• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Not that all their children were innocent actors in this scam but what really annoys me is that the parents were doing it serve their own ego. It's not about giving their children a leg up in the world or even a proper education because really, they were set for life long before this. It's about saying your kid went to college.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Lmao who the fuck needs to cheat to get into USC?

Can someone explain why people in this thread have this idea that USC is an easy school to just waltz into. The acceptance rate for that school is less than 20% and they get a shit ton of applicants every year.

So what was the plan once they got in? They were kinda idiots so were the bribes also to get them good grades? Or are they just tanking all their classes?

At a lot of prestigious schools its actually harder to get in than it is to graduate with a degree from the university. Its due to grade inflation. An upper echelon school not only wants to say they attract the best students but they also graduate the best students. Its why a school like Harvard has a 98% graduation rate. Ive met and gone to school with kids at those prestigious universities and also kids who went to the state public school and ill tell you, there isnt that big of a difference talent wise in the kids. The school i graduated from didnt give a damn about grade inflation so while other schools had a grade replacement program where if you took a class a second or third time the best grade was what showed on your record, at my school they just averaged them all together so if you screwed up one semester it hangs around your neck forever.

Last edited:

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
Honestly, just make a rich kids school with accredited staff and teach said rich kids until they earn their degrees, even if it takes them longer to do so. Give them good tutors, expand resources available for them, etc

If the parents can afford it, just do that. Why would you need to go the illegal route :\

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Honestly, just make a rich kids school with accredited staff and teach said rich kids until they earn their degrees, even if it takes them longer to do so. Give them good tutors, expand resources available for them, etc

If the parents can afford it, just do that. Why would you need to go the illegal route :\
Well that's what the Ivy League schools are and ones ranked in the top 25 where people scoff at any school ranked below that.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I would bribe my kids into whatever program i could afford. No offense to these imaginary kids, but why the hell not

Because your kids are stupid and that money could be used for something better.
Hell just give the kids the money and start a business or whatever.

Note. The kids in question are in the college but dont really go to college.
They leave pretty much just as dumb as they were getting in.
So thats the Bribe + Tuition costs + time to have the exact same product.

Also using your money to steal the spot of someone better qualified is pretty fucking shitty.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Not all that long ago, USC was a fairly easy school to get into.

Fairly easy for someone who is serious about their education, not the general population. Im seeing posts in here like "Oh all you have to do is be in the top 5% of your class and maintain a 3.** gpa, thats not hard at all. Well your sentence just said 95% of the class wouldnt get in, so i wouldnt say that its easy to get into the school.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny that some are bothered that the Feds had their guns out during the arrest. I'm sure these actresses dissed BlackLivesMatter at some point, now they know what over policing feels like for a day.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Is it that easy to falsify ethnicity on an application and not get caught? I assumed there was at least some vetting done.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Fairly easy for someone who is serious about their education, not the general population. Im seeing posts in here like "Oh all you have to do is be in the top 5% of your class and maintain a 3.** gpa, thats not hard at all. Well your sentence just said 95% of the class wouldnt get in, so i wouldnt say that its easy to get into the school.

Hahahaha I dont think enough people thought their "its easy" posts.

I would bribe my kids into whatever program i could afford. No offense to these imaginary kids, but why the hell not
Outside of the fact that you're in a thread about parents doing the same thing and getting arrested, why on Earth would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars shipping your underachieving kid off to a school they can't handle? You might as well cut out the middleman and just have them live off your teet instead of buying away seats from students who actually give a fuck.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Outside of the fact that you're in a thread about parents doing the same thing and getting arrested, why on Earth would you spend hundreds of thousands of dollars shipping your underachieving kid off to a school they can't handle? You might as well cut out the middleman and just have them live off your teet instead of buying away seats from students who actually give a fuck.

Universities ensure athletes and wealthy students graduate.

Fergie

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
England m8.

20cpqX8.gif

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Is it that easy to falsify ethnicity on an application and not get caught? I assumed there was at least some vetting done.

There was a recent news story/report about this (and I might be getting my facts wrong) but they said that a lot of this was based on the honor system....even though they do investigate things.

Oct 27, 2017

You just invented Yale.

Oct 29, 2017
I find it funny that some are bothered that the Feds had their guns out during the arrest. I'm sure these actresses dissed BlackLivesMatter at some point, now they know what over policing feels like for a day.

Yeah people who think it's inappropriate need to examine why they think that. Is it because the suspects were rich? white? live in a mansion? -- Which element of that makes it impossible for them to react violently to this situation?

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
since this broke i've seen a few children of privilege reflecting on their own experiences with access to education on twitter:

a casual reminder that lots of upper middle class parents (perfectly legally) improve their kids' SAT scores by paying tutors to teach them to game the system. mine did. my math score jumped almost 200 points, which i promise reflected no similar increase in my command of *math*

without that systemic leg up, i doubt i would have gotten into yale, from which i graduated with honors etc. i was exactly the same applicant pre & post tutoring. i just looked different on paper. well aware most of my peers' families could not afford to give them that advantage.

Having a dad whose name can get you into college is nice but having a mother as wonderfully supportive and sweet as @jeramiedreyfuss is way better

the screenshot of his convo with his mom where she swears up and down that he got into college on his own merits really illustrates the divide between generations and how we reckon with the concept of privilege.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is full of geniuses like Taki, I mean haven't you seen his wonderful threads?

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

How would you vet it or verify it? You send in a photo and then someone makes a call on whether or not you "look" like the ethnicity you listed on the application?

It's done based on the honor system since there really isn't a good way to verify ethnicity that could be applied to all the applicants these schools receive.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You just KNOW there are some sweating parents retaining attorneys at this very moment once the whole house of cards is shown and falls down. 800 families?!! Man, I'm betting there will be some big names to drop!

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
the screenshot of his convo with his mom where she swears up and down that he got into college on his own merits really illustrates the divide between generations and how we reckon with the concept of privilege.
Yeah, I go through with similar convos with my mom. I did work hard in high school and college but there is still a level of privilege there. A lot of people have to work a lot harder.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
How would you vet it or verify it? You send in a photo and then someone makes a call on whether or not you "look" like the ethnicity you listed on the application?

It's done based on the honor system since there really isn't a good way to verify ethnicity that could be applied to all the applicants these schools receive.

Considering how large a part this plays into admission, I'm just surprised there's not some kind of, I dunno, check in cases where ethnicity benefits the applicant. Like if you're applying to a UC school and you're Asian, and you put that you're black, they just take that at face value?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The SAT convo hits hard because i struggled so much with SATs. I got As in all my math courses. i got As or A-s in all calculus courses all the way up to Calc IV differential equations.

My SAT math scores were pathetic. english was even worse. i just didnt get it. i took it three times too and even took an after school course. Having a tutor would have helped so much.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how large a part this plays into admission, I'm just surprised there's not some kind of, I dunno, check in cases where ethnicity benefits the applicant. Like if you're applying to a UC school and you're Asian, and you put that you're black, they just take that at face value?
What if you are but don't look it? How do they verify it anyway when most schools never do face to face?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The SAT convo hits hard because i struggled so much with SATs. I got As in all my math courses. i got As or A-s in all calculus courses all the way up to Calc IV differential equations.

My SAT math scores were pathetic. english was even worse. i just didnt get it. i took it three times too and even took an after school course. Having a tutor would have helped so much.

Yeah, they really need to revamp these standardized tests, because knowing how they're set up and the strategy to tackle the problems are a huge leg up.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What if you are but don't look it? How do they verify it anyway when most schools never do face to face?
And even if all schools did do in person interviews, you can't really get any info from just looking at someone.

Anyway, ethnicity is sometimes overblown on how it's looked at. Ultimately, the requirement is does the student have the ability to succeed in a given program or not. Different ethnicity reporting might result in additional outreach and touchpoints or even advertising for programming once on campus for additional transitional support. But in my role, we're not out there letting a minority or first generation student in just because. Even if they're borderline, things like involvement, course selection, etc. are viewed more closely relative to opportunities available at the school or family obligations, etc.

People who oppose affirmative action like to assume that minorities get in because of that regardless of their credentials and weaponize that narrative.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
so it's ok as long as you donate a building? I'm not necessarily against that if donations lead to better facilities that lets a university to take in more students but if you get something in return it isn't a donation anymore(and donations are tax-deductible right?) is it?

In the case of donations like that, the potential student still has to meet some minimum level of academic qualification, though they can score on the low end and still be accepted. It's slimy, but schools have to pay the bills somehow.

In the case of this scam, completely unqualified students were being admitted under totally fraudulent pretenses. Both are examples of rich white privilege run amok, but at least the former ensures that the admitted candidates are reasonably qualified - certainly more than the ones being shuffled in through the 'side door'.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

What if you look Asian but one of your parents was black?

What if you look Asian but one of your grandparents was black?

What percentage do you need to be in order to claim an ethnicity? 100%? 50%? Is 5% enough?

How would you even enforce these percentages? Requiring a genealogy test for everyone who lists themselves as a minority? Or just those who list themselves as a minority, but don't look it after you require them to send in a photo?

See why it would be so tricky. The university could do all of the above, which would require a ton of effort on their part as well as generating the headlines "University requires minorities to jump through hoops to prove they are minorities". And even after all that it wouldn't "prove" that anything about ethnicity. Or they can do the alternative, and rely on the honor system, which is what they currently do.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so it's ok as long as you donate a building? I'm not necessarily against that if donations lead to better facilities that lets a university to take in more students but if you get something in return it isn't a donation anymore(and donations are tax-deductible right?) is it?
For one, donations aren't a straight up garuantee of admission. They usually result in admission but if you donated to a school and they still denied your kid admission, you wouldnt have any recourse to sue the school.

Second, donations go to the entire university organization and the organization gets to decide what to do with the money. Most donations end up benefitting the student body as a whole, whether that's through more money for scholarships, new facilities, new or better programs, more staff, etc. Donating to get your kid admittance is kind of slimy, but it does a lot of good for the university so it's understandable why they do it.

This case involves rich people bribing individuals or cheating on admission forms to trick universities into granting admission, which does not benefit the university. That's why it's illegal and also why it's more of a problem.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
Why didnt Aunt Becky just donate a building?

Simple. Her kid is a dumbass. The more stupid the kid, the bigger the building.

Good grades + building= gets in

Bad grades + building= the uni gets a shiny new building but the kid doesnt get in. But thanks for your donation!

I read the kid's Instagram and it's obvious she's been a mediocre student and simply doesn't care since she found YouTube at age 14. It would have been too expensive if a kid has been floundering since middle school. And it was $500,000 for 2 kids, so 250k per kid, cheaper than a building.

Deleted member 9100

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Bad grades + building= the uni gets a shiny new building but the kid doesnt get in. But thanks for your donation!

I read the kid's Instagram and it's obvious she's been a mediocre student and simply doesn't care since she found YouTube at age 14. It would have been too expensive if a kid has been floundering since middle school. And it was $500,000 for 2 kids, so 250k per kid, cheaper than a building.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is all true but I find it hard to believe there isn't a single top school who would want to admit a potential student with a 2 million subscriber YouTube channel. The girl is already running a successful business, that's what makes this so mindboggling.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
What if you look Asian but one of your parents was black?

What if you look Asian but one of your grandparents was black?

What percentage do you need to be in order to claim an ethnicity? 100%? 50%? Is 5% enough?

How would you even enforce these percentages? Requiring a genealogy test for everyone who lists themselves as a minority? Or just those who list themselves as a minority, but don't look it after you require them to send in a photo?

See why it would be so tricky. The university could do all of the above, which would require a ton of effort on their part as well as generating the headlines "University requires minorities to jump through hoops to prove they are minorities". And even after all that it wouldn't "prove" that anything about ethnicity. Or they can do the alternative, and rely on the honor system, which is what they currently do.

Oh I understand it would be tricky, I'm just surprised that something that affects admissions is based almost entirely on the honor system. But I searched and I guess a lot of Asian kids just don't put anything under ethnicity. I've also read that you have to play the long con if you want to lie about it because if your ethnicity doesn't match what you put on your PSATs and SATs, that could be a red flag.