• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
But...but why? Why broly? Why OLD broly? Old broly is a fucking monster who is just wanted to ruin everything around him for petty reasons that can barely be called character motivations. New Broly would be a far better fit as he's a misunderstood guy who is lashing out because he feels he has no other choice. Wouldn't that be a more thematically appropriate fit? Not that I want to give these fuckers ideas, but Ed is his most famous and well received role and New Broly is his most relevant new work, but they go with the old irrelevant version of Broly whose transparently a villain as a symbol of his virtue? What?

It's because they're idiots.

Like, I get the impulse to see below the surface of things, but I'm pretty sure surface is all we have here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
But...but why? Why broly? Why OLD broly? Old broly is a fucking monster who is just wanted to ruin everything around him for petty reasons that can barely be called character motivations. New Broly would be a far better fit as he's a misunderstood guy who is lashing out because he feels he has no other choice. Wouldn't that be a more thematically appropriate fit? Not that I want to give these fuckers ideas, but Ed is his most famous and well received role and New Broly is his most relevant new work, but they go with the old irrelevant version of Broly whose transparently a villain as a symbol of his virtue? What?

I think these guys just see him as an epitome of manliness especially with the over-the-top musculature.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Ethan Van Sciver, basically one of #ComicsGate's leaders who was fired from DC Comics as an artist last year after rallying Nazis to support his comic book kickstarter has jumped on the Vic Mignogna train

Whoa whoa.....

I just saw that last name and thought about an indie artist that's really big, Noah Van Sciver. Yep, they're brothers. Please tell me he doesn't cross paths with his brother on any of this stuff at all...

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I met him years ago and thought he was really nice, this is heartbreaking to hear.

If it's true than fuck him.

My friend who was a bigger fan got to dance with him at an event, she was 18 at the time, I wonder...

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
lol

DzJz1s4U0AA60Zs.jpg

DzJz2PlUUAAanOq

BRUHH

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Just to chime in, a long-time friend has been involved in Anime Cons since 2006ish on the staffing side of things, and yeah, it's another account to add to the pile: Vic's fanclubs of high school girls was always viewed as suspect even back then, and staff were usually warned to not leave him alone with younger girls.

The Stand with Vic folks are interesting to me on this one; the dude has had a reputation for this shit for almost a decade and a half and this is the guy they want to bat hard for?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

They're idiots. But they identify with the sadistic rage monster with no justification behind his behavior

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Just to chime in, a long-time friend has been involved in Anime Cons since 2006ish on the staffing side of things, and yeah, it's another account to add to the pile: Vic's fanclubs of high school girls was always viewed as suspect even back then, and staff were usually warned to not leave him alone with younger girls.
How is this said about someone and yet nothing is done for so long?

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But stuff was done. Aside from ed and broly vic is kind of a nobody. You don't see the kind of career trajectory of, say, Laura Bailey, or JYB. Vic's roles have gotten smaller over the years, because he's a piece of shit.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The reason Broly has been one of the most popular Dragon Ball characters in the west is because he's a hyper-masculine rage machine. Remember all the complaints about Dragon Ball Super having less-muscly character designs? Also, he's an icon from their lingering childhoods, which many of these people still live in and can't let go of.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
ah i see the alt-right memes have started to take their advanced form on funimation's twitter

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The reason Broly has been one of the most popular Dragon Ball characters in the west is because he's a hyper-masculine rage machine. Remember all the complaints about Dragon Ball Super having less-muscly character designs? Also, he's an icon from their lingering childhoods, which many of these people still live in and can't let go of.

If you can somehow project yourself onto him, he's also one of the purest form of power fantasy in the franchise. Most of the reason people like him is that he's just stronger than anyone when he appears, and he's basically free to bully people how he pleases. Goku's strong and he enjoys it, but the focus is often on him facing down people who are as or more powerful than him and who abuse their power. He takes down bullies, he doesn't become one.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I can't freaking believe this is still going.

So many people being "brave" and saying that they are considering not watching Dragon Ball anymore and they get thousands of likes.

Meanwhile those who do believe get trashed on. I love how not even Sean's words make anyone believe in those who accused Vic. I guess I just never assumed that Vic = Dragon Ball.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Meanwhile those who do believe get trashed on. I love how not even Sean's words make anyone believe in those who accused Vic. I guess I just never assumed that Vic = Dragon Ball.
I would contend that Vic doesn't equal Dragon Ball. That these aren't Dragon Ball fans... even if that's what they profess to be. Hell, they're not even Vic fans.

These are instead nothing more than angry white men lashing out at the world looking for any opportunity afforded to them to lash out at women, at equality, at anything they perceive as a just world order clamping down on someone whose poisoned value system they perceive to share. And, moreso than anything else, lashing out at anyone who dares to tell them they're wrong and who will react to their outrage and effectively give validation to their negative messaging.

Acknowledgement fuels them. Like fuel to a fire. And they will continue unabated so long as they continue to receive this acknowledgement until the next cause to flock towards emerges.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anime News Network suggested a thing recently (heavily paraphrased).

There are a ton of good people in the anime industry who do a good job and are well liked and popular, and that's how they get ahead. There are also some massive assholes in the industry, and they've got fans who love them because the fans don't know the real-life person, they just know the public persona.

Fans = money, so the industry tolerates the assholes. They might even half-heartedly support the assholes, and cover up their indiscretions, because protecting an asshole means protecting their bottom line.

But sometimes things break. Sometimes something gets pushed just a bit too far, and the fans discover what kind of a person the asshole really is, and the asshole starts to lose fans. And when the asshole loses his fans, he loses the only thing that makes him worth anything to anyone, which means he's not worth protecting anymore.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

So many people being "brave" and saying that they are considering not watching Dragon Ball anymore and they get thousands of likes.

Vic was such a fucking tiny part of Dragonball. His only role in the series has been Broly. From the Z days, a character from three non-canon movies, one of which most people pretend doesn't exist. 170 minutes of screen time in an anime that produced, what, 6000 minutes of episodes? He's more recognizable for being stuffed all the merchandise than for the series proper.

Of course, you have the new Broly, but he's pretty much a different character entirely and he's too new for us to be that familiar with him, so it's hard to imagine replacing him would be a huge heartbreak.

The people who claim that they aren't going to watch Dragonball are probably lying, since either they're not going to miss anything from Vic being taken out, or they weren't really interested in watching it in the first place.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Vic was such a fucking tiny part of Dragonball. His only role in the series has been Broly. From the Z days, a character from three non-canon movies, one of which most people pretend doesn't exist. 170 minutes of screen time in an anime that produced, what, 6000 minutes of episodes? He's more recognizable for being stuffed all the merchandise than for the series proper.

Of course, you have the new Broly, but he's pretty much a different character entirely and he's too new for us to be that familiar with him, so it's hard to imagine replacing him would be a huge heartbreak.

The people who claim that they aren't going to watch Dragonball are probably lying, since either they're not going to miss anything from Vic being taken out, or they weren't really interested in watching it in the first place.
That's what frustrates me. They don't accept any word from Monica, Chris or even Sean. And even now some people are using Sean's dislike of TFS as a reason for them not to trust Sean. All for one character and the person who voiced him.

No one else matters? Only Vic? That's absolutely stupid. I love new Broly so much and prefer him to old Broly by far but this doesn't mean that I can only side with his VA. They shouldn't even be using Broly's appearance in the first place when he's a character made in Japan and owned by Toei.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't even know what the fuck else Vic has done besides be Edward Elric, Junpei Iori, and Broly. I didn't even know he was Qrow till recently. I thought it was a guy that sounded like him. Vic ain't shit quite frankly. He never was. All this dick riding is baffling.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
That's what frustrates me. They don't accept any word from Monica, Chris or even Sean. And even now some people are using Sean's dislike of TFS as a reason for them not to trust Sean. All for one character and the person who voiced him.

No one else matters? Only Vic? That's absolutely stupid. I love new Broly so much and prefer him to old Broly by far but this doesn't mean that I can only side with his VA. They shouldn't even be using Broly's appearance in the first place when he's a character made in Japan and owned by Toei.

If anything, it's more believable that they might stop watching Dragonball because it's too painful to remember that Goku called them out.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Whoa whoa.....

I just saw that last name and thought about an indie artist that's really big, Noah Van Sciver. Yep, they're brothers. Please tell me he doesn't cross paths with his brother on any of this stuff at all...

Noah is, as far as I know, not in agreement with Ethan on... well, pretty much all of his shitty views. I'm friends with Steve Bissette on FB, and he's crossed paths with Ethan over the years and remains friends with Noah. I've seen some of Noah's comments about his brother - very much "Oh, what the fuck is he up to now?" kinda thing.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

There are a ton of good people in the anime industry who do a good job and are well liked and popular, and that's how they get ahead. There are also some massive assholes in the industry, and they've got fans who love them because the fans don't know the real-life person, they just know the public persona.

Fans = money, so the industry tolerates the assholes. They might even half-heartedly support the assholes, and cover up their indiscretions, because protecting an asshole means protecting their bottom line.

But sometimes things break. Sometimes something gets pushed just a bit too far, and the fans discover what kind of a person the asshole really is, and the asshole starts to lose fans. And when the asshole loses his fans, he loses the only thing that makes him worth anything to anyone, which means he's not worth protecting anymore.
well the people that tolerated his behaviour for money are just as bad as him

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

As for this, this actually reminds me a lot of an explanation I've heard of Hollywood, and why there are so many things they're willing to sweep under the rug - down to pedophilia rings. Acting is a cutthroat industry where you're not likely to succeed, so the acting community gets very insular and protective in order to maximize their changes and because they feel they're all struggling together.

Now, maybe this is more exaggerated in one industry over another, but it seems likely to me that there's some form of this tribalism in most industries. It's probably something that people have to actively dig up and act against.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Well, you've got all those people who burned their $100 Nikes simply because of Colin Kaepernick...

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

I knew about Funimation boycotts, but not this. Effing LOL.

If they're that PO'd over the firing of a film character VA, then they didn't bear much love for Dragon Ball in the first place.

I would contend that Vic doesn't equal Dragon Ball. That these aren't Dragon Ball fans... even if that's what they profess to be. Hell, they're not even Vic fans.

These are instead nothing more than angry white men lashing out at the world looking for any opportunity afforded to them to lash out at women, at equality, at anything they perceive as a just world order clamping down on someone whose poisoned value system they perceive to share. And, moreso than anything else, lashing out at anyone who dares to tell them they're wrong and who will react to their outrage and effectively give validation to their negative messaging.

Acknowledgement fuels them. Like fuel to a fire. And they will continue unabated so long as they continue to receive this acknowledgement until the next cause to flock towards emerges.

The projection of "outrage culture" at work.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about this earlier, and I know I'm expecting way too much of these people, but I have to wonder if the Vic defense force hasn't stopped for a second to consider while they're attacking Monica Rial, Sean Schemmel et al for conspiring against Saint Vic why not one person who has worked with Vic over the years has come to his defense (Unless I missed something on this front).

I mean, if he was truly as innocent as they're claiming, you'd think at least one person in a position to, one other voice actor or staff member from cons or studios would be willing to back up his version of events with so many accusations now piling up... but all we've seen is repeated witness confirmations of what a piece of shit he is.

Though that's me assuming that for most of these loons this is even about Vic at all I guess.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was thinking about this earlier, and I know I'm expecting way too much of these people, but I have to wonder if the Vic defense force hasn't stopped for a second to consider while they're attacking Monica Rial, Sean Schemmel et al for conspiring against Saint Vic why not one person who has worked with Vic over the years has come to his defense (Unless I missed something on this front).

I mean, if he was truly as innocent as they're claiming, you'd think at least one person in a position to, one other voice actor or staff member from cons or studios would be willing to back up his version of events with so many accusations now piling up... but all we've seen is repeated witness confirmations of what a piece of shit he is.

Though that's me assuming that for most of these loons this is even about Vic at all I guess.
For some it's because he's groomed his fanclub into a cult.
For the majority he's a proxy for all their societal grievances.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah, just saw a little bit of their Facebook. Even for posts completely unrelated they got to make it about Vic. I mean I was looking at post of theirs about Caitlyn Glass being ADR Director for the new Fruits Basket and there's a "Caitlyn touched me inappropriately" post. Damn primordial turds.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Listens to Dragon Ball Super Broly's Broly vs Gogeta theme

Reads the comments section to type something hype
Sees this:

"It's too bad this movie is tainted now with Bulma's actress and those others..."

F off you moron.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I sort of feel like nobody should be able to infringe on copyright and profit off of any of this one way or the other, and yet here we are.

"hey bro, buy my shirt and then take a picture. You might be in my monetized video with a patreon link to support me more." Exploitation at its finest about supporting a sexual offender.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Funimation's Twitter follower count still hasn't dropped.
Same with Schemmel and Sabat, and Monica Rial has even gained a lot of followers.
I hope this means the shit heads are just a vocal minority.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Same with Schemmel and Sabat, and Monica Rial has even gained a lot of followers.
There's a pretty large portion of these trolls that have no avatar or just a random dragon ball avatar which tells me that a lot of them are just sock accounts probably

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
I state this only to state facts, because otherwise I'm kinda hesitant to state any numbers related to me because the naysayers seem to believe I was speaking up for years of victims just to get clout and attention, but...

I've only lost maybe 150 YouTube subscribers out of over 18,000. My YouTube channel isn't my lifeblood in the slightest, so I really don't care about those 150 people, especially considering the circumstances as to how I lost them.

Meanwhile, my Twitter followers went up by 500, give or take. In no way am I gleeful about the nature in which these numbers changed. But I do have to imagine that those people wouldn't be here if they didn't feel very strongly about what was going on. I'm truly hoping that the angry mob sending me death threats is just the vocal minority, and that MOST people, whether they're saying it or not, actually truly do understand the gravity of what is happening here.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no

I have a friend who uses 4Chan. For what it's worth, he told me even despite the site's reputation, people there are generally calling out Mignogna for being absolutely guilty of every accusation he's received, & are mocking the people pretending he isn't.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I have a friend who uses 4Chan. For what it's worth, he told me even despite the site's reputation, people there are generally calling out Mignogna for being absolutely guilty of every accusation he's received, & are mocking the people pretending he isn't.

4chan is nihilistic anarchy. They don't care who's right or wrong, just what stirs up the most shit.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

It's worth noting that 4chan, while having a sort of overarching culture, consists of different communities. Something like Reddit. Some communities are actually quite nice (/m/ is pretty kind for example), but others are complete cesspools.

I wasn't aware of /pol/ when I used to frequent 4chan so maybe it didn't even exist back then, but from what I understand it was created to contain anti-semitism and Neo-Nazi sentiments that would crop up elsewhere, so that was toxic from the start. I imagine they'd be on Vic's side.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Sean Schemmel and Chris Sabat on the side of good, and yet nobody believes them. I'm beyond words.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017

He's OP. That's basically it. Lot of anime fans care more about power levels and comparing power levels than anything else - that's basically half the reason Death Battle's as popular as it is. And in a series that's all about muscley dudes punching the shit out each other Broly was the biggest muscley-est dude with the MAXIMUM power level who punched everyone the hardest.

And as noted in another post, it's telling that Mignogna's defenders identify not with the young, short, and fiery scrapper with a heart of gold, but with the giant raging roid machine who is permanently triggered by literal baby tears.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
BUT HAVENT YOU HEARD?! THERE IS NO DRAGON BALL SUPER OR Z WIHTOUT VIC?!!!?!?!?!??!

/s
I watched a little bit of a video earlier--less than a minute, but just enough--to hear somebody say that Sean Schemmel "betrayed the fans" by not siding with Vic and went "full SJW." What complete and utter horseshit.

All these people crying for evidence rustles the fuck out of my jimmies, too. Like, what fucking evidence do you want? What possible evidence could there be? A fingerprint from when Vic grabbed the ass of a girl in full body paint?

Shit gets me heated, seriously.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
So, right now the conspiracy going around is that I lied about Vic assaulting me. I've never once said he assaulted me. They link back to a Facebook comment on my fan page saying that I once had an unpleasant interaction with him. Now I'm a lying whore. I mean, how dare I have an unpleasant interaction with him once and it not actually be assault, right?

boredandlazy

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So, right now the conspiracy going around is that I lied about Vic assaulting me. I've never once said he assaulted me. They link back to a Facebook comment on my fan page saying that I once had an unpleasant interaction with him. Now I'm a lying whore. I mean, how dare I have an unpleasant interaction with him once and it not actually be assault, right?
But where's the proof you didn't allege he assaulted you? /s

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds about right.

"Yeah Vic is kind of a gross dude, here's some stuff he did and also--"
"bUt WhErE'S ThE EvIdEnCe"

is what I've been seeing for the past week or so. Lord. As if dozens of women would band together to all make up stories about the guy known for playing a Saiyan with one line. Why Vic, of all people? Wouldn't the first choice be, oh I don't know, Sean Schemmel? Chris Sabat? Some big-name anime voice actor?

What do all these women hope to achieve by falsely accusing Vic of sexual assault and abuse? Fame? Like that famous Cosby accuser... uh, what's her name... you know the one, right? The one with the... uh, thing? Yeah, that one. Surely this will boost their careers, too. I'm sure job opportunities come rolling in for all these women who accuse men of sexual assault and abuse, because the SJWs love to pity women and give them jobs in exchange for whistleblowing problematic men in the industry and holy shit how stupid do these people have to be