• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
After attracting over a million players to his game, "Warlight," and with the impending demise of Adobe Flash in 2014, indie video game developer Randy Ficker decided to make a sequel. He began searching for available domain names and titles that would embody the turn-based, strategy game, which is very similar to the board game Risk and playable on Web browsers and mobile platforms.

"'Warzone' was the only one for sale," Ficker told The Washington Post.
After three years of work, he launched "Warzone" in 2017 and was thrilled by the public's response, with over 750,000 downloads from the Apple (iOS) and Google (Android) app stores.

Fast forward to 2020. In his email, a Google Alert informed Ficker that video game publishing behemoth Activision was about to release a free-to-play battle royale version of its juggernaut Call of Duty franchise. The name: "Warzone."

Since Ficker had previously used "Warzone" as a title for his game, it gives him the right to use the mark in commerce, as well as a priority claim, according to Kendra Albert, a clinical instituter at the Harvard Law School's Cyberlaw Clinic. "Once you start using a mark in commerce, you can start acquiring rights," Albert said.

The legal determination over rights is more complicated, however. Should Ficker's case proceed, the court would determine whether consumers are likely to confuse Ficker's game as being affiliated or made by Activision, whether their title violates Ficker's common law trademark rights (having used it first), and which party should ultimately have the right to use Warzone as their title. The two parties also have a legal filing with the United States Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), should the courts not rule on which party can use the Warzone name.

On June 25, 2020, some three years after Ficker purchased the Warzone.com URL and launched his game, Activision filed an application with the United States Patent and Trademark Office to trademark "Warzone" and "Call of Duty: Warzone." Ficker filed his application for the trademark on Oct. 30 of last year, along with an opposition to Activision's claim the following month with the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, which decides if disputed marks will be registered or removed.
Ficker's attorney, Derek A. Newman, later sent a cease-and-desist letter to Activision, and the two parties began trying to settle the case. Ficker said his ask was 0.25% of Call of Duty Warzone's profits. While Activision has not released any revenue figures specifically around "Warzone," which monetizes by selling in-game currency that can be used on cosmetics and a seasonal battle pass, the company announced in May that it had been played by 100 million people. Activision countered with an offer of $10,000, according to Ficker, which he rejected.

Having failed to come to terms, on April 8, 2021, Activision filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court asking the court to declare that the corporation has permission to use the Warzone name, that usage does not infringe on Ficker's rights, that their trademark should be registered, that Ficker's should not, and that Ficker should be prevented from bringing further claims against the company regarding the Warzone trademark. The filing states Ficker had threatened to seek an injunction to prevent the corporation from using the name. Activision's filing also asks for the court to force Ficker to pay its attorneys fees and costs.

Ficker acknowledged he never expected to get his initial ask, but said "I figured I needed to ask for something higher than I what I wanted because I expected they'd negotiate down from there." "At the very least, I would like to be made whole," he said. "I spent about $60,000 on the domain name and legal fees, plus three years of my life into this brand and it hurts business to have to change the title."

Activision's filing argues that their Warzone game is distinct from Ficker's game on several fronts and that consumers are unlikely to confuse one for the other. They point out that their game is a first person shooter, has higher, more realistic production quality, and is marketed as part of the Call of Duty franchise. Their filing also notes that their game is available on consoles, whereas Ficker's is not, and that several other video games use "Warzone" as part of their title.

"I would be a little worried if Activision wins this one," Albert said. "Activision has a lot more money than some indie game developer, and oftentimes in trademark litigation, like lots of forms of litigation, it comes down to who can sustain it longer and who has more money."

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
unknown.png

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The fact Activision has "Billions" and was like "We'll give you 10K for the Domain" is so scummy. They're going to pay MORE than that with legal stuff.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
$10,000 counter offer? What a fucking joke.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I don't know shit about laws, specially USA ones, but I don't think he has much chance of winning against the lawyer army of activision. They must have checked if Warzone was available before settling on it right? They must have known it was already taken but still used it anyway.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if he was first then Activision should give him millions and change the name of their mode.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
warzone for Halo came first. Not sure how Microsoft doesn't have it
Probably didn't go for it because it wasn't a standalone game or anything, just a specific mode in the game, and since the game (and thus the mode) wasn't even a huge success (relatively) I think it just didn't matter for them.

But I also know jack shit so yeah

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Rename it to "Call of Warzone" or "Warzone Duty" to troll Activision.
These lawsuits are ridiculous. Similar to when Bethesda sued a game named "Scrolls". These are just common words, lol.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I don't know shit about laws, specially USA ones, but I don't think he has much chance of winning against the lawyer army of activision. They must have checked if Warzone was available before settling on it right? They must have known it was already taken but still used it anyway.

They likely didn't care.

I worked with someone in the distributed computing space that had a long existing trademark. LogMeIn decided they wanted to use the name for a distributed computing thing, so they bought a domain and started using it.

It took a chunk of legal fees and many hours to convince them that it wasn't worth it because he wouldn't roll over.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Is there any available way to crowdfund his legal efforts? Frankly I think a mass contribution for his defence against Activision and their absolutely disgusting behaviour would be so, so beautiful

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's not even that they're asking him to change the name of his game, it's that they're asking to retroactively steal the Trademark from him for the reason of...uh...they have more money, I guess?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good luck dude, Activision as always are scummy as fuck. litigation battles against large entities are a lot of hard work and most likely activision's strategy would be to outlast/out money you.

Is there any way around this? I also wouldnt mind supporting him via gofundme or patreon if this is set up. Hopefully more journalists pick this up , review copies be damned.

Oct 25, 2017
Rename it to "Call of Warzone" or "Warzone Duty" to troll Activision.
These lawsuits are ridiculous. Similar to when Bethesda sued a game named "Scrolls". These are just common words, lol.

What's funny now is that Scrolls (now Caller's Bane) was made by Mojang, who are now owned by Microsoft. Now Bethesda is owned by Microsoft.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any available way to crowdfund his legal efforts? Frankly I think a mass contribution for his defence against Activision and their absolutely disgusting behaviour would be so, so beautiful
They made a GoFundMe to cover legal fees. Not sure if I can link a GoFundMe here, but it's on the Warzone website.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

www.gofundme.com

Activision is suing Warzone, organized by Randy Ficker

Hello, my name is Randy, and I’m being sued by Activision for being an indie game developer. … Randy Ficker needs your support for Activision is suing Warzone

They made a GoFundMe to cover legal fees. Not sure if I can link a GoFundMe here, but it's on the Warzone website.

You can link to GoFundMe in situations like that, you just can't make a thread about them (In this case, it's just an additional aspect of the article listed.
Also, Era isn't responsible for anything you donate to.

Last edited:

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Am I misunderstanding something? The article is saying the opposite of the title. An indie dev is suing Activision for the use of Warzone, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

You can link to GoFundMe in situations like that, you just can't make a thread about them (In this case, it's just an additional aspect of the article listed.
Also, Era isn't responsible for anything you donate to.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Activision's offer was low but 0.25% of Warzone's profits wasn't a credible offer in the first place. If this ends up being settled it'll probably be with some kind of flat fee.

My guess is this will end in the indie developer adding an "s" to the end
Very unlikely. Can you think of any other trademark case that has ended that way?

They definitely would have checked for any registered trademarks. However, Ficker only applied for a trademark in October 2020, so his use of the name could have gone unnoticed by Activision until he opposed their own trademark application.

warzone for Halo came first. Not sure how Microsoft doesn't have it
A mark is something that you use to sell a product or service. Elements of a game that will be trademarked will typically include a name and logo and very little else. Mode names would almost never be trademarked unless they're also the name of the game or unless they're such a big part of the game that the game is selling itself specifically based on the mode name.

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Read the excerpted portion beginning with "Having failed to come to terms…".

Oh. I see. My bad. In that case I'm rooting against both of them and hopefully the case will end with both of their trademarks getting denied and both being allowed to continue doing what they're doing.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Making the little guy pay for their legal fees makes my blood boil. Hope Activision loses. The fact that they offered him 10k shows they knew he was in the right.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
This is the Warzone I always think about. But yeah, Acti-Bliz showing their asses for the umpteenth time.

maxresdefault.jpg

grand

Oct 25, 2017
The thread title is sorta misleading as it's the indie developer who started the legal battle with the C&D and now Activision is suing to protect their own usage of the mark after the two couldn't come to terms. It's an intriguing twist on the typical corporation vs indie trademark battle.

The courts probably won't grant exclusive use of the trademark to either party. But if they do decide between the two, I think Activision will prevail as no one is going to confuse Activision's usage of the mark with the original. The indie developer messed up by not bothering to protect their mark until after Activision popularized the term. Also, the indie developer has used Warlight 2, Warzone Classic and Warzone Idle as the titles of their free to play game, which are all derivatives from just "Warzone". So both parties already act like "Warzone" isn't an identifying mark by itself.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
$10,000 counter offer? What a fucking joke.

Bobby could literally give the guy 10 times that out of his own pocket and he'd not even notice it in anyway. All this is about is the power game to try and make sure when they want to do this shit again in future the little indie devs don't try to stop them. Fuck Activision with this shit.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
after having take multiple IP and entertainment law courses.

if you put ANYTHING into the stream of commerce and you intend to make ANY money off of it ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS register potential trademarks and copyrights (the latter isn't required) never rely on common law trademarks.

It's also probably advisable to hire a lawyer for the registration so it's done right and you have potential malpractice protections should they fuck up. it's not that expensive and will save you so much should a situation like this come up.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thread title is sorta misleading as it's the indie developer who started the legal battle with the C&D and now Activision is suing to protect their own usage of the mark after the two couldn't come to terms. It's an intriguing twist on the typical corporation vs indie trademark battle.

The courts probably won't grant exclusive use of the trademark to either party. But if they do decide between the two, I think Activision will prevail as no one is going to confuse Activision's usage of the mark with the original. The indie developer messed up by not bothering to protect their mark until after Activision popularized the term. Also, the indie developer has used Warlight 2, Warzone Classic and Warzone Idle as the titles of their free to play game, which are all derivatives from just "Warzone". So both parties already act like "Warzone" isn't an identifying mark by itself.
So can't trademark generic or merely discriptive terms. I don't see either NOT using it to clearly label a series with an identifying mark. Activision probably has a better secondary meaning claim too.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
GG should sue Activision then.

Yes I know that wasn't trade marked because it wasn't an independent game but just a game mode.