• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The China-only release of Call of Duty has such a mode already, so it would be easy to speculate about the western mainline series to also get it.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard Battlegrounds

It's just a matter of time that Blizz jumps into battle royale, and if done properly, they will become the leading one.

SuperSplit

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I can see it now, crates will be called care packages and will contain all the usual along with perks and rarely killstreaks.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Generic battle royale with generic characters. Weapons will be from all existing Blizzard games. Nova's sniper rifle, Tracer's pistols, Khadgar's staff to shoot arcane missiles with...etc. With themed maps based on Blizzard games.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Man Blizzard and Epic getting into the battle royale gimmick would give pubg a run for its money. Fortnite kind of already has but another huge game would be funny.

Zereta

Oct 26, 2017
Heroes of the storm like Battle Royale.
Extensive character creator.
A map thats like Overwatch's Blizzard World and is a combination of Blizzard games.
Items are from Blizzard games.

$$$.

Heroes of the Storm got me into MOBAs for a while. Hearthstone into Card games. A Blizzard BR game would destroy me probably.

kosanu

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 25, 2017
I'd put my money on Starcraft switching genres. They already said they aren't sure classic RTS has much of a future

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
fTTBLia.gif

Last edited:

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Blizzard has enough of a loyal fanbase to pull a Battle Royale game and make it lead the charts. They can take a little time but if they dont do things quickly a situation like HOTS might happen again.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the ship has sailed for this trend. It's by no means a dying trend, I just feel like It's a little too late to the party at this point.
Fortnite & PUBG have been imprinted in peoples heads as definitive BR experiences, and that's not a simple thing to change. Sure we will see tons of variations of the genre, but nothing like these two.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Not keen on Destiny 3: Battle Royale, but definitely keen on Bungie: Battle Royale.

Do Bungie still own the rights to Marathon? That's an option if they felt determined to slap an IP on it.

I think the ship has sailed for this trend. It's by no means a dying trend, I just feel like It's a little too late to the party at this point.
Fortnite & PUBG have been imprinted in peoples heads as definitive BR experiences, and that's not a simple thing to change. Sure we will see tons of variations of the genre, but nothing like these two.
Will anything be as successful? Possibly not.
As you say, too late to the party so the market will be diluted.

Will someone make a better game? Almost by default.
PUBG has an absolutely awful default ruleset. It would be hard for a game to be as bad at being a BR game without cribbing the basic rules directly from PUBG, as Fortnite: BR does.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Kripp said they're doing a mobile BR with pay to win microtransactions. Prolly a joke though.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody will jump on this bandwagon and nobody will A) finish one other than PUBG and B) won't make a true AAA PUBG Battle Royal title.

BlacJack

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just like they were keenly aware of how big MOBAs were getting with a mod on there own game, and were "quick" to join the scene with Heroes of the Storm.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Overwatch adding it. They love adding throwaway game modes into the Arcade or event whether they fully work with the gameplay or not

TCi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It feels like I am the only one not caring about battle royale. I'd rather have Blizzard make the games they want to make, and not go after the market.

Oct 27, 2017
Just like they were keenly aware of how big MOBAs were getting with a mod on there own game, and were "quick" to join the scene with Heroes of the Storm.

They were working on both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 when LoL/Mobas got popular. While they released HotS a year later than other attempts (Dawngate, Infinite Crisis etc.), at least they survived :)

Better late than nothing, a game by Blizzard is usually among the top in terms of production values and support, unlike 90%+ of current attempts at the BR genre like Darwin Project or Paladins BR.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's apparently a massive amount of drama and internal politics related to the reluctance to enter the MOBA sphere and with the tepid support for HOTS.