• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dylan "Hazukari" Kleiman.

He was a nobody who managed to kinda hang around with industry people at cons and used that as clout to make himself look important. He had a small handful of writing credits on places like ANN (all of which have been pulled). He somehow managed to keep his "pro pals" circle separate from this younger circle he was running with. Everyone knew he was a horn dog but his sex pest (and worse) practices flew under the radar for years. His outing kicked off a wave of naming and shaming harassers and abusers in the anime circuit.

Finally, this is long overdue and should've happened well before 2019.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Dylan "Hazukari" Kleiman.

He was a nobody who managed to kinda hang around with industry people at cons and used that as clout to make himself look important. He had a small handful of writing credits on places like ANN (all of which have been pulled). He somehow managed to keep his "pro pals" circle separate from this younger circle he was running with. Everyone knew he was a horn dog but his sex pest (and worse) practices flew under the radar for years. His outing kicked off a wave of naming and shaming harassers and abusers in the anime circuit.
I have no idea who he is, but I'm glad he was outed and that started this.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
A thread regarding experiences with a younger Vic.

I fucking despise this man.

All of the accounts have been truly terrible, but this one leaves me feeling physically sick to such a degree it's almost hard to find the right words. Maybe it's the part where she felt like all she could do was to warn her daughter to stay away from this man, to try to protect her daughter and friends. Jesus.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I posted that in response to the fact that there's been a lot of abusers attending cons. It saddens me.

In a way, it's a good turn that it's coming out. Abusers don't gain anything by being seen as abusers; they want to be seen as normal people and will hide out wherever normal people are if given the opportunity. The stories are coming out now so it might feel like it's a now problem, but the fact is that it's better now that they come out and that the abusers be dealt with than we pretend that everything's okay as the problems are ignored.

Last edited:

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Thank you for the kind words. The hate group thrown at me from YellowFlash has made me question if this was the right thing to be pursuing. I'm hoping they're just the loud, angry mob. I've had so many people (industry included) approach me to tell me their stories in private and anonymously, so I have to assume that they feel like this is finally the right time. Never did I dream last month that this was actually gonna be the time that something was going to actually be done about it. I sincerely thought that this would be just like all the other times I was privy to those conversations where we'd all sit around the campfire and tell our Vic stories over dinner and then nothing would ever change. I'm shocked we're here right now.

I also have to echo this. You're a braver person than most I've met, & you're doing a lot of good work towards getting this sex offender to face some level of consequence. Thank you, MarzGurl.

Feb 5, 2019
I also have to echo this. You're a braver person than most I've met, & you're doing a lot of good work towards getting this sex offender to face some level of consequence. Thank you, MarzGurl.

Yes, thank you, MarzGurl. You are helping so many survivors with your work. Recognize the value of the support that you're giving (and have likely already given) the survivors as well.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Any updates on the Vic situation? All I know is that he's off Rooster Teeth.

He's now telling his angry mob of teenage fangirls & alt-righters looking to "own the SJW's" to stop attacking people so he can look innocent... After telling his angry mob of teenage fangirls & alt-righters looking to "own the SJW's" to attack people. Clearly, it's working as intended, as the angry mob is still attacking people but are now insisting Vic's innocent because of this.

Also he's getting a surge of Twitter followers, so someone with a lot of bots wants to bolster his ego for whatever reason.

Sokrates

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funimation quietly recast his role in Morose Mononokean, they've yet to make an official announcement but it's definitely pointing towards dropping him entirely

Damn that's great. I've been waiting for Funimation to condemn him for awhile and I'm still waiting for Toei to say something but I doubt it'll issue a statement so soon after the release of Broly.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The way it sounds from this story, fuck this person's mother as well.Sounds like she was victim blaming here.
In case any of the noteworthy detractors elect to trot out the 'ole "this is because of Broly's success" narrative for this latest accusation, @MichellMcC73 first went public with her account of Vic grooming her in his pre-voice acting days back in 2017. So that tact won't hold any water.

Also, Vic's ex-fiancee (Michele Sprecht) has been liking various tweets of Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial and some of the other victims who have bravely shared their allegations over Twitter.

Deleted member 32561

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So Vic really has been this way for longer than we thought. Not shocked. :/ Like obviously this is more about the victim, but, just imagine being a fan of someone only to find out they hurt your MOM in such a way....

Also, Vic's ex-fiancee (Michele Sprecht) has been liking various tweets of Jamie Marchi, Monica Rial and some of the other victims who have bravely shared their allegations over Twitter.
Hm! I remember hearing about Michele Specht marrying Vic a while back, but now that I look into it seems like they called off the wedding at like the very last minute for unspecified reasons? Didn't realize she had a Twitter. The fact that they worked on that Star Trek fan show together makes me think it didn't have to do with Vic's past though.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Man, yeah, just... like the idea of having to have that conversation with your kid, or with your mom, oof. And I feel that's unfortunately not a unique conversation - having to tell your kid that there's a missing stair in your community - but there is there is something bizarre/surreal about having it about a voice actor for something they like.

If nothing else I'll also say: I appreciate that unlike some other terrible people who can at least play to that horrible crowd for money going forward, he really can't? He doesn't make his own content, just acts in others', and depends on convention appearances aside. I cannot see a way he can spin this into something successful for himself by pandering to this crowd, and I feel a little relieved about that.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Lionizing '90s anime voice acting is so weird; I lived through the '90s and I'm having a hard time imagining it from anyone who isn't running purely on blind nostalgia. Remember the Final Bout dub? That was peak '90s right there.

Also, after seeing the Broly movie, I actually think it provides the perfect time to boot Vic, too. Bonus points if
he's actually a recurring character when Super is back instead of just appearing in all the games, so Vic can't look at the franchise again without hearing his replacement.

The Ocean dub of DBZ had some of the best VA in the biz, and you can bet your ass they deserve to be adulated!

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, has anyone pointed out that he also voiced Ma Kensei in Kenichi: The World's Strongest Disciple? Cause that role seems quite appropriate.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
This post has just about every trope, shitty hot take you can imagine

Man I'm very "Pro-Dub" and even find a lot of 90s dub decent for their time but WUUUUUUT? I raised an eyebrow at "a black man actually voicing a black character. Take THAT SJWs!"

A thread regarding experiences with a younger Vic.

Fucking scumbag! And of course the "Gosh, why is she waiting NOW to report it. Seems fishy" comments are so infuriating!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm very "Pro-Dub" and even find a lot of 90s dub decent for their time but WUUUUUUT? I raised an eyebrow at "a black man actually voicing a black character. Take THAT SJWs!"

It doesn't even say a black man voicing a black character, it says a black man voicing a character. Like, SJW means you're opposed to black people getting work or something. I don't understand it.

It's right under Metabee, who was kind of infamous in the dub because he loves watermelons and "sounds black", so the SJW jab would maaaaaybe make sense if that's what they're referring to. But the image seems more like that's line is in reference to the character below (don't know the name) and Metabee's an example of a unique voice direction.

A lot of these are nonsensical though. Why do I care if a voice actor has a Twitter account and expresses political views when I'm watching an anime, how is that more than tangentially related to the quality of the dub? Why is there random praise of that era's Godzilla movies which doesn't even mention the dubbing? Then 90% of the second section is just whining against feminist and diversity issues. Oh, and a comparison of how hot a Japanese voice actress is versus dub actresses.

Also, the fact that the same image whines about people talking about politics while ragging on "anti-trump crazies", unions, and feminists.

Last edited:

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
It's right under Metabee, who was kind of infamous in the dub because he loves watermelons and "sounds black", so the SJW jab would maaaaaybe make sense if that's what they're referring to. But the image seems more like that's line is in reference to the character below (don't know the name) and Metabee's an example of a unique voice direction.

Are you serious? I never really watched Medabots I just remembered the "sounds black" voice. It's funny to see someone praise Dutch from Black Lagoon considering he tells a Neo Nazi to fuck off.

8juBkHw.gif

But anyway, sorry to get OT.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even say a black man voicing a black character, it says a black man voicing a character. Like, SJW means you're opposed to black people getting work or something. I don't understand it.
I think the point is that if you think Vic shouldn't continue getting work because he casually molests fans, then you think that 90s anime dubs are bad. Therefore the official SJW position is that all 90s dubs are bad, so we're supposed to be floored when 90s dubs were actually MORE SJW than today's dubs.

Simple.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I think the "black guy voicing a character" thing was just supposed to taken as "hey, you can't complain, because _". Some sort of weird pre-emptive "gotcha!", not saying "SJWs" don't want him voicing a character.

But the entire thing is so inane that I can't tell if it's trolling or not, so. Who knows.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Suck it SJWs we had a kid voice the dude from Beyblade to not shatter the immserive experience of Beybladr

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think the point is that if you think Vic shouldn't continue getting work because he casually molests fans, then you think that 90s anime dubs are bad. Therefore the official SJW position is that all 90s dubs are bad, so we're supposed to be floored when 90s dubs were actually MORE SJW than today's dubs.

Simple.

You're probably right. The whole point is to support heinous shit, and so it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to support heinous shit. Framing it as a comparison of '90s dubs versus modern dubs is just a way to pass it off as something benign; to try to pin the fallout of Mignogna's actions on something other than his actions themselves.

Last edited:

Porcupine_i

Apr 9, 2018
So, what he is saying is that we should listen to the people coming forward, because his side of the story is not the only one?

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
He was extremely active on Anitwitter, at least that's how I knew of him.

Dylan had a lot of ins - or at least managed to project the illusion of having a lot of ins - with a lot of different groups within the anime community, particularly amongst those who frequented particularly the East coast US cons. I mean, I'm relatively antisocial, and I'm pretty sure I've met him at least once, and could probably draw a line between myself and him with only a couple of steps through at least two distinct friend groups. I suspect a lot of folks just seemed to assume he was OK due to some of the crowds he seemed hang around with, despite the state his Twitter seemed to descend into whenever he was particularly drunk.

The fact that he at least seemed to be on friendly terms with a lot of more noteable folks is a lot of what ended up kicking up a lot of this Vic stuff - an bunch of folks with an audience feeling guilty about having given him any kind of platform in the past (podcast appearances, articles on news sites, etc) figuring it was a good time to start maybe clearing the house of some of the other known issues in the con scene. Has lead to some weird fallout, but given the stories that have been floating around about Vic as long as I can remember paying attention to such things, it's probably about time this came about.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Has lead to some weird fallout, but given the stories that have been floating around about Vic as long as I can remember paying attention to such things, it's probably about time this came about.
Before anyone asks why Justin was apparently treated differently when he defended himself, his statements were almost immediately backed up by his peers and he doesn't have any other accusers. (In fact, I've yet to actually see an accusation against Justin that wasn't just inserting his name, misspelled, into a spreadsheet.) Both things are not true in the Dylan and Vic situations.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
Before anyone asks why Justin was apparently treated differently when he defended himself, his statements were almost immediately backed up by his peers and he doesn't have any other accusers. (In fact, I've yet to actually see an accusation against Justin that wasn't just inserting his name, misspelled, into a spreadsheet.) Both things are not true in the Dylan and Vic situations.

Oh, yeah, I in no way doubt what Justin is stating here, the weird fallout is in the fact that his name was maliciously inserted into a vigilante spreadsheet being circulated as a result of the Hazukari situation.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, yeah, I in no way doubt what Justin is stating here, the weird fallout is in the fact that his name was maliciously inserted into a vigilante spreadsheet being circulated as a result of the Hazukari situation.

The weird thing about that is the person apparently responsible for his name being submitted there is the same person who kicked off the accusations against Andy Signore at Honest Film Trailers a few years ago. (And yes obviously she wasn't alone on that - not calling out a scam on that front).

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
This Vic situation just seems to get worse every time I check in on it. Not only are the revelations of him being a cop absolutely bone-chilling, but in the last week or so I've read many (private) accounts from friends of mine that are pretty big into the anime con scene and I haven't been able to sit at peace since.

Everyone that has the strength to come forward and publicly relay their own accounts should be lauded for their bravery.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've spent the last week surrounded by Vic defenders so this thread is a nice little beacon of sanity.

I hope he gets dropped from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure too; I'd like to support the dub but not while he's still a prominent cast member.
They're probably close to (if not completely) done with the dub internally at this point. The best we can hope for right now is Rohan being recast for the OVA (& maybe the Blu-Ray release of Part 4 if we shoot for the stars).

Believe me, I want Vic gone just as much as you. But I'm not sure VIZ Media & Bang Zoom can do much about Rohan at this point. At the very least, they'll likely drop Vic like a rock after Part 4 is done.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the kind words. The hate group thrown at me from YellowFlash has made me question if this was the right thing to be pursuing. I'm hoping they're just the loud, angry mob. I've had so many people (industry included) approach me to tell me their stories in private and anonymously, so I have to assume that they feel like this is finally the right time. Never did I dream last month that this was actually gonna be the time that something was going to actually be done about it. I sincerely thought that this would be just like all the other times I was privy to those conversations where we'd all sit around the campfire and tell our Vic stories over dinner and then nothing would ever change. I'm shocked we're here right now.

I also just want to thank you for your work in both this and change the channel!

Jan 21, 2019
United Kingdom
They're probably close to (if not completely) done with the dub internally at this point. The best we can hope for right now is Rohan being recast for the OVA (& maybe the Blu-Ray release of Part 4 if we shoot for the stars).

Believe me, I want Vic gone just as much as you. But I'm not sure VIZ Media & Bang Zoom can do much about Rohan at this point. At the very least, they'll likely drop Vic like a rock after Part 4 is done.
It's likely they already recorded these lines. I hope they could redub it for bluray releases.

I'm primarily thinking to the future. I know full well he wouldn't get suddenly axed from Part 4 (sadly), but I'd be fine with him never appearing in future JJBA works. Granted, I'd be comfortable with him getting axed from everything, but the world isn't nearly that harsh towards predators I guess.

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA
I also just want to thank you for your work in both this and change the channel!
Thank you. That situation was much more personal (and keeps getting dragged up with a slew of misinformation throughout all of this thanks in part to our good-old ex-comicgate women-in-comics-stabbing YellowFlash), and it was never my intention to jump into anything even remotely similar to the Channel Awesome nonsense ever again. I mean, believe me, who really wants a repeat of that? But I guess when it all comes down to it, in both instances, it's experiences of a couple people doing bad things butting heads against everybody else who is having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that their favorite famous person is not such a great person after all. It's painful, and it sucks. To an extend, I get why everybody is flipping out. But then... Well, I guess I never latched onto the idea of celebrity that hard, so I can only understand so much.

Tangentially, I went to the Hollywood premiere of Pacific Rim 2 last year and was in the crowd as the stars of the film walked up to the red carpet. And the insanity of people throwing themselves at the celebrities from across the barricade to shove things to have them autograph in their faces was one of the most panic-inducing things I have ever participated in. The cult of celebrity is a real thing. And if anybody thinks I am ever doing anything "for fame" or "for attention", Jesus Christ, please no. People be crazy, yo.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This person is trying to say dubs like tails having a child of the producer as a VA is a good thing... I have never heard anyone liking tails voice in the Dreamcast games.
Tails by far has the worst VA of the Sonic Adventure games, and that's saying something. It was even worse in Heroes.

Thankfully when 4Kids took over they had a woman play him, and that has carried on through the series even after they switched casts again. He sounds a little girly at times but at least they can act.

(Not to rag on the kids, but maybe should have gone with someone with more experience?)

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tails by far has the worst VA of the Sonic Adventure games, and that's saying something. It was even worse in Heroes.

Thankfully when 4Kids took over they had a woman play him, and that has carried on through the series even after they switched casts again. He sounds a little girly at times but at least they can act.

(Not to rag on the kids, but maybe should have gone with someone with more experience?)
This is why I'm a Tails hater. I grew up with Adventure 2 so I can't stand him.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm primarily thinking to the future. I know full well he wouldn't get suddenly axed from Part 4 (sadly), but I'd be fine with him never appearing in future JJBA works. Granted, I'd be comfortable with him getting axed from everything, but the world isn't nearly that harsh towards predators I guess.
Silver lining, he'll probably be axed from the OVA if they dub it.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. That situation was much more personal (and keeps getting dragged up with a slew of misinformation throughout all of this thanks in part to our good-old ex-comicgate women-in-comics-stabbing YellowFlash), and it was never my intention to jump into anything even remotely similar to the Channel Awesome nonsense ever again. I mean, believe me, who really wants a repeat of that? But I guess when it all comes down to it, in both instances, it's experiences of a couple people doing bad things butting heads against everybody else who is having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that their favorite famous person is not such a great person after all. It's painful, and it sucks. To an extend, I get why everybody is flipping out. But then... Well, I guess I never latched onto the idea of celebrity that hard, so I can only understand so much.

Tangentially, I went to the Hollywood premiere of Pacific Rim 2 last year and was in the crowd as the stars of the film walked up to the red carpet. And the insanity of people throwing themselves at the celebrities from across the barricade to shove things to have them autograph in their faces was one of the most panic-inducing things I have ever participated in. The cult of celebrity is a real thing. And if anybody thinks I am ever doing anything "for fame" or "for attention", Jesus Christ, please no. People be crazy, yo.

Your welcome, and yeah seeing the backlash all of you got (and sadly likely still get) the last time I don't see how anyone could claim your doing it for fame. Even I was admittedly hesitant to open this topic originally as a fan of the FMA dub but seeing you name made me pay attention to it and read into it when I felt I was ready. I wish I could be as strong as all the woman and men coming forward during all of this despite the shit bags. I tend to stay silent in these topics because of something I've experienced before but just wanted to at least lend a voice of support when I saw your still posting here. So again thank you Marzgurl!

Amishpriest

Oct 26, 2017
Dylan had a lot of ins - or at least managed to project the illusion of having a lot of ins - with a lot of different groups within the anime community, particularly amongst those who frequented particularly the East coast US cons. I mean, I'm relatively antisocial, and I'm pretty sure I've met him at least once, and could probably draw a line between myself and him with only a couple of steps through at least two distinct friend groups. I suspect a lot of folks just seemed to assume he was OK due to some of the crowds he seemed hang around with, despite the state his Twitter seemed to descend into whenever he was particularly drunk.

I can't recall ever having met him, despite having been going to Otakon for years now. Maybe he never left an impression on me...probably for the best.