• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So this is blowing up...

vYiNT3m.jpg

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/...ble-claire-foy-on-graham-norton-a3670686.html

Viewers have blasted Hollywood actor Adam Sandler after he kept touching British actress Claire Foy's knee during Friday night's Graham Norton show.

The star of Netflix series The Crown appeared to be squirming as the US comic repeatedly rested his hand on her lower thigh during the BBC One chat programme.

Actress Emma Thompson, who was also on the guest sofa along with Cara Delevingne, appeared unimpressed as she watched the actor.

It comes after a wave of women have spoken about sexual harassment and assault in all areas of public life, sparked by the string of allegations which emerged against Harvey Weinstein.

Video at the link. My take is the touching was unnecessary. Not sure what he was thinking...

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That was weird. It made no sense when he did it. Almost felt like it was scripted and then acted out very poorly.

Also wanted to commend OP on the alteration to your avatar.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
No idea why some people think it's ok to touch a woman's knee like that (or unnecessarily touch women in general). It's a rather intimate gesture.

Punchline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only a matter of time before we find out he's done much much worse than knee touching

He's a big Hollywood guy who has various women play his romantic interests in his movies, most of them not given much to actually do. With this I'd be surprised if there wasn't more going on.

Edit: Felt I was a little too presumptuous here. Maybe it's more innocent than I initally thought.

Last edited:

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
That was weird.

Not sure if it was just a failed attempt at humour, this is Adam Sandler after all, or something worse. Either way, came off as super creepy.

Last edited:

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dammit man, how hard is it to keep your hands to yourself? You learn that shit in preschool.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Something seemed off with him. Like he looks for a second and then thinks, shouldn't my hand be there? Almost like a reflex.

I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler but he doesn't really come off as a creep to me. But I wouldn't rule it out either.

Edit: Hopefully he will issue an apology for his inappropriate behavior.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He's getting into the mindset of the character for his next movie The Knee-Toucher.

The first time looked like a natural thing but the second was him joking around. They showed the same clip twice so it didn't seem like her did it more than 2 times. It was a little weird.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I think he probably did it out of habit in a friendly way. I don't think it is particularly exclusive to men either. I have had a women do the same to me plenty of times. That being said, its not something I would do, and I don't particularly like it when done to me.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Personally I think he probably did it out of habit in a friendly way. I don't think it is particularly exclusive to men either. I have had a women do the same to me plenty of times. That being said, its not something I would do, and I don't particularly like it when done to me.
That's not something you'd do to a married woman when you're married yourself though, right? Especially when you're strangers to each other. At least, I'd be vocally uncomfortable about it.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Why would your natural instinct be to touch a stranger, period?

Just seems strange, creepy almost

I don't touch anyone that is not family unless I absolutely have to (like they reach out for a handshake or hug or something).. especially someone of the opposite sex

Illest1

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very awkward and regretful.. but I think it's being overblown. I'm guessing the actor (actress is now passe, correct?) was nowhere near the level of rage that some posters are at. Could be wrong, but some comments refer to there possibly being something sinister.. and that maybe all previous leading ladies in Sandler's movies were potentially victims..?

For real?

Just to be clear.. it is VERY cringe-worthy and of course a violation of her personal space.

Last edited:

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
You have to be a massive creep to consciously feel up someone like that live on stage with everyone looking.

Either that or it's a weird nervous tick/reflex.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He did the same thing with Dustin Hoffman when he was interviewed on Jimmy Fallon.

https://youtu.be/L45P34wz-II

No defending. If someone brushes off your hand, it would be a good idea to take the hint!
This is a thing that some people do, and seeing as he does it go Dustin Hoffman, I'm gonna go with Adam Sandler is one of those people. But if you're making people uncomfortable, you should be mindful of that and not to it again.

Oct 27, 2017
That's not something you'd do to a married woman when you're married yourself though, right? Especially when you're strangers to each other. At least, I'd be vocally uncomfortable about it.

Ive met people - both genders - who are very touchy, and not in a creepy way. I'm not that way myself.

Its hard to tell what his intention was from the video, but the Dustin Hoffman one is funny, his hand stays there for ages. Seem like a habit of his.

Spoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles/Belfast
Very awkward and regretful.. but I think it's being overblown. I'm guessing the actor (actress is now passe, correct?) was nowhere near the level of rage that some posters are at. Could be wrong, but some comments refer to there possibly being something sinister.. and that maybe all previous leading ladies in Sandler's movies were potentially victims..?

For real?

Just to be clear.. it is VERY cringe-worthy and of course a violation of her personal space.

What makes the response to it overblown? The fact that it's being discussed at all?

DarlingDixie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is an argument for it to be inappropriate but ultimately I think this is not a big deal, I'm not going to skewer a guy known for being charitable and friendly to his fans over this.

Deleted member 14459

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not OK when she first removes his hand. But Sandler seems to do this alot, the Hoffman video above, long knee linger, and here an interview with Apatow:

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
it's probably an old habit of him, he must be one of those handsy guys, nothing sexual involved, but it's a fucking caveman's habit nonethless especially when you're sitting beside a stranger

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Serial knee grabber Adam Sandler will literally fall on his face and crawl to grab your knee if the chairs are far enough apart.

B3NB4IL

Oct 27, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Hmm, certainly not a good look, especially with the current climate. It almost looks as if he's touching her originally in response to something off camera, or talking about her, then the second touch is more of a "ahh, sorry, haha, hahaha awkward" situation.

Either way, whatever happened, she looked incredibly uncomfortable before he touched her knee, and then looked even more irritated when he did touch her knee. He looks flustered and confused as well. Sadly I can't hear what he's really saying, I'm deaf and the audio isn't wonderful quality, so I'm struggling to find out what he's saying.

Hope he apologised or does apologise publicly anyway.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not OK when she first removes his hand. But Sandler seems to do this alot, the Hoffman video above, long knee linger, and here an interview with Apatow:

He did the same thing with Dustin Hoffman when he was interviewed on Jimmy Fallon.

https://youtu.be/L45P34wz-II

No defending. If someone brushes off your hand, it would be a good idea to take the hint!

Damn, he really is a serial knee-tapper.

I don't like Adam Sandler as much as anyone else, but I can't really see this as a malicious attack. More like a force of habit, whether the person next to him is a dude or a girl.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a bad habit were I tend to put my hand on peoples left shoulder. I've attempted to stop this, but sometimes it creeps back up like a couple of days ago. It could be nothing, though it could be an animal instinct of showing dominance over a fellow mammal.

ashep

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Only a matter of time before we find out he's done much much worse than knee touching

He's a big Hollywood guy who has various women play his romantic interests in his movies, most of them not given much to actually do. With this I'd be surprised if there wasn't more going on.
Calm down. It's an affectation he's had for years and he does it with males and females alike.

Should he have read the reactions of Foy in this instance? Absolutely.

Should he stop touching people like this altogether. Possibly.

It's a hot topic at the moment but let's just cool our jets on the whole "I bet he was a creep who did worse shit" hyperbole.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
wow, didn't think it was possible, but Adam Sandler just got worse

Status
Not open for further replies.