• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
Celebrities are treated like goddamn royalty. Take off the headphones or just don't do interviews.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It wasn't a live interview, it was being taped for edit and I really don't think they needed to still play the audio to him. Edit that stuff in later if it's distressing someone you agreed to host an interview with.

It is a live interview, it's just not broadcasted live, hence why they are playing the clips during the interview to provide context and continue to the next segment. Adam has done Fresh Air before, he knows how the show is presented. They told him if he doesn't want to listen to himself to remove his headphones.

As I said before, NPR isn't at fault, and Adam Driver isn't at fault. It's just a shitty situation.

RolandGunner

Oct 30, 2017
Walking off an interview doesn't hurt anybody. Fresh Air is going to be fine. This is the kind of oddball artist shit I find endearing.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
There's no chance that the fact that clips would be played wasn't discussed beforehand with his team, since they had prior knowledge of his concerns. People are acting like they sprung this on him, which is absurd.
It doesn't need to be sprung on him for it to have been handled better by NPR. If NPR provided accommodation by saying "take your headphones off" that might have felt initially acceptable to Driver or his team. Then Driver in the moment is having a panic attack or overwhelming anxiety about the clip being played and has to get out of the situation.

First reaction shouldn't be to go to outside press and go "wow that Driver interview was super weird, what a weird guy"

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day all Adam Driver did is leave a conversation that he no longer wanted to be in. What a monster.
Does he ever go on talk shows and they show a clip of a movie he's in?
They played this clip:

I can only imagine that it being a clip where he's singing made it a billion times more uncomfortable, enough to not want to be there anymore.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
His job is acting, not giving interviews. This is a courtesy, it's inherently not unprofessional.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he could have...just removed his headphones, no? Terry Gross is usually very fair about this sort of stuff.

There is also nothing wrong if he wants to walk away.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
I don't know if it's always been this way, because there's a kind of shine on Fresh Air interviews (rightly so, the program is great and Gross is a terrific interviewer), but I've noticed that guests on the show get put in uncomfortable spots quite often. And sometimes I've noticed that the guest was sounding more and more uncomfortable and rather than backing off or taking the temperature of the interview, Gross just continues on as if her guest isn't even there. I grant that I could be way off base and it could just be my anxiety that reads things that aren't there. But I know I've made observations about the Fresh Air team being insensitive to their guests in the past and I'm not terribly surprised by what they did here or Adam Driver's reaction to it.

I feel bad for him. I know if I had to walk like that I'd be beating myself up for a few days afterward about just not being weird.

Jun 1, 2019
You know, it's always funny how some treat walking out of an interview like it's this huge thing.

Dude apparently hates watching himself so much that it's described as a "phobia" and they played a clip of him singing. He was very uncomfortable so he left. We're all about mental health and self care in 2019 but criticize Adam Driver for not wanting to partake in something that causes him great distress?

I was coming in to post something similar. I don't blame Adam one bit and I would've done the same.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017
I don't know if it's always been this way, because there's a kind of shine on Fresh Air interviews (rightly so, the program is great and Gross is a terrific interviewer), but I've noticed that guests on the show get put in uncomfortable spots quite often. And sometimes I've noticed that the guest was sounding more and more uncomfortable and rather than backing off or taking the temperature of the interview, Gross just continues on as if her guest isn't even there. I grant that I could be way off base and it could just be my anxiety that reads things that aren't there. But I know I've made observations about the Fresh Air team being insensitive to their guests in the past and I'm not terribly surprised by what they did here or Adam Driver's reaction to it.

I feel bad for him. I know if I had to walk like that I'd be beating myself up for a few days afterward about just not being weird.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weird . . . they're playing it for the audience, not Driver. The audience needs a little context for whatever scene or aspect of the movie they're talking about.

Jun 1, 2019
You know, it's always funny how some treat walking out of an interview like it's this huge thing.

Dude apparently hates watching himself so much that it's described as a "phobia" and they played a clip of him singing. He was very uncomfortable so he left. We're all about mental health and self care in 2019 but criticize Adam Driver for not wanting to partake in something that causes him great distress?

I was coming in to post something similar. I don't blame Adam one bit and I would've done the same.

keeblerdrow

Dec 17, 2017

I feel bad for him. I know if I had to walk out of the interview like that I'd be beating myself up for a few days afterward about just not being weird.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I care deeply about mental illness and have a long medical history of anxiety and depression. As such, I should have considered whether this thread was worth posting and what discussion it would foster. I've requested a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.