• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yuck. Yeah thats taking it way too far lol. I just want an in game map with a player position mark. Could use fog of war for unexplored areas for all I care.

But for real now, there is a map you can pull up. It just shows the different areas you visited and can't be used for navigation. It's there, but nothing really useful. You still have to navigate "blindly" like in Soulsborne games

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
It always amazes me how people overeact to this review copy thing. Seriously you'll get your reviews and if you have reservations you should have waited anyways

Dec 28, 2017
First thanks God because those youtuber influencers are complete joke. Look at metro on consoles. Nobody said anything about how bad the game behaves on consoles. This mask publicity stunt needs to end. Because of this influencers I spent money on trash games. I hope in the future all game companies do the same thing.

Last edited:

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
games often have technical issues that aren't apparent until release

then you just wait like 2 days? Honestly the general public almost always finds those issues before reviewers anyway (plus reviewers are almost 1000% of the time playing a different build anyway if they're playing pre-release so it's all moot)

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't need a reviewer to tell me that I'm going to like this game. It makes zero difference.

They earned it's reputation.

Same deal for me if it was a Retro , Ueda or Mikami game, I can blindly buy it, because even if it is not as good as their previous games, you can bet there some parts of it will be stelar and above 90% of the stuff we have.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
pYpAfgh.jpg.ed4dc2ae592ba1b722ea8da83fdf1676.jpg
This is some cosmic mistake. I'm always confused why an auto map should be present unless it's some game set in a modern/future world with technology that allows it.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not worried in the slightest. Despite Dark Souls 2, this isn't that. Haven't preordered yet, but I'm going to by the end of next week.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem with that as we have seen multiple people/outlets abuse this. They either don't follow the NDAs or they use burner accounts to get footage out there.

On the other hand, NDA's aren't always handled either.
But still, no reason to be anti-consumer. How is it any different than everything being spoiled withing hours of release before most even have a chance to play from data miners? Besides shut was already leaked, if this is the reason it is still unacceptable.

souppboy

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I wish there were review copies for are performance. I want to know the console framerate before I just buy PC.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks and there's no use defending it.

Sekiro is my most anticipated game of the year and I'm buying it no matter what. Regardless, this is not something I support.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yuck. Yeah thats taking it way too far lol. I just want an in game map with a player position mark. Could use fog of war for unexplored areas for all I care. Or go etrian odyssey style and let me make my own permanent pins. I'm not down with memorizing all these shortcuts. Dark souls burned me out on that shit and I said never again
Getting around the environments, memorizing paths based on landmarks and enemy positioning is a core part of these games. There is a reason there's no map.

And if you're fine with fog of war then your problem is not being able to navigate in parts you've already explored? How does that work?

electroaffe

Oct 28, 2017
Berlin
Dark Souls 2 was made without Miyazaki basically and while the Dark Souls (1) team was developing Bloodborne. Sekiro on the other hand is made by the same team as Bloodborne incl. Miyazaki.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol the amount of defending and downplaying that goes on when it's something made by someone people like.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The reason Activision is doing this it to normalize the lack of day one reviews. If some great games release wthout day 1 reviews, it'll raise less warning flags in the future even if the next game they do this with is shit

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017
They kept showing the same boring area over and over again. Wouldn't surprise me if the game is light on content. Seems to be a souls-lite anyways.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I
Getting around the environments, memorizing paths based on landmarks and enemy positioning is a core part of these games. There is a reason there's no map.

And if you're fine with fog of war then your problem is not being able to navigate in parts you've already explored? How does that work?

I'm fine with fog of war in places I haven't been, not places I already have lol. I lived demons souls and was burned out by the time I made it through dark souls so I think I'm just burned out with feeling like I'm fumbling around in the dark in regards to places I've already been. Just seems like an insane decision to me.

I think the real issue may be I'm just over the souls games is all, and thats fine.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hate the look of this, but maybe more handholding would get more people to play From Software games. As long as you can turn options off, there's never any harm in adding more accessibility.
Except the harm that comes from getting an entirely different experience than what they intended players to have and the fact that souls games already sell incredibly well, with the large draw of them being they're uncompromising vision.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
That's fine, just means I won't be sending them an early review copy of my $60.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol the amount of defending and downplaying that goes on when it's something made by someone people like.
I'm speaking for myself here, but all I stated is that From Software's output has consistently pleased me and all that was shown from Sekiro indicates the streak will continue. And if it's a game I'm bent on getting, no reviews will change that anyway.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I

I'm fine with fog of war in places I haven't been, not places I already have lol. I lived demons souls and was burned out by the time I made it through dark souls so I think I'm just burned out with feeling like I'm fumbling around in the dark in regards to places I've already been. Just seems like an insane decision to me.

I think the real issue may be I'm just over the souls games is all, and thats fine.
That's what I was saying, since you're ok with fog of war you need a map for parts you've aleady been through? Again, these games aren't that confusing. Dark Souls 1 indeed had literally dark areas that were hard to traverse, but also were not really meant to be traversed multiple times outside of dying and having to backtrack. And if you can't memorize something you've been at 5 minutes earlier I really can't help you, nor can the devs of the game. Sekiro isn't dark for the most part so that should be no concern.

Bloodborne is masterclass leveldesign and like, 99% of the people who played it would agree with that. There's nothing insane about it outside of how insanely well crafted it is. Again, the shortcut from the Lost Woods to the clinic from the very start of the game alone is better leveldesign than pretty much anything else in gaming.

I wouldn't write Sekiro off just like that, but I'm not you.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Except the harm that comes from getting an entirely different experience than what they intended players to have and the fact that souls games already sell incredibly well, with the large draw of them being they're uncompromising vision.

True, but maybe that's the experience some players want. Again, it might not be for me or you, but adding a minimal and quest objectives could be what makes a game more accessible and enjoyable to someone else. Same with an easier difficulty setting.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
knowing anything about =/= not having a metacritic score to point to. With Sekiro we have tons of footage and information, lots of previews, and the developer has made a bunch of similar games. If you can't tell if you want it yet............ that's on you

All of this released by the publisher, they won't show any issues

Oct 25, 2017
True, but maybe that's the experience some players want. Again, it might not be for me or you, but adding a minimal and quest objectives could be what makes a game more accessible and enjoyable to someone else. Same with an easier difficulty setting.

That's not the game Miyazaki wants to make. Going for the largest audience possible is what makes many AAA games stale and similar. From's approach makes their games stand out from the crowd.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
All of this released by the publisher, they won't show any issues

Hate to tell you this buddy.................................. neither will a lot of reviewers.

Not to defend the practice or anything, but if you can't wait 12 hours to make sure the game isn't completely broken out of the box for other users, maybe you have bigger problems than not being able to read reviews.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a reason for there only existing one difficulty. There is a reason for no map existing. It's the devs vision of their game. Maybe they like everyone experiencing the game in the same way, which surely helped to build a strong community when the franchise started to increase in popularity.

Maybe they know that their games systems are heavily intertwined with the challenge. If there was no challenge you would never think about whether to push through to the next bonfire/lantern or go back. The exploration would lose any bit of tension. The whole game would lose some of it's opressive atmosphere.

It's an integral part of their design philosophy of making the player fail, learn and overcome obstacles. People who don't like to fail a bit in games just should play something else instead of demanding that the game was tailored to them.

Not every game has to be made for everybody. If I suck at FPS games, I don't go around demanding aim assist from the devs, I just accept that it's not really my thing and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.