• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every physical game takes up the same amount of space on your HDD as the digital version on PS4/XB1.

No, I meant in terms of download size. If you have a strict cap on your monthly bandwidth and want to save some space by installing from the disc. However, some games make you download the whole damn game over again at some point, so not even that is guaranteed.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wow, 50% on consoles. That's really pretty high!

There is zero reason to buy a physical copy of the game unless you want to save a few dozen gigabytes in downloading the game (and there's not even any guarantee of that).

There are other actual reasons to own a disc: you can resell it, you can lend it, you can pre-order it to get into a beta and then get a refund, and, generally, the disc version ends up being cheaper than digital.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking out loud: "The folks who are more likely to buy and enjoy Destiny are also the folks who are more like to purchase digital. This does not necessarily reflect on the gaming population as a whole, or at least to the same degree." Reasonable or way off base?

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Wow. Can't say I'm totally surprised. Still want a disc drive for next gen though. Lol

Oct 25, 2017
I bought discs mostly when I got my Xbone, but shortly after I was middling out and eventually I went all digital. Even on 360 and stuff I've played I rebuy to have. Other friend goes digital too. I know one guy who still prefers to get physical copies, I only do it for single player games now and only if I have a reason (Ori was really cool to get physical)

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I made that thread and I don't think it was silly.

Is the game suddenly not down 50% at retail?

Yeah, that makes no sense. If a game goes down 50 % in retail from say 3 million to 1.5 million and is 50 % digital that puts it at 3 million again. But then you still miss the 25 % digital of the first game, which would be 1 million. So for every 3 million sold of Destiny 2, Destiny sold a million more.

maGs

Oct 27, 2017
I havent even made it through the story yet on pc. Ive found the whole experience pretty underwhelming, honestly.

The shooting feels pretty good but theres nothing else to it, just wave after wave of bad guys and the loot is uninspired. Maybe its because I'm playing solo? I dunno.... Proably lost me towards further dlc if this is all they decided to offer out of the gate

Oct 25, 2017
I havent even made it through the story yet on pc. Ive found the whole experience pretty underwhelming, honestly.

The shooting feels pretty good but theres nothing else to it, just wave after wave of bad guys and the loot is uninspired. Maybe its because I'm playing solo? I dunno.... Proably lost me towards further dlc if this is all they decided to offer out of the gate

OK, but what are your thoughts on the actual topic?

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Yet another way in which retail is rapidly losing its significance in the modern world.

On a side note the s should mean that ASP is substantially higher than the original which I think most of us had already guessed. Wish they would reveal the actual figures.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are countries that have a huge digital split and others that have a lower digital split. 50 % doesn't mean UK is also at 50 % for instance. Destiny 2 sales were down, it's a fact.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I bought digital because my Gamestop was doing a launch...after the launch by 3 hours. So yeah, I went digital.

Destiny is an exception where I had to play at launch.

Fdkn

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
That's some crow served allright

Rejoice hot-takers, you can still post that the legs will suck for some months

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that makes no sense. If a game goes down 50 % in retail from say 3 million to 1.5 million and is 50 % digital that puts it at 3 million again. But then you still miss the 25 % digital of the first game, which would be 1 million. So for every 3 million sold of Destiny 2, Destiny sold a million more.

25% was the digital sales portion of D1?

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vastly so, especially as the price drops.

With a retail game:

At $60, you have a $12 console licensing fee and a $12 retail margin, so you get $36, or 60%. You also have the risk of paying return fees, which can cost around $7 a unit for units you overship.

At $20, the console licensing fee is still $12, and the retail margin is $5, so you're only getting $3. This is why AAA games bottom out at $20 at retail, but $5 digitally, since it's about the same amount of money for the publisher.

Retailers can also choose to sell your product for less and do charge backs for the difference in most regions, barring contractual agreements.

With digital, it's a static 70% no matter what you're charging, and there's no inventory risk.

Shame it's so backwards for consumer value though.

Physical game at launch=$60.

Physical = $48 (plus tax) with GCU or Prime discount and ability to sell for a decent chunk of that back if you finish quickly before value tanks (for those that aren't collectors).

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No, I meant in terms of download size. If you have a strict cap on your monthly bandwidth and want to save some space by installing from the disc. However, some games make you download the whole damn game over again at some point, so not even that is guaranteed.

Ah, yeah, it's ridiculous that bandwidth caps exist in some countries and until that situation gets better I can't see physical media going away.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
There is zero reason to buy a physical copy of the game unless you want to save a few dozen gigabytes in downloading the game (and there's not even any guarantee of that).
There's plenty of reasons. For starters, here in the Netherlands 3rd party games are €70 in the PlayStation Network Store, while at retailers you can easily get the game for €60. And like someone else said above, you can lend it, resell it and based on the retailer's policy return it. Physical versions also have bonuses for Special Editions, such as a steelbook you can't get with a digital version. Just the €10 difference in pricing is enough for me to pick physical over digital.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting yelled at from all angles for assuming digital might be over 50% for D2.

Makes so much sense for a game like Destiny.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Well I can say that I definitely enjoyed Destiny 2 way more than I ever did Destiny 1 at launch. Even playing solo doesn't feel like I am playing in an empty world in Destiny 2. Though I have slowed down my game time due to my backlog of games, I still jump in and dont feel left behind by my friends.

EDIT: Yes I did go digital deluxe on this whereas I went physical on Destiny 1.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
That put a shut up on some guys saying Destiny 2 underperformed compared with original.

Deserved sales.

Sad Bungie has a long path to make the sequel to te standard of the first game.

I remember getting yelled at from all angles for assuming digital might be over 50% for D2.

Makes so much sense for a game like Destiny.
GTS is another game that makes sense having more digital than average...

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I'm fuzzy on your math here but the previous thread said down 50% at retail at that point in time. However this earnings call reports that after PC launch, D2 is well ahead of "Player spend" at *this* point in time.

So once you consider a few things... such as the loss of PS3/X360 platforms, the gain of the PC platform, and the fact that Eververse didn't exist at D1 launch, you've got a lot of funky variables that really don't allow for any kind of reliable estimation other than D2 has made more money than D1 date-to-date.

We could armchair speculate all day about whether PC made up losing the last gen consoles or if not, how much, etc.. etc.. but the bottom line is still that D2 has made more money which is what keeps Bungie, Activision, and their investors happy.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking out loud: "The folks who are more likely to buy and enjoy Destiny are also the folks who are more like to purchase digital. This does not necessarily reflect on the gaming population as a whole, or at least to the same degree." Reasonable or way off base?

Depends on what you mean. Do you mean that consumers that buy digitally also are more invested in general? Sure. If you mean, that D2 is way down from D1 and that the digital ratio's your seeing here are hiding that then no. D2 is down from D1 in units but not substantially so

That's some interesting math and random numbers you are just throwing around there.

Really? I didn't know this.

Keep in mind I'm not saying to expect all games to sell 40% digital. I'm just saying its pretty rare to see games do under 30% in this day and age and you are seeing more come in around high 30's and low 40's then you are seeing sub 30%. EA even talked about this publicly

"We do think the industry will end calendar year 2017 probably above 40%," he added. That's close to half of the industry's sales being done online, which is a big step.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/10/over-40-of-game-sales-will-be-digital-by-the-end-of-the-year/

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the anecdotal evidence was pointing to Destiny's digital number being huge and it beared out. Why own a disc for a GaaS game.

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I haven't done any of those in probably a solid decade, so I admit that was a bit of a blind spot.

Yeah, physical is big for me. Friend got a ps4 a few months back. Lent him literally 10 games at once. Saved him a ton of money and honestly, he would probably never buy 70% of the games I lent him in the first place. But hey, let him try everything out.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, 50% on consoles. That's really pretty high!

There are other actual reasons to own a disc: you can resell it, you can lend it, you can pre-order it to get into a beta and then get a refund, and, generally, the disc version ends up being cheaper than digital.

Yep. For me it's 20% discount from GCU and selling after beating (or abandoning) is the reason I mostly go physical.

Good example is I drunkenly impulse bought Arms digitally. Got sick of it and was our $60.

I got sick of Splatoon 2 and Mario Rabbids, but I had bought physically with 20% dividing and was or less than $10 each after selling in Amazon a taking their fee into account.

As someone that doesn't collect or replay it just makes more sense to buy and resell. Very little hassle with Amazon as you just buy and print the shipping label as part of the selling process and I tape that on the padded envelope and stick it in my mailbox with the flag up.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Called it, Physical is getting irrelevant.
Nah, physical will remain relevant with internet infrastructure still being shitty in a lot of parts of the world like North America and for those with data caps. Memberships like GCU at Best Buy outweigh the benefits of digital for a lot of people.

MS and Sony should implement pre-order/launch week discounts with PS+/Gold if they really want bigger digital sale numbers. It's probably the only thing stopping me from switching to digital to be honest.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, physical will remain relevant with internet infrastructure still being shitty in a lot of parts of the world like North America and for those with data caps. Memberships like GCU at Best Buy outweigh the benefits of digital for a lot of people.

MS and Sony should implement pre-order/launch week discounts with PS+/Gold if they really want bigger digital sale numbers. It's probably the only thing stopping me from switching to digital to be honest.

Yes but digital still growing.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, destiny 1 was proof that buying d2 physically was gonna be more of a hassle than its worth.

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
That digital share though. Times have changed greatly.

I'm all digital and happy about it. I just shop for deals on PSN cards. Better value for me

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you mean. Do you mean that consumers that buy digitally also are more invested in general? Sure. If you mean, that D2 is way down from D1 and that the digital ratio's your seeing here are hiding that then no. D2 is down from D1 in units but not substantially so.

No, I mean Destiny, by virtue of being (primarily) an online/multiplayer/MMO/GaaS affair, caters to a certain crowd. I wonder if that crowd is also more likely to purchase a game digitally as opposed to physically. Compared to a game like Dark Souls or even Mario Odyssey, the prime audience there may not skew as much towards purchasing a game digitally. Again, just a thought experiment; I haven't personally looked into any substantial evidence pointing one way or the other.