• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
They're now sourcing their Trump fan deep dives publicly.

Kanye West has faced a backlash from others in the black community for his support for President Trump, including a visit to the White House last week. We want to hear from our readers of color about their own experiences with having political views that don't align with what their community expects.

If you, like Kanye, are a person of color who supports the Trump administration and are feeling pressure or even hostility from your peers, tell us about it.

A reporter may contact you to hear more, or your submission may be selected for publication
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/14/reader-center/black-trump-voters-conservatives.html

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they saw the Alexa ranking of Clickhole go up and up and up and they got jealous

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
The only time they care for black opinions. Can't be anymore transparent.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Conservatives are the niggers of the world

How come you never hear about the increase in hate crimes? or hear about those victims?

Thunder

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You can be black and have conservative views and still not be on the same level as Kanye

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I too would like to hear about the minorities that want slavery to be legalized again

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Nyt is like...how can we get black folk to fight amongst themselves. Then Trump can bloviate about how he can "fix" our community.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
It would be nice if they were interested in hearing from literally anyone else other than the small percentage of Americans who will by their own admission never stop liking Trump
My previous post was more general, not on this topic specifically. Still, I think I'm missing something to understand the outrage here. We know the reasons not to like Trump, they're clear as the sky. Isn't their angle to hear from the hard-headed and try to find a way to counter their arguments?
No hostility, just looking for context.

Wondering why people like Trump isn't a "hard question," yet it's all NYT seems to care about. What good has come of it?
I can only assume, understanding the other side's talking points would make it easier to set the facts straight and change their minds. But that's just assumption.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
I have no issue with actual black conservatives. My problem is with the way being a black conservative is often used as a grift to impress white people, earn money/attention, etc. Candace Owens is a genuinely stupid person who doesn't have a grasp of even the most basic black political history....yet that's who gets put on a pedestal. It tells you everything you need to know about the motives at play.

I don't consider Kanye a black conservative. I doubt he gives a fuck about the balance of government and private markets, has much insight or interest in taxes, etc. There is no intellectual focus or basic thought at work here, this is moreso about celebrity, messaging, image, etc with a few random talking points mixed in.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What dumb fuck publications need to realise is most Black people probably are Conservative but do not vote Republican. They may as well put a piece as to why but they can fuck off with framing Kanye as a victim.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP loves Diamond and Silk, and told Micheal Steel he should not be offended because he was hired to be black friend.

MarkRJR

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to NYT? Were they always this awful or is this something post-election? I don't remember hearing about constant dumb stories like this a few years ago, yet now I see it often on Twitter and here.

Either way, it makes supporting the WP that much easier when the alternative (NYT) has turned to trash.

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Putting aside the article for a second, I never cared for this type of criticism. Hard questions are at the core of good discussions. Seems so narrow-minded.

"Just asking questions," references not asking questions in good faith.

Hard questions absolutely can lead to good discussions, when they're asked in good faith. This article, and conservative "skepticism" in general, are not asking questions in good faith.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
What happened to NYT? Were they always this awful or is this something post-election? I don't remember hearing about constant dumb stories like this a few years ago, yet now I see it constantly on Twitter and here.

Either way, it makes supporting the WP that much easier when the alternative (NYT) has turned to trash.
At one point i would say their op/ed was at war with their journalism side, but now I think they want those conservative eyes that will never read them because they been demonized for too long

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
A person of color supporting Trump is like a LGBT person voting for Bolsonero when he and his family outright said they are going to kill them all in Brazil.

You know exactly what you'll get with no blinders but you hope and pray you'll be seen as "one of the good ones". And you're the same refuse they see us all as. Most of my relatives are black conservatives but not one is or has ever voted or identified as Republican.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i'm guessing this is about half "we want that sweet conservative victim complex money" and half "white guys in positions of power who can't process that the republican party is a hate group are coping with their perpetual confusion at people around them treating the organization as fundamentally evil."

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
What dumb fuck publications need to realise is most Black people probably are Conservative but do not vote Republican. They may as well put a piece as to why but they can fuck off with framing Kanye as a victim.
A lot of minorities actually are socially conservatives. Probably much more so than a lot of whites. But the GOP platform and actions are so toxic to minorities that most of use wisened up quickly.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disturbing in hindsight how before the election, everyone thought Trump running for President was insane. Fast-forward to now and everyone is drinking that Kool-Aid.