• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that Activision Blizzard really wants the PC version of Black Ops 4 to succeed, and pointed this out as a major difference to previous years.

Activision Blizzard said:
And it's a most important last point, which is that this is a game that's not going to just build on our strengths. It will continue to push the envelope in innovation. You'll see that in the core game itself, where we have a number of new exciting developments to roll out very soon, but also in the game's appeal on growth platforms like PC, where we've invested significant dedicated resources and design time to make sure we can deliver a great PC game to serve that community. So very soon, May 17, we'll have a lot more to say at the Black Ops 4 global reveal, and I hope you tune in. You should.
Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/41...atvi-q1-2018-results-earnings-call-transcript

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Putting actual effort into your ports? Imagine that!

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Not that surprising. Black Ops tends to sell the best on PC out of all the CoD sub-brands.

Also, I think there were indications that it would be on Battle.net rather than Steam, right? Maybe that might help it a bit somehow.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
For what? COD dies on PC so quickly.

edit

just so we're clear, I'm glad this is happening.(if true)

More AAA games could use this treatment.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
Putting actual effort into your ports? Imagine that!

For what? COD dies on PC so quickly.
Y'all are acting like this is some bold revelation, but in terms of things like configurability and capability, iirc, recent CoD's have been knocking it out of the park. It's just ironic that they put this investment in but PC apparently sells less and less each year, in propotion to their console counterparts.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I think putting it on Battle.net will help tremendously, which I think they will do. There is an audience for CoD on PC they just gotta show they care.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are acting like this is some bold revelation, but in terms of things like configurability and capability, iirc, recent CoD's have been knocking it out of the park. It's just ironic that they put this investment in but PC apparently sells less and less each year, in propotion to their console counterparts.

I have not had a good PC experience with AW or IW.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018

May have something to do with their BR mode. Probably hoping PC gamers like it and begin streaming it like crazy or something.

DSync

Oct 27, 2017
Black Ops 2 was the only good one since launch really, black ops 3 and all those others from Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer have been terrible on PC.

I've got Black Ops 3 on Steam played it for about 50 hours never had any problems, ran smooth as butter and had constant full lobbies etc

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Setting precedent matters, had the early CoDs gotten quality ports, the PC scene would've been just as big as the console one.
Not to mention that CoD games and their DLCs are some of the worst on Steam in terms of getting frequent sales.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It won't matter if it's the same Banal title that we see year after year with minor changes. The reason things like PUBG did gangbusters on PC is because it was fresh. I'd say PC players in general are much less likely to buy games based on franchise. those kinds of games scream, buy me on console so you can sell me later. Especially since a new one will be out in a year, maybe two.

DoublePayje

Oct 29, 2017
Only acceptable port in recent years was Black Ops 3 and even that had issues (only on highest settings on highend systems tho, lower settings on weaker pcs was absolutely fine). All other games were made with the AW engine and that one was trash to begin with. But hell, WW2 on xbox is trash too with unbelievables loading times and never loading assets during multiplayer matches.

That said: The pc dev team at Treyarch is well known and it speaks for itself that they are allowed to have seperate, own twitter account from the rest of Treyarch and Activision. But nah, not having much faith anymore, and this comes from someone who has master prestige ranks in several CoDs for pc.

I wonder if Treyarch will push for mods in BO4. There's a sizeable amount of content on the Steam Workshop.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/311210/workshop/

Treyarch/Activision gives zero fucks about these mods in the CoD ecosystem (or Black Ops ecosystem), the modding tools are only there to aquire new talent for the studio because they do not work with standard engines like unreal and not even with the standard CoD engine that Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer use (build on AW engine). Those modding tools are more necessity for Treyarch than anything else.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
They say this every year and honestly the PC versions of COD have been absolutely fine for years.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I think it terms of a quality port job specifically I can believe it if it ends up on Battle.net. Despite the low amount of games available on their launcher they all work great.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for some killer Battle Royale PC numbers I guess.
I was thinking, like MP on PC usually dies fast, but the sales are still decent for some good SP content. So it would be counter intuitive to put more effort into something you arent shipping with a SP campaign. But then i realized the BR craze and now it makes perfect sense. Plus the SP will end up being like some old school arena Battlefield campaign where you fight AI dudes under a pretend campaign.

Oct 26, 2017
Black ops 3 was really successful on Steam compared to other COD titles, sold better than AW and Ghosts and Treyarch added modding tool as well.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Something tells me this is all the more reason that this year's CoD will be on Battle.Net and not Steam

GoldenKings

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if CoD Esports will make a move to PC this time around? The marketing deal is apparently up in the air/has changed. It would be a pretty big move for the franchise but I bet this has more to do with the Battle Royale mode and being on Battle.net.

What happened with that rumor that there is no decent SP in the new COD?

It's still out there and pretty much reported on by everyone. People have just come to accept there's no traditional campaign at this point.

Something tells me this is all the more reason that this year's CoD will be on Battle.Net and not Steam

The CoD website already let's you link your Battle.net account to it. It's happening.

TheBrainninja

Oct 27, 2017
Well hey, good on them putting in the effort to make sure I can enjoy their single-player content in the best possible way
Upside-Down_Face_Emoji_4dbbbd80-eb60-4c91-9642-83368692e361_large.png

Hopping_Mad

User banned for use of alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Australia
If you want to fix PC sales, you have to release the server files at launch. Like cod 4. No peer to peer bullshit. No lobby bullshit where you connect to "dedicated servers". You release the files to the community to host their own games.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Saw "dedicated" in the thread title so for a moment thought there'd be dedicated servers. Silly me.

Redria

Oct 28, 2017
I swear Sledgehammer said the exact same thing for WWII on pc, which I fell for hook line & sinker. Delayed patches, frequent stuttering and jam packed full of hackers with no anti-cheat is what we got instead.

Think I'll pass this time.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they say this with Black Ops 3 as well? And didn't that port have serious problems?
No, CoD on PC has been pretty damn good.

Edit: Yea the hacking probably the worst part, the loading and stuttering in WW2 are in all the versions of the game....

Black Ops 3 had a pretty good anticheat

I was thinking, like MP on PC usually dies fast, but the sales are still decent for some good SP content. So it would be counter intuitive to put more effort into something you arent shipping with a SP campaign. But then i realized the BR craze and now it makes perfect sense. Plus the SP will end up being like some old school arena Battlefield campaign where you fight AI dudes under a pretend campaign.

I still get games pretty easily on WW2.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
I swear Sledgehammer said the exact same thing for WWII on pc, which I fell for hook line & sinker. Delayed patches, frequent stuttering and jam packed full of hackers with no anti-cheat is what we got instead.

Think I'll pass this time.

Same here i wasn't alone, terrible port overall.

Also i'm playing CoD more on PS4 than on PC, since it dies very fast and never holds a large playerbase.