• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/18/...-hirshberg-is-leaving-in-march-after-8-years/
Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Call of Duty and Destiny publisher Activision Publishing, will leave his job after eight years in March.

Hirshberg just announced to his team that he is leaving, and Activision has confirmed the departure.

Hirshberg ran a big division of Activision Blizzard, and he reported to Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick. At Activision Publishing, Hirshberg was responsible for game series such as Call of Duty, Destiny, and Skylanders.

Those franchises are some of the biggest in gaming.

"Serving as Activision's CEO has been an honor and a thrill," said Hirshberg, in a statement. "This is an amazing company. One which routinely delivers epic experiences for our fans on a scale that no one else can. I have nothing but admiration for the incredible team I have had the privilege to lead. And I have nothing but appreciation for Bobby for giving me this transformational opportunity, and also for having the vision and conviction to champion a creative person for a leadership role on this scale."

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
I see two things happening here.

1. We get a great new CEO who is more consumer friendly.

2. They give us the Satan of gaming hell.

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
I think he had to go. I think he is the guy behind the mess of D1 & D2. He wanted a new IP but never had that much interest because CoD sold very well.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Good. When he took the job his big idea was to push micro transactions.

...hopefully this means they won't hire somebody who will push them harder.

And wow how time flies.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
He's been there for 8 years? That's around the time activision just became focused on as few franchises as possible. So maybe the new person would be open to allowing developers like raven to go back to making original/ their own stuff. A guy can dream can't he?

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Eh, he gave us Crash which is a great effort.

Activision will never change as long as Bobby "Beezelbub" Kotick is the CEO. Now that man is evil.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
well, coincidently, the third party relations, vice president position at SIE just opened up again...

https://venturebeat.com/2018/01/18/...nues-with-exit-of-third-party-relations-boss/

maybe related?
That would be quite the downgrade that's for sure.

I see two things happening here.

1. We get a great new CEO who is more consumer friendly.

2. They give us the Satan of gaming hell.
If they get someone who isn't as aggressive they'll fire him within the first 12 months.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Hopefully whoever comes next directs Treyarch to drop the season pass. Everyone else is dropping them. Even EA. Time to join the present, Activision.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People want a CEO with a different mentality but for a company like Activision with what they do, it's pretty stupid. It's pretty obvious that it's going to be the same.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
People want a CEO with a different mentality but for a company like Activision with what they do, it's pretty stupid. It's pretty obvious that it's going to be the same.

I mean, sure probably. But when he took the job, his primary plan was to push micro transactions. And that's not based on Activision's behavior or some theory I'm merely assuming - they were words that came out of his mouth at his farewell party from his previous job.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Not wanting to be CEO of a major gaming company when Anti microtransaction laws start to take effect is smart. Hopefully the next boss is more open to new IPs and creative concepts.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea if he has anything to do with he mismanagement of the Destiny franchise, but I can't imagine new blood being any worse than this guy.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
As far as company leads go he seemed quite down-to-earth (though he was a marketing guy, so I guess that's to be expected), and he was one of the people behind Kevin Butler, so good luck to him.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man was damn good at his job.

Whoever Activision puts in next those are some big shoes to fill

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Activision publishing isn't strong right now. They lost(?) a ton of licenses like the Bond and Spider-Man licenses, and the last new IP they introduced was Destiny. They need something new and interesting and for God's sake consumer friendly. New CEO needs to have the IP push that John Riccitiello had a decade ago.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest news here for me is that Bobby Kotick is no longer CEO. When did this happen?

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new CEO cancels Destiny 3. Would never happen but I wonder if it would be considered.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Activision publishing isn't strong right now. They lost(?) a ton of licenses like the Bond and Spider-Man licenses, and the last new IP they introduced was Destiny. They need something new and interesting and for God's sake consumer friendly. New CEO needs to have the IP push that John Riccitiello had a decade ago.

They do like three games per year now and still are the biggest one. I wouldn't call that they're not strong when CODWII and Destiny were the biggest sellers of 2017 with Crash also being a big success.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
They do like three games per year now and still are the biggest one. I wouldn't call that they're not strong when CODWII and Destiny were the biggest sellers of 2017 with Crash also being a big success.

Despite the strong WW2 sales, CoD isn't the powerhouse it once was and Destiny 2 is an unmitigated disaster for the franchise. Destiny 2 probably chose a really awful time to disappoint fans with Anthem just a few months away, as well as Halo and Borderlands 3 expecting to release before the Destiny 2 content cycle ends.

I just think a healthy approach to Activision publishing would be to branch out and invest in some new titles.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Despite the strong WW2 sales, CoD isn't the powerhouse it once was and Destiny 2 is an unmitigated disaster for the franchise. Destiny 2 probably chose a really awful time to disappoint fans with Anthem just a few months away, as well as Halo and Borderlands 3 expecting to release before the Destiny 2 content cycle ends.

I just think a healthy approach to Activision publishing would be to branch out and invest in some new titles.

Damn, I really wasn't aware of Destiny 2 doing bad.