• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I saw that thread but I didn't see that reply. Which is comically absurd when a site like wizardchan literally takes its name from a Japanese meme

that's less a japan thing and more a weeb thing. But the real thing is that even if these collectives as we know them don't exist in japan, the ideologies definitely do

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Just read up on Shield Hero. WHAT THE FUCK. That's disgusting... I even read deeper and found out that the women that accused the main character is later renamed "Bitch/Slut/Whore" and is sold into slavery where she is raped, mutilated, and ultimately killed. This is beyond fucked, how could Crunchyroll and Funimation agree to this series?

What's worse is it seems like people defend it by saying "The author is a woman, so it's not misogynistic!" Nevermind the fact no one knows that for a fact and are basing it entirely on pen-name that could be feminine, that still isn't how that works!
The Wikipedia summary sounded like a goddamn parody of wish-fulfilment isekai, to the point where I was sure it couldn't be as bad as it sounded.

But good god at that plot point. And holy shit does it make that tweet waaaaay more horrifying. Like, ok, maaaaybeee, like, tiny possibility, the show actually isn't as toxic as everything I'm hearing about it makes it sound. As much as I feel it's probably not gonna secretly be actually handled well I would be an asshole to condemn a show I haven't actually researched more than the Wikipedia page. But when you have people weaponising a show like that in order to attack victims of sexual harassment, you really start to see exactly what a real, tangible, awful effect shows with that kind of outlook on women can have.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
that's less a japan thing and more a weeb thing. But the real thing is that even if these collectives as we know them don't exist in japan, the ideologies definitely do

Right. I mean less in the sense that wizardchan is a Japanese site and more that there is a definite subculture in Japan that incel groups are patterning themselves after

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

There are also related concepts that exist in Japan that don't necessarily exist here. For example, the demonization of "herbivore men". The underlying sentiment is the same even if the language and the groups are distinct.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
The Wikipedia summary sounded like a goddamn parody of wish-fulfilment isekai, to the point where I was sure it couldn't be as bad as it sounded.

But good god at that plot point. And holy shit does it make that tweet waaaaay more horrifying. Like, ok, maaaaybeee, like, tiny possibility, the show actually isn't as toxic as everything I'm hearing about it makes it sound. As much as I feel it's probably not gonna secretly be actually handled well I would be an asshole to condemn a show I haven't actually researched more than the Wikipedia page. But when you have people weaponising a show like that in order to attack victims of sexual harassment, you really start to see exactly what a real, tangible, awful effect shows with that kind of outlook on women can have.
From what I hear, the first arc or so isn't as bad if you get past the awful premise in terms of a protagonist trying to be decent, but then it just goes of the rails with things like him not freeing the slave he bought to help liberate and her coming to love him, and then the rest of it.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, out of curiosity, I read up on Shield Hero...good god, do I regret it, this plot sounds awful and that reference is even worse.

Who okays this crap?

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear, the first arc or so isn't as bad if you get past the awful premise in terms of a protagonist trying to be decent, but then it just goes of the rails with things like him not freeing the slave he bought to help liberate and her coming to love him, and then the rest of it.

No it's all bad. The premise is the premise. You literally can't remove it from the show or "get past it". It's part and parcel of the work; the top-down from which everything else flows. Don't fall for the "not so bad" shit. That's only said by people who don't care and want to make you watch a thing they like regardless of the validity of your opinions.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, there's also the author making one of the rival characters have ptsd, after also being betrayed by the same princess character, were he can only see and hear women as literal pigs.

Again, fuck this series.

Last edited:

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
No it's all bad. The premise is the premise. You literally can't remove it from the show or "get past it". It's part and parcel of the work; the top-down from which everything else flows. Don't fall for the "not so bad" shit. That's only said by people who don't care and want to make you watch a thing they like regardless of the validity of your opinions.
Tbh even the people who have said that to me don't recommend it to me and say its awful, so no likelihood there.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh even the people who have said that to me don't recommend it to me and say its awful, so no likelihood there.

Okay. I've just seen people trying to say "well it's okay if you ignore the fundamental building blocks of everything we're seeing" and it's just so transparent sometimes. lol

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
God the more I hear and think about it the more bone-chilling that tweet becomes. I know it's just one asshole in a sea of noise but it's so goddamn evil and dehumanising I just can't get past it.

I keep forgetting just how fucked up certain parts of the anime fandom are, and that for all the people I see rolling their eyes at these dumb shows, there's a large group of people watching that stuff and internalising the things they're seeing and shaping their worldview around it.

The companies localising this stuff really need to take a moment to reevaluate if they really want to promote it.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God the more I hear and think about it the more bone-chilling that tweet becomes. I know it's just one asshole in a sea of noise but it's so goddamn evil and dehumanising I just can't get past it.

I keep forgetting just how fucked up certain parts of the anime fandom are, and that for all the people I see rolling their eyes at these dumb shows, there's a large group of people watching that stuff and internalising the things they're seeing and shaping their worldview around it.

The companies localising this stuff really need to take a moment to reevaluate if they really want to promote it.

If it were just localization I'd probably be kinder about it with regards to the sites making it avaliable legally. But Crunchyroll isn't just localizing Shield Hero. They're co-producing it-- meaning, they're, in some part, directly responsible for the anime's existance.

And by "they" I mean the bigwigs, not the random employees forced to promote it.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
If it were just localization I'd probably be kinder about it with regards to the sites making it avaliable legally. But Crunchyroll isn't just localizing Shield Hero. They're co-producing it-- meaning, they're, in some part, directly responsible for the anime's existance.

And by "they" I mean the bigwigs, not the random employees forced to promote it.
It goes further, with the whole thing apparently being Crunchyroll's suggestion in the first place. They actively pursued this one in every conceivable way.

Source: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...ing-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
If it were just localization I'd probably be kinder about it. But Crunchyroll isn't just localizing Shield Hero. They're co-producing it-- meaning, they're, in some part, directly responsible for the anime's existance.

Fucking hell.

I can't see how any company could read that synopsis and think "yes, that's something we should get in on!"

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It goes further, with the whole thing apparently being Crunchyroll's suggestion in the first place. They actively pursued this one in every conceivable way.
giphy.gif

Pandering to incels.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Yeah I've seen some Monica/girl from Shield Hero comparisons for a while. I knew the premise, but had no idea it got that bad. Has that stuff actually happened in the anime yet? The general defense I hear is "Oh that was just the web manga, the light novel is totally different and so could the anime!" I'm glad Funimation passed on actually dubbing it. There was speculation that even Bang Zoom had trouble finding actors comfortable with the dialog hence the delay with the dub.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've seen some Monica/girl from Shield Hero comparisons for a while. I knew the premise, but had no idea it got that bad. Has that stuff actually happened in the anime yet? The general defense I hear is "Oh that was just the web manga, the light novel is totally different and so could the anime!" I'm glad Funimation passed on actually dubbing it. There was speculation that even Bang Zoom had trouble finding actors comfortable with the dialog hence the delay with the dub.

The defenders are lying to your face. They only make arguments they want you to buy. They don't believe any of it.

Last edited:

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Welp. I had been thinking of getting a Crunchyroll subscription lately, but fuuuck that noise.
Too late for me: I was just charged on my new subscription I made so I could watch The Promised Neverland. Heavily considering cancelling that now.
Unfortunately Crunchyroll's exclusive rights make it so you have to buy in or not have legal access to probably 80% of shows currently airing at all. And yeah, I'm currently watching three shows Crunchyroll has exclusive rights for.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017

Source: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...ing-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo
Welp. Guess I'll never re-up my Crunchyroll sub. If Funimation doesn't take care of Vic I'll need to cancel my sub. Dunno how I'd watch anime by that point, guess I'd just need to give up on the genre. Haven't really enjoyed anime in the last 15 years, anyways.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
You can probably just get the title changed. This thread has a lot of context that'll just need reiterating of a new thread is made.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Good. Hopefully on the Broly home release he is recast.
I seriously doubt they'll re-dub the home release for the Broly movie. Whether they do or not Vic will most likely be contractually entitled to any residuals that are in the contract (Unless he was paid a flat fee and that's it) so Funimation end up paying out twice and Vic still gets the money.