• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City

Resident Evil 4 Remake - All Ada Wong Cutscenes (4K 60FPS) - YouTube

Lily Gao, Ada Wong's new voice actress* celebrated getting the role of the iconic character on Instagram, but her Instagram was getting bombarded with hate comments from rabid Ada fans this entire week since the launch of RE4 Remake, but it got out of hand a couple days ago when comments started getting incredibly mean and she deleted all of them and disabled her comment section.

Login • Instagram

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

I won't post those mean comments, but they were not constructive criticism (post that as a review or something, not tagging her/on her page!)
Some of the comments are among the lines of "you ruined our favorite character and now we'll ruin your career" and some of them would be borderline misogynistic/racist, which is ironic because Ada is an Asian female character...

We all love Ada but y'all this is wild. Stop this!

*CAPCOM replaced Jolene Anderson (Ada's RE2 Remake voice) with Lily because Jolene joined a Union and CAPCOM decided to go non-union as well as going on an initiative to hire actors of the same ethnicities as the characters - applicable for all of their games from here on out.

For more context on Liliy's performance as Ada, here's a piece written by Jade King on TheGamer:

Ada sounds almost bored half the time, her delivery seldom doing justice to her own feminine gravitas or the power she holds over those working with her. One-liners are dry and disinterested, as opposed to tongue-in-cheek, meaning big moments fans can't wait to hear land with a whimper. Ada is almost in a different world altogether, or doesn't express a campy irreverence in her femme fatale performance seen in other takes on the character. The end result is a beloved character who feels out of place, and this isn't something I hold against the actor, but perhaps the direction she was given or the role she was asked to inhabit that falls so far out of line with what we know and love.
Source

UPDATE 1:
Assholes have moved on to comment hate on her other posts, leading her to eradicate all of her posts which used to act as a resume of her TV and movie roles.

View: https://twitter.com/RuleTimeSpace/status/1642301041575350277?s=20

UPDATE 2:
A lot of major media outlets have picked up the story. Here are some:
FORBES
www.forbes.com

‘Resident Evil 4 Remake’ Ada Wong Actress Lily Gao Harassed Off The Internet By ‘Fans’

This time, it’s Resident Evil 4 Remake actress Lily Gao, who played Ada Wong in the new, highly rated remake. While her performance was criticized by some, that devolved into people heading to her Instagram to personally harass her, and as such, she deleted/hid all of her posts on the platform

KOTAKU
kotaku.com

Resident Evil 4 Remake Is Getting Review Bombed For The Worst Reasons [Update]

Fans argue that Ada Wong actress Lily Gao isn’t sufficiently sultry, and the game itself is somehow too “woke”

PC GAMER

PUSHSQUARE

EUROGAMER
www.eurogamer.net

Resident Evil 4 Remake actor deactivates Instagram comments after receiving thousands of critical messages

Resident Evil 4 Remake voice actor, Lily Gao, has closed her Instagram account to comments after receiving thousands of…

Additionally, "Ada Wong" and "Lily Gao" have been trending on Twitter with 10K+ tweets.

UPDATE 3:
Lily Gao breaks silence and responds, see threadmarks

Last edited:

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
I don't even see what the problem was in the first place, I thought she was fine. Even if she wasn't getting this worked up about it is pure manbaby behaviour.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
the saddest thing is that it doesnt even shock me anymore

it became so commonplace with capital g gamers that any time you hear about people disliking a new VA/model, you know its a matter of time before someone gets harassed over the dumbest shit

Oct 31, 2017
Unhinged weirdos on the internet aside is her performance genuinely bad or this is one of these "We just liked the previous voice actor more because we are used to it"?

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
So simply because she wasn't in the role of RE2R Ada, shitty people are hatebombing her for her role in RE4R? Pathetic wretches.

Rixam

Jan 2, 2023
Even if people don't like her performance it doesn't give them the right to be assholes

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
Gamers are terrible, who would have thought.

She's honestly not even that bad. Line delivery might be a bit flat, but that's how she might have been directed?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its because shes asian isnt it? resident evil gets vo changes all the time. i never noticed this much hate over re4 leon being replaced

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Ughh. People shouldn't go to actors and insult them even if they didn't like their performance. That's fucked up.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I had a feeling this was coming after I saw many streamers and their chats fixating on her voice. It seems like she wasn't directed very well, and I'm sure she could do better, but none of it excuses harassment regardless.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Jesus Christ. Leave it to gamers to turn what should be a simple matter of performance preference into a fucking harassment campaign.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
People suck. I'm nearing the end of the remake and I think the actress has been fine for the most part. The hate was definitely overblown even if the direction for her in this game does leave a few lines feeling a bit flat.

I just think Capcom directed Ada to be more detached as Leon doesn't trust her for most of the game so she has no reason to lay the seduction on thick like she did in the original. I still got the sense Ada genuinely cares about Leon even if she's acting a bit more professional.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Look at that. Gamers continue being disgusting people. Especially toward women and minorities. Can't expect anything good from them.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
When someone asks "why does race matter for a VA?", remind them that the moment the VA has to change and it is given to a non-white person, it's an uphill battle.

OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
It sucks all around because:
  • She already knows by now the fandom didn't like her take on the character, so the extra hate isn't gonna do anything
  • The quality of the recording of her lines are noticeably worse (mistake is 100% on production and not her fault) which is adding more fuel to the hate
  • Her Codec calls are fantastic and Ada-like but the mo-capped scenes she's a bit flat admittedly which makes me think most of the fault is on the VA/cinematics director
  • She was incredibly excited to be playing Ada, but I think she won't ever touch the role again which I guess mission accomplished by those "fans"...

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Unhinged weirdos on the internet aside is her performance genuinely bad or this is one of these "We just liked the previous voice actor more because we are used to it"?
All of the above and then some...there's some anti-union/scab worker element in the mix too.

Basically a perfect storm for someone to want to lock down their social media.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
I honestly actually enjoy her work for Ada. I feel it fits her character. I guess Im one of the weird one.
Pretty shitty she has to deal with awful people.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
sometimes (= all the time) I wonder how this special breed of capital G Gamers is able to breathe given how fucking stupid they are

Oct 31, 2017
its because shes asian isnt it? resident evil gets vo changes all the time. i never noticed this much hate over re4 leon being replaced
When someone asks "why does race matter for a VA?", remind them that the moment the VA has to change and it is given to a non-white person, it's an uphill battle.
Where does this assumption that people generally hate Asian voice actors even come from?
Notable anime voice actors are usually revered as some sort of minor deities by the community.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Ugh this sucks. The new VA doesn't deserve this at all, obviously.

I'm glad Capcom are also trying to hire more diverse VAs too, but it's still shitty to drop the previous VA because she decided to unionise, and then also use another non union VA. TY for highlighting this aspect too OP, I wasn't aware.

Jul 24, 2018
While I was definitely not a fan of the actor's performance I do however find it incredibly shitty for people to straight up harass the performer to the point of hate. Like who does that? Fuck.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I haven't played the game so I have no idea how good or bad her performance is, but it never once occurred to me to tell an actor I didn't like their work on social media, especially for Resident Evil of all things. Hopefully she can bounce back from this.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought the performance was fine. I really don't get it but internet weirdos cranking their garbage up to 11 as always.

Koklusz

Oct 27, 2017
It matters to my curiosity otherwise I wouldn't be asking.
I personally think she sounds alright. The only gripe is that she delivers her lines in the somewhat cold/detached way. Though she seems to be a TV/movie actor first and foremost, so she might not be used to overacting the VA job usually requires. Or maybe that was the direction she was given. I haven't seen her in anything else, so I can't really comment on her acting skills.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Even if you dislike her performance, going out of your way to tell her directly is being an asshole.
Seriously. I'm not a huge fan myself, but I just went, "ah, this could have been a bit better" and then dealt with it. It's very easy in fact to just… quietly not be a massive fan of a single element in a single game, as it turns out, let alone actively harass someone over it.