• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to wait to buy the game only because Activision publishing had me weary and the overall length was something I'd want to know beforehand. Now I know I'm good to wait on the reviews post-release. I'd be interested in hearing their reasoning, because the early previews were mostly positive and that Elajjaz Twitch stream from the other day seemed to make people more enthused about the game.

Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
Crackpot Theory: This will be the hardest, most technical & brutal From game by a mile and they don't want to risk turning off non-Souls game diehards who might be in for stealth action ninja game, otherwise.

Wouldn't be shocked to see some reviewers struggle mightily with this in the absence of summoning, over leveling, cheesing OP weapons & builds etc..

The VaatiVidya preview video straight up said this game removed pretty much every crutch in the other SoulsBourne games and is much more reliant on skill, so it wouldn't surprise me if Activision is a Little worried about how critics will respond to the game.

Every preview vid from sources I trust said the game played extremely well, so I am personally not that worried.

Deleted member 43077

User requested account closure
Banned
May 9, 2018
Easier to avoid spoiler then. Was gonna be a day 0 buy from me anyways. For those that need reviews can just wait tho it's not like you HAVE to play the game as it unlocks in your library.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
While I'm a fan of DS2, that Metacritic seems awfully high.

-Mostly poor bosses
-Bullshit areas like pre-patch Shrine of Amana
-Slightly worse controls/mechanics.
-Gotta level adaptability just to have i-frames. Did reviewers know about adaptability at the time? Did anyone?

This is, of course, going with the perspective of Dark Souls 2 at launch. It's gotten some great DLC since then.
While I agree it isn't the strongest souls game, it's still a bloody good game on its own.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
if there is any dev where you should be confident it is From Software...don´t even know why people need reviews for this game, to spoil themselves?

I mean, I'm a massive DS2 fan, but the whole last minute lighting change on that, along with a good majority of their games (the non Soulsborne stuff) being either super obscure in terms of design, very low budget, and very niche, or just Steel Battalion Heavy Armor, doesn't put From Software in the 'developer you should be confident in' category for me.

I'm looking forward to it, and I'm in for day 1, but I don't blame people for being wary.

Oct 30, 2017
Sekiro is a game that will be bought by fans regardless of scores. I hope it attracts newcomers too but the Soulsborne fandom have signed their name in blood.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't this more likely to be FromSoft mandated than Activision since I think Acti are only publishing in the west?

Idk tho. No review copies is always pretty shitty

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Tbf, the only time I pay attention to reviews is when I want to trash a game like ME:A, Anthem, or Fallout 76. Will probably be Day 1, depending on how Division is treating me

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I mean, I'm a massive DS2 fan, but the whole last minute lighting change on that, along with a good majority of their games (the non Soulsborne stuff) being either super obscure in terms of design, very low budget, and very niche, or just Steel Battalion Heavy Armor, doesn't put From Software in the 'developer you should be confident in' category for me.

I'm looking forward to it, and I'm in for day 1, but I don't blame people for being wary.

you can look at PS4 previews just now, there won´t be some last minute changes this time

Tbf, the only time I pay attention to reviews is when I want to trash a game like ME:A, Anthem, or Fallout 76. Will probably be Day 1, depending on how Division is treating me

+1 for honesty

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I very rarely care about reviews, Sekiro certainly is no exception. Getting it day 1 anyways.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Last 5 games I've pre-ordered: Bloodborne, DOOM, God of War, RE2make, Sekiro

It's not hard to tell if a game is gonna be really good...

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
I don't know if it is reasonable to believe a developer had any saying in a game being reviewed when there's a big publisher paying for the game and its marketing.

Also we don't have Japanese review sites mentioning they won't get pre-release review codes, do we?

i-hate-u

Oct 25, 2017
We could say the same for Platinum. Then TMNT happened. Oh and who was publishing this one again?

No room for denial here, it happened once, it will happen again.

Comparing From to Platinum Games
giphy.gif

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Will wait how this turns out. People bring up Doom 2016, but I think it was a rather big exception tbh.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It was a day one buy for me, but delayed reviews always worry me. Sometimes it's just publisher quirkiness and sometimes they're trying to hide a bad game. There has been no indication that it's a bad game, but the review delay certainly isn't filling me with confidence about the game.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
What a bummer, but anyways this is a From Software game, and all the previews have been stellar at this point so there is nothing to worry about for me.

Ghostwalker

Oct 30, 2017
I have found that when their is no review copy to me is always a sign that somebody high up lack faith in their product. It not necessarily a bad game as Doom shows but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

As other are willing to charge in and buy day one I will let them spend their money and find out if the game is good or bad.

Jan 9, 2018
Is as simple as wait a few days for reviews and then decide. The game looks good, but play it one week later won't make a big difference in my enjoyment of the game, and if Activision gets away with this shitty behavior just because we all expect this game to be great, they will do the same with other games that might be much dodgier.

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
After Metro's review of DMCV I am not sure they should be trusted to review any other games! Perhaps Activision of vetting who they send review copies out to prevent click bait reviews.

OP
OP
Masagiwa

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Oh interesting. The game comes out on the 22nd right? Is Activision publishing the game in Europe? Makes sense they would only give review copies to those in NA if thats the only region they are publishing the game in.

Activision is publishing it everywhere except Japan and some Asian territories.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well they try their hardest hiding the twist about the game and the secret enemies werent allowed to be shown too. I guess it's really about spoilers too.
Complete BS. They could always lock out certain areas, bosses, and story elements if they wanted. They do it all the time for demos, they could do the same. Regardless, this is highly anti-consumer behavior no matter the game, dev, or publisher.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably to protect from spoilers, you know there is going to be some yokai realm twist or something. Everyone knows what they're getting from a From game...

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
Nothing you typed justifies why this is "good". It's only negative for consumers.

Just like if they never allowed any hands on preview events before release. Which they didn't but for some here I expect it'd be the same response of its "good" just because you like the dev and anticipate the game.

I should have worded that better. What I meant to say is that it personally doesn't affect me because I have my mind already set on getting the game but I totally see why it would not be good for people that need reviews to decide on purchasing the game or not on day 1.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Spoilers is my safe bet. If the leaks where true, they want to keep in a complete secret the second half of the game.

Lol, you can't compare the hit and miss who's Platinum with the perfection of the actual Fromsoftware.

Status
Not open for further replies.