• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
k3wjourj4062lzfkufpd.png

WTF is this hand writing?
"He has not great writing."

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
https://www.teenvogue.com/story/the...disabled-people/amp?__twitter_impression=true

I'm not sure if this article has been linked but it does a good job framing the issue regarding folks faking disabilities to get accommodation. The tl;dr is if your knee jerk reaction to raise the burden of proof for those with disabilities that they "need" accommodations, disabled folks are the ones who are hurt most for something they didn't do.

My own experience with SAT is awful; I have three learning disabilities (autism, dysgraphia, and CAPD). You need a recent evaluation which not everyone has. You will be rejected and appealed. Only some of the accommodations will be approved. The entire process can take six months to a year *at least*. This is to say nothing of the test itself, but that's another discussion.

And no, you can't judge from academics. My high school GPA was high, but I went to a private school for autistic teenagers; a decision that was informed after my then public school pulled really shitty strategies to revoke my IEP plan because I was doing well academically despite literally crashing a year earlier. Once accessibility needs are met, folks with learning disabilities can do well; if you assume someone with a learning disability isn't doing well academically you're implicitly assuming no accessibility can meet learning disabilities or people with learning disabilities abuse accommodations and both interpretations are ableist af.

One reason I was able to get accommodations is because my school was aware of a lot of this bullshit, such as being rejected almost always. I can't get GRE accommodations because I can't get the recent evaluation because, well, poor grad student.

I bring this post up because I'm afraid a lot of ableds will take the wrong message from the fakers in these indicent and make an already broken system worse. :/

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I wonder who will play Lori in the Lifetime Movie about her being dropped from the Hallmark Channel because of the admissions scandal.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
You'd be dumb to believe even just these 40+ people are the only wealthy people who game the system and make it work for them at the expense of others. So many people including myself have to take on debt up to their eyeballs and live with it for years while individuals like these coast. The US is fucking broken and it's insulting and pathetic to say otherwise.

William Singer admitted "helping" up to 750 families with his scheme. It's alot more than 40 families and I would bet anything that the corruption didn't end at the enrollment phase. If one guy was able to find a bunch of corrupt people across multiple colleges to cheat enrollment, there's no way he would've stopped there. He would've found corrupt professors to change grades too.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they sent her a "You got fired but its not the end of the world" card with a cat next to a margarita.

Oct 27, 2017
Phil Mickelson paid Singer's company as well, but insists it wasn't a bribe and it was just for assistance through the application process. (His daughter subsequently got into Brown).

"We, along with thousands of other families, hired he and his company to help guide us through the college application process," Mickelson said. "We're as shocked as everyone the last few days."

"Our kids, schools are like fighting to get them," Mickelson said. "I say that as a proud dad. Their grades and outside activities and worldly beliefs are things that have colleges recruiting them. [Singer and his company] helped us through the whole process because it can be confusing."

Edge College & Career Network published a testimonial from Mickelson and his wife on its company website. Mickelson said it was a thank-you note his wife wrote to Singer for helping them with their children's academic careers.

Phil could use some help from Singer's SAT grammar experts.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Phil Mickelson paid Singer's company as well, but insists it wasn't a bribe and it was just for assistance through the application process. (His daughter subsequently got into Brown).

Phil could use some help from Singer's SAT grammar experts.

Amazing that these people need assistance with the college application process and there I was filling one out on my own at 16 years old.

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing that these people need assistance with the college application process and there I was filling one out on my own at 16 years old.
Phil's claim is that his children are so sought after by so many colleges that he needed help navigating the process of picking the appropriate school. Try not to roll your eyes too far into the back of your head.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Phil's claim is that his children are so sought after by so many colleges that he needed help navigating the process of picking the appropriate school. Try not to roll your eyes too far into the back of your head.

It should be relatively easy to unearth whether Phil paid into the fake charity, how much he paid into it, and what the admissions process was like for his kids (any fake sports, etc.) If he isn't clean he's an idiot to speak up about it right now.

Oct 27, 2017
It should be relatively easy to unearth whether Phil paid into the fake charity, how much he paid into it, and what the admissions process was like for his kids (any fake sports, etc.) If he isn't clean he's an idiot to speak up about it right now.
He spoke up about it because he was asked why his wife's quote appears on Singer's business' website praising their service.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I truly hope this continues. I want those 800 names to come out.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ all the shitty news about Lori Laughlin and her daughter on the last page of this thread. Fucking wow. Reap what you sow for rich white people for once.

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Joe Montana was also asked about his relationship with Singer:

Mr. Singer's company provided nothing more than minimal consulting services to our family, like so many other families, with the college application process. Fortunately our kids were able to pick from a number of schools to attend due to their hard work and their merit.

It's weird, I never found the application process to be all that confusing