• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
basically for his fans to back off from defending him, that people should love each other, hate begets hate

basically he knows he fucked up but still won't admit it, but he's trying to round up his fans so they don't cause more backlash for him.

Thanks. I wonder if he's worried he'll incriminate himself or if his ego refuses to believe he's done anything wrong.

Yeah, saw the original "gotcha" post. It's funny to me that he would know what an actor's contract would look like. But yeah, those kind of replies don't help.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
Yikes, so, last week, a former Risembool Ranger told this story about how she was part of a Ranger-exclusive Twister contest, and how at one point Vic walked over and touched her butt and autographed her exposed back.

And you know what? I found a four-part video of Vic being the judge of a Risembool Ranger Twister Contest. He doesn't touch anybody's butt, but he DOES autograph the exposed backs of three girls. (Vic is dressed as a TIE Fighter pilot in the videos.)

I mean, what's also kinda weird is that they're not using the spinner to play the game. Vic is just sort of shouting out colors and various arms and legs off the top of his head.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yikes, so, last week, a former Risembool Ranger told this story about how she was part of a Ranger-exclusive Twister contest, and how at one point Vic walked over and touched her butt and autographed her exposed back.

And you know what? I found a four-part video of Vic being the judge of a Risembool Ranger Twister Contest. He doesn't touch anybody's butt, but he DOES autograph the exposed backs of three girls. (Vic is dressed as a TIE Fighter pilot in the videos.)

I mean, what's also kinda weird is that they're not using the spinner to play the game. Vic is just sort of shouting out colors and various arms and legs off the top of his head.

So I finally brought my sister up to speed about all the Vic stuff. She was on the verge of tears she was so heartbroken, but she kinda mirrored what I said earlier in this thread.

"But... That video where he was talking about refusing to sign women's bodies with Scott McNeil..."

This just makes it all the more bewildering. I mean, I know I know "projecting narcissist". But it's still nuts how blatantly hypocritical it is to me.

SjShane

Oct 27, 2017
New Jacindaland ❤️
I met Vic about about 2006 at Armageddon Expo in NZ when I was an 11 or 12 year old boy, he honestly came across as smug and rude to me, but I noticed it wasn't the same for other attendees in front of me (which if I recall, were young females, although I hadn't really thought much of that until now), but I remember being slightly offendend thinking he was just being an ass to me.

Basically, it seemed like he was having a great laugh with everyone else, talking, asking questions, touching and shaking their hands, getting close, then it was my turn and he was all "Hi, what's your name?" in a real flat, bored tone, then quickly signed all three copies tossed them back to me and said "Thanks, cya" in a way that implied he just wanted me to piss off.

Signed Broly copies to prove I'm not just talking shit: https://imgur.com/gallery/5o7n2Xe

Also Kevin Conroy was there too, I didn't have any Batman merch to get signed, but he was legit awesome, and was nice to everyone.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
How long before their narrative turns to; "How do we know these people were gonna follow up on their threats? Innocent until proven guilty is a thing you guys! How do we know if they're even threats really? How do we know the NPCs weren't posing as others to manipulate things??????"

If only TB were still around to say it's not a death threat because they're still breathing

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a cool oasis compared to the blazing inferno trashfire over on Kanzenshuu.

I'm at a loss as to how people impute all of these virtues onto some shitty anime voice actor because they like his work.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
At least Vic told his fans to back off, that's something... I guess. Though the wording, especially in the "whatever happens to me" almost sounds like he recognizes that his career is done.

Was digging for the Kip Mangina skits and found this one. Surprised he hasn't chimed in tbh considering how openly he used to rip into Vic.

Schemmel used to get into a lot of internet fights and got a bad reputation for it, since then he tends to just stay out of arguments or things that could lead to them. He likely just doesn't want to get into it with Vic defenders.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
At least Vic told his fans to back off, that's something... I guess. Though the wording, especially in the "whatever happens to me" almost sounds like he recognizes that his career is done.

Schemmel used to get into a lot of internet fights and got a bad reputation for it, since then he tends to just stay out of arguments or things that could lead to them. He likely just doesn't want to get into it with Vic defenders.
one thing that i will criticize him for is that he can get overly defensive about his characters and his work and that can make him come off as a bit of an ass, but he's always seemed like a pretty stand up guy otherwise

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Does this read like she might be taking Vic to court to anyone else?

Nah, with lawyer she's probably just making sure she doesn't say anything that could open her up for a suit (which even if she says something truthful and thus the suit is unfounded, it's still costly). With authorities, again, she got death threats among others.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When Vic says he doesn't condone threats he doesn't mean it. He sicced his fans onto individuals thru his discord in order to harass them, and there's no way you don't understand that people will stoop to personal threats when that happens. You can't encourage people to only harass "A little". You either do or you don't. We saw through this shit with gamergate; see through it here.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018
Funimation's still silent on this, correct? Not even stating that they'll be conducting an internal investigation as is usually the case with these things? Sorry it's been really hard for me to keep up with this.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Funimation's still silent on this, correct? Not even stating that they'll be conducting an internal investigation as is usually the case with these things? Sorry it's been really hard for me to keep up with this.
Yeah, but a lot of VAs that work with them are against Vic, and Rawly Pickens (Voice Director for Dragon Ball Super) even made a tweet in support of the victims. Even if Funimation doesn't make a public statement I think it's pretty safe to say Funimation won't be working with him anymore.
I'm not seeing any showings of the Broly movie past Tuesday, so if it's finally finishing its run this week then hopefully Funimation will make a statement on Wednesday.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man the Vic Defense Force is REALLY clinging to the whole Jamie Marchi "threat". Even when it's pointed out that with the full context they really think she's in hot water with that.

Also:

When did boogie get a new account?

Homophobia is an "opinion"?

Not liking a game is an "opinion".

Homophobia, hating someone for being homosexual is not a goddamn "opinion", it's just wrong.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When Vic says he doesn't condone threats he doesn't mean it. He sicced his fans onto individuals thru his discord in order to harass them, and there's no way you don't understand that people will stoop to personal threats when that happens. You can't encourage people to only harass "A little". You either do or you don't. We saw through this shit with gamergate; see through it here.

Yeah...on retrospect I retract my previous statement. He wanted his followers to harass his accusers into silence.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
"What's wrong with being homophobic ? It's just an opinion"

ahahahahahahah

top tier

Oct 25, 2017
Man the Vic Defense Force is REALLY clinging to the whole Jamie Marchi "threat". Even when it's pointed out that with the full context they really think she's in hot water with that.

Also:

What the fuck at that opinion. Homophobia is on the same level as racism and anti-semitism. Just trying to rationalize either is to pretty much say said group isn't even human. What the fuck is that shit?

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
might be old but saw this
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...eges-mignogna-grabbed-pulled-her-hair/.143203

In allegations that closely resemble those levied by cosplayer Jessie Pridemore, voice actress Jamie Marchi publicly accused fellow voice actor Vic Mignogna of running his fingers through her hair, seizing her hair at the base of her scalp, and pulling her towards him followed by whispering a sexual comment in her ear.

yeah she tweeted about it and it was posted in here earlier.

Still good for anyone who missed it.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

It's a tricky thing because as a voice actor, Vic technically isn't an employee of Funimation, just a contract worker. And at the time, he's not currently playing any roles in their anime (the one character he was in Slime got killed off and they recasted his character in the other).

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
unknown.png

unknown.png

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
I've spent the last week surrounded by Vic defenders so this thread is a nice little beacon of sanity.

I hope he gets dropped from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure too; I'd like to support the dub but not while he's still a prominent cast member.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Unfortunately I have friends who don't think anything short of footage of the act counts as evidence. And these are from my more rational friends I've had.

"WhY dIdnT tHeY fILm It" is easily one of the more mind-numbing takes here. I mean, what were they expecting: everyone to whip out their cameras whenever he made physical contact with an underage fan?

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've spent the last week surrounded by Vic defenders so this thread is a nice little beacon of sanity.

I hope he gets dropped from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure too; I'd like to support the dub but not while he's still a prominent cast member.
i imagine that's to far into dubbing to do anything about it unfortunately.

Hopefully if they do the Rohan OVA they recast.
"WhY dIdnT tHeY fILm It" is easily one of the more mind-numbing takes here. I mean, what were they expecting: everyone to whip out their cameras whenever he made physical contact with an underage fan?
They say with security cameras everywhere he would HAVE to been caught at some point.

Oct 25, 2017

Was watching the Rohan episodes today and despite the solid voice acting it's still a bit weird knowing that its him. He probably won't get replaced though, unless people planned on financially supporting that decision

stupei

Oct 26, 2017

Also:

Maybe his avatar shouldn't have a picture of an openly queer actress on it if he thinks there's nothing wrong with homophobia.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Legally mandatory oversized body cams worn conspicuously at all times, obviously. It almost sounds like something men in charge would force on women.

I was reading through the Jessie Pridemore post on Facebook and those comments just get dark, man. Makes you feel bad about the future if this is how young people react to something like this.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of people defend Vic because he's their favorite voice actor. Whether they think what's going on is true or not. They don't care. However, threatening someone is too far no matter who it is

"Nothing every happened to me!" "Proof or it didn't happen!" All these boil down to is that he voices a character they like. When will fans get it through their heads that they do not ACTUALLY know these people. What mask they put on in the mass public or act they have is always just the surface of who they are until they turn around and are not looking anymore. Or they just do not care either way

"I met them at a convention! they were so nice!" oh boy. That means now you have known them and delved into their psyche for a decade right? smh

"they wouldn't do anything like that! I believe in them!" Its a bunch of stuffy BS. All these such fans who think they know someone but everyone who is actually close to the situation is a liar and evil?

And this is not just about Vic. Its just typical for too many

Apr 14, 2018
It's a tricky thing because as a voice actor, Vic technically isn't an employee of Funimation, just a contract worker. And at the time, he's not currently playing any roles in their anime (the one character he was in Slime got killed off and they recasted his character in the other).

Very true, I failed to remember that they're contracted, and as such it's very different than, say, the Kevin Spacey situation. Still, I hope they comment.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
a lot of people defend Vic because he's their favorite voice actor. Whether they think what's going on is true or not. They don't care. However, threatening someone is too far no matter who it is

"Nothing every happened to me!" "Proof or it didn't happen!" All these boil down to is that he voices a character they like. When will fans get it through their heads that they do not ACTUALLY know these people. What mask they put on in the mass public or act they have is always just the surface of who they are until they turn around and are not looking anymore. Or they just do not care either way

"I met them at a convention! they were so nice!" oh boy. That means now you have known them and delved into their psyche for a decade right? smh

"they wouldn't do anything like that! I believe in them!" Its a bunch of stuffy BS. All these such fans who think they know someone but everyone who is actually close to the situation is a liar and evil?

Yep.
Of people who are fans of voice actors, like, in the sense big name celebs have fans, maybe a handful who really "know" any of these people without basically being their friend. I'm sure most of them are fine individuals when out of the spotlight, but thing is? They're still actors. And many get MORE money from con appearances than they ever do when doing their, you know, actual job. Of course they're going to front being all happy and shine and smiles. Like, if you go enough, you can even kind of tell, too, when they're just trying to, say, get through an autograph line without rushing any fans or being grumpy so as not to upset them, vs. more genuine reactions. Just doin' a job vs. genuinely being impressed or joyful.

Without being rude, keeping in mind there was a time when I was socially inept as well, I'm guessing a lot of these Vic fans are kinda... not the most socially adept, so they aren't really able to tell. So when he puts up the front of all smiles and rainbows talking to guys or girls he isn't attracted to, it seems like, you know, genuine interest.

But that's just my theory.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep.
Of people who are fans of voice actors, like, in the sense big name celebs have fans, maybe a handful who really "know" any of these people without basically being their friend. I'm sure most of them are fine individuals when out of the spotlight, but thing is? They're still actors. And many get MORE money from con appearances than they ever do when doing their, you know, actual job. Of course they're going to front being all happy and shine and smiles. Like, if you go enough, you can even kind of tell, too, when they're just trying to, say, get through an autograph line without rushing any fans or being grumpy so as not to upset them, vs. more genuine reactions. Just doin' a job vs. genuinely being impressed or joyful.

Without being rude, keeping in mind there was a time when I was socially inept as well, I'm guessing a lot of these Vic fans are kinda... not the most socially adept, so they aren't really able to tell. So when he puts up the front of all smiles and rainbows talking to guys or girls he isn't attracted to, it seems like, you know, genuine interest.

But that's just my theory.
Agreed. What makes Vic worse than the majority of other celebs and fan-surrounded icons (without even mentioning his crimes) is he recognises his fans don't see the real him, and baits them further with a friendlier face at every possible chance regardless - that's how you groom someone. He doesn't just engage with fans, say, over Twitter or an AMA, he invents and oversees his own fan-club, taking a very active part in steering his fans towards whatever mentality he sees fit under the banner of "if you were a real Vic fan, you'd see/think/act like this...". Even had nothing come out about his behaviour, the fact he so readily feeds this type of environment is cause for concern as someone abusing their power.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's super weird to me that this shit can be known by everyone for years and then one day out of the blue it finally comes up from under the bubble and now your career is ruined.

Dernhelm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's super weird to me that this shit can be known by everyone for years and then one day out of the blue it finally comes up from under the bubble and now your career is ruined.
He has been challenged before, but until #MeToo, garnering support against even benign figures in the enteyyrtainment industry was a massive ask for these women. Add to that the people in the industry and con circuit who knew, it is dry telling of how rotting so many industries (from film, to music, to sports, to tech, to even fringe entertainment ones like VA and Conventions) are when they value quiet stability over protection of their customers and staff, all in the name of keeping the money coming in.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Everybody's got connections and nobody wants to burn any bridges, no matter how gross the toll keeper is.

...I can't tell if that was a good euphemism or not, but you get my point

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017

That's easy. There use to be incentive to protect these individuals. There isn't anymore(Summing up several I've seen over the past few days). I've seen a lot of guilty parties, both guys and girls, start to get "morale" all of sudden. Didn't stop them saying how she was just starting shit and lying 3 years ago because they wanted to keep getting invites to his parties. Or how they knew all along, yet somehow never had an issue till they had a spat. Especially with conventions where image is everything, think high school.

Feb 5, 2019

Word. Three of my friends are Vic defenders, including a friend who I was starting to become close with. This thread is an outlet for me. Luckily two of my closest friends can't stand Vic and I'm seeing both of these friends soon; that's a relief to know.

I agree. Vic's fans don't know him and I agree about celebrity guests at cons putting on smiling faces for the fans. Sometimes a person just has to fake it until they make it, but Vic takes the concept behind that saying to a whole new level. He's just fake in general.

Last edited:

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017

The word "Fan" comes from "Fanatic" after all.