily discounted. The two latest ones looked amazing, but had some extremely loose joints straight out of the box. One of them had a leg that would fall off if you looked at it wrong. I fixed both of them but that's not what I expect for a $100 MSRP.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get past that. I got my first two figures from them for $40 each only a couple years ago, NOT on sale.
I've bought a couple somewhat recently, but they were heavily discounted. The two latest ones looked amazing, but had some extremely loose joints straight out of the box. One of them had a leg that would fall off if you looked at it wrong. I fixed both of them but that's not what I expect for a $100 MSRP.

I also have some of the slightly older mafex figures. An Iron Man from AoU and a couple of the TDKR figures. All had floppy joints and the wrist pegs snapped on my Batman. I don't really trust medicom's qc enough to continue dropping near $100 each for them. It's a shame because they've been picking up a lot of awesome licenses.

Maybe they've gotten better lately? I haven't heard any complaints about their newer stuff.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
^^^ I hope they do a Superman!

I have their comic spider-man and it's fantastic. I think their quality has been improving in recent years. Also, they're a lot cheaper when going through import stores than places like BBTS

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also have some of the slightly older mafex figures. An Iron Man from AoU and a couple of the TDKR figures. All had floppy joints and the wrist pegs snapped on my Batman. I don't really trust medicom's qc enough to continue dropping near $100 each for them. It's a shame because they've been picking up a lot of awesome licenses.

Maybe they've gotten better lately? I haven't heard any complaints about their newer stuff.

The one with the leg that wouldn't stay on was Dark Knight 3.0, which first started showing up in the hands of reviewers 13 months ago.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have their comic spider-man and it's fantastic. I think their quality has been improving in recent years. Also, they're a lot cheaper when going through import stores than places like BBTS

I wants that Spider-Man. But now I have to decide between the released one and the one they just revealed, with the extra comic shading.

Yeah they look better and better but so expensive
MAFEX-Hush-Batman-002.jpg

Looks amazing. They gotta do a superman to match. It's so hard to find a good comic-based, high-quality, well-articulated Superman figure.

The one with the leg that wouldn't stay on was Dark Knight 3.0, which first started showing up in the hands of reviewers 13 months ago.

that's pretty new, daaamn. I was considering upgrading to the 3.0 from my 2.0 too. Ehhh.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how deep mafex will go in on the mcu figures. They just announced their Thor figure, and that looks really good and I think it's about time Figuarts had some competition in that price range.

I wanted to pick up some of the Figuarts mcu stuff, but I hate dealing with Bandai's web exclusive shenanigans. Maybe just Thanos, then.

Anybody have their Endgame Thanos? How is it?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder how deep mafex will go in on the mcu figures. They just announced their Thor figure, and that looks really good and I think it's about time Figuarts had some competition in that price range.

I wanted to pick up some of the Figuarts mcu stuff, but I hate dealing with Bandai's web exclusive shenanigans. Maybe just Thanos, then.

Anybody have their Endgame Thanos? How is it?

I love the MCU but I'd rather they make more comic book based figures instead. I haven't looked at mafex in a long time but looking at the lineup, I'd be all in if they revealed more of those jim-lee era X-men. Have they? I see Cyclops and Wolverine.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love the MCU but I'd rather they make more comic book based figures instead. I haven't looked at mafex in a long time but looking at the lineup, I'd be all in if they revealed more of those jim-lee era X-men. Have they? I see Cyclops and Wolverine.

Just Cyclops and Wolverine, but I'd wager that the rest of Jim Lee's X-Men are a safe bet. Not JL but their Venom looks excellent and might be THE 1/12 Venom to beat.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god help me,
Hot-Toys-Batman-Forever-002-1.jpg

I might pull the trigger on these,
I haven't liked the movie since I was 5 but they are Hot Toys and dripping nostalgia.

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda mad I passed on Figma Solid Snake and the Gurlukovich soldier,
I only saw a few bad pictures of them and the soldier looked way out of scale so I dropped them.

Kinda tempted to get them now.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
might be a stupid question, but anyone have any idea how hard it might be to remove the bomber jacket on this cyclops? i want the set otherwise & just want regular cyk (missed his legends from a few years back & it shot up)

also: do y'all have any good ideas on tracking down BAF parts? id like to assemble kingpin but i only wanted like 2 figures from the line, ebay prices make it look like you might as well just buy fucking puma when he's cheap and be done with it

^^^ As someone who missed out on the last Jim Lee Cyclops I will need this 3 pack, even if it's not the look I really want for Scott.

speaking of Legends, I just cracked open the newly released 80th Anniversary Hulk vs. Wolverine 2-pack, and I gotta say, I love this new Hulk. I thought the Figuarts Broly figure I just got was a big boy, but this Hulk is even bigger! And also beats out the recent Figuarts Infinity War Hulk. He's got these really awesome butterfly shoulder joints that let you bring his shoulders waaaaay back.

I really love it and this set overall even if I don't really give a rat's butt about the First Appearance Wolverine, it's still a quality figure.

oh man, same - bought that set today just for Hulk, and yeah, he's so great. the ripped shirt is a fantastic detail, just glad to have him & juggy tower over everyone on my shelf who's not galactus

The X-Men reveals and that Doom are hyping me off the charts 🙌

Y'all shouldn't have slept on the other FF figures 😏

agreed, and agreed

Last edited:

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why does bbts take forever to process an in-stock order? been like, 6 days and it still hasn't shipped.

@#$%&
tracking down a cyk is hard enough, no idea what Jean goes for. will they be selling these individually at some point?

noticed that bbts still has the full wave that includes Cyclops. If you wanna do the leg work of selling the rest of the wave and just keeping Cykes, that's an option.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
The old Jean figure is bad tho, so this is a very nice upgrade.

agreed - the way these things go, there's no chance that Jean will be sold solo, yeah?

noticed that bbts still has the full wave that includes Cyclops. If you wanna do the leg work of selling the rest of the wave and just keeping Cykes, that's an option.

ah that's an option too, cheers!

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
figma D.Va looks great.
5gi5FQ0.png
rXTtVha.png
bAIUaXJ.png

Now I just need Hasbro to do a MEKA for her to sit in, because there's no way I could afford a Good Smile MEKA of that scale.

Jamesways

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
Got the Kotobukiya Big Chap in the mail yesterday. SUPER IMPRESSIVE figure! Just amazing looking.
Fantastic paint apps., and definitely one of the most impressive 8" Alien sculpts out there. Only real drawback is it's a fixed pose. I'll have to take some pics of the corner walls and LED it comes with as well.
Alyssa, do you have this one?
0kAs4QI.jpg

axBuLPP.jpg

KF3MKHw.jpg

JiOAK13.jpg

oTLSuJB.jpg

xWY0sJY.jpg

With the Mafex
vRzLapX.jpg

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The Spider-Gwen is one of my favorite figures, even more so than the Spider-man and Venom from the same line!
I just wish her actual face sculpt wasn't so small and those shoulders didn't stick out so much. Overall happy with it though, I got it missing a few pieces for the stands (which I can at least probably rig back together with other stands I own) and with some paint missing from her right hip/upper thigh piece but it was $50 cheaper than I saw online and getting Robbi Rodriguez to sign it was a real treat!

Now that I'm back home I checked out Gamestop for some preorders, and finally got Legends Mysterio and Black Series Maul & Anakin! Oh man Mysterio isn't super articulated but he moves nicely and is fun to pose. Then on a whim I strolled through my job's toy dept. and saw a Rescue figure on clearance for $9! I made out real nice this week on the action figure front.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
oh man, I just unearthed these in my downstairs closet. Does anyone remember Kubricks?

Freezasaurus1564548643.jpeg

Freezasaurus1564548656.jpeg
Freezasaurus1564548668.jpeg

Got the Kotobukiya Big Chap in the mail yesterday. SUPER IMPRESSIVE figure! Just amazing looking.
Fantastic paint apps., and definitely one of the most impressive 8" Alien sculpts out there. Only real drawback is it's a fixed pose. I'll have to take some pics of the corner walls and LED it comes with as well.
Yeah, I grabbed all three of the ArtFX+ Alien figures that Kotobukiya put out. Really nice pieces.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
^^^ those are cute lol

So Revoltech showed off their new Yamaguchi Harley Quinn and I'm kinda digging it:
Amazing-Yamaguchi-Revoltech-Harley-Quinn-002.jpg

Amazing-Yamaguchi-Revoltech-Harley-Quinn-005.jpg

I was interested in getting a Suicide Squad Harley cause I just think Margot Robbie owned that role, but this is giving her a run for her money in terms of figures methinks.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just wish her actual face sculpt wasn't so small and those shoulders didn't stick out so much. Overall happy with it though, I got it missing a few pieces for the stands (which I can at least probably rig back together with other stands I own) and with some paint missing from her right hip/upper thigh piece but it was $50 cheaper than I saw online and getting Robbi Rodriguez to sign it was a real treat!

Now that I'm back home I checked out Gamestop for some preorders, and finally got Legends Mysterio and Black Series Maul & Anakin! Oh man Mysterio isn't super articulated but he moves nicely and is fun to pose. Then on a whim I strolled through my job's toy dept. and saw a Rescue figure on clearance for $9! I made out real nice this week on the action figure front.

Nice! Frankly, I haven't been impressed by any of the Revoltech Amazing Yamaguchi face sculpts on the ones I own. They're all too small and stylized, but not in a good way like Mafex would do. If you want to go the custom route, I've seen a few painted head sculpts made for the Revotelch Gwen body, from NOTA Studio on ebay. I don't think it's a recast, but I can't be sure. Just fyi.

I've kinda put the brakes on Revoltech for now, though. I didn't pick up Mags or Gambit, nor any of the DC stuff.

Buuuuuut, that Harley looks really good. Arrrgh.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
If you want to go the custom route, I've seen a few painted head sculpts made for the Revotelch Gwen body, from NOTA Studio on ebay. I don't think it's a recast, but I can't be sure. Just fyi.
Oh no I'm gonna fall down this rabbit hole hard

I generally avoid the higher price stuff if I can, but for certain figs the articulation, sculpts, accessories, height compared to other characters (big deal for me if a fig is supposed to be a kid or whatever), etc. will put me over the edge. In Harley's case that's prolly the cheapest figure that I think looks good atm.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I know this is a weird question because Revoltech is all about the joint system, but have they improved it since the earlier releases? Because I have an Assemble Borg toy right here on my desk and while it can hit some decent poses it's a pain and a half to play with.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Siege Jetfire is fucking majestic.
Barely fits in the box, too. I like that.
Also, he has actual handles that pop out of his love handles.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh no I'm gonna fall down this rabbit hole hard

I generally avoid the higher price stuff if I can, but for certain figs the articulation, sculpts, accessories, height compared to other characters (big deal for me if a fig is supposed to be a kid or whatever), etc. will put me over the edge. In Harley's case that's prolly the cheapest figure that I think looks good atm.

It's a deep rabbit hole to fall down. lol. I've already bought a couple custom heads for my Figuarts figures, and they ain't exactly cheap.

I love Revoltech and most of the time I can mostly rationalize the high price point, but the price being what it is certainly limits how deep I can go in on one specific line.

I wonder if this is what Hot Toys collectors feel like, except multiplied by 3 or 4. lol

I know this is a weird question because Revoltech is all about the joint system, but have they improved it since the earlier releases? Because I have an Assemble Borg toy right here on my desk and while it can hit some decent poses it's a pain and a half to play with.

I've noticed that Revoltech have started to shy away from their standard clicky ratchted joints on their newer figures. For example, their new Bleeding Edge Iron Man has zero clicky joints. The joint system certainly doesn't look any better, but the movement is still has the crazy range.. Can't speak for quality but none of the joints have snapped on mine yet. But they usually include extra joints in the box so that's awesome.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Here's my video on the SH MonsterArts King Ghidorah 2019. I like it overall, just has quite a few issues... the wings are a bit of a nightmare, might need to glue them or something. They like to fall off, surprised I haven't broken one yet.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Here's my video on the SH MonsterArts King Ghidorah 2019. I like it overall, just has quite a few issues... the wings are a bit of a nightmare, might need to glue them or something. They like to fall off, surprised I haven't broken one yet.

Yeah, I skipped it because reviews for it were somehow worse than the original King Ghidorah. You'd think they'd learn from that.

CheeseConey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I skipped it because reviews for it were somehow worse than the original King Ghidorah. You'd think they'd learn from that.

Once its up on the shelf its fine... but man shooting this video was by far the most difficult one I've done. The thing straight up face planted while I was adjusting the camera at one point. It was stressful. Its too bad they couldn't figure out a better solution for the wings. The paint isn't the best either, but under certain lighting conditions it actually looks okay. Hoping they do a revision at some point.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I had a shit-ton of the old Playmates toys when I was a kid. Nothing will ever top those for me.

Did playmates make that big Technodrome playset I always wanted but never got as a kid?

I have some TMNT figures, depends on which ones you want. Original cartoon, one of the new cartoons, original movie turtles, comic turtles? There are some good choices out there. Most by NECA.

Pretty much my only requirement is that it must be 6" scale. I think Neca only does 7" scale?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Did playmates make that big Technodrome playset I always wanted but never got as a kid?
Yep. I had that, and the sewer playset. Toys were so well-made back then. And each one only cost like $50 MSRP. I remember when they first brought back TMNT, the sewer playset for that line was $100 and only consisted of a cardboard backdrop and some plastic platforms.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Pretty much my only requirement is that it must be 6" scale. I think Neca only does 7" scale?

Well, at least the NECA movie stuff is 7" scale. I managed to get all four of 'em earlier this year and they're fantastic. :D

The toon Turtles they have are 6-inch scale, I believe.

...Good luck getting any of them though since each of NECA's TMNT lines are exclusive to different stores. I had to watch the local Gamestops like a hawk for the movie Turtles.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. I had that, and the sewer playset. Toys were so well-made back then. And each one only cost like $50 MSRP. I remember when they first brought back TMNT, the sewer playset for that line was $100 and only consisted of a cardboard backdrop and some plastic platforms.

Like this one? You're right it looks pretty flimsy for $100 dollars. I'd still be over the moon if I got that as a kid, though!

Well, at least the NECA movie stuff is 7" scale. I managed to get all four of 'em earlier this year and they're fantastic. :D

The toon Turtles they have are 6-inch scale, I believe.

...Good luck getting any of them though since each of NECA's TMNT lines are exclusive to different stores. I had to watch the local Gamestops like a hawk for the movie Turtles.

...Yeeeahhh I've been looking into the NECA ones and I think I've missed the train for those since they seemingly go for some crazy prices. Only chance I have now are tracking down those Target Exclusive 2-packs. I did see a Donatello vs Krang pack at my local Target yesterday.

The Figuarts ones look kinda basic to me for the price, tbh.