• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not su
Some of the more fascinating conspiracy theories I've seen about this pop up recently is that somehow the kickvic movement is begging Vic not to sue. Also that kickvic is being paid by Funimation and that it's a giant coordinated effort between Funimation and the community... because that's somehow more believable than Vic being a serial harasser.
Of course why would Funimation give a shit about a voice actor whose most relevant role is a character that screams a lot and doesn't have much besides that

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not su

Of course why would Funimation give a shit about a voice actor whose most relevant role is a character that screams a lot and doesn't have much besides that
First they said that it was because Broly was so successful and people were jealous, now it's that Funimation wanted him out for some reason? Oh, and also Monica Rial got him fired and took all his jobs... all 3(?) VA jobs and the non-existent directing/management positions he held.

It's just a carnival of stupid mostly being perpetuated by the alt-right/gamergate/comicsgate/incel crowd that swooped in and the actual Vic defenders that are still there are falling for it.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
First they said that it was because Broly was so successful and people were jealous, now it's that Funimation wanted him out for some reason? Oh, and also Monica Rial got him fired and took all his jobs... all 3(?) VA jobs and the non-existent directing/management positions he held.

It's just a carnival of stupid mostly being perpetuated by the alt-right/gamergate/comicsgate/incel crowd that swooped in and the actual Vic defenders that are still there are falling for it.

Don't forget it being a liberal conspiracy against a Christian conservative. Totally makes sense when considering Funimation's ties to Rick Santorum and how other conservative VAs (Duncan Brannan) work with the company with zero issue.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Both of those predate the Alt Right, by quite a lot. Using that as proof is a stretch and more

Dude... "cuck" as the actual literal fetish thing existed before that, sure.

But anyone throwing that around outside of that is... what, a channer at best? That's certainly a thing you can judge someone for.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Both of those predate the Alt Right, by quite a lot. Using that as proof is a stretch and more

Even if a person using the word "thot" isn't alt-right, they're still someone who uses the word "thot". That says a lot about them in itself.

"Cuck" is an abbreviation of a word that's a couple hundreds of years old, and it's probably most popular with people who want to regress a couple hundred years.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Even if a person using the word "thot" isn't alt-right, they're still someone who uses the word "thot". That says a lot about them in itself.

"Cuck" is an abbreviation of a word that's a couple hundreds of years old, and it's probably most popular with people who want to regress a couple hundred years.
I always raise an eyebrow when I see someone use "begone thot". That's when you know.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Thot is an alt-right term? I've seen it used by distinctly not alt-right people on twitter, so I assumed it was just a slang term for women.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thot is an alt-right term? I've seen it used by distinctly not alt-right people on twitter, so I assumed it was just a slang term for women.

"Thot" is short for "that ho over there" (I've also seen "thirsty ho over there" more recently). "Ho" is short for "whore".

If you call someone a thot, you're calling them a whore.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
"Thot" is short for "that ho over there" (I've also seen "thirsty ho over there" more recently). "Ho" is short for "whore".

I mean, yeah, but again, slang can make that it an acceptable term in context, the same way people can refer to themselves or others as bitches or fuckboys or ho's without being truly insulting.

Also, if that's what it's abbreviation for, I take issue with the grammar of "Begone Thirsty Ho Over There". If she's already "over there" then she is away from you, so why are you telling her to begone further?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yeah, but again, slang can make that it an acceptable term in context, the same way people can refer to themselves or others as bitches or fuckboys or ho's without being truly insulting.

Also, if that's what it's abbreviation for, I take issue with the grammar of "Begone Thirsty Ho Over There"

The grammar works because they're using "begone thot" the same way they'd use "begone whore".

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Also, if that's what it's abbreviation for, I take issue with the grammar of "Begone Thirsty Ho Over There". If she's already "over there" then she is away from you, so why are you telling her to begone further?

It's more a colloquialism than an abbreviation. It's become its own word, which, as Thammy said, basically just means "whore".

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thot isn't an alt-right term as much as it's a term that assholes use.

So naturally, a lot of overlap.

Yeah, that's kind of the thing here. The alt-right may be the loudest about it, but that's just because they're organized. They don't have a monopoly on misogyny (or on racism, or antisemitism, and all those other nasty things).

Slatsunus

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, that's kind of the thing here. The alt-right may be the loudest about it, but that's just because they're organized. They don't have a monopoly on misogyny (or on racism, or antisemitism, and all those other nasty things).
Or people who just use slang. Like the entire reason I brought it up was because I have LGBT girl friends on twitter who call each other/ themselves/ certain sexy cosplays they make etc that. And having them lumped in with Alt right is bleehhhh.

Not that it really matters for this thread specifically

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA

Funny enough, when I first saw it (namely the "begone thot" meme), I saw it used as a reaction to having intrusive thoughts, a problem people with ocd and anxiety like me have. Later I found out the meaning and was disappointed :/

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Eh a lot of people I know use cuck ironically to make fun of people who do use it, and who are definitely far from being on the right. Sort of like how a lot of LGBT people (myself included) have used "haha gay" among each other to make fun of people who tried to use gay as an insult, but actually mean it positively. Not an exact comparison but still...

Thot is definitely a gross ass term though, fuck that shit.

Also lmao the idiots are pulling out the Rick Santorum connection now like... what? What sort of fucking mental gymnastics? You do realize Funi didn't cut ties with Vic until after Fukunaga left a decision making role, right?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough, when I first saw it (namely the "begone thot" meme), I saw it used as a reaction to having intrusive thoughts, a problem people with ocd and anxiety like me have. Later I found out the meaning and was disappointed :/

I feel you, brother. I could use some thought begone right about now.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017

I've been using Begone Thought as my handle elsewhere because I'm pretty mad it doesn't mean that.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I too thought it was "Begone thought" because I first heard it for awhile only spoken by a streamer who I watched a lot named RetroGaijin, who I stopped watching after multiple transphobic moments. When I saw it typed as "thot" that prompted a google search and... yeah.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's not the first time the alt right has appropriated slang. They saw the term "based", which describes someone who's very chill and doesn't let small things bother them, and misinterpreted it to just mean someone who's awesome.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wait wtf based as a term for awesome has been in GAF/ERA for a long ass time.

You're telling me it's an alt right term now?
Go back to GamerGate and that's when it first started spreading in the geekosphere. It was part of a package of language for them to group themselves around. Since then it's just been normalized as a severely cringey geek term.

Oct 25, 2017
Go back to GamerGate and that's when it first started spreading in the geekosphere. It was part of a package of language for them to group themselves around. Since then it's just been normalized as an embarrassing geek term.
Based as an adjective was popularized by Lil B, and thot is Chicago slang. Why is it that black slang ends up being turned into alt right crap multiple times?

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Based as an adjective was popularized by Lil B, and thot is Chicago slang. Why is it that black slang ends up being turned into alt right crap multiple times?
Thot entered (and left) the teenage white girl lexicon several years ago. Black slang filters through them before being misinterpreted and picked up by awkward guys.

(As a parent I constantly have to explain current slang to my non-parent siblings.)

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'd seen "thot" used... ironically? in the same way "bitch" has been. An instance of slang from black and/or queer communities being taken outside of it (and of course some such terms were taken by the latter from the former to begin with).

But that was a while ago and like... now it's just been used almost like a fucking meme by these people. Even if they don't actually use it as a direct insult you'll see it thrown around.

anyway point here is your LGBTQ friends using words directed at themselves is very different than some random anime YouTuber/internet poster throwing them around

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I've only been halfway following this story (I mainly just pop in here every couple days to see if there's any new developments), but out of curiosity, I decided to search Vic's name on YouTube.

Nothing but conspiracy shit. Jesus. Is it really so hard to believe dude just might be a creep? He's just a voice actor in some cartoons, yet people still believe he's so important that people have formed a secret cabal to take him down.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I've only been halfway following this story (I mainly just pop in here every couple days to see if there's any new developments), but out of curiosity, I decided to search Vic's name on YouTube.

Nothing but conspiracy shit. Jesus. Is it really so hard to believe dude just might be a creep? He's just a voice actor in some cartoons, yet people still believe he's so important that people have formed a secret cabal to take him down.
Umm, don't you think that maybe nobody is coming out to defend him because they're scared of being harassed by these scary #KickVic people

Yes, that's an actual defense of Vic I've seen on Twitter

MarzGurl

Jan 23, 2019
Long Beach, CA

This is what frustrates me. Almost nobody is making videos to counter any of that. Not that I blame them. The second anyone has tried, they all get swarmed by the conspiracy theorists and downvoted and negative commented into oblivion. But, like, I feel like somebody should fight it. At this point, it can't be me. Even if I ever considered it, I'm already big enough of a target, and I have no desire to monetize this drama. And it'd just feed into their narrative that I "did everything to boost my failing YouTube channel". Which, obviously, I haven't, 'cause in this whole past month I've never made a single video on the topic.

I just wish somebody would.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is what frustrates me. Almost nobody is making videos to counter any of that. Not that I blame them. The second anyone has tried, they all get swarmed by the conspiracy theorists and downvoted and negative commented into oblivion. But, like, I feel like somebody should fight it. At this point, it can't be me. Even if I ever considered it, I'm already big enough of a target, and I have no desire to monetize this drama. And it'd just feed into their narrative that I "did everything to boost my failing YouTube channel". Which, obviously, I haven't, 'cause in this whole past month I've never made a single video on the topic.

Sean Schemmel nor Chris Sabat could change their minds, I don't think some random YouTube video would. The #IStandWithVic people think that, because Chris Sabat gently hugged a few people at a convention that it's evidence of him being gross like Vic or a hypocrite or something. You can't convince them.

Keep posting your regular videos! Don't let these shitheels bully you into hiding!

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017

I feel you. It was a little weird to see how these dudes have near total control of the conversation on one of the biggest platforms.

However, don't feel bad about not taking on the responsibility to try and stem the tide. That's a lot to put on anyone. Just keep making your content. I'm positive people will start stepping up eventually.

I don't keep up with the anime community much. How often do these sorts of issues come up and need to be addressed? I know harassment of cosplayers has always been a thing (sadly), but this seems to be the first high profile case.

Umm, don't you think that maybe nobody is coming out to defend him because they're scared of being harassed by these scary #KickVic people

Yes, that's an actual defense of Vic I've seen on Twitter
Of course. These guys are always the victims in their minds.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Why did nobody tell me arguing with these Vic stans on Twitter would be so addictive

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
You know it's funny that people have this idea of places like tumblr as this incredibly left leaning liberal echo chamber, but whenever it comes to slightly niche interests like this where only a very targeted demographic is going to be looking at the tag it instantly becomes overrun with the same creeps you find all over twitter. Vic's tag on tumblr is just endless post after post after post of those same youtube videos and people with wild conspiracy theories saying they can't wait for Vic to win in court.

They really seem to think he's actually going to take shit to court.

People have no idea how expensive that shit is, especially to just embarrass yourself and lose. If he still had a shot at being hired by anyone anywhere, demonstrating that you're eager to take your former employer or coworker to court is the fastest way to never get a job anywhere in entertainment ever again. It's almost comical if it wasn't so horrific.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I said it before in this thread, but Vic taking this to court is probably the last thing he wants to do.