• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
charlieintel.com

Activision files DMCA subpoena against Reddit to identify Warzone leaker - Charlie INTEL

Activision Publishing has filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act subpoena against Reddit Inc this week to get the identity behind a Reddit user. The
Activision Publishing has filed a Digital Millennium Copyright Act subpoena against Reddit Inc this week to get the identity behind a Reddit user. The subpoena was filed in California court on February 14.

Reddit user Assyrian2410 posted on r/ModernWarfare last week a post titled "I found this image online, not sure what it is." The post showcased what appeared to be an artwork for "Call of Duty: Warzone." The user quickly deleted their post from Reddit and deleted their account, but the image spread around the internet.
Per THR, Activision is looking to identify who is the leaker behind the Assyrian2410 account to identify how the image was leaked.

"Reddit is the service provider to which the subject of the subpoena-Reddit user 'Assyrian2410' – posted infringing Activision content. The Content infringes Activision's exclusive rights under copyright law. Specifically, it infringes Activision's rights in its popular video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Activision is seeking the information from Reddit to then pursue legal action against Assyrian2410 for posting the image online.

At the time of this writing, Activision has yet to even announce Call of Duty Warzone officially yet. All information has just been leaks via sources and in-game files. There still is no confirmed release time table for this mode.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why? The new update had a trailer for this, it's no secret it's coming. All the image revealed was that it's called Warzone.

This seems real fucking petty.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could Reddit refuse the give the information to Activision?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
COD leaks practically every year, why would this be what set them off?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, why? The new update had a trailer for this, it's no secret it's coming. All the image revealed was that it's called Warzone.

They're trying to figure out where it came from so they can a) sue who leaked it and b) set a precedent of suing people who leak confidential information to deter people.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
they're going to go harder against this guy than anyone is ever going to go against kotick being on epstein's flight logs :/

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a bunch of malarkey. Just activision waving their big d*&k around to try and scare people.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

It's because one of their own employees leaked it. They rarely if ever outsource QA and that means someone at IW QA leaked it. Any company will take an internal breach stupid serious.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The reason they're probably doing this is because it appears the leaker might be an Activsion or Infinity Ward employee. The leaked image in question was promo art for the game, not just something datamined or leaked through a bug so it's quite understandable as to why they wanna know who this person is.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
The reason they're probably doing this is because it appears the leaker might be an Activsion or Infinity Ward employee. The leaked image in question was promo art for the game, not just something datamined or leaked through a bug so it's quite understandable as to why they wanna know who this person is.
To boot not just that but any potential money they would have put towards marketing, probably moot at this point because the impact they tried to make with it compared to the oh nice it's called warzone is a lot different.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, interesting.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Quick thought, Does anyone think because Nintendo and The Pokemon Company/Gamefreak went after the leakers of the game successfully it gave Activision the same confidence to stop the people that leak their stuff or are we just hearing more about it now/this always being the case?

Ok that makes more sense because I never saw them going after this hard before.

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's a publicly traded company; the leak was likely from someone on the inside... they take this stuff pretty seriously even if the exact leak wasn't super meaningful.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So weird that they'd target this Reddit user for leaking a picture of a title screen, and not someone like Schreier who has reported several times about this years CoD struggles.

I don't believe that anyone should be targeted, and they should just say "yeah, something's coming" and be done with it.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's very weird that this in particular has them in a tiffy, but other misc leaks regarding other game content related to MW is completely fine.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
So weird that they'd target this Reddit user for leaking a picture of a title screen, and not someone like Schreier who has reported several times about this years CoD struggles.

I don't believe that anyone should be targeted, and they should just say "yeah, something's coming" and be done with it.
I don't think it's weird that they're not suing a journalist

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand if this is just some random reddit user, absolutely fuck Activision for trying to take such drastic measures. On the other hand if they're trying to sniff out an employee who's stabbing them in the back, I kinda get where they're coming from.

Either way I hope reddit is able to tell them to screw off.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I get it but also fuck activision.

Maybe they could just release the fucking thing instead of teasing us for 6 weeks

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Would there even be any legal basis to go after someone like Jason Schreier? People like him have 0 contractual obligation to keep Activision's secret a secret, that's on the people who signed a NDA.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

It was an employee so it 100% makes sense they would try to find out who it was. The company you work for doesn't want you leaking shit to people.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As far as I understand, DMCA only gives Activision the right to request the offending material is taken down, if it hasn't been already. Not to provide identities of those who may have uploaded the content to the site. Leaker may have used a burner email account and VPN regardless.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
As far as I understand, DMCA only gives Activision the right to request the offending material is taken down, if it hasn't been already. Not to provide identities of those who may have uploaded the content to the site. Leaker may have used a burner email account and VPN regardless.

This is a part of the DMCA or related to it; it describes the subpoena process Activision is using, and yeah they are required to follow it.

Reddit is limited in their liability (hence the name of the act), but if they don't follow the rules, they become liable.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
No, they have to comply.

That doesn't mean they have the information being requested. But if they do, they'd either need to hand it over or try to challenge the request (which they won't do).

i feel like this would set a really shitty precedent
It's the law. There is no precedent being set here.

Copyright holders do this all the time.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy looked into it and it seems like Activision specifically wants this to happen in Q2 for finance reasons (there's a lot of evidence for this)

So my wild tin foil conjecture is that IW heard from the top they were gunna be forced to delay til April and they thought if they wagged it in our faces enough (menu video, classified, leaked image, etc) then they would have to let them release when they wanted to satiate the fanbase

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Take Two initially sue a Journalist (website) for publishing not publicly announced information about Read Read Redemption 2?

www.eurogamer.net

Website pulls Red Dead Redemption 2 leak story, Rockstar directs £1m settlement to charity

A UK website has pulled an article published in February 2018 that revealed unannounced gameplay details about Red Dead…
This isn't the same. They had acquired confidential documents and used that as their source. It's much harder to go after a journalist's confidential sources.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I wonder if people would act the same if it was a different publisher, like say someone internally at Naughty Dog or From Software leaked info for an currently in the works yet unannounced project. Would people also do the "Fuck insert company" reactions for trying to track down a breach of NDA within their company.

Especially since these sorts of leaks would make marketing and hype build up pointless. No point in hyping up an upcoming release for a new title when everyone already knows it's a thing.

I could care less if it was an Activision, EA, or even Square-Enix game. The company is irrelevant. Still leak culture and breaking NDA ahead of trade conferences like E3 or PAX has always been a issue.

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

How is this weird? Do you not know how journalism works my dude

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Since when is trying to find an employee leaking your shit setting a bad precedent? This happens far too often with Call of Duty and I can only imagine at this point they're tire of it.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017

Its done to intimidate future leakers, "dont mess with us or we'll go after you"

Whether they actually catch the guy or not is irrelevant.

and yes. it IS petty.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if people would act the same if it was a different publisher, like say someone internally at Naughty Dog or From Software leaked info for an currently in the works yet unannounced project. Would people also do the "Fuck insert company" reactions for trying to track down a breach of NDA within their company.

Especially since these sorts of leaks would make marketing and hype build up pointless. No point in hyping up an upcoming release for a new title when everyone already knows it's a thing.

I could care less if it was an Activision, EA, or even Square-Enix game. The company is irrelevant. Still leak culture and breaking NDA ahead of trade conferences like E3 or PAX has always been a issue.

I mean if you want you can go back and search to when a site leaked a ton of art and information about the new God of War before it was even revealed, including the norse mythology and viking stuff. Sony ninjas went so ham on that site it basically disappeared from existence.