• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
qOLFlgO.jpg

Got me Palps.
Also preordered RoS Rey.

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
Sick! What lights did you use? Just ordered 2 sets of Dioders and about to apply them later today.

I can look when I get home. They change 7 different colors and have a remote control that goes with them. Bought off Amazon.

edit. Found it. I didn't go the most economical route. Didn't realize sizes of stuff as I went.

GPsfDXu.png

And the most important thing, outdoor double sided adhesive tap as the 3M stuff the comes on the strips doesn't cut it on these glass shelf's.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Its looking more and more like Hasbro is losing the Star Wars license.
Hasbro has started shipping 5 year old factory reject packs to discount retailers,
5below.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

thats after the stupid gold repaint figures released instead of a main Star Wars line,
which were after stores got clogged with many of the same figures in Galaxy of Adventures art.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hasbro losing Star Wars would be a disaster for collectors. They're just starting to get deep into the OT in 6" and have a good foundation in the PT.
Also, other companies can't compete with their combination of likeness, articulation and durability at around the $20 price point.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
I find that hard to believe. Baby Yoda merch will release in May and they'll make six billion dollars.

I can see Hasbro pushing out as much Star Wars product as they can before the licensing agreement ends. Hasbro still has the Marvel license and I believe that's their most profitable partner brand within the past few years.

Cross-posting from the pick-ups thread, I got Pop Culture Shock's 1/4 scale statues of M. Bison for $265 and Shadaloo Cammy for $200. A local comic shop was running a 50% sale and I couldn't pass them up. I'm very impressed with the Bison; it's such a large and commanding statue. Cammy's more of a companion piece and works well when paired with Bison. I'm just wondering what other statues I missed out on since they had started their 50% off sale a few weeks ago.

HtEQPWj.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I find that hard to believe. Baby Yoda merch will release in May and they'll make six billion dollars.
There are a lot of issues currently going on,
Disney isn't happy with Hasbro
Hasbro isn't happy with the absolutely massive fee and guaranteed payments Disney gets on everything
Mattel loses the DC license next year and is going all in on a Star Wars pitch to replace it (they previously wrestled Jurassic Park from Hasbro who had it since JP1 Kenner days)
retailers are happy with how Hasbro screws them over with assortments and such

Hasbro are being so hesitant with new molds and even killed off the main Star Wars line,
Look how nonexistent the Rise of Skywalker selection is for Black Series.
or 1 RoS vehicle
1 Mandalorian repaint vehicle, 1 new vehicle coming in March.
Forces of Destiny was a disaster on Hasbro's side.
Resistance merchandise was an afterthought disaster from Hasbro
Rebels wasn't well supported
Clone Wars return certainly won't be supported

Feels like Hasbro will milk Baby Yoda while they can and then drop it.

The license hasn't gotten this close to expiration before either,
New deal began in 1997 and was for 10 years,
Lucasfilm reupped the agreement in 2003 to last until 2018.
Disney renegotiated it in 2013 to include the new stuff and extended it until 2020.

Hasbro losing Star Wars would be a disaster for collectors. They're just starting to get deep into the OT in 6" and have a good foundation in the PT.
Also, other companies can't compete with their combination of likeness, articulation and durability at around the $20 price point.
i think my only hope would be the Mattel Jurassic World team getting the 3.75 stuff but deciding they need to match the quality of the Vintage Collection and Black Series designs.
JP Humans were like $8 right, I'd be fine with
$8 mass figure at that quality
$13 Vintage collection style figure with better paint and articulation
$20 6" Black series style

Last edited:

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
So it's safe to say that Carbonized Target Exclusive Mandalorian is just a white whale golden goose at MSRP right now.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone actually like the carbonized version or is it some completionist thing?
They made the fabric look metallic on that one. Like wtf.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I just know if they lose the license, the figures are going to be bad for a good while if the early Hasbro Marvel Legends are a indicator.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
It still annoying that stores near my house still got the Rogue One pegwarmers still there, with those stores never ordering any new waves since.

But yeah Hasbro not the best, but they are far better then the other companies that I can think of. McFarlane and Mattel articulation suck and NECA are nice but fragile and hard to find in stores.

Oct 25, 2017
It still annoying that stores near my house still got the Rogue One pegwarmers still there, with those stores never ordering any new waves since.
My Walmart had the 3.75 Black Series Jyn and Cassians till early in this year,
When they were finale hitting $3 and $1.50 I cleard them out of about 11+ Jyn snd 4 Cassians.
I have to say that Jyn headsculpt is one of the best female headsculpts in that scale for customs, even works for GI JOE.

But for Christmas literally all my walmart had was hundreds of the gold figures and about 15 Vintage collection Yavin Ceremony Luke.

I just know if they lose the license, the figures are going to be bad for a good while if the early Hasbro Marvel Legends are a indicator.
The hope would be that with Mattel going all in on their pitch as sources have said, they will try to specifically make better figures than what currently is out there.
They did that with the Jurassic World pitch for example and won.

They will have a hard time matching Vintage and Black Series but Mattel can destroy Hasbro on recent mainline and vehicles.
Feel like Mattel for example wouldn't be too scared to do stuff like the Mandalorian's ship, The Ghost or a proper scaled U-Wing in the first few years.
BrachioHD.jpg

Last edited:

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Cross-posting from the pick-ups thread, I got Pop Culture Shock's 1/4 scale statues of M. Bison for $265 and Shadaloo Cammy for $200. A local comic shop was running a 50% sale and I couldn't pass them up. I'm very impressed with the Bison; it's such a large and commanding statue. Cammy's more of a companion piece and works well when paired with Bison. I'm just wondering what other statues I missed out on since they had started their 50% off sale a few weeks ago.

HtEQPWj.jpg

OMG both of those are amazing. But that Cammy... *heavybreathing.gif*
Must.resist.

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
Its looking more and more like Hasbro is losing the Star Wars license.
Hasbro has started shipping 5 year old factory reject packs to discount retailers,
5below.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

thats after the stupid gold repaint figures released instead of a main Star Wars line,
which were after stores got clogged with many of the same figures in Galaxy of Adventures art.

These things look so bad D:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I haven't bought a DC figure since Mattel shuddered their old line with a thud as online exclusives, and the product I've seen in stores hasn't really tempted me at all. So if they get the license, RIP Star Wars, at least for a few years.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
I haven't bought a DC figure since Mattel shuddered their old line with a thud as online exclusives, and the product I've seen in stores hasn't really tempted me at all. So if they get the license, RIP Star Wars, at least for a few years.

I never seen any of the good DC Multiverse figures. Anytime I went to a store it was always Supergirl, Dark Knight Returns Robin, and Superman Doomsday.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I never seen any of the good DC Multiverse figures. Anytime I went to a store it was always Supergirl, Dark Knight Returns Robin, and Superman Doomsday.

Are there good ones, though? I kinda wanted a Cassie Wondergirl and saw her several times, but it looked pretty bad in packaging.

But yeah, around here apparently absolutely nobody wants the Ray, because he's been the sole figure at several targets for months.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I can see Hasbro pushing out as much Star Wars product as they can before the licensing agreement ends. Hasbro still has the Marvel license and I believe that's their most profitable partner brand within the past few years.

HtEQPWj.jpg

Nice pick up and sale. Wow I need to start checking if my local shops ever does such a sale. Longing the days to get CW Black Panther or T2 T-800 at a decent price.

Oct 25, 2017
Mattel lost DC because they been resting on the same lower tier line since it was "DC SuperHeroes" way back in 2005
batgirl-s3.jpg

that Batgirl body was still in use until very recently for many of their female figures.

They wouldn't make Animated Green Lantern stuff which killed that series
They wouldn't make a Beware the Batman line, that show died.
They screwed up Young Justice's toyline, didn't bother with the revival.
They were too late on JL Action
They didn't go for Teen Titans Go

Rises, MoS, BvS, JJ, SS, WW, AM, Shazam etc weren't well supported outside of the collector focused lines.

They definitely deserved to lose it.

If they get Star Wars they will have to have put in an excellent quality pitch at least like they did for Jurassic World.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Those... don't look half bad. Interesting mix of TV, various comic designs, and animated stuff for McFarlane and my kid will love the spinmasters toys if they're affordable.

Of course it remains to be seen how brittle the McFarlane ones are.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Why are they 7 inches through? I seen the other figures they did for Mortal Kombat and they are out of scale with Star Wars or Marvel figures.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
McFarlane has been focused on 7" and 5" figures for ages.
The only 6" line I can think of from them was Game Of Thrones and that was only four figures.
Game Of Thrones was also the only line I bought.

Also, even the company that advertises their Mortal Kombat figures as 6", Storm Collectibles, really makes 7" Mortal Kombat Figures.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My Walmart had the 3.75 Black Series Jyn and Cassians till early in this year,
When they were finale hitting $3 and $1.50 I cleard them out of about 11+ Jyn snd 4 Cassians.
I have to say that Jyn headsculpt is one of the best female headsculpts in that scale for customs, even works for GI JOE.

But for Christmas literally all my walmart had was hundreds of the gold figures and about 15 Vintage collection Yavin Ceremony Luke.

The hope would be that with Mattel going all in on their pitch as sources have said, they will try to specifically make better figures than what currently is out there.
They did that with the Jurassic World pitch for example and won.

They will have a hard time matching Vintage and Black Series but Mattel can destroy Hasbro on recent mainline and vehicles.
Feel like Mattel for example wouldn't be too scared to do stuff like the Mandalorian's ship, The Ghost or a proper scaled U-Wing in the first few years.
BrachioHD.jpg

I just stumbled onto this thread and read through some of the Star Wars discussion. When does the current license expire? That's new to me. I know Kenner kept their line going for a couple years after the original trilogy ended, but Hasbro maintained the license nearly a decade after the prequels had ended and kept it running to this day, which if my math is correct puts the longstanding deal at 24 years.

I've been out of toy collecting since the early 2000's, and I will say that their rollout for the latest line of films have been underwhelming compared to the previous lines. I really think that Hasbro's most consistant output was during their Power of the Force 2 era in the sense that it was inextricably tied into the old line, which gave current collectors the idea they could assemble a more up to date version of the original line. I also felt there was a more earnest and weightier quality to their action figures than what was to come in later series. They did bring some great sculpts later into the series, but I felt they were offset by the many retreads on already released characters or characters with action gimmicks. This current run of the Star Wars line almost feels comparible to what happened to the most recent run of G.I.Joe before it was phased out. That's insane for a film that is still out in the theaters. And despite what many feel about Rise of Skywalker, it'll probably make close to a billion dollars worldwide before it finally hits home video.

Anyone in the know, please lay out a forensic timeline as to how this even happened, and if necessary, go into the all the boneheaded decisions that Hasbro has made over the past many years.

I know one of the most common complaints has been that peg warmers clogging up the toy shelves. But that will always be a problem in any toy line. And it will only get worse with no dedicated toy chain in North America now. Action figures now have to compete with Walmart, Target, and now Gamestop to a certain extent. Not to mention the many online retailers in operation today.

So is it true that Mattel may be gunning for the license? If so, and Hasbro doesn't care, what product line, current and emerging are they hedging their bets on to soften the blow? I assume their boardgame division is doing quite well, and that there are numerous movie licenses they can plumb from, but wouldn't losing the Star Wars license be a serious blow to them nonetheless?

And on Mattel's end, what opportunities do you feel they could capitalize on? Do they become an extention of Hasbro's run, continuing their formula ongoing formula and rectifying their misteps along the way, or do they start from scratch?

Let's assume they go with the latter, and begin with a clean slate? Almost akin to Kenner's orignal run with the series in 1977. Could that even work for Mattel? And would Mattel even limit themselves to that, given that they have options on the 12 inch, and 6 inch front? Is there the distinct possibility that 3 inch is dead and they might model their standard line after Hasbro's 6 inch black line?

This is my opinion, but packaging aside, I feel that Hasbro's current 3 inch vintage line, while being a throwback to the classic vintage figures from the earlier era, has been a step down from what Kenner/Hasbro had produced during their POTF2 run. If I were still into collecting today, I would have long ago migrated to the Black series, and even with those, I hear that line is beset with availability issues, which as I mentioned above probably has a lot to do with the fact that there's no longer toy chains like Toys R Us, Kay-Bee, or Kiddie City.

It's sad. On the Lego end of things, there seems to be an endless supply of inspired kits to acquire. At this point, I feel that Lego has a much larger embarrassment of riches to current and back catalog product than what Hasbro has had throughout this past decade.

Oct 25, 2017
I just stumbled onto this thread and read through some of the Star Wars discussion. When does the current license expire? That's new to me. I know Kenner kept their line going for a couple years after the original trilogy ended, but Hasbro maintained the license nearly a decade after the prequels had ended and kept it running to this day, which if my math is correct puts the longstanding deal at 24 years.

I've been out of toy collecting since the early 2000's, and I will say that their rollout for the latest line of films have been underwhelming compared to the previous lines. I really think that Hasbro's most consistant output was during their Power of the Force 2 era in the sense that it was inextricably tied into the old line, which gave current collectors the idea they could assemble a more up to date version of the original line. I also felt there was a more earnest and weightier quality to their action figures than what was to come in later series. They did bring some great sculpts later into the series, but I felt they were offset by the many retreads on already released characters or characters with action gimmicks. This current run of the Star Wars line almost feels comparible to what happened to the most recent run of G.I.Joe before it was phased out. That's insane for a film that is still out in the theaters. And despite what many feel about Rise of Skywalker, it'll probably make close to a billion dollars worldwide before it finally hits home video.

Anyone in the know, please lay out a forensic timeline as to how this even happened, and if necessary, go into the all the boneheaded decisions that Hasbro has made over the past many years.

I know one of the most common complaints has been that peg warmers clogging up the toy shelves. But that will always be a problem in any toy line. And it will only get worse with no dedicated toy chain in North America now. Action figures now have to compete with Walmart, Target, and now Gamestop to a certain extent. Not to mention the many online retailers in operation today.

So is it true that Mattel may be gunning for the license? If so, and Hasbro doesn't care, what product line, current and emerging are they hedging their bets on to soften the blow? I assume their boardgame division is doing quite well, and that there are numerous movie licenses they can plumb from, but wouldn't losing the Star Wars license be a serious blow to them nonetheless?

And on Mattel's end, what opportunities do you feel they could capitalize on? Do they become an extention of Hasbro's run, continuing their formula ongoing formula and rectifying their misteps along the way, or do they start from scratch?

Let's assume they go with the latter, and begin with a clean slate? Almost akin to Kenner's orignal run with the series in 1977. Could that even work for Mattel? And would Mattel even limit themselves to that, given that they have options on the 12 inch, and 6 inch front? Is there the distinct possibility that 3 inch is dead and they might model their standard line after Hasbro's 6 inch black line?

This is my opinion, but packaging aside, I feel that Hasbro's current 3 inch vintage line, while being a throwback to the classic vintage figures from the earlier era, has been a step down from what Kenner/Hasbro had produced during their POTF2 run. If I were still into collecting today, I would have long ago migrated to the Black series, and even with those, I hear that line is beset with availability issues, which as I mentioned above probably has a lot to do with the fact that there's no longer toy chains like Toys R Us, Kay-Bee, or Kiddie City.

It's sad. On the Lego end of things, there seems to be an endless supply of inspired kits to acquire. At this point, I feel that Lego has a much larger embarrassment of riches to current and back catalog product than what Hasbro has had throughout this past decade.
This year is the last year of the contract, If they don't renew then they can't ship any mainline product after December 31st.
If we don't hear about an extension then on January 1st 2021 some other company will have a massive blowout of their Star Wars line for later in the year.

The problem with Hasbro started in about 2012-2013 when oil prices were going up they decided to start doing a 6" line because they could charge significantly more for the same amount of work with relatively small increase of materials
They then let everything else basically go to shit including the main mass release lines without any effort.
Ships:
Left is 2013 right is 2005
CF5xnfm.jpg

Left is old, right is 2016
images

Mainline figure 15-10 years ago($5.99-8.99):
vc50_04.jpg

vc50_10.jpg

Today($8.99):
2124rebels-saga-legends-bespin-han-solo.jpg

The shitty mainline stuff hardly sold
Retailers were getting fed up with Hasbro's assortment BS as well
Hasbro isn't happy having to pay a massive guarantee even if they don't sell $1 worth of Star Wars stuff.

Yes insiders have said Mattel is absolutely going all in on trying to get it as management basically said "whatever it takes" after they lost DC.
Mattel would have a tough job as they have to try to match Hasbro when they put the effort in.
Its almost guaranteed though they wouldn't want a full Star Wars line reboot and would make 6" and 3.75" as close to Hasbro's as possible.
They would likely be only main characters for a few waves though just to get new people into their line.
Though they would probably avoid something like a big expensive Falcon as the market is just to saturated and the rumor of Hasbro bringing the BMF.

Edit: had a huge message typed out but it cut off.

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This year is the last year of the contract, If they don't renew then they can't ship any mainline product after December 31st.
If we don't hear about an extension then on January 1st 2021 some other company will have a massive blowout of their Star Wars line for later in the year.

The problem with Hasbro started in about 2012-2013 when oil prices were going up they decided to start doing a 6" line because they could charge significantly more for the same amount of work with relatively small increase of materials
They then let everything else basically go to shit including the main mass release lines without any effort.
Ships:
Left is 2013 right is 2005
CF5xnfm.jpg

Left is old, right is 2016
images

Mainline figure 15-10 years ago($5.99-8.99):
vc50_04.jpg

vc50_10.jpg

Today($8.99):
2124rebels-saga-legends-bespin-han-solo.jpg

The shitty mainline stuff hardly sold
Retailers were getting fed up with Hasbro's assortment BS as well
Hasbro isn't happy having to pay a massive guarantee even if they don't sell $1 worth of Star Wars stuff.

Yes insiders have said Mattel is absolutely going all in on trying to get it as management basically said "whatever it takes" after they lost DC.
Mattel would have a tough job as they have to try to match Hasbro when they put the effort in.
Its almost guaranteed though they wouldn't want a full Star Wars line reboot and would make 6" and 3.75" as close to Hasbro's as possible.
They would likely be only main characters for a few waves though just to get new people into their line.
Though they would probably avoid something like a big expensive Falcon as the market is just to saturated and the rumor of Hasbro bringing the BMF.

Edit: had a huge message typed out but it cut off.

Honestly, I could never understand the mindset of having to pack in main characters into each shipment of action figures. If Mattel were to acquire the license, couldn't they just strategically space out the main characters while padding out their tertiary characters?

Whenever I've checked out the Star Wars aisle at Target or Walmart, there's always an over abundance of the main characters. In fact, I don't think there's been any significant diversity to the action figure line akin to what was available for the POTF2 line, and even then, you still had the issue of pegwarmers occupying the shelves. It's a part of the hobby.

I've been out of toy collecting since the early 2000's, but if I had the time and space, I really would be hesistant to engage in the hobby today because of how cheap and garish most of their output has been throughout the past decade. Lego sets by comparison are more vibrant and welcoming in my opinion, albeit the price.

The only aspect of Hasbro's current line that seems welcoming would be their 6 inch line, and as some here have stated, it has seemingly supplanted Hasbro's other action figure sets. IMO, the vintage figures look like action figures from the early 1990's that came before the POTF2 line. I know it's common that people tend to bag on the inaugeral set of figures from the POTF2 line, but at this point, I would take the ridiculous steroid buff renderings of Luke and Han over what I've seen from the current Vintage line.

Do you think that Lego's edge over Hasbro has a lot to do with the fact that they do vehicles and playsets, or is it just me as an adult with differing interests these days? Of course the tradeoff is that their minifigs can never match the fidelity of what proper action figures can offer, even when they're done crappily, such as the case with the Hasbro/Kenner toyline. But really, a side by side comparison between recent Lego Star Wars vs. Hasbro Star Wars of the Disney era demonstrates a discrepancy in the quality of said licensed products. The lego stuff looks more fun to play with and display, would you not agree?

EDIT: On a somewhat tangential note, I am eagerly looking forward to Traveler's Tale's upcoming Lego Star Wars game and will continue to buy their future Lego games until the end of time.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I could never understand the mindset of having to pack in main characters into each shipment of action figures. If Mattel were to acquire the license, couldn't they just strategically space out the main characters while padding out their tertiary characters?

Whenever I've checked out the Star Wars aisle at Target or Walmart, there's always an over abundance of the main characters. In fact, I don't think there's been any significant diversity to the action figure line akin to what was available for the POTF2 line, and even then, you still had the issue of pegwarmers occupying the shelves. It's a part of the hobby.

I've been out of toy collecting since the early 2000's, but if I had the time and space, I really would be hesistant to engage in the hobby today because of how cheap and garish most of their output has been throughout the past decade. Lego sets by comparison are more vibrant and welcoming in my opinion, albeit the price.

The only aspect of Hasbro's current line that seems welcoming would be their 6 inch line, and as some here have stated, it has seemingly supplanted Hasbro's other action figure sets. IMO, the vintage figures look like action figures from the early 1990's that came before the POTF2 line. I know it's common that people tend to bag on the inaugeral set of figures from the POTF2 line, but at this point, I would take the ridiculous steroid buff renderings of Luke and Han over what I've seen from the current Vintage line.

Do you think that Lego's edge over Hasbro has a lot to do with the fact that they do vehicles and playsets, or is it just me as an adult with differing interests these days? Of course the tradeoff is that their minifigs can never match the fidelity of what proper action figures can offer, even when they're done crappily, such as the case with the Hasbro/Kenner toyline. But really, a side by side comparison between recent Lego Star Wars vs. Hasbro Star Wars of the Disney era demonstrates a discrepancy in the quality of said licensed products. The lego stuff looks more fun to play with and display, would you not agree?

EDIT: On a somewhat tangential note, I am eagerly looking forward to Traveler's Tale's upcoming Lego Star Wars game and will continue to buy their future Lego games until the end of time.

Overall its bad that they would do main characters again but whoever gets it will be concerned about missing new fans and just welcoming them to go aftermarket for Hasbro.

Lego has the edge because its Lego but specifically Star Wars its definitely the variety,
ships, characters and settings from all 3 time periods
especially doing stuff Hasbro never even attempts despite featuring heavily
latest

latest

latest

I"d think a key niche whoever takes over Star Wars should target is diorama like "Playsets".
Hasbro let them die and only recently started trying more many of which were just cardboard.
Cantina, Hoth or Yavin playsets would probably do extremely well and fill a huge void.

Only thing giving me hope for Mattel if they get it was how well they revived Jurassic Park, they really understood what to do with it for its first year.

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Overall its bad that they would do main characters again but whoever gets it will be concerned about missing new fans and just welcoming them to go aftermarket for Hasbro.

Lego has the edge because its Lego but specifically Star Wars its definitely the variety,
ships, characters and settings from all 3 time periods
especially doing stuff Hasbro never even attempts despite featuring heavily
latest

latest

latest

I"d think a key niche whoever takes over Star Wars should target is diorama like "Playsets".
Hasbro let them die and only recently started trying more many of which were just cardboard.
Cantina, Hoth or Yavin playsets would probably do extremely well and fill a huge void.

Only thing giving me hope for Mattel if they get it was how well they revived Jurassic Park, they really understood what to do with it for its first year.

If Mattel were to get the Star Wars license, what would their roll out effort look like? They would have access to all the films, but could they theorhetically play it safe by sticking to the original film and slowly expand in the subsequent years? Most of the feedback I've been able to discern from ERA, youtube, and other online forums is all quite dismal. I would argue that oversaturation of subpar products has harmed the line the most, not the fact that it's Star Wars or that it's been rejected by certain segments of the fan community. Lego seems to be fine right now. The Hasbro stuff seems overbloated and bankrupt of excitement. Saddling spring loaded nerf gimmicks into the line hasn't helped the line one bit. Would Mattel be open to marketing a line without the bloat, and what is their track record when it comes to their action figure lines?

Any chance that Mattel would make a 5 inch line into their standard scale? Or would that be shot down because of how pricey it would be when factoring in vehicles and playsets? How would Mattel produce and market their Star Wars line that stood apart from Hasbro? For them, would it be more important to feel like a natural transition from Hasbro, or would they want to immediately shake things up to set them apart from their predecessors?

Last edited:

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone with a detolf using shelf extenders? Preparing for Endgame Thanos and I think he stands too tall for the current shelf.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That's weird, because besides the Star Wars lines where they only have main characters (like the cartoony line), I usually overwhelmingly see shelfs filled with pegwarmers like Rose and her sister, or whatever random alien they felt they needed to include.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's weird, because besides the Star Wars lines where they only have main characters (like the cartoony line), I usually overwhelmingly see shelfs filled with pegwarmers like Rose and her sister, or whatever random alien they felt they needed to include.
Constable Zuvio and Moloch continue to haunt my Walmart and Target's clearance aisles.

Oct 25, 2017
How would Mattel produce and market their Star Wars line that stood apart from Hasbro? For them, would it be more important to feel like a natural transition from Hasbro, or would they want to immediately shake things up to set them apart from their predecessors?
The popular Hasbro stuff Mattel would need to continue as is mostly,
however the mainline Mattel can set themselves apart by not having shitty figures and making ones kids want to play with, and a wider selection.
Compare Mattel's Jurassic Park to a basic Star Wars figure
wRMoRxD.jpg

Star Wars has better overall paint but the figure is basically a statue kids can't do anything with and is the same price as Jurassic Park figures with articulation tha had an accessory/weapon and dinosaur.

RIP GI JOE

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
That Jurassic Park figure sucks though. Like if you gave it to a kid sans packaging would they be able to tell who it is?

Their bigger sized DC Multiverse stuff is lackluster as well. I guess their wrestling figures look ok, but I don't buy them so I'm no expert. But it seems like a decent variety of bucks and good distribution.

Oct 25, 2017
That Jurassic Park figure sucks though. Like if you gave it to a kid sans packaging would they be able to tell who it is?
I'll give you the Obi-wan figure is a decent 5POA Star Wars figure but
tlj_han_boba_11.jpg

armorup_poe_04.jpg

armorup_poe_10.jpg

asty_12.jpg

snow_snap_21.jpg

ms08_sabine_wren_strormtrooper_10.jpg

ms08_utapau_13.jpg

I think a kid would prefer something that looks decent, can do more than stand in a single pose and come with a dinosaur.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
Good lord those are terrible.

On another subject I've been wondering about lately I recently went to a Toys R Us (they never shut down up here) and while there I checked out what they had. We've seen G.I.Joe all but vanish in the last decade more or less aside from the movie and some celebrations, yet at Toys R Us they have shelves filled with similar sized army figures and various vehicles or playsets that took up a lot of shelf space. I couldn't help but look at that and wonder okay, what the hell happened to G.I.Joe. I know the screw up with the second movie didn't help them but if this other stuff is still around and selling otherwise it wouldn't be around then how did G.I.Joe get so bungled it became all but dead.

Oct 25, 2017
Good lord those are terrible.

On another subject I've been wondering about lately I recently went to a Toys R Us (they never shut down up here) and while there I checked out what they had. We've seen G.I.Joe all but vanish in the last decade more or less aside from the movie and some celebrations, yet at Toys R Us they have shelves filled with similar sized army figures and various vehicles or playsets that took up a lot of shelf space. I couldn't help but look at that and wonder okay, what the hell happened to G.I.Joe. I know the screw up with the second movie didn't help them but if this other stuff is still around and selling otherwise it wouldn't be around then how did G.I.Joe get so bungled it became all but dead.

Hasbro's GI JOE issues had a lot going on
the usual case assortments issues they have with every line,
the disaster that happened with the 2nd movie
Dumb movie aesthetics when the not movie stuff does incredibly well and better(Pursuit of Cobra and Resolute for example).
Ziging every time they set up a zag(Resolute set up for older fans, not well supported toys. Movie aimed at kids makes everything generic looking black armor floods the shelves. Renegades and cartoon made for kids and new audiences, terribly supported including the series on a channel Hasbro owned)
Hasbro's premium on vehicles done better and cheaper by 3rd parties.

So in the end, horrendous management.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Does anyone actually like the carbonized version or is it some completionist thing?
They made the fabric look metallic on that one. Like wtf.
I do like them (although im keeping mine mint in box). The Sith trooper looks beautiful in the metallic candy red. I just wish Hasbro would make it standard in the main Black Series line as a metallic finish for any decal or part that suits it, such as guns or droids etc.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I do like them (although im keeping mine mint in box). The Sith trooper looks beautiful in the metallic candy red. I just wish Hasbro would make it standard in the main Black Series line as a metallic finish for any decal or part that suits it, such as guns or droids etc.

They should just do whatever Lego is doing these days. The metallic pieces in their 2019 sets looked more like metal than any mass-market toy paint job, and without using any paint.

Alien Manobo

Oct 27, 2017
For quite some time now I have been casually collecting hasbro tf toys, and just last month I found myself going crazy for marvel legends and posting it on IG. In a span of a months time I am now 11 figures deep and also waiting for my pre orders of evolution troopers, mafex wolverine (bad reviews i know) mafex cyclops and miles spiderverse.

I feel like I need an intervention. Gonna be a few months of ramen diet for me.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'll give you the Obi-wan figure is a decent 5POA Star Wars figure but
tlj_han_boba_11.jpg

armorup_poe_04.jpg

armorup_poe_10.jpg

asty_12.jpg

snow_snap_21.jpg

ms08_sabine_wren_strormtrooper_10.jpg

ms08_utapau_13.jpg

I think a kid would prefer something that looks decent, can do more than stand in a single pose and come with a dinosaur.
I think Hasbro HAS improved in some areas, though it mostly seems to apply to their Black Series. The face-printing tech is a godsend.
y8ocxuzt8am31.jpg

Since Hasbro took over the Power Rangers line, I've had some hits-and-misses with them as well, but I really appreciate their commitment to additional hands, weapons, effects, and head sculpts. They just revealed Power Ranger Trini for the Lightning Collection and my heart swells.
h0yrejj1b2941.jpg

80132633_3011572075554840_8224957779732672712_n.jpg