• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I feel like DmC: Devil May Cry definitive edition (PS4) is a great place for a beginner to jump into that series. Then there is the HD collection coming soon too.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
You may have Transformers Devastation from plus so try that. It's a "budget" game but the combat is excellent.

Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising on PC are also good choices.

God of War 3 is a different style but also very good.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Definitive action game list:

Devil May Cry series:

A bunch of HD collections and Special editions have been released for the game so it's hard for new people to figure out which to get and play.

For DMC1 and DMC3 you can either play them on PS3/360 on the HD Collection or wait for the PS4/Steam/XB1 release coming early next year. That will probably be the definitive versions of those games especially on PC because DMC1 and 2 have never been on PC and 3 has a bad PC port.

DMC4 you play on current gen consoles or PC which is the Special Edition. For DmC you play the Definitive edition on current gen consoles, PC didn't get that version unfortunately.

Skip DMC2.

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden Black is the best on original Xbox, probably need to get it through BC now.

Ninja Gaiden 2 or Sigma both are great, I prefer original but it's rougher around the edges. 360 or BC, however you can manage it. No PC versions for the NG games unfortunately.

Skip NG3 and NG Yaiba.

Bayonetta

Bayo 1/2, 2 is only on Wii U but will be on Switch. Don't play PS3 version of Bayonetta, it sucks. Probably should invest in a Switch soon for Bayo 3.

Nioh

Complete edition on Ps4 or PC. This is somewhere between a Souls game and an action game. If you liked the more methodical aspects of the game and the RPG stuff then move on to the next game on the list.

Bloodborne

Old Hunters edition on PS4. Faster and more menacing than a Souls game but slower more methodical than Nioh. Stunning stuff here but this is going a bit outside of the spectrum. If you like this game then move on to the Souls games proper.

PS2/Xbox era action games that are underrated/unknown (acquire anyway possible)

Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Godhand
Zone of the Enders 2
God of War 1-2
Prince of Persia 1-3
Onimusha 1-4
Chaos Legion (interesting summoning system but otherwise mediocre)
Bujingai
Otogi 1/2 (Xbox)
Shinobi

PS3/360 era

Metal Gear Rising
Darksiders 1-2
God of War 3 (PS3/PS4)
Transformers by Platinum games

Everything I was gonna say, Dahbomb is Dahbomb

Wow clutch Bunjingai reference AND Otogi! Ol boy knows his shit!!!

Def add Vanquish to the list (PC), and do GOW3 on PS4

Lost Souls is coming PS4, keep an eye on that. Bayo 3 on Switch in a year maybe, DMCV next year hopefully

Fun fact: Viewtiful Joe on PS2 has Dante in it!

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Also if you like shooting mainly, then I def reccomend Max Payne 3 on PC. been playing through that and I feel like Im in a John Woo movie.

I hope Stranglehold hits BC

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Honestly if you own a Wii U, Bayonetta 2 is a very accessible and fantastic action game or just wait for the Switch version. Can vouch for Dahbomb's list, all great games.

I would add Metal Wolf Chaos for its incredible mech shooting action with incredible joke weapons you can unlock. For fans of Vanquish, this game has a different flair but one that only FromSoftware could create. Plus the story and dialogue is hilarious.

metal_wolf_chaos_11.jpg

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely Bayonetta. I'll also give a shoutout to Darksiders 2. It's more of an Action/Adventure/RPG, but the combat is right out of an action game.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
PC:

Bayonetta
Devil May Cry 4SE
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Darksiders 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PS4:
DmC: Definitive Edition
Nioh

Metal Gear Rising comments will lead you astray and into the field of mediocrity and style over genuine mehanical substance

Vanquish is also bad, like really bad please don't be fooled

These are your opinions. The majority of people who have played MGR and Vanquish have a very positive opinion of them.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta or DMC4:SE. They both have a relatively simple combat systems for a person new to the genre but have a lot of depth you can tap into but never overload you with things, nor are they difficult. Start on the easier difficulties and play through the game multiple times on harder difficulties as this is really when the games actually open up and you get a better understanding of what is going on.

From there I'd recommend DMC3, Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2, Nioh, Furi, Absolver if you want to get into the deeper aspect of combat systems and difficulty.

If you aren't into the skill side of things but enjoy the combat then Dragons Dogma is a good choice, I personally dislike this game however for people who like flashy action but find the deeper side of combat mechanics a bit too much and they like RPG tropes then this is a solid game.

If you enjoy the RPG/adventure focus and want a solid combat system that isn't too deep with a good skill focus then Bloodborne and Hyper Light Drifter are fantastic.

Last edited:

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Devil My Cry 4, Bayonetta, and Metal Gear Rising are some of the easiest and most accessible (yet still great) action games; I'd recommend you start with those if not the first DMC. (The upcoming DMC PC collection would probably be the best starting point.)

Alongside Bayonetta, God Hand and the first two Ninja Gaiden games (non-Sigma) are the best in the genre. Those are harder than the above games, but I started with God Hand, so if you're dedicated and having fun you can really start with any of them. (Vanauish is also phenomenal but it's in a completely different genre. Highly recommended; if you like these games there's a high chance it will appeal to you.

Metal Gear Rising comments will lead you astray and into the field of mediocrity and style over genuine mehanical substance

Then why are you recommending Dragon's Dogma?