• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Didn't see this posted yet but Activision has announced its PR at the link below on initial sales of Call of Duty: WWII. Big opening weekend, up 2x vs last year in terms of unit sales.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20171108005673/en/

Three-Day Opening Weekend Over $500 Million in Worldwide Sales

Activision's World War II Epic Sells Twice as Many Units at Launch as Last Year

Call of Duty's Highest Total Connected Users on Current Generation Consoles and PC

Sets PlayStation 4 Day One Record for Digital Full Game Sales

Activision's Call of Duty®: WWII has surpassed more than $500 million in sell-through worldwide in its first three days of release, topping popular theatrical box office openings Thor: Ragnarok and Wonder Woman combined, according to company estimates.

On PlayStation®4, Call of Duty: WWII set a record as the best-selling digital full game by units sold on its first day of availability. Overall unit sales at launch doubled year-over-year globally.

The gripping, personal narrative, boots-on-the-ground multiplayer and terrifying Nazi Zombies mode attracted players worldwide resulting in the highest total connected users on current generation consoles and PC in Call of Duty® history.

More at the link of course, including executive comments etc.

Oct 25, 2017
User was warned for this post for: Dev complaining
Makes me sad that this cookiecutter stuff that gets pumped out without care does so well while creative games flop. I hate being "that guy" but it's just upsetting to see.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It honestly deserves it. The campaign is a fairly standard World War II campaign but it's good all the way around. The multiplayer is also much better, sans bugs and server issues, than any COD since Black Ops 1.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Makes me sad that this cookiecutter stuff that gets pumped out without care does so well while creative games flop. I hate being "that guy" but it's just upsetting to see.
I haven't played it yet, but I thought the new CoD was genuinely a good game?

Maybe not creatively an exact tour de force, but far from what I'd label as cookiecutter.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017

Come on man

If the dev's didn't care the game would be shit, and by all accounts its not. Looks and runs really well. Only with care do these things happen

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Without care? That's extremely insulting to the developers. This isn't a Wii shovelware game.

Matchew

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't get this. People worked hard on this game and it has been receiving positive reviews from critics and fans. It is a good thing this is selling well.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2x unit sales is incredibly impressive. Seems to be in a similar situation as AC Origins in terms of revitalizing the franchise

OP
OP
DomsPlaying

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
I haven't played it yet, but I thought the new CoD was genuinely a good game?

Maybe not creatively an exact tour de force, but far from what I'd label as cookiecutter.

81% on Open Critic. I'm enjoying the game personally but it's certainly not anything revolutionary or innovative. Looks stunning, but mostly going to be a place for me to chat with friends and shoot some stuff. Similar to Destiny.

http://opencritic.com/game/4505/call-of-duty-wwii

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017

Considering its Cookie Cutter Status - I've heard this iteration is actually pretty good. Not sure whether it's half a billion good but eh.

Last edited:

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Probably proves that people have some degree of fatigue for modern/future CoD. Funny thing that we've come full circle as people experienced the same with World War CoD games in the past.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Congrats to the team! I'm still waiting for a proper Brothers In Arms sequel, but might actually grab this for the singleplayer when the price goes down, haven't played a COD game since Modern Warfare

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when game companies compare revenue to movies when the cost of of games is so much higher than that of movie tickets. It's so stupid.

Not that it's defending them but I don't think you can buy loot boxes in the game right now with actual cash. They are earned via play.
Oh don't worry, I'm sure they'll patch it in a couple weeks from now once all the reviews are already out.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Really? I mean, Call of Duty games are many things, but unpolished they are certainly not. As much creativity, or lack of creativity, goes into the game design, everything usually is polished to a mirror sheen. So The developers absolutely do care about what they push out, even if it is cookiecutter.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when game companies compare revenue to movies when the cost of of games is so much higher than that of movie tickets. It's so stupid.

I really don't see how that makes comparisons invalid? Lower ticket prices also mean you have way larger target audience than $60 games. Not to mention you don't need buy $299 box in addition when you go to movies that makes target audience even larger when it comes to movies.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I'm pretty sure the developers care about what they make and the COD games are generally well made, good games packed with a good amount of content on the disc (Single Player Campaign, Feature Packed Multiplayer and Zombie Modes) Not everyone likes them of course but they are still good games.

The COD games are made on a 3 year development now, as they have 3 different developers making them, just spread out, so they can release one each year. It's not like each game is only in development for 1 year.

OP
OP
DomsPlaying

DomsPlaying

Oct 25, 2017
NJ & NYC
Oh don't worry, I'm sure they'll patch it in a couple weeks from now once all the reviews are already out.

True that. Won't be long now. Honestly I'd be totally fine with these types of loot crates that can only be earned by playing a game. Rewards players that stick around. But buying the same exact ones with currency down the line is definitely where I draw the line.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
I had hoped this new place wouldn't have these kind of posts anymore, especially about COD. But unfortunate, things haven't changed. On the old forum COD games always get joke OPs. Unfortunately it's also in this new place.

I haven't bought the game and probably won't for now. I'm burned out on the series, but I don't feel the need to shit on the game and or devs. I wish people could be a bit mature here compared to the old place. There's no need for blind hate, just because
it's something you don't care for.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Well, it's a good CoD. First really good in all 3 modes - single player, multiplayer and zombies. IW was only good in 2 of those, Blops 3 also.

I hope they see jump-pack/sci-fi fatigue and next time we'll get some Vietnam/Cold War era stuff.

Tbalt

Oct 27, 2017
Sugar Hill, GA
Replay value, entertainment, and return on investment...many people get 100s of hours of enjoyment off a CoD purchase. Many of these creative games by comparison, either aren't very good, or don't give you much bang for your buck and are done after a few hours.

Deleted member 1777

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London

Just so you know 3 developers make a new cod so these games have a 3 year Dev cycle, these are not what I call "pumped out without care"

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I keep forgetting Cod is this monster of a franchise that sells ridiculous levels. It's simply never on my radar.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like there were a lot of people turned off by mobility-based Call of Duty. Back to basics brought them out of the woodwork. Wonder if Activision is scrambling on whatever Treyarch is doing seeing those numbers (assuming it's a continuation of Black Ops 3 gameplay).

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I can't remember, but is there a reason they're touting dollars sold vs units sold? I remember them and Microsoft doing this for Halo a few times.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Must have done well then, can't say I remember Acti boasting on the launch of last year's game?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
But it's not cookie cutter, cookie. Cutter would be something like Madden or NHL, this is totally different from the last 3 titles and the zombies game is probably the best it has ever been with a much more robust system.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Well deserved, the multiplayer is really fun and mostly balanced, i'm having a lot of fun even with the mostly average maps, that says a lot about the game IMO

I needed my WWII fix, i tried BF1 and it just wasn't as fun as this, i'm a TDM player mostly and the sizd abd layout of BF1 maps just wasn't fun in that mode, great game tho.

Congrats lootivision