• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 16, 2017
I actually don't mind rich people donating millions to universities to let their kids attend. Those millions allow poor students to be able to attend on scholarship or grants. It's a big reason why anyone that can get into Harvard, can attend Harvard regardless of economic factors.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I actually don't mind rich people donating millions to universities to let their kids attend. Those millions allow poor students to be able to attend on scholarship or grants. It's a big reason why anyone that can get into Harvard, can attend Harvard regardless of economic factors.

Sunny Hostin brought that up in the View clip posted earlier. If you fund a library to get your kid in college... Great! That's books or a building that no one would have had access to otherwise.

But to straight up commit fraud because you or your kid(s) don't want to go to a state school? Bullshit.

Last edited:

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
b/c she's a influencer

She's essentially became the Marie Antoinette of this saga lol

edit: What I'm confused about is - what does an influencer do? TYT did a small segment on her, and showed a brief clip of her explaining what she's doing but it came off as so vague as to be meaningless. I thought they just were popular people who marketed things but she didn't seem to be doing that.

Last edited:

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Great to hear that the FBI is also focusing their attention on these type of frauds. There is no defending this.

If your defense is; ''If it weren't for these bribes, your kid could not go to these fancy universities'' you can fuck right off.

It is about time rich people learn what it is to get the type of treatment normal people usually get.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Great to hear that the FBI is also focusing their attention on these type of frauds. There is no defending this.

If your defense is; ''If it weren't for these bribes, your kid could not go to these fancy universities'' you can fuck right off.

It is about time rich people learn what it is to get the type of treatment normal people usually get.

Thing is the colleges and universities are gonna get away with it scot free, or at least lay low until it blows over. It's a systematic corruption that's been going on for decades and it will continue in one form or another.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

Are you talking about this scandal or about donating a building as an alum to help get your kid in? This scandal is different, it's clearly fraud and the fake charitable organization is like the cherry on top. If it's getting in as a legacy and getting a second look because your parents are big donors, for private colleges I don't see a problem with that as long as they're not also bribing teachers and getting a leg up on other students, and as long as they meet the requirements to get in. Is it preferential treatment? Yes. The alternative is pricing it so high that only rich people can get in anyway (which is a point we're getting to but I digress). Public universities are a completely different thing.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Are you talking about this scandal or about donating a building as an alum to help get your kid in? This scandal is different, it's clearly fraud and the fake charitable organization is like the cherry on top. If it's getting in as a legacy and getting a second look because your parents are big donors, for private colleges I don't see a problem with that as long as they're not also bribing teachers and getting a leg up on other students, and as long as they meet the requirements to get in. Is it preferential treatment? Yes. The alternative is pricing it so high that only rich people can get in anyway (which is a point we're getting to but I digress). Public universities are a completely different thing.

The former since that is what this whole article is about.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The former since that is what this whole article is about.

Nobody is saying that these bribes to the coaches or athletic directors help their (I assume regular not rich) kids go to school. People are saying that the rich people donating directly to the school or buying buildings helps the other kids.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

It's obviously better to do appropriate taxation of the wealthy to get them to pay their fair share, but in the meantime, I'm fine with scamming them by making them pay for libraries and shit when private tutoring is a much cheaper way to get their kids into these schools.

We should do this with all rich people. Any time they want something, charge them 100 times extra and say "that's just how the world does it these days."* If rich people are literally doing the LucilleBluthBanana.gif about everything, just charge them that anyway and use the extra for public works.

*one of these parents was recorded saying just that. He thought everybody who went to college did this stuff. Just completely oblivious.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

edit: What I'm confused about is - what does an influencer do? TYT did a small segment on her, and showed a brief clip of her explaining what she's doing but it came off as so vague as to be meaningless. I thought they just were popular people who marketed things but she didn't seem to be doing that.

Capitalism really does create bullshit jobs...

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
so school officials are just all gonna get away with it scott free? Get to keep the bribe money as well I'm assuming?

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is saying that these bribes to the coaches or athletic directors help their (I assume regular not rich) kids go to school. People are saying that the rich people donating directly to the school or buying buildings helps the other kids.
Then donate to schools that could definitely use the fucking help

Oct 30, 2017

They pretty much nail this here. I saw this clip the other day.

Not only is getting your kids into elite schools about status and patting yourself on the back as a parent, it's much more.
It's about what you can get away with. It's about believing your kid belongs in the school more than other people regardless of merit.
Because if you hustle, you deserve more than other people.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017

An influencer is literally anybody attractive enough and/or rich enough and/or charismatic enough and/or white enough with an online presence that people follow. This can be a pretty girl on instagram, someone who does makeup tutorials on Youtube, or someone who streams games on Twitch. There's a wide range of influencers out there that companies are very, very interested in paying to shill their products.

You can think this girl is annoying, vapid and useless, but if you support people streaming games as entertainment it's basically the same thing, you're just not in the target demographic for the kinds of lifestyle videos she produces.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, going to be strange watching hallmark channel Christmas movies this year without Lori.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, they really need to revamp these standardized tests, because knowing how they're set up and the strategy to tackle the problems are a huge leg up.

In Canada their is no entrance exam for University. They just take the average of your final highschool year's grades. And its not like top level Canadian Univesities are easy to get into. It's not uncommon for McMaster for example to turn down students who later go on to ivy league Schools

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
An influencer is literally anybody attractive enough and/or rich enough and/or charismatic enough and/or white enough with an online presence that people follow. This can be a pretty girl on instagram, someone who does makeup tutorials on Youtube, or someone who streams games on Twitch. There's a wide range of influencers out there that companies are very, very interested in paying to shill their products.

You can think this girl is annoying, vapid and useless, but if you support people streaming games as entertainment it's basically the same thing, you're just not in the target demographic for the kinds of lifestyle videos she produces.

Agreed.

Then this raises the question, what else is she doing? What what she was speaking of had nothing to do with influencing as you've described.

Oct 25, 2017

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Shiny Pokemon Hunter

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 5, 2019
Olivia was going there as a Communications major.

What's ironic is how successful she's already become as a YouTuber that it's been argued that she should have teaching instead lol