• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I get the anxiety, but this seems fairly unprofessional. Especially when being interviewed by a legend like Terry Gross.

Daily Beast said:
Sources at NPR told The Daily Beast that Driver walked out of an interview earlier this month with Fresh Air host Terry Gross after expressing displeasure at the idea of listening to a clip of himself singing "Being Alive" from the musical Company. Driver's character sings the song late in Noah Baumbach's new Netflix film Marriage Story.

According to one source, Gross' team was aware that Driver prefers not to listen to recordings of himself and encouraged him to remove his headphones while any clips played back.

Danny Miller, Fresh Air's executive producer, confirmed that Driver left during a break in the interview "while we were playing back a clip from the film." The star actor recorded his end of the interview from NPR's New York studios, while Gross was in Fresh Air's base at WHYY-FM in Philadelphia.

"We don't really understand why he left," Miller said in an email. "We were looking forward to the interview—Terry thinks he's a terrific actor, he was a great guest when he was on [Fresh Air] in 2015—so we were disappointed that we didn't have a new interview to share with our listeners about Marriage Story."

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
She knows he hates this, though. He took his headphones off during their first interview years ago. It's unprofessional to subject him to that when you are fully aware of how he feels about it.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
"Gross' team was aware that Driver prefers not to listen to recordings of himself and encouraged him to remove his headphones while any clips played back."

so maybe just respect the dude's wishes and don't do it?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
"we know he dislikes it, lets do it anyway"
unprofessional from them, not Driver.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
They could have conducted an interview without subjecting him to something they know makes him uncomfortable.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah some artists like their work but don't like looking at their own stuff.
Probably a perfectionist. Leaving seems a bit extreme. But he is what he is.

Last edited:

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fine by me, cant adapt your own show a bit to make good with your guest?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Sounds like a pretty shitty thing for them to do

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
I don't blame him. I remember when I used to act in plays and whatnot and I really hated watching footage of it afterwards. There was a discomfort to it that I have rarely felt outside of those instances. Actors are often their own harshest critics and there can be something uncanny to returning back to something that is so "of the moment". I can only imagine how much more amplified that is when you are one of the best actors of your generation.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But why did he leave when we did the thing we know he doesn't like????????????

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
If he told them not to ahead of time he was in the right. I act too and I can't fucking stand seeing or hearing myself.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This actually makes me like the guy a lot. I cannot stand hearing my own voice or seeing myself on screen. I empathize with this dude a lot now.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
You know, it's always funny how some treat walking out of an interview like it's this huge thing.

Dude apparently hates watching himself so much that it's described as a "phobia" and they played a clip of him singing. He was very uncomfortable so he left. We're all about mental health and self care in 2019 but criticize Adam Driver for not wanting to partake in something that causes him great distress?

Deleted member 54292

Banned
Feb 27, 2019
anyone downplaying NPRs actions, just remember how it feels next time when you explicitly state your dislike of something and those you are with ignore you and don't care.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't find it weird at all that he hates hearing himself that much. I get it.

I would find it weird that he left, if they weren't already aware of the issue from a previous interview. I don't actually blame driver for this time out saying "not this shit again" and excusing himself.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Unless the interview was being done live (which I'd guess it wasn't since it doesn't seem like this was heard by the public?) I don't see why these clips can't be added into the audio after the fact, and have to be done during the discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
They knew he disliked it and did it anyway so yeah walking out seems perfectly legitimate and it's not like this interview is some make-or-break part of his career.

Nov 8, 2017
You know, it's always funny how some treat walking out of an interview like it's this huge thing.

Dude apparently hates watching himself so much that it's described as a "phobia" and they played a clip of him singing. He was very uncomfortable so he left. We're all about mental health and self care in 2019 but criticize Adam Driver for not wanting to partake in something that causes him great distress?

I was in a horrible car crash involving a complete 360 degree vehicle rotation on the side of a cliff and my coworkers routinely mock me for tensing up when they take corners at high speed, so yeah it doesn't surprise me.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Nothing unprofessional about it. The guys hates watching himself perform to the point where he has to leave. Its unprofessional for an interviewer to know this and do it anyway.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The dismissiveness of the posts in this thread are kind of grating. Adam Driver has something that triggers his anxiety and he's vocalized this repeatedly, he has no reason to subject himself to this if he can avoid it. They should have respected his wishes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Exactly

People defending a professional interview team purposefully triggering someone's anxiety is disgusting. The fact that it's from someone this renowned like Gross makes it even worse!

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

anyone downplaying NPRs actions, just remember how it feels next time when you explicitly state your dislike of something and those you are with ignore you and don't care.

They didn't ignore him. That's why they gave him advanced notice when clips would be played so he wouldn't hear them.

I have severe anxiety and depression so I am not discounting his feelings in the slightest. They took extra precautions but apparently it wasn't enough. I don't think this is a "huge thing," just something worth discussing.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I get it. I avoid opening up papers I wrote or edited whenever I can. It's like something is scratching at my insides whenever I have to. So help me god if I happen upon some kind of mistake. That'll haunt me for the rest of the day at least.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna point a few things out

Adam Driver has been on Fresh Air before and understands how the show is presented.
Adam Driver made it clear he has essentially a phobia of hearing / watching himself.
Fresh Air encouraged Adam Driver to remove his headphones during pocket moments in the interview where audio of him acting would be played.

The whole point of playing those clips is to provide context and segue to the next segment. Adam Driver knows this.

Why are people faulting Fresh Air for presenting their show normally because Adam Driver unfortunately could not bear to hear himself, even with headphones off, during an interview that he agreed to on a show that he's been on before?

It's just a shitty situation. No one is unprofessional here.

Oct 25, 2017
if someone does something to you that you have made explicitly clear you are extremely uncomfortable with and it is a situation that is non-essential and you can exit it you are going to exit

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in public speaking class we had to record ourselves and then watch the video to critique it. It's super weird and uncomfortable to watch and hear yourself if you're not used to it.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah hearing my own voice played back to me made me quit singing. I can relate.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't walk out but I have an irrational and visceral reaction to the same thing. We play videos in our lobby and if I walk in when I'm on the screen I literally pretend I've left something in the car or at my desk and turn right around.

it's hard to explain it but it's almost cripplingly profound embarrassment.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is understandable. Especially whenever they knew about it in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.