• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Dy63OZVVsAA05IT.jpg:large

So uh...good luck getting a refund! I don't know when I bought mine but it definitely wasn't on release date.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
According to my best buy orders I bought this in November of 2015. I'll forever keep my plastic shit.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard about getting a refund on a four year old game. Must've bombed hard for Activision.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Had no idea Live was shut down. Looks like I missed the window, oh well. Can't really complain, I only spent $16 for the game+guitar.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Guitar Hero Live was online only? What the hell for?
It wasn't online only, but the game itself only had a small selection of songs.
The meat of the games tracks were in the Spotify style streaming ode that was actually really cool.

Sucks to see it get shut down, but it's the nature of the beast.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't online only, but the game itself only had a small selection of songs.
The meat of the games tracks were in the Spotify style streaming ode that was actually really cool.

Sucks to see it get shut down, but it's the nature of the beast.

Why is that cool? It means the game loses a huge chunk of value now that the servers are gone It's not like the hardware was an issue, Blu Rays have a ton of space for music.

Why is that cool? It means the game loses a huge chunk of value now that the servers are gone It's not like the hardware was an issue, Blu Rays have a ton of space for music.
The issue is that every song was a video file, too, and there's only so much that even a BD-50 can hold. By the end of GHTV's life, they wound up with nearly 500 songs, to go with the 42 that were on-disc.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Guitar Hero Live was online only? What the hell for?
Had two modes. The offline mode had you playing along with recorded videos of a band playing in front of an audience, and if you started messing up, it switched to another video of the audience getting angry and your band members pissed off at you. The online mode was like the MTV of old - it was constantly streaming music videos, separated into different half-hour themed shows, and you could play along with the videos. Then you could spend points to choose a specific music video of your choice rather than just whatever was currently playing.

That mode is gone, so the song list went from hundreds of songs to 42. It was a great idea, and a very fun mode, and you didn't have to pay extra money for any of those songs, but now that the server is shut down we experience the bad side, that we get zero extra songs. They shut the server down because they weren't making enough money to make it worth renewing the song licenses.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that every song was a video file, too, and there's only so much that even a BD-50 can hold. By the end of GHTV's life, they wound up with nearly 500 songs, to go with the 42 that were on-disc.

Didn't realize they had a unique video for every single song. I assumed they hand only a few pre recorded clips. That is pretty cool in context.

Didn't realize they had a unique video for every single song. I assumed they hand only a few pre recorded clips. That is pretty cool in context.
Some songs used a generic video, but for the most part, they got the original music videos. The team that developed the game mentioned it was actually a lot easier to add content that way since there were less hurdles to hop over compared to the previous games, which had required stems for each instrument to be present. Rock Band still uses that method, but they're a lot laxer these days so some songs will be little different from having an MP3 playing and have no hard audio cues for misses or new mixes.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
September 2016. Damn. LOL Oh well... played it for a little bit, but tired of it pretty quickly.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I only paid $12 for it... But $12 would get me a hot & ready pizza and crazy bread from Little Caesar's... I should check and see when I bought it.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Pretty sure I bought in 2016. Plus I'm not in the US so what does it matter.

It was a great game. Song streaming meant it was always going to be time limited but it was great while it lasted. Most fun I had in the series. Six buttons was way better too.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Conceptually, it allowed you to access the entire DLC library for free. Imagine getting all of the songs in the Rock Band catalogue, included with your base purchase.

They never quite figured out a good business model, though.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Conceptually, it allowed you to access the entire DLC library for free. Imagine getting all of the songs in the Rock Band catalogue, included with your base purchase.

They never quite figured out a good business model, though.
I thought it was a good enough business model, once I got far enough into it I would occasionally pay money for more points to play my favorite songs. It's more a marketing problem, trying to market a new plastic-instrument game with its own unique instrument, and I didn't see hardly any marketing for it at all after it launched.

CoinStarDX

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said they had the original music videos, and it was awesome to have friends over and pay a nominal fee and have access to the entire online library of songs.

Nov 23, 2017
Ghtv didn't ruin this one, Changing the controller buttons to whatever god awful form it took was what did it in. None of my friends or myself who had years of experience and bought multiple games in the series wanted to touch it once we tried it. It was completely different and ridiculous to throw away all the built up skill for literally no reason.