• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
There have been some mentions of this in the preview thread and I thought I create a separate thread for it.

I'm basing this off the information we have received from some of the previews.

Metro.co.uk
Before we attended the preview event for Sekiro we were warned that review copies would not be available before release at the end of this month. That's just about the worst warning sign you can get for a game, but we feel confident in saying that, in this case at least, it's just the publisher being weird – and not a comment on the game's quality. We suspected that would be the case after having played it briefly at Gamescom last year, but even without that experience knowing that this is by the creator of Dark Souls is guarantee enough of something interesting.

VG247
Activision, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice's publisher, has confirmed that it won't be sending out review code for the From Software game before the official release. In other words, press will be getting access around the same time as consumers.

The publisher confirmed this to VG247 at a recent preview event, and the same has been relayed to other publications. Interestingly, it seems Activision also won't be sending out early code to YouTubers.

I don't know if this will apply to all outlets & content creators but wanted to generally hear peoples thoughts and why you think this is bad or a good thing. I know there are plenty of reviewers on this board and they can probably share some interesting information.

Sources: Metro | VG247

Update (March 16th)

Some reviewers have been playing the game.
At least two of the people on PSNProfiles who have it are reviewers. One of them being Patrick Klepek. Evidently they sent them out to some people.

We are identifying them because a lot of reviewers list either their real name or their site in their bio if you click on them.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Confirmed omega kusoge bomba.

Or just spoiler / data mining prevention?

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No early review copies is always a bad thing for customers. But then again, it's a From Software game so there's no reason to worry. Maybe there will be performance issue as usual but that's it.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
dVDJiez.gif

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I won't be getting it launch day then. I feel Sekiro could be something special but I'm not confident to spend full price on Day one.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Probably because Fromsoft doesn't want spoilers in the wild? Game looks incredible so I can't think of any other reason they would do this.
Also yeah if anyone has earned benefit of doubt, atleast for me, it would be fromsoft.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a typical Activision thing? I would think if they're going to have confidence in one game they publish this year it would be Sekiro.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Already said it in the other thread but as much as I love From and I'm sure the game will be really good and I'll be there day 1, it's not a good look for them and I think it's the wrong decision. I say this with every dev and From shouldn't be different as much as I love them.

If it's Activision doing the point still stands, but please take out the love talking from my post lol

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I feel Sekiro could be something special but I'm not confident to spend full price on Day one.

if there is any dev where you should be confident it is From Software...don´t even know why people need reviews for this game, to spoil themselves?

ffs, this review culture is annoying, just wait a few days then and let other people go in without being spoiled

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is potentially useless if they can't absolutely control who breaks the release date or not.

But I suppose they can always try.

Deleted member 2834

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buying games day 1 is completely and utterly pointless anyway. This might help you guys make better decisions if anything.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
if there is any dev where you should be confident it is From Software...don´t even know why people need reviews for this game, to spoil themselves?

ffs, this review culture is annoying, just wait a few days then and let other people go in without being spoiled

Well I personally didn't get on well enough with DS2+3 and it's shifting pretty far away the typical structure. Not everyone is as in love with From Software as some people are. Every developer has the potential to dissapoint.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Yes this terrible "review culture" because god forbid customers be informed about a product before they spend money on it. What a terrible thing to want.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I remember rumors about Sekiro being supershort with only six bosses or something like that, maybe it's really true and they are afraid of the backlash since it's a full price game?

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You can't just add "culture" after something you don't like lmao.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Spoilers tend to come more from leaked early copies (there will be) than from reviews.

At the end, all games, like movies and other media, get reviewed, and usually get reviewed early than release.

I don't need any review for this game, I'll be there day 1 no matter what, but I can recognize it's not a good move to do.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Well usually FROM Software as shown by DARK souls 3 had to give reviewers watered down versions for the belief that they aren't judged of making too hard of a game so I get it with this. I just hope theres enough content that's my only concern.

There's no online play with this so the need to get this Day One isn't as huge as the other games where you can invade, join, leave notes etc. while the iron is hot.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
They need to save a few $$$ on review copied as Bobby is saving up for a new golden toilet seat to shit into every morning.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God forbid you just wait for reviews then? It's not an eternal embargo.

Early review copies aren't for customers but for the reviewers to have enough time to play the game and properly assess them. We've seen this backfire on companies like Bethesda where outlets had to rush reviews for Prey.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are going to be some half arsed reviews for this, then again some outlets have absurdly low requirements for how much a reviewer has to actually play before putting their thoughts into words so might not make any difference.

Plus editors at the big outlets are likely just going to manipulate whatever their reviewers write anyway for those clicks.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
It's obviously not a good thing for consumers but that doesn't mean anything for the game's quality. The same thing happend for DOOM and everyone thought it was going to suck and we ended up with the best shooter this generation.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
God forbid you just wait for reviews then? It's not an eternal embargo.
You know that you don't really need to buy the game on day one if you're not confident in its quality.

If you want to rely on reviews to make an informed purchase, you can.

Sure, that's not really the point though? Not sending out review copies serves no purpose other than stifling information about your game prerelease so that those who are interested in the game and do want it day one are going in without the ability to actually make a real value judgement on it. I do agree people shouldn't buy things day one in general though.

Yes in this case I'm sure From hasnt suddenly made their first bad game in years or anything but it's a bad look regardless and a worse one if the game does have issues.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Yes this terrible "review culture" because god forbid customers be informed about a product before they spend money on it. What a terrible thing to want.

lol, after Breath of the Wild reviews i wouldn´t trust any reviewer anyways because that game was terrible and got crtitical acclaim. when you play long enough you don´t give a shit anymore about reviews. i´ve played games deemed terrible that were awesome and i´ve played games that were hailed as the second coming of jesus and they just sucked.

did you guys see the marketing? they held the game very close to their chest till yesterday, 14 days before release. they don´t want to let people get spoiled, not after the Bamco disaster of releasing the japanese DSIII three weeks earlier than the western version.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SUPPOSED TO THINK ABOUT SOMETHING WITHOUT A METACRITIC SCORE????

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I never really give pubs the benefit of the doubt with this sort of thing. I'd be surprised if the game reviewed badly but still makes me suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.