• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These losers are fucking desperate.

To any of those no-lifers lurking this thread: You are using the government to silence people who share opinions you dislike. That's a million times worse than losing a platform to spew your boiled piss. In fact, that is almost like invalidating the first amendment or something. Hmm.

No. They're not deseprate. They just want to hurt women. They're lying about any of their motivations, they just want to see women hurt. That's what all of this is in service of. You're seeing that they're bad, but you're not seeing how insidious and despicable they actually are. It's not about disliking opinions. It never has been. These people will lie to your face because that's the only way they can make their actions seem reasonable. And they have fun doing it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm seriously worried that this isn't going to go away.

The actual meat of this event is long over now. Vic has been thouroughly kicked.

This harassment isn't about Vic anymore. I mean, it never was, but now it's just an outright harassment campaign fuelled solely by a need to hurt women, and I don't know exactly how this one is going to be stopped.

Anyone who speaks out against the group is literally putting their lives at risk now. That's not hyperbole, we've seen how swatting can go. And the big players in the American anime industry have mostly done all that can be expected of them, with a few exceptions. Cons have stopped booking the guy, companies have stopped working with him. Even if in some miracle situation Funimation or someone similar decided to actively combat the stand with Vic people I doubt it would even do anything at this point. No one's going to stop until people start going to jail, and unless something horrific happens no one's going to see any actual repurcussions for this.

I don't want to be overly negative, but I feel like the only end result now is a lot of good people getting harassed out of the anime community.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've met Xero a couple times. He's a good guy.

That said, the police really should have questioned the legitimacy of a SWAT call where the caller said "I stand with Vic" before acting on it. At least they're going to fix the door.

SWAT team only gets called for really serious time-sensitive scenarios. Swatters know this. So to be effective swatters will accuse their target of holding hostages, kidnapping and molesting children, secretly making a bomb, etc. And if you're the 911 operator, you have to treat that call seriously, because it's better to respond and be wrong than not respond and be wrong, especially if lives are on the line. Adding "I stand with Vic" is weird and possibly a red flag but I imagine they still have to treat it seriously regardless.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
SWAT team only gets called for really serious time-sensitive scenarios. Swatters know this. So to be effective swatters will accuse their target of holding hostages, kidnapping and molesting children, secretly making a bomb, etc. And if you're the 911 operator, you have to treat that call seriously, because it's better to respond and be wrong than not respond and be wrong, especially if lives are on the line. Adding "I stand with Vic" is weird and possibly a red flag but I imagine they still have to treat it seriously regardless.

I'm assuming you frame it like "I stand with Vic and that's why I am going to blow up this house." Keeps the SWAT team from being suspicious and sends the message on your behalf when they relay it.

The terrifying thing about SWATing is how easy it is. There are basic baseline threats that they simply have to investigate, it would be catastrophic if they were credible and didn't get investigated, so you only have to rattle off some really obvious things and you can immediately put someone's life in danger.

This needs to be better regulated, and fast, because it's far too easy and morality is not stopping these people so consequences will have to do that.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I don't want to be overly negative, but I feel like the only end result now is a lot of good people getting harassed out of the anime community.
You're certainly not being negative when it comes to the intentions of this group. Just as was the case with GamerGate, they want scalps. That's all this is about to them. They want a victim to claim as their own. Either one that is harassed into silence, leaving the industry they love or worse. Provoking them only serves to pour gasoline on the fire and further jeopardize anyone associated with this. Because they'll get bored and look elsewhere for another tinder pot to get their fix should they grow restless and not be thrown more bait here.

I'm happy Pensacon is taking a hard line (even if it meant putting their Twitter account on radio silence) because Chris Sabat and Monica Rial will be attending as guests there this weekend. They had to acknowledge the circumstances because they have a responsibility to safeguard the well-being of their guests and attendees.

I am concerned about the spillover into both the anime community and voice actor fandom as a whole as that was a community I was highly invested in some time ago. By and large, it's a great group of personable talent who have made themselves accessible to their fans and a great group of fans that recognize their immense talents and reward that with unbridled enthusiasm. Neither group deserves to be tainted by a legion of reactionary outsiders simply looking to prey upon victims. That's what this is... and the sooner it gets stamped out, the better.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think that these people would just boycott english dubs if they care so much about Vic. Just voice your shitty opinion and leave. But nah, you gotta make it personal. This is the fucking hill to die on despite the fact that history will not be on your side on this.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does this deserve a thread title change?

Perhaps "Actor Vic Mignogna accused of widespread misconduct. Rooster Teeth and FUNimation cut ties. Vic's supporters SWAT his accusers"

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
A VA got SWATted...?

Imagine. Fucking imagine. Thinking Vic fuckin' Mignona - not even unable to get work anymore, but just having his access to cons and anime gigs revoked - is worth getting someone killed over. AFTER the man you're supposedly defending asked people not to harass or harm anyone accusing him.

If whoever did this was of sound, adult mind, they should be locked up and never released. They are a danger to society, as any SWATter is. SWATting is essentially just asking the police to kill someone for you, after all.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think that these people would just boycott english dubs if they care so much about Vic. Just voice your shitty opinion and leave. But nah, you gotta make it personal. This is the fucking hill to die on despite the fact that history will not be on your side on this.

Boycott a dub? As in not watch/consume something readily available? Good Gods, man, we're not savages.

No, clearly we must try to get someone killed. Especially if said person is involved in the dub we're trying to salvage. Much more sensible.

/s

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boycott a dub? As in not watch/consume something readily available? Good Gods, man, we're not savages.

No, clearly we must try to get someone killed. Especially if said person is involved in the dub we're trying to salvage. Much more sensible.

/s

they don't care about vic or anime. they want woman to hate and were given targets

they only use vic and anime as pretext which is why whenever they use rhetoric about that, they are lying

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You'd think Broly's BO numbers would give credibility to Anime
I've seen this meme go around a few times:

HtP7hvw.jpg

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seriously worried that this isn't going to go away.

The actual meat of this event is long over now. Vic has been thouroughly kicked.

This harassment isn't about Vic anymore. I mean, it never was, but now it's just an outright harassment campaign fuelled solely by a need to hurt women, and I don't know exactly how this one is going to be stopped.

Anyone who speaks out against the group is literally putting their lives at risk now. That's not hyperbole, we've seen how swatting can go. And the big players in the American anime industry have mostly done all that can be expected of them, with a few exceptions. Cons have stopped booking the guy, companies have stopped working with him. Even if in some miracle situation Funimation or someone similar decided to actively combat the stand with Vic people I doubt it would even do anything at this point. No one's going to stop until people start going to jail, and unless something horrific happens no one's going to see any actual repurcussions for this.

I don't think it'll go away completely, but eventually this particular subject might die down somewhat. Saving Vic wasn't goal, but harassment takes some amount of time and effort, it takes maintaining interest. That's easier to maintain when you have a flow of news or "victories". If another cause comes up somewhere else it might take some of the interest away.

But a lot of the bigger issues fueling Vic's supporters have already been there. Swatting is already popular enough in nerd cultures that you can find video of a swat team describing an incident as "gamer shit". Abusers like Vic were allowed to continue on for years, and not just in the VA industry, and there is significant resistance to their removal. Misogynistic groups like Gamergate and MRAs are increasingly connected through the Internet. These are the kinds of issues that need to be addressed for this to really disappear.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to ask this but do we know whom it happened to? I'm in no way saying this didnt happen, I just want to send some condolences/and the like to the person. ( Y'all can check my post history to know I'm not a shit heel Vic stan.)

Edit: nevermind, its come to my attention the person doesnt wish to come out yet (makes sense considering) a person on a discord channel told me this and gave my regards. I really hate what's happening to people here.

Last edited:

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Seeing big this has blown up do you guys think this is the "animegate" that people have been fearing would happen sooner or later?
Nope. They'd still need more "SJWs meddling in the industry" to throw up as a smokescreen to get the ball rolling on that. If and when Japan starts voluntarily toning down the fan service and titilating character designs, that's when it'll hit the tipping point.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been posting about the latest incidents, but I've certainly been lurking and reading all the posts. I just don't know what I'd add to the conversation other than perhaps if these fucking incels weren't hateful little shits, maybe women would actually give them the time of day. Swatting a VA isn't going to help improve your image with the ladies, morons.

Also, swatting should be a jailable offense nationwide. Same thing for all these death threats.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Seems the swatting may not have actually occurred. Can't verify the validity, but this is being passed around by the #stand losers. Links to the seemingly now-deleted Facebook posts are in the replies.
*Removed due to likely being fake*

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Seems the swatting may not have actually occurred. Can't verify the validity, but this is being passed around by the #stand losers. Links to the seemingly now-deleted Facebook posts are in the replies.
*Removed due to likely being fake*
Looks like the entire Facebook account has been deleted or gone private.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He can't seem to provide proof to the archived stories. So I'm calling bs from that dude.
And she went private on her FB, all reasons making sense considering.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So there is a really bizarre video (stream?) on youtube that supposedly tries to expose the conspiracy that Sean and Monica had against Vic, and MarzGurl and anime network thingy.

it's multiple people in a chat call and some viewers in the chat and they're all completely insane and I got really scared.

The fuck is wrong with these people ?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and asked the primary source of the photos in the first place about it privately. It's being looked into.

I'm about ready to call bullshit on it, with the "screenshot" circulating having the friends only privacy icon on it. If it were truly friends only, a link to the post would never work for the vast majority of people clicking on it - nevermind the question of how someone would have gotten on her friends list to screencap the post in the first place.

Last edited:

sensui-tomo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there is a really bizarre video (stream?) on youtube that supposedly tries to expose the conspiracy that Sean and Monica had against Vic, and MarzGurl and anime network thingy.

it's multiple people in a chat call and some viewers in the chat and they're all completely insane and I got really scared.

The fuck is wrong with these people ?

Lack of empathy/some bad parenting or social groups/ internet anonymity all mix together to make an asshole. Last part in that mix is optional.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I went ahead and asked the primary source of the photos in the first place about it privately. It's being looked into.

I'm about ready to call bullshit on it, with the "screenshot" circulating having the friends only privacy icon on it. If it were truly friends only, a link to the post would never work for the vast majority of people clicking on it - nevermind the question of how someone would have gotten on her friends list to screencap the post in the first place.

friend if you weren't ready to call bullshit on it when you knew who/what you were dealing with then you need to adjust your sensors

True, I think I'll remove it.

good move

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
If all of this has really illuminated anything to me, it's how frustrated I am with the lax way websites like Twitter and YouTube let this shit fester the way it does. You got people actively harrassing and making up shit through their platforms.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
If all of this has really illuminated anything to me, it's how frustrated I am with the lax way websites like Twitter and YouTube let this shit fester the way it does. You got people actively harrassing and making up shit through their platforms.
Its the old adage of controversy creating cash. The more their platforms create stories the more people will interact with them and the more money they make.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
YouTube and twitter execs genuinely don't give a fuck about harassment. In fact, you're more likely to get verified status on the platform if you've gained a following based on harassing others.