• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
https://www.wsj.com/articles/global-stocks-rise-with-u-s-china-trade-talks-in-focus-11549875306

Read about this in another market article of all things.

Communication stocks were the biggest drag on the broad index, with the sector falling 0.6%. Videogame company Activision Blizzard fell 6.8%, while Take-Two Interactive Software shed 3.7%, extending their losses so far this month into the double digits on a percentage basis.

Missed earnings and weak outlooks for the year, partly due to the rise of mobile game "Fortnite," contributed to rebuke from investors, analysts said.

Industrial stocks, meanwhile, were among the best-performing stocks in the broad index Monday. Aluminum-parts manufacturer Arconic and railroad company Norfolk Southern both rose more than 3%, triggering more modest gains throughout the S&P 500's industrial sector

https://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/atvi

Take-Two also took a beating. EA has recovered nicely since their earnings call. Activision Blizzard's earning's call is tomorrow as well.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Sounds like a lot of video game stocks are tumbling, only reason EA is doing well is Apex Legends came at just the right time!

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
The most egregious thing about this article is that Fortnite, a game that started on PC, is now being referred to as a mobile game...

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they won't do something really bad with the microtransactions in Black Ops 4. I've been playing Apex much more lately, but I'll check out COD again when Absolute Zero ends and the new season starts.

Loot box guns would be the worst, it was a nightmare in BO3.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a lot of video game stocks are tumbling, only reason EA is doing well is Apex Legends came at just the right time!
Not to get too off topic, but do we have evidence that Apex Legends is as big a financial success for EA as it is a critical and player reception success? It seems to me so far like a F2P game without any appealing MTX. It doesn't really ahve the character appeal that say Overwatch does. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm just very curious how well Respawn can turn this smash hit into actual dollars.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the 1yr results, it's been tanking since mid October.

I believe you can make the case for a lot of stocks, especially the tech sector.

Are those results deserved or is the rest of the market dragging it down? (I don't follow Activision to say one way or another)

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Are 6% and 3% drops really worth reporting and indicate anything or that's just normal stock market?

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Yeah, real "good" for the thousands of people that work there and are already worried about their future job security.

They upset some gamers over a mobile Diablo game so I guess it's time to watch em burn right? /s

Yep, pretty much what I was going to say. I'm a devoted and disappointed WoW player but I don't want the people just doing their jobs and not making the big decisions paying for the leadership's mistakes.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
EA stock recovered nicely since Apex launch,now has almost the same market cap (~30bn $) like ActBlizz-their stock tanked a lot in the last year.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to get too off topic, but do we have evidence that Apex Legends is as big a financial success for EA as it is a critical and player reception success? It seems to me so far like a F2P game without any appealing MTX. It doesn't really ahve the character appeal that say Overwatch does. I'm not trying to be contrarian, I'm just very curious how well Respawn can turn this smash hit into actual dollars.

I mean we will have to see if we get any numbers but I've seen a pretty positive reception to the cast and the MTX are very similar to Overwatch but handled better (no dupes). We're also only a week in and things like this can cause stock prices to change in the short term.

I hope it is a success long term, it is the best BR I have played and I love what Respawn has done and they deserve the success for the amount of care they seem to have put into the product.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Activision fucked up by not having Blackout be free to play. They are still stuck in the old ways of doing things and the world has moved on.

Not only that but the fact that it's ReSpawn, people that left Activision, makes it all the more funny imo.

What's not funny though are all the people who will probably get let go tomorrow. I hope they bounce back on their feet soon enough.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to them? Didn't BLOPS4 do well? Even shedding Destiny was probably a good move in investor's eyes so what gives?

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Blackout is a flop. They needa make it f2p. It never had anywhere near the mindshare Apex is currently getting.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, real "good" for the thousands of people that work there and are already worried about their future job security.

They upset some gamers over a mobile Diablo game so I guess it's time to watch em burn right? /s

nOdbvE6.jpg

ghtyB57.jpg

Don't be disingenuous. Their "job security" is based solely on the whim of CEOs and upper management who want nothing more than to squeeze every last bit of profit they can into their own pockets. They don't give a shit about employees or their job security.

Yep, pretty much what I was going to say. I'm a devoted and disappointed WoW player but I don't want the people just doing their jobs and not making the big decisions paying for the leadership's mistakes.

Unfortunately, they pay for their mistakes regardless. To Activision leadership, there is no mistake here. This is calculated.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching CNBC earlier and they were talking about how video game stocks could be broken growth stocks now.

EA stock recovered nicely since Apex launch,now has almost the same market cap (~30bn $) like ActBlizz-their stock tanked a lot in the last year.
Tomorrow will be interesting for EA because their stock reversed pretty hard downward today. Curious if this was a small blip because it went up so much the last couple days or if it's going down again with the rest of gaming stocks.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean we will have to see if we get any numbers but I've seen a pretty positive reception to the cast and the MTX are very similar to Overwatch but handled better (no dupes). We're also only a week in and things like this can cause stock prices to change in the short term.

I hope it is a success long term, it is the best BR I have played and I love what Respawn has done and they deserve the success for the amount of care they seem to have put into the product.
It's fantastic and I love it, I just feel like there's some important things that separate it from its closest competitor, Fortnite. It's first person, so you can't see your guy. Skins are character specific, so even if they introduce one you love, there's a good chance it's for a character you don't. It's less playful which means probably less appeal in emotes and colourful skins... I don't know. I'm just worried that even though this game is fantastic, it won't really pay off.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fantastic and I love it, I just feel like there's some important things that separate it from its closest competitor, Fortnite. It's first person, so you can't see your guy. Skins are character specific, so even if they introduce one you love, there's a good chance it's for a character you don't. It's less playful which means probably less appeal in emotes and colourful skins... I don't know. I'm just worried that even though this game is fantastic, it won't really pay off.

Not being able to see your character didn't stop Overwatch MTX from being profitable, so we'll see. There is absolutely no denying the wide appeal that Fortnite has for sure, but I'm hoping the game at the very least remains big even if it doesn't topple Fortnite (which I don't expect it to).

I'm really interested in seeing where this game is in a month, and a year.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to them? Didn't BLOPS4 do well? Even shedding Destiny was probably a good move in investor's eyes so what gives?
I don't think it did as well as even WW2 otherwise Act would be bragging about non stop, but all we get is silence. Investors cant be happy about that. I would expect to hear something about MW4 tomorrow to stop the bleeding and turn it around.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Better lay off half the staff, cancel Diablo 4 if not further turn it into a MT/Lootbox hell hole and continue riding on the historic good-will of Blizzard.

Parasitic behaviour at many of the largest publishers in this industry. They will eat themselves alive, but of course, those at the top will sail off with millions in bonuses whilst the staff get thrown to the curb and/or whole projects shit-canned.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I was watching CNBC earlier and they were talking about how video game stocks could be broken growth stocks now.

Tomorrow will be interesting for EA because their stock reversed pretty hard downward today. Curious if this was a small blip because it went up so much the last couple days or if it's going down again with the rest of gaming stocks.

EA stock is surging in after market trade: +6% now,after 25M Apex news.

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I believe you can make the case for a lot of stocks, especially the tech sector.

Are those results deserved or is the rest of the market dragging it down? (I don't follow Activision to say one way or another)

Most stocks suffered at the end of the year. However the market overall has recovered a significant amount since getting near bear market territory in late December.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its kinda nutty we are heading into next gen and Activsion has nothing in the tank "new"

COD, Diablo 4 and probably getting numbered Overwatch sequels every 2 years seems like the plan for the next 10 years.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's almost like putting nearly all of you time, money, and resources into one franchise is a less-than-future-proof idea.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Just feel sorry for blizzard. God knows what made them join Activision, apart from money, knowing that's that the only objective for them. Innovation, taking risks, giving delelopers freedom etc is at the bottom of the list

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017

Counterpoints:
  • When you are leading the server your avatar is plastered all over the maps on billboards. People will pay money to customize these.
  • Unlocking new characters will be a big draw, and new ones are coming soon. This is basically how Rainbow 6 operates.
  • Custom execution moves are also probably going to be a thing
Honestly I think it's going to be fine

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry that I want the company I've previously enjoyed games from to make games I'd enjoy playing instead of shit I'd never touch in a thousand years

I understand being disappointed, but neither the world nor a company's output revolve around a single person's tastes. Wishing failure on something that's the culmination of many people's hard work is pretty immature, even if you personally are disinterested by it.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Just feel sorry for blizzard. God knows what made them join Activision, apart from money, knowing that's that the only objective for them. Innovation, taking risks, giving delelopers freedom etc is at the bottom of the list

They didn't have a choice? Blizzard hasn't been independent in a long time.

They have been owned by other companies since 1994.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Losing Destiny has to hurt. They have pretty much nothing to replace it in terms of service games with wide appeal. Battle Royale is likely pulling people away from COD, and even the people who stick around for Blackout are probably harder to monetize since you can't sell map packs to them.