• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
There's no locker tight and smelly enough for the people who are harassing voice actors on twitter because Vic is a creep.

Fire these people into the sun.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thought that entered my head, but in the new DB movie Broly actually attacked someone for skeeving on a girl.
Broly respects women more than Vic.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Funny thought that entered my head, but in the new DB movie Broly actually attacked someone for skeeving on a girl.
Broly respects women more than Vic.

New Broly's too kindhearted for Vic. He'll probably end up being the kind of character Vic will lambast as he inevitably tries to cater towards the alt-right for a shred of positive reinforcement (See: Louis CK).

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New Broly's too kindhearted for Vic. He'll probably end up being the kind of character Vic will lambast as he inevitably tries to cater towards the alt-right for a shred of positive reinforcement (See: Louis CK).

It's going to be really meta if OG Broly keeps Vic's voice while Super Broly has a new VA for FighterZ.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's enough shithead anime fans for Vic to get a fanbase, but the companies won't support it so he won't be getting voice roles.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's a wonder he even has so many supporters with all the complaints about how only true fans watch subs.

(probably because they don't actually give a shit about his shows)

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
It's a wonder he even has so many supporters with all the complaints about how only true fans watch subs.

The weird reality of anime conventions is that, despite what online anime discourse tends to suggest, dub VAs tend to pull in way bigger audiences and autograph queues than all but a handful of Japanese creators or voice actors - I've been to some hilariously empty panels from some fairly major Japanese industry figures over the years.

Presumably there's just this whole trench of fandom that doesn't really intersect with what a lot of people consider the primary vectors for anime discussion.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it was always obvious that the majority of people who watch anime prefer to watch it dubbed.

I'm sure it's not even close to a contest.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
The weird reality of anime conventions is that, despite what online anime discourse tends to suggest, dub VAs tend to pull in way bigger audiences and autograph queues than all but a handful of Japanese creators or voice actors - I've been to some hilariously empty panels from some fairly major Japanese industry figures over the years.

Presumably there's just this whole trench of fandom that doesn't really intersect with what a lot of people consider the primary vectors for anime discussion.

This separation of demographics is very real. My group of friends are in the section that only cares about Japanese guests and will spend big money on them (around $300-500 per person across the concerts at AX last year) plus a few hundred more on concert merchandise. But we're also only a few hundred people across the entire North America and we basically know each other. And that's not including the section of the group that makes regular trips to Japan. I think a lot of the group likely feels more kinship with Asian anime fans than they do with North American anime fans.

We generally look at dub actors like Vic as much needed magnets that draw away younger/more casual fans away from the guests we're interested in. But if a con only has dub actors/no big name japanese guests/singers, a lot of us will completely ignore the convention's existence.

Last edited:

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Yup. If he truly is redeemable, what he needs right now is help, not a rabid fan base attacking his accusers.."

Unfortunately, as is the case with any person with an adherent following, I feel like many of his 'hard-core' fans are blinded by devotion, regardless of what he's done. If they didn't care about his actions then, they're probably in it to win it now. Even worse is the handful associating with, ahem, the anti-SJW, political correctness obliteration squad. Plus, there's just a large and very vocal Qrow following.

At the end of the day, unremitting defenders you can't reason with come with the territory; the best one can do is stand by the victims and take people like Vic out of the ring while safely circumventing any harmful fallout. People need to acknowledge that consequences can await horrid behavior and attitudes, that they should be kicked for it, and that what may have been enabled before has no tomorrow.

Real Talk, Vic Mignona was one of my favorite anime VA's.

The english dub of FMA:B is iconic to me. It's my favorite anime period. And I've been a fan of his work for years. When RWBY announced they got him to be a voice, I was genuinely blown away considering the fact it was a show made by such a small team and they were getting someone high profile like him.

A friend of mine told me there were rumors back in 2016 that Vic was a scumbag. I didn't want to believe it, but the alarming amount of accounts regarding his behavior can't be ignored. I have been following this thread, but haven't really been active in it because I don't want to believe someone whose career I genuinely enjoyed was capable of such things... but just seeing how much is there has been both eye opening and incredibly disheartening.
Yeah, I was hesitant to post a similar thing because of how petty it sounds in the long run....but I've got an unopened Blu Ray collection of FMA:B on my shelf and....I don't know if I can get back to it now.

No, I don't want to watch it in Japanese: the English dub is one of Funi's best and everyone really poured their hearts into it (even Vic). It's not like I can't turn off my brain and just watch stuff in fictional isolation, but...it's a little hard to do that right now.

Similarly, I'm hoping Broly gets re-dubbed when the movie hits home video. That one wouldn't be as big a loss since 90% of his dialogue is just rage screaming anyway.

But man, Edward Elric....

Automatically retro-tainting what we hold precious sure is a magpie on the eye. I watched FMA subbed but then went on to the dub later, actually, but while Ed may never be the same after this for many, everyone loved Ed for many reasons. In time it may become easier to hold onto those in its own respect, it may not. Being upset is unfortunately but inevitably a valid response. Yet still, the series and its main hero will always be great for where they accomplished and not where they faltered, and that is no vice.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
This separation of demographics is very real. My group of friends are in the section that only cares about Japanese guests and will spend big money on them (around $300-500 per person across the concerts at AX last year) plus a few hundred more on concert merchandise. But we're also only a few hundred people across the entire North America and we basically know each other. And that's not including the section of the group that makes regular trips to Japan. I think a lot of the group likely feels more kinship with Asian anime fans than they do with North American anime fans.

We generally look at dub actors like Vic as much needed magnets that draw away younger/more casual fans away from the guests we're interested in. But if a con only has dub actors/no big name japanese guests/singers, a lot of us will completely ignore the convention's existence.

Oh, yeah, I totally feel you on this - I'm pretty sure we are probably in some of the same Line groups about this stuff (I think I've somehow done VIP at every single AWM show on US soil despite being from Europe www)

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be really meta if OG Broly keeps Vic's voice while Super Broly has a new VA for FighterZ.
I'm legit curious as to how Bamco/Funi are gonna handle that. If DBS Broly is meant to launch this year then his VA has almost certainly been recorded already (the VA for the S1 DLC was recorded in tandem with the launch roster according to sources) so I wonder if they'll re-record it to avoid controversy or just try sneaking it in under the radar and hope that no one notices or cares.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit curious as to how Bamco/Funi are gonna handle that. If DBS Broly is meant to launch this year then his VA has almost certainly been recorded already (the VA for the S1 DLC was recorded in tandem with the launch roster according to sources) so I wonder if they'll re-record it to avoid controversy or just try sneaking it in under the radar and hope that no one notices or cares.
It wouldn't be to costly to rerecord with a new VA and they certainly have the time to do so.
Releasing Broly voiced by Vic in June-ish would be pretty bad optics.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to dismiss the victims by talking about this, because lets be clear, the important part of this story isn't broly more so the people vic has hurt. My heart goes out to the victims and I believe them and I hope vic's creepy seemingly socieopathic ass can stay far away from cons and VA work

It wouldn't be to costly to rerecord with a new VA and they certainly have the time to do so.
Releasing Broly voiced by Vic in June-ish would be pretty bad optics.

Who do you think should replace him

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to dismiss the victims by talking about this, because lets be clear, the important part of this story isn't broly more so the people vic has hurt. My heart goes out to the victims and I believe them and I hope vic's creepy seemingly socieopathic ass can stay far away from cons and VA work

I don't really follow VAs close enough to have many suggestions.
Ian Sinclair might work, he has some surprising range.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

If they're cool with double-dipping on VAs I think that Matt Mercer (Hit) plays the "gentle giant" archetype really well and has a great yelling voice to boot.

If they wanted to bring in talent from outside of their current pool, then Grant George would fit the bill. His voice is a good middle ground between kind and intimidating.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan

Judging by the accuracy of that Kip Mangina video, Sean Schemmel would certainly work!

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If they're cool with double-dipping on VAs I think that Matt Mercer (Hit) plays the "gentle giant" archetype really well and has a great yelling voice to boot.

If they wanted to bring in talent from outside of their current pool, then Grant George would fit the bill. His voice is a good middle ground between kind and intimidating.
I was thinking matt. But honestly I want them to go deeper with broly's voice? I know they wont because, especially now they want the saiyans despite being 40+ and fathers of multiple children , want them to look super youthful even more youthful than before. But it would be interesting if they went with someone who could do a really low sort of growl for the gentle giant voice. I think it would fit the sort of barbarian look broly has going

I googled Grant George and I have two things

1) Why does he look like Not-Ben affleck

2) He sounds like one of those OG voice actors, like those really old ones. A lot of the clips I saw of him were from old shows too

Judging by the accuracy of that Kip Mangina video, Sean Schemmel would certainly work!
That video is several years old , its weird. I wonder how many vidoes like that of them trying to communicate VIC is kind of an asshole, well not kind of.

I'm sure there were countless victims talking about him too, I'm sorry I didn't see you all

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I can attest to this, however it's mixed for my local anime convention.

I've been attending Otakon non-stop since 2001 and I've seen large groups of people excited about the English dub guests who are invited to Otakon, and there's large groups of people excited about the Japanese/Korean/Asian guests that Otakon invites.

I personally know people who only goes to Otakon just for the Japanese/Korean/Asian guests, they completely ignore the English dub guests.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
That video is several years old , its weird. I wonder how many vidoes like that of them trying to communicate VIC is kind of an asshole, well not kind of.

Ghost Stories was previously mentioned. Which reminds me. I had mentioned previously that aside from the episode where they call out Vic by name there's also the episode where he plays an evil spirit that captures young women, set them up to be hanged while painting their portrait and then killing them. The thing is, I had mentioned this before Monica had come forward and well, the episode had him preying on Monica's character which looks SO MUCH WORSE now.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

In fairness there are probably quite a few people who would love to talk to the Japanese guests but don't speak a word of Japanese, and are concerned about the language barrier creating confusion or embarrassment.

Oct 28, 2017
Sharing this from a poster on Kanzenshuu (I don't advise anyone to read much of the rest of that thread).
TVfan721 said:
So you might remember in 2014, Vic was announced as being part of the cast for Free! There was a lot of backlash against it due to him being supposedly homophobic and a petition was made which Vic addressed in a panel somewhere in November 2014. One of the people who signed the petition posted an apology video for Vic shortly after which got a lot of attention (and Vic himself commented on)

Well that guy deleted that apology video from 2014 today and has a posted a new video addressing everything. This video says a lot about Vic behind the scenes...
The guy is an aspiring voice actor. He was blacklisted from the industry for 3 years because of Vic.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Ooooh, so there is potential that he gets booted from Funi too. Good to know, thanks!
Funi probably have to be quite careful depending on what contracts they have with him. Simply tearing up the contracts and giving him the boot could put them in a situation where Vic can sue them (and quite probably win) and end up getting more money than he otherwise would have. Funimation giving him a big payout, even on the end of a lawsuit, isn't good optics for them.

I suspect they'll follow an approach of quietly dropping him, paying whatever bare minimum they can to satisfy contracts (still not a great look to be paying him, but probably a better look than paying him significantly higher amounts), and then have nothing more to do with him.
I doubt they'll re-dub anything he's been in, including the Broly movie, but I certainly doubt they'll be using him going forward and will instead just re-cast any existing/ongoing roles.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funi probably have to be quite careful depending on what contracts they have with him. Simply tearing up the contracts and giving him the boot could put them in a situation where Vic can sue them (and quite probably win) and end up getting more money than he otherwise would have. Funimation giving him a big payout, even on the end of a lawsuit, isn't good optics for them.

I suspect they'll follow an approach of quietly dropping him, paying whatever bare minimum they can to satisfy contracts (still not a great look to be paying him, but probably a better look than paying him significantly higher amounts), and then have nothing more to do with him.
I doubt they'll re-dub anything he's been in, including the Broly movie, but I certainly doubt they'll be using him going forward and will instead just re-cast any existing/ongoing roles.
Texas is one of those at work states( I'm probably saying it wrong but basically they can fire him for any reason besides the obvious ones (like gender/etc)) and they are non union. They can literally drop him. (Aka the downside of being non union)

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Texas is one of those at work states( I'm probably saying it wrong but basically they can fire him for any reason besides the obvious ones (like gender/etc)) and they are non union. They can literally drop him. (Aka the downside of being non union)
Even in an at work state would it not depend on the specific terms of the written contract? So if a contract says "If we drop you for reasons other than X, Y and Z we will pay you what you would have been owed if we hadn't dropped you" could that person not then sue for breach of contract if they didn't get their payout?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't seem like it was posted but a few days ago Kaiser of TFS fame chimed in:

There's no new revelations but good to hear more talking about this. :)

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was hardly in doubt where Scott and many at TFS would've stood on this issue, but good to see them put out support regardless.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone give the gist of what Richard Ian Cox said? The tweet(s) no longer shows up.
More or less saying that to people who think that sexual assault has to be proven in a court of law to be true, that he should drop kick them in the face and tell them to prove it in a court of law or else it never happened.
You know, telling them their logic is flawed as fuck. Fuck its like nobody has ever heard of testimony being actual goddamned evidence.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More or less saying that to people who think that sexual assault has to be proven in a court of law to be true, that he should drop kick them in the face and tell them to prove it in a court of law or else it never happened.
You know, telling them their logic is flawed as fuck. Fuck its like nobody has ever heard of testimony being actual goddamned evidence.
Kick them in the balls, actually.

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for your youtube algorithm ^(@ rika) If you actually had to watch those.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They probably still have a contract with Vic for FighterZ, but I'd expect him to be recast whenever Super comes back. If there is no contact, Funimation may have enough time to swap him out before Canon Broly is released.

Over at VIZ, they're probably close to done with the JoJo Part 4 dub internally. Unless VIZ dubs Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe for the Blu-Ray release, the most likely scenario would be to have Vic wrap up whatever lines he has left for Rohan & wash their hands clean of him. I'd prefer him to at least be recast for said Blu-Ray release, but I'd imagine that contract are in play.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

Ahh, thank you. I had a discussion where my SO (who I don't think has seen the extent of accusations) said it should be taken to court and it's like... pretty naive to think courts solve everything. Not to mention a lot of the accusations aren't things that are prosecutable and are him saying or doing douchy things to coworkers, staff at cons, etc. That more falls on the respective company's HR and PR divisions to figure out, which is why he's rightfully getting dropped from a lot of stuff.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, like, the first video that came up when I clicked on his channel was him and a friend...vlogging themselves chasing street crime, for like an hour, in full tactical gear. And not like overtly "lol look at me cosplay!", But actually taking themselves quite seriously.

Just, y'know, wow...

Deleted member 22649

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
tbh they don't need more eyes, and I really suggest we stop posting such vids. Guarantee there are people monitoring the thread who would agree with said videos so posting them helps no one we want to help, really. But it's something alright...

I agree. If you don't think something should be spread to other people, why spread it to other people?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't Funi work on a per project basis, not larger contracts?
And if there is a larger contract the fact that he sexually assaulted at least one VA that works with Funi is grounds to fire him.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I do agree that posting the videos really helps no one, because almost no one is going to bother to risk their algorithm (or sanity) on them. It really only helps lurkers who might be pro-Vic.

The most enlightening thing to come out of any of these kinds of videos is how long they frequently are. That first one that showed up that used the same "angry woman" stock photo all the alt right uses to indicate "SJW" was 42 minutes long. I know I occasionally watch some lengthy dumb shit on Youtube, but I cannot imagine who is watching videos that long just getting angry over imagined injustices and then running around calling everyone else reactionaries who exaggerate.

I mean, like, the first video that came up when I clicked on his channel was him and a friend...vlogging themselves chasing street crime, for like an hour, in full tactical gear. And not like overtly "lol look at me cosplay!", But actually taking themselves quite seriously.

Just, y'know, wow...

See, those are his professional credentials. If this was an actual injustice, he would be able to recognize it and take the matter into his own hands.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
More accurately, it was saying how he was seeing a lot of "sexual assault claims are unfounded until proven in a court of law" claims and that he had a thought for them: he would kick a denier in the dick, then tell them to their face it never happened.