• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
www.gamespot.com

Activision Blizzard Made $1.2 Billion From Microtransactions In Just Three Months

Call of Duty microtransaction sales are four times higher this year compared to last year.

For the three-month period, Activision Blizzard made $1.2 billion from microtransactions, which are called "in-game net bookings." This is a dramatic 69 percent improvement over the same period last year, when Activision Blizzard made $709 million from in-game net bookings.
Activision's Call of Duty franchise was a bright spot for microtransactions. Microtransaction sales from Modern Warfare and the battle royale game Warzone were four times higher than the same period last year.
Activision Blizzard also owns King, the makers of Candy Crush. Microtransaction revenue from King's games grew year-over-year, but a specific number was not divulged.

More at the link

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
FWIW I'm fairly sure this includes all of their mobile stuff, including King games.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
With only 1.2 billion, I can understand why they feel obligated to increase the price of games.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
The gaming community is a disgrace. How are there so many people spending money on microtransactions? Do people enjoy being screwed over?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Completely anecdotal, but there was at least one player in every single MP game I played of Modern Warfare the last week or so that was using one of the three $20 Halloween skins. In Warzone, it's harder to pin down, but I feel like I was fighting multiple Billy & Leatherface teams per game. I get the feeling that several people out there have spent more than $60 in less than a year on MTX within the free game.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Activision's Call of Duty franchise was a bright spot for microtransactions. Microtransaction sales from Modern Warfare and the battle royale game Warzone were four times higher than the same period last year.

How is Warzone monitized? I thought it was pure F2P and full of microtransactions. With how gigantic the game seems to be, i'm honestly surprised it wasn't a much higher multiplier over the previous year

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Where are people getting all this money from to spend that much on microtransactions? I thought unemployment is the highest it's been in 10 years

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Completely anecdotal, but there was at least one player in every single MP game I played of Modern Warfare the last week or so that was using one of the three $20 Halloween skins. In Warzone, it's harder to pin down, but I feel like I was fighting multiple Billy & Leatherface teams per game. I get the feeling that several people out there have spent more than $60 in less than a year on MTX within the free game.

It's a lot easier for folks to justify spending money on mtx when they get the game for free, so I could see that. There were no shortage of premium skins in Warzone all year.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Where are people getting all this money from to spend that much on microtransactions? I thought unemployment is the highest it's been in 10 years
its just exponential you can have just need a base Of 4 million people Spending 100 a month in their games. Or 8 million spending 50 a month.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
That's not enough so it makes sense that prices have to be raised and people have to lose their jobs. Maybe once they get to 2.5 billion they can think about hiring new workers at lower wages to replace everyone.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
This is why 70 dollar games are absolute bullshit.
But publishers need to charge more for games because inflation guys.
Yup, anytime someone talks about gaming being cheaper than ever because of inflation, and then goes on to say $70 games were inevitable, all I can think about is how so many companies are posting record breaking profits due to MTs and DLC, plus they make more from the move to digital.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
In related news, their CEO is donating this money back into the Trump campaign.

C2A1.gif

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Yup, anytime someone talks about gaming being cheaper than ever because of inflation, and then goes on to say $70 games were inevitable, all I can think about is how so many companies are posting record breaking profits due to MTs and DLC, plus they make more from the move to digital.
I have the exact opposite read on this. I'm quite happy to pay more in order to have games that have no MTs.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Every extra dollar of the next-gen price bump is going straight into Bobby Kotick's pocket. He's thinking of all the dead dad holograms he's going to do and planning his next trip to the demon-worship pedophile cult island.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
In related news, their CEO is donating this money back into the Trump campaign.

It's not just that he is funding Republicans. That is to be expected. But it's the fact that he directly donating to Mitch McConnel, one of the most blatantly evil people on the earth. Bobby just can't help himself proving all of the people who meme about him being evil.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
That will never happen. They will be 70 dollars with the same amount of MT.
I'm on a steady Sony Studio game diet. I can't recall what MT were in recent games. The last game that was MT heavy that I played was D2 (never bought a single dust or whatever it was). Some of the sports game I have have MT but they're games I buy at 80% off to play a couple of games a year against friends (Fifa, NHL).

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least this model is way better than loot boxes. At least you know what you are getting and everything is completely cosmetic.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how much Bella Thorne could make in that time frame

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's a lot easier for folks to justify spending money on mtx when they get the game for free, so I could see that. There were no shortage of premium skins in Warzone all year.
Oh I agree. I spent $10 on the battlepass and actually spent $20 on MTX myself so I'm in for $30 haha, and I used the exact same justification. I feel shameful for being part of the problem, but I also put in like 400 hours (minimum) so I don't feel too terrible about my price / value proposition.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
This is not surprising. Those record revenues have to come from somewhere and it isn't just game sales. Although don't worry with the new price hike for next gen they are monetizing/milking the day one buyers as well.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
From a reddit comment: More than 50% of the profits of games with MTX comes from less than 8% of the playerbase.
That's still 6 million players and you still have to account the rest. Literally millions will buy battle passes or starter packs. Is that alot? No. Is it a transaction? Sure is.