• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Even though I don't collect Star Wars, I have seen the big difference in the head scan technology which is at least partly why I think it would be a shame if Mattel gets the license from them. Although maybe a wrestling collector can speak to those figures.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit just saw that Jazwares got a GI Joe license from Hasbro
I wonder if Hasbro contracted them to do a kid targeted cartoonish line like their Fortnite figures while Hasbro maintains a classic "
realistic" figure.
Even though I don't collect Star Wars, I have seen the big difference in the head scan technology which is at least partly why I think it would be a shame if Mattel gets the license from them. Although maybe a wrestling collector can speak to those figures.
Mattel has a face scan technology on the Jurassic Park figures(even their cheap $8 which Hasbro doesn't do) it just needs a lot of work.
D3AS5qTX0AQ2Xp9.jpg

Last edited:

KoruptData

Oct 25, 2017
Added Force Projection Luke to the collection. Displaying him as the comic Rise of Kylo Ren version and just gave him his green saber.

Z4CZaAh.jpg

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Went with my dad to Walgreens earlier, and I found their exclusive Star Wars: The Black Series Clone Commander Obi-Wan Kenobi figure there.

4la1SRT.jpg

Also got this other stuff over the past few weeks. Everything below was at Ross stores, except the Boo, which was at Walgreens. All of the stuff from Ross was around $4.99-$6.99.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Added Force Projection Luke to the collection. Displaying him as the comic Rise of Kylo Ren version and just gave him his green saber.

Z4CZaAh.jpg

Hasbro's doing nothing with their G.I.Joe line. They haven't done anything of note since the last movie. It would be nice if they licensed it out to another party that has the passion and drive to make a viable toyline. Hasbro doesn't care for their legacy toylines because they have other built in revenue streams to plumb from. That's from my observation.

I was prime demographic for much of the toys of the 1980's, but really feel the only captivating line of recent years has been the Masters of the Universe Classics and the Takara imports of Transformers -- both of which are cost prohibitive to the average consumer, but if I had the money and were to establish my collection by scratch, I'd probably go with those because of the eye pleasing quality inherent in those lines.

Hasbro's Transformers suck by comparison. In fact, most of their legacy lines have been really lackluster for quite some time. I feel that sticking with one scale for their Star Wars line would help, even if it meant dropping their 3 inch line in favor of their Black series. Their vintage line just flat out sucks. It's a flimsy quality that's reminiscent of Kenner's early 90's action figures. I have no idea why they chose this route when their competitors try to strive for something more akin to late 90's as their starting point. The packaging is cool though, but I'd rather give way to the bland packaging designs of the POTF2 if it meant more durable molds.

As to G.I.Joe, couldn't Hasbro try to relaunch their 25th Anniversary ARAH line? How did the 25th Anniversary line do? What do you think their strong points were, and what issues worked to its detriment? Having grown up with those toys, I liked their resculpts and found it jarring in a good way to see some of the olive green characters from the launch being sold alongside characters from later waves. I also grew up on the cartoon, but came to really appreciate the comics during my teens.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Pretty awesome week of hauls shipping for me. I've got a 1/6 Deckard from Blade Runner 2049 on the way from Supermad Toys via KGHobby, and I just got the email BBTS are preparing to ship my William Stout MOTUC collection aka the 1987 movie wave.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What's wrong with the Hasbro Transformers line (I don't collect the Movie stuff but the Siege stuff has been great IMHO)?

Madness80

Feb 28, 2018
Hasbro's doing nothing with their G.I.Joe line. They haven't done anything of note since the last movie. It would be nice if they licensed it out to another party that has the passion and drive to make a viable toyline. Hasbro doesn't care for their legacy toylines because they have other built in revenue streams to plumb from. That's from my observation.

Rumor is GI JOE at this year's Toy Fair, which circles back to them possibly losing Marvel/Star Wars as they fatten up their action figure lines (Ghostbusters, Power Rangers and the alleged GI JOE 6" reveal). Rumored line up - Snake Eyes, Roadblock, Duke, Scarlet and Destro (Why no CC in wave 1?!) (This is coming from distributor information)

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Is it really possible that they'd lose Marvel/Star Wars? I thought they were rocking the Marvel line and the Star Wars line was okay?

What's the story behind these rumors because I'm so out of touch here?

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I swear dude, Mandalorian Black Series Carbonized is the whitest of white whales here in the SF Bay Area.

And every target just seems to pop up in stock every morning. Somebody knows someone because of course, this whole city is rigged.

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
No dice for the carbonized mando for me either at any of my local targets. Some targets doing their toy aisle resets too so he may just pop up later this week. Hope I'm lucky enough D:

blast0rama

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, Maryland
Is it really possible that they'd lose Marvel/Star Wars? I thought they were rocking the Marvel line and the Star Wars line was okay?

At least Star Wars wise, I hear it has to do with the lines basically not delivering since The Force Awakens (remember all of the overstock of Rogue One merch?), and the license being very costly for Hasbro. Basically, they're looking to make it an anchor around someone else's neck.

Some are pointing to the production error figures from the Rebels-era making it to Five Below recently as a sign that Hasbro is trying to dump all stock before divesting themselves of the license.

Mattel is the rumored next suitor for Star Wars figures.

Oct 25, 2017
Well if Hasbro won't make them guess I will have to,
starting with
XLRuLel.jpg

Vintage Collection realistic style Sabine Wren im working on next to the 2 animated versions and a legacy female Mandalorian figure
Still have a lot of work to do

Don't tell BDS I sacrificed a Doctor Aphra to serve as the vessel...

Marvel isn't very likely.

Star Wars is a different matter as it has an absolutely massive fee connected with it where Hasbro could only sell $1 of Star Wars merchandise but Lucasfilm has a multi-hundred million dollar guarantee they get paid no matter what.
That mixed with the fact that the deal is so close to expiration without renewal when its always renewed years in advance
That Hasbro cancelled the main Star Wars line, only limited collector figures from ROS
5 year old defects being set out to retail now
Mattel insiders explicitly saying Mattel is making a corporation wide push for the license mandated by the head of the company.

Last edited:

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
At least Star Wars wise, I hear it has to do with the lines basically not delivering since The Force Awakens (remember all of the overstock of Rogue One merch?), and the license being very costly for Hasbro. Basically, they're looking to make it an anchor around someone else's neck.

Some are pointing to the production error figures from the Rebels-era making it to Five Below recently as a sign that Hasbro is trying to dump all stock before divesting themselves of the license.

Marvel isn't very likely.

Star Wars is a different matter as it has an absolutely massive fee connected with it where Hasbro could only sell $1 of Star Wars merchandise but Lucasfilm has a multi-hundred million dollar guarantee they get paid no matter what.
That mixed with the fact that the deal is so close to expiration without renewal when its always renewed years in advance
That Hasbro cancelled the main Star Wars line, only limited collector figures from ROS
5 year old defects being set out to retail now
Mattel insiders explicitly saying Mattel is making a corporation wide push for the license mandated by the head of the company.

Wow. That sucks but makes sense... the only SW merch I've been interested in is from the Mandalorian.

I can only hope Disney doesn't try to keep the Marvel and SW licenses tethered together cause the Hasbro Marvel line is so good.

Still... if Hasbro loses Marvel maybe they can pick up the DC license and finally give us some good DC figures...

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That sucks but makes sense... the only SW merch I've been interested in is from the Mandalorian.

I can only hope Disney doesn't try to keep the Marvel and SW licenses tethered together cause the Hasbro Marvel line is so good.

Still... if Hasbro loses Marvel maybe they can pick up the DC license and finally give us some good DC figures...
It would be a while for DC, Spinmasters and McFarlane have it for 3 years starting this year.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
I dunno about Hasbro losing Star Wars. I hope not. They're currently recruiting for a global brand development and marketing manager (Star Wars brand) too

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
My local Target has one dude slipping money under the table at management for some of the Hot Wheels that catch a lot of heat (lol) in the market. So nothing really surprises me.

My mom and pop comic shop that used to be a Hasbro hotbed now no longer carries them because they require spending a minimum 100,000 USD and it's not a la carte. Meaning you gotta get Mr Potato Head and Bo Beeps with your Star Wars, Transformers, and Marvel. It's unbelievable.

Oct 25, 2017
My local Target has one dude slipping money under the table at management for some of the Hot Wheels that catch a lot of heat (lol) in the market. So nothing really surprises me.

My mom and pop comic shop that used to be a Hasbro hotbed now no longer carries them because they require spending a minimum 100,000 USD and it's not a la carte. Meaning you gotta get Mr Potato Head and Bo Beeps with your Star Wars, Transformers, and Marvel. It's unbelievable.
Well I guess that explains why my LCS doesn't carry toys/figures...

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm not entirely sure if it's within a certain timeframe (it kinda has to be for mom and pops) but that's what's been told to me.

Madness80

Feb 28, 2018
We'll hear SOMETHING at Toy Fair...I mean, we have to, right? Hasbro's Marvel and Star Wars license expires on 12/31 of this year and they have never come this close to a license ending before it being renewed. They're killing it on the legends front, and in my opinion have killed it with Black Series in 2019.

Ooopsklo

Banned
Aug 20, 2019
Does anybody here have the hot toys sith troopers? Just wondering if anyone has it because I'm thinking of getting it or count dooku

Oct 25, 2017
I asked about it the other week and it seems G.I.Joe may be coming back. Maybe.

6 inch sucks for GI jOE but something to keep the brand alive is better than nothing.
Also as a GI JOE customizer, 6 inch customization is about to hit it big.

Gonna be weird seeing Joes get photoreal paint.

Im guessing Jazzwares will make 4' animated figures that blend with their Fortnite figures.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

For Star Wars, would you chalk this up to Hasbro's ineptitude in handling the license, or just marketing fatigue of the product? Toy merchandising isn't what it was 20-30 years ago. I look to how well the MCU has done in the theaters, but hardly see any enduring toylines centered on the films. If the MCU was a thing in the early to mid 1990's, they could have experienced a similar boon to what the Star Wars toyline was having with their relaunch.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
All this talk about G.I. Joe, Star Wars and Marvel... and I'm sitting here waiting to hear about Hasbro's Ghostbusters offerings. lol

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My Walmart had the 3.75 Black Series Jyn and Cassians till early in this year,
When they were finale hitting $3 and $1.50 I cleard them out of about 11+ Jyn snd 4 Cassians.
I have to say that Jyn headsculpt is one of the best female headsculpts in that scale for customs, even works for GI JOE.

But for Christmas literally all my walmart had was hundreds of the gold figures and about 15 Vintage collection Yavin Ceremony Luke.

The hope would be that with Mattel going all in on their pitch as sources have said, they will try to specifically make better figures than what currently is out there.
They did that with the Jurassic World pitch for example and won.

They will have a hard time matching Vintage and Black Series but Mattel can destroy Hasbro on recent mainline and vehicles.
Feel like Mattel for example wouldn't be too scared to do stuff like the Mandalorian's ship, The Ghost or a proper scaled U-Wing in the first few years.
BrachioHD.jpg

Wait, you think Mattel would have a hard time topping the Vintage Series? I'm not trying to be cross, but The Vintage Series has been subpar for years now.

Also, do you think Hasbro would have been wise to slowly transition the Black Series into the main series by releasing a full range of vehicles and playsets?

Oct 25, 2017
For Star Wars, would you chalk this up to Hasbro's ineptitude in handling the license, or just marketing fatigue of the product? Toy merchandising isn't what it was 20-30 years ago. I look to how well the MCU has done in the theaters, but hardly see any enduring toylines centered on the films. If the MCU was a thing in the early to mid 1990's, they could have experienced a similar boon to what the Star Wars toyline was having with their relaunch.
Hasbro Star Wars was basically a downward spiral since Disney got Star Wars,
Hasbro got real cheap with them around the time of Episode 1 3D, they peg warmed forever.
Rebels comes out, Hasbro doesn't support it well at all.
Force Awakens does massive but stuff clogs the pegs for years
Rogue One stuff clogs forever
Last Jedi stuff clogs the pegs forever
Resistance was horrendously supported
Forces of Destiny was a disaster on Hasbro's end, especially compared to its DC counterpart
Galaxy of Adventure was terribly supported at first, originals warmed the shelf forever and were already rereleases of releases of releases
Rise of Skywalker had a horrendous merchandise push.
The POS gold figures that I haven't seen sell a single one that are also just gold painted releases of releases of releases

Wait, you think Mattel would have a hard time topping the Vintage Series? I'm not trying to be cross, but The Vintage Series has been subpar for years now.

Also, do you think Hasbro would have been wise to slowly transition the Black Series into the main series by releasing a full range of vehicles and playsets?
Mattel would make a better "Vintage Collection merchandise line" for sure as Hasbro is so limited and so many releases,
however I just don't think Mattel can make a higher quality 3.75 figure that Hasbro's Vintage collection

No because Black Series vehicle and sets are too big and expensive to ever be legitimate.
Hasbro is charging $100 for 3.75' X-Wings these days.

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hasbro Star Wars was basically a downward spiral since Disney got Star Wars,
Hasbro got real cheap with them around the time of Episode 1 3D, they peg warmed forever.
Rebels comes out, Hasbro doesn't support it well at all.
Force Awakens does massive but stuff clogs the pegs for years
Rogue One stuff clogs forever
Last Jedi stuff clogs the pegs forever
Resistance was horrendously supported
Forces of Destiny was a disaster on Hasbro's end, especially compared to its DC counterpart
Galaxy of Adventure was terribly supported at first, originals warmed the shelf forever and were already rereleases of releases of releases
Rise of Skywalker had a horrendous merchandise push.
The POS gold figures that I haven't seen sell a single one that are also just gold painted releases of releases of releases

What would Mattel need to do to avoid the missteps made by Hasbro? Any company for that matter is going to have to pay the mandatory license fee upfront. It sounds like they gave up at around the timeline you listed. And for all the critical lambasting the sequel trilogy has gotten, the films have done good numbers.

Like I said, it could just be a sign of the times. Kids now have plenty of diversions these days with the game consoles and smart phones.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
What would Mattel need to do to avoid the missteps made by Hasbro? Any company for that matter is going to have to pay the mandatory license fee upfront.
The mainline needs to be a better balance of affordable and quality.

The collector lines can stay similar to Hasbro's however they have to stop the case assortment BS retailers have been throwing a fit about the last few years.
Also cut back on repeats of figures so often and even saturation of certain characters

They also need to cut the weird scale lines Hasbro keeps attempting and have at most
3.75 mainline
3.75 deluxe (vintage collection competitor)
6' (black series competitor)

Also don't need dual line vehicles, make 1 middle ground X-Wing for the 3.75 line.
they don't need a $100 3.75' X-Wing
vc_poe_damerons_x-wing_fighter_52.jpg

and a $35 3.75' X-Wing
poe_boosted_xwing_39.jpg

at the same time.

Better timing of waves,
Hasbro did the Force Friday thing and then shelves were completely empty of the main Star Wars stuff all the way up through Christmas.

Then you get issues like them releasing a Mandalorian vehicle in the 3.75 scale line on Force Friday and yet the actual Mandalorian protagonist or any other characters from the show won't be released for nearly 5 months after that(3 months after the series ended)

Hasbro management of Star Wars is extremely poor.

Assuming that they get the GIJoe license and push ahead with a 6 inch line, would they go with molds based on their classic designs in 6 inch scale, or would they be all new outfit designs to set them apart from Hasbro?
I'd assume they'd be something like Pursuit of Cobra/50th, Sideshow or Resolute modern designs of classic looks
Duke-50th-Anniversary-Modern-Era-19.jpg

Duke-3_1248824947.jpg

latest

Last edited:

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The mainline needs to be a better balance of affordable and quality.

The collector lines can stay similar to Hasbro's however they have to stop the case assortment BS retailers have been throwing a fit about the last few years.
Also cut back on repeats of figures so often and even saturation of certain characters

They also need to cut the weird scale lines Hasbro keeps attempting and have at most
3.75 mainline
3.75 deluxe (vintage collection competitor)
6' (black series competitor)

Also don't need dual line vehicles, make 1 middle ground X-Wing for the 3.75 line.
they don't need a $100 3.75' X-Wing
vc_poe_damerons_x-wing_fighter_52.jpg

and a $35 3.75' X-Wing
poe_boosted_xwing_39.jpg

at the same time.

Better timing of waves,
Hasbro did the Force Friday thing and then shelves were completely empty of the main Star Wars stuff all the way up through Christmas.

Then you get issues like them releasing a Mandalorian vehicle in the 3.75 scale line on Force Friday and yet the actual Mandalorian protagonist or any other characters from the show won't be released for nearly 5 months after that(3 months after the series ended)

Hasbro management of Star Wars is extremely poor.

I'd assume they'd be something like Pursuit of Cobra/50th, Sideshow or Resolute modern designs of classic looks
Duke-50th-Anniversary-Modern-Era-19.jpg

Duke-3_1248824947.jpg

latest

With regards to a 6 inch line, would vehicles be tenable for the series? And if so on a limited basis, what should they stick with?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I would think having two different X-wings, one cheaper one for the kids and one expensive one for the collectors, makes a lot of sense... why do you think it was a bad idea? Did collectors not want the expensive version or was it not worth it?

For me, I was turned off from Star Wars when they cheaped out on the line and then started the bigger Black Series scale, plus I couldn't find anything but peg warmers from just casual shopping (as opposed to toy hunting). Instead, we just got legos.

Oct 25, 2017
I would think having two different X-wings, one cheaper one for the kids and one expensive one for the collectors, makes a lot of sense... why do you think it was a bad idea? Did collectors not want the expensive version or was it not worth it?

The problem for adult collectors is that basically they had all this stuff in the past at 1/3rd the price,
The huge Republic Gunships used to cost $50 Hasbro would charge like $150 these days.
That 100$ xwing would have been $50 at most until 2013. Meanwhile the average one was like $30

the real problem is the cheap version that nobody wants them because the quality is so low older collectors are immediately out,
while with the inflated prices on it the kids can just get better older ones if they want for little extra.

With a middle ground base the higher end people won't immediately write it off,
while the lower end people get something more worthy of the spend.

And then for collectors they can do far more detailed paint with more accessories or something to charge more as a special instead.

With regards to a 6 inch line, would vehicles be tenable for the series? And if so on a limited basis, what should they stick with?
If you mean for 6' Joe
A Vamp and a Hisstank is about as far as they would likely go, maybe just maybe the Water Moccasin at most
78140.jpg

they'd easily ask $100 or more for that.

Crazy thing was in the early 2000's 12' 1/6 scale vehicles were feasible
ultimate-soldier-oh6-aero-scout-loach_1_b3ec52eb4cf787ea53b13049f8a8c7af.jpg

ultimate-soldier-joe-6-scale-m2_1_2ab6a9b5c55ee4af8156c17fa3d1bc1a.jpg

ultimate-soldier-6-wwii-m5-stuart_1_8f13006a5fbeabdd3e63ff71741502b7.jpg

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The 6" GI Joes are awesome, can't wait. And clearly saving Cobra Commander for wave 2. I'm in for a case of Wave 1 for sure. From the leaked info from wholeslers, the cases are one of each figure but you get 2 Snake Eyes in each case so they are expecting him (of course) to be most popular. Also rumor is that they are ARAH based figures so they are being targeted to the nostalgia classic collectors

I imagine with the new movie coming out in October, we will see a cheaper 4" line of figures coming out to go with the movie.

Hasbro did a similar thing with GI Joe before the first live action movie, they put out the 25th anniversary line for toy collectors and old fans and it was a huge hit. The movie came out soon after and they pushed out a line of movie related figs

As for Hasbro playing with scales, in part it's sorta worked for Star Wars, though the whole line kinda flopped. The different styles/scales has worked really well for their Transformers line of products with trying to cover all range of buyers

Holy shit just saw that Jazwares got a GI Joe license from Hasbro
I wonder if Hasbro contracted them to do a kid targeted cartoonish line like their Fortnite figures while Hasbro maintains a classic "
realistic" figure.

From what I heard on some places is that they will doing other merch for GI Joe, but possibly not actual action figures. Cource Super7 got the GI Joe license too and we had hopes for them to make reaction figures for the line but they haven't done much of anything with the IP so far

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2017
As much as I love Transformers if I had to pick only one toyline I'd probably go with G.I.Joe, I grew up with both but I absolutely loved the various characters, vehicles and play sets that came out for G.I.Joe. If the new toyline happens I'll buy in.

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
My parents did the Disney Marathon at Disney World this week and called asking if I wanted anything while they were there. I asked for "Star War Black" figure...and I got way more then I expected.

GSDV8Id.jpg

Note I already had the TIE Fighter that in need of some dust cleaning, but regardless I am happy to have Hondo and the much nicer with face print Last Jedi Rey. Do like this Chewie more then the original Black series one I had too.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watching Mezco's servers freeze over Keaton Batman today is going to be so fun. Someone kill me.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Got the Keaton Batman right when it went live. Stuff took a little longer than normal to load, but it all went through on the first try.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Really lame that they changed the promotional images for that 89 batman after I paid. Plus it's apparently rubber with metal skeleton like the hyper real black series