• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian, once again I will say that Im rooting for you guys. I really hope that its concrete proof that your piece of shit president is guilty and Schiff is urging the GOP to do whats right.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if trump had a D next to his name he'd be out on his ass yesterday

pretty pathetic how bad tribalism is getting

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just cannot believe all that smoke and evidence of wrongdoing by the Trump family is going to fizzle out in Muellers report...

America is done.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just cannot believe all that smoke and evidence of wrongdoing by the Trump family is going to fizzle out in Muellers report...

America is done.

We don't know anything.

In addition, the State District Attorney of New York's investigation into the Trump Campaign's finance violations and other potential $ wrong-doing will continue on its way.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That letter is a rorschach test for honest posters.

You either read it and fretted that it was a sign of the End Times Nothingburger - (the favorite junk food of the suddenly active account btw) that enrages you every time you bite on that stupidest of all lures.

Or you read it with the flickering, just- visible mote of hope, that it was a still-warm ember, primed to finally ignite the somnolent, bone dry, flag- shrouded and cadaverous republican moral outrage. A democratic hand reaching down to offer Gipper Goppers a way out of the conflagration.

There's a couple more options here. This short, somber inkblot of maybe prescient but redundant prose could be a previously agreed step on the congressional investigation, or a piece of public bureaucracy where, not knowing himself, he's throwing up his hands to let the chips fall where they may. It could be a coded message to a cooperating or uncooperative witness. It could be a public warning to Russia or some other villain - or it could be the shaking of a cage to startle someone or something into action.

The reason I don't think it's a Hail Mary in the desperate sense of the term is that it wouldn't work for a GOP audience unless it came with electoral maps and a countdown. As a body they have locked their arms around the great orange whale and they will ride it down to stygian depths.

Some portion of them accept their ruination and are retiring after they pay their sponsors with the last couple of disgraceful years.

Some of them are in it up to their eyeballs and have no better option than hoping for a pardon from a man who will barely know them at the slightest hint of friction. But have no better options.

Some of them are true believers in the man as a wrecking ball on the chain of their cause and think they can still make it.

Some of them signed the party pledge in blood.

At this time, there literally isn't a "good one" on the other side of the aisle and unless they are required to vote on something, none will ever emerge until he's gone - and then they'll point desperately to the time they mildly disapproved of the WAY he called people rapists or Neanderthals.

I suspect that the GOP is so badly tainted and stained at the individual level by NRA or other problem money/influence that it's always been about self preservation. Like they all did coke off a dead hooker on inauguration day and they swore to each other that if one's doomed, they're all doomed. Russia strikes me as a likely option since a couple of billion dollars from even one of Trump's crimes or obfuscations or sanctions lifting is MORE than enough to buy the whole party - especially now that Citizens United made it all so opaque.

If a "good one" is going to panic and break ranks it probably won't happen until and only if the report is an unavoidable smoking gun. If the report is damning enough that 2020 is hopeless for Trump, they still have to pretend that they "never realized!"

But unless there's a literal existential hidden message in there, I suspect it's due diligence and the crossing of a t and a dotting of the "i told you so" i..

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't know anything.

In addition, the State District Attorney of New York's investigation into the Trump Campaign's finance violations and other potential $ wrong-doing will continue on its way.

I wish I could see anything coming from that, but I don't think that will be enough.

Mueller was our only hope for Impeachment I feel and something feels very wrong.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
A republican saw their shadow and got scared; which means 6 more weeks of Mueller investigation. A good sign.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
yeah I definitely don't see where the doom and gloom is coming from in this thread

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The biggest protection that Trump has is that he is President. There's debate if a sitting can be charged with crimes while in office.
There shouldn't even be a debate about that. Do any of us really want the DOJ to become the fourth branch of government?

Impeachment is the only option, and realistically that's become very difficult after every single time impeachment gained traction, it was doused with the cold water of "wait for the mueller report". That has forced everything to ride on the political case made from that report, which is dumb because they're not really political people and typically deal with how statements are interpreted the courtroom, not how they're interpreted in the political arena.

Nov 7, 2017
It's not doom and gloom, it's ultimately being realistic in the face of what could be a very anti climactic report.

Of course i'm hoping they've saved the 'best' for last ie. a damning report on Trump and his crimes, but so far he's managed to skate through all of this unscathed, to the point where a report absolutely destroying him would seem too perfect. I feel it's going to be inconclusive.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like it just feels so wrong that Mueller interviewed all these people, got a super team of lawyers and...it ends on a shrug?

That's why I'm concerned.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like it just feels so wrong that Mueller interviewed all these people, got a super team of lawyers and...it ends on a shrug?

Nothing has ended! We dont even know if it will end next week. Additionally, get ready for extra fuckery because the report, which isnt an indictment report, just a summary of findings, goes right to Barr who proclaimed that he would not release the details publicly on uncharged individuals, which would most likely be Trump! Now i know Rod is still in the mix so there is some potential for other options, but like i said nobody knows. Guys like Schiff though acknowledging there might be activity however is why we are paying attention.

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
This guy never really speaks out like this, I have a feeling if there was nothing to it, it would have been radio silence from him. I would imagine if nothing concrete is learned by him about Trump, he would just stay silent and work on the house investigation and keep digging. I think there is a bombshell coming and this is the actual alert bells for Republicans, this is directed at Republicans specifically. He saying, shits coming and telling repubs to stop being cuckold by Trump.

stew

Dec 2, 2017
Schiff has implied multiple times that there is evidence of collusion. He has every reasons to believe the report will be damning because he has seen the evidences with his own eyes.

The Republicans know what's going on from the beginning, but they tried to sabotage the investigation. Just look at what the Senate Intel Committee did!

There's nothing new there. They know the truth and don't want to do anything about it.

He's just giving them a last chance before the truth comes out. He knows it's not likely they'll do something about it, but he'll able to say to the public that he reached them. This is not about Trump vs the democrats, but Trump vs the US.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
It's not doom and gloom, it's ultimately being realistic in the face of what could be a very anti climactic report.

Of course i'm hoping they've saved the 'best' for last ie. a damning report on Trump and his crimes, but so far he's managed to skate through all of this unscathed, to the point where a report absolutely destroying him would seem too perfect. I feel it's going to be inconclusive.

I don't know what to say other than sit and wait. No one other than the inside of the team knows what's going to drop in the report. Believe what you want with the information we have, and I'm not saying that to you but to everyone no matter the side of the fence you're on.

In the meanwhile, Neal Katyal has some actual realistic assumptions about the report next week. An interesting guy to listen to over x pundit, if only due to him drafting the actual special counsel regulations that have controlled and molded Mueller's investigation since the beginning:

Neil Katyal:
"When I was a 27 year old young pup at DOJ, I had the privilege of drafting the Special Counsel regulations. Took last 24 hrs to write @nytimes oped on what to expect re Mueller Report. Bottom line is if Mueller reports next week, very bad news for Trump."

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to say other than sit and wait. No one other than the inside of the team knows what's going to drop in the report. Believe what you want with the information we have, and I'm not saying that to you but to everyone no matter the side of the fence you're on.

In the meanwhile, Neal Katyal has some actual realistic assumptions about the report next week. An interesting guy to listen to over x pundit, if only due to him drafting the actual special counsel regulations that have controlled and molded Mueller's investigation since the beginning:

Neil Katyal:
"When I was a 27 year old young pup at DOJ, I had the privilege of drafting the Special Counsel regulations. Took last 24 hrs to write @nytimes oped on what to expect re Mueller Report. Bottom line is if Mueller reports next week, very bad news for Trump."

The top headline of that is actually one of the most 'to the point' summaries ive seen lately.

"A concise report will probably act as a "road map" to investigation for the Democratic House — and to further criminal investigation by other prosecutors. "

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"Conservatives, please do the right thing!" are the last words I'd expect to hear from someone who actually has leverage or expects the Republican party to implode in real time.

Definitely getting the vibe that the Mueller report won't be the unignorable 99-yard touchdown pass play of the century, and so he's rallying opposing support now. It's a shame, and I want to be wrong, but the public is likely to ignore it as well so long as it doesn't implicate the man.

or he's pleading with them because he knows they will protect Trump no matter what.

stew

Dec 2, 2017

Neil Katyal:

The top headline of that is actually one of the most 'to the point' summaries ive seen lately.

"A concise report will probably act as a "road map" to investigation for the Democratic House — and to further criminal investigation by other prosecutors. "
That's basically what have been said in this twitter thread. It was posted in the other thread:

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could see anything coming from that, but I don't think that will be enough.

Mueller was our only hope for Impeachment I feel and something feels very wrong.

Well honestly, I don't think a successful impeachment was ever in the cards. An impeachment attempt could pass the House but probably not the Senate.

Still, an impeachment process would help broil controversy and potentially further hurt his chances at reelection.

If the DOJ continues to adhere to precedent that a sitting president can't be indicted, or if they don't find evidence worthy of indicting, then any possible legal consequences for Trump would probably have to come after he's out of office.

(I know these things because I listen to a lot of political podcasts. Lol). Not an expert.

Deleted member 1635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Conservatives, please do the right thing!" are the last words I'd expect to hear from someone who actually has leverage or expects the Republican party to implode in real time.

If you knew that were going to happen, all the more reason to look like you're taking the high road and trying to actually work with/save them from their own foolishness and treachery.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
This Op-Ed is like a Rorschach test. Either reading could be true but we really don't have any clue until the report drops.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Man, what's it like in the future? I wanna know.
This guy never really speaks out like this, I have a feeling if there was nothing to it, it would have been radio silence from him. I would imagine if nothing concrete is learned by him about Trump, he would just stay silent and work on the house investigation and keep digging. I think there is a bombshell coming and this is the actual alert bells for Republicans, this is directed at Republicans specifically. He saying, shits coming and telling repubs to stop being cuckold by Trump.
Schiff is on TV all the time speaking out like this. Not sure what you're talking about here.

Taki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Neil Katyal:

This was a good read.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Basically Mueller has served as a singular punching bag while he seeded a bunch of areas of the FBI with all the investigations that went beyond his scope.

Indeed. Sad thing is we've ALL known this, especially since the Cohen raid last April, but people here are still missing the forest for the trees.
4/9/2018 - https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ueller-handed-off-the-michael-cohen-raid.html
7/20/2018 - https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-mueller-diversifying-his-prosecution-portfolio
9/27/2018 - https://www.lawfareblog.com/how-rod-rosenstein-protects-mueller-investigation

Anyways, going back to Neal, awesome and informative Twitter thread last month about potential special counsel reports (plural) and actions from it and responding to it. Read it now with the current news in mind:

1.The special counsel rules, which I drafted at DOJ 20 years ago, contemplate 2 kinds of reports. One is a report from Mueller to the AG, at the close of his investigation: "a confidential report explaining the prosecution or declination decisions reached by the Special Counsel."

4.That report must explain why the investigation has concluded, and any instance in which the AG overruled the Special Counsel. The provision was designed to ensure "Congressional and public confidence in the integrity of the process."

5.Notably, we wrote the circumstances for an AG to overrule a Special Counsel very tightly—it has to violate "established Departmental practices."

Like I said before, people can do with the information, ALL of it and it is a lot I know, what they want and let that guide their thoughts and assumptions of what's going to happen. None of us can tell the future.

That said, tomorrow will be fun enough with Manafort. Next week we get Cohen public (he apparently already has his private today ooooh boy) possibly some sort of Mueller report in some state - and this all with Trump overseas. I'm going to emphasize that last point because it does sound familiar...
Politico: Mueller stalks Trump abroad — again
White House aides had hoped that the G-20 summit would be an opportunity for President Donald Trump to showcase his deal-making skills. Now, they're worried that special counsel Robert Mueller's latest bombshell could overshadow his latest tour on the world stage.
And some think that's just the way Mueller wanted it.

In a Thursday statement, Trump's lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, called it "hardly coincidental" that Mueller made a dramatic legal move "just as the President is leaving for a meeting with world leaders," adding that the chief Russia investigator "did the very same thing as the President was leaving for a world summit in Helsinki."

Giuliani was referring to Mueller's indictment of 12 Russian military officials for 2016 email hacks just days before Trump met with Russian president Vladimir Putin in Finland this past summer, casting a pall over the Putin meeting and forcing Trump to confront pointed questions about the Russian's culpability.
Similarly, when Trump touches down here late Thursday, he will undoubtedly be met with sharp questions about his former lawyer Michael Cohen's guilty plea for lying to Congress about an unsuccessful plan to build a luxury tower in Moscow.

Hmmmmmmm

nomis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
if you think republicans are going to give up power for literally anything, including open and shut criminality from trump, you haven't been paying attention for the last two years

it's that simple

there is no wondering to see what a constitutional crisis looks like, it's been playing itself out for the last two years

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
This thread is all Doom and gloom. Jeez

If Trump had any shame he would have resigned months ago. If the GOP had any shame they would have forced him to resign months ago. He is clearly a con man and a criminal but now the GOP is so tied to him that they will obviously do everything in their power to keep him in power. This is where the doom and gloom comes from, all the norms of governance have been blatantly violated and nobody gives a shit. Quite the opposite, even Trump's harshest GOP critics are now treating him like emperor.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
if you think republicans are going to give up power for literally anything, including open and shut criminality from trump, you haven't been paying attention for the last two years

it's that simple

there is no wondering to see what a constitutional crisis looks like, it's been playing itself out for the last two years

True, but many in the GOP might be having their own legal issues that could drag others down too. If it comes to that, I'd like to see how strong that GOP wall actually is in Congress in terms of protecting Trump.

Because I've always thought that the GOP adherence to Trump goes a lot deeper than they're just afraid of his core base turning on them. They're not just protecting Trump, they're protecting themselves - careers at best, their freedom at worst. The dirt and rot runs deeper than just Trump, his family, and Putin. We've already got several whiffs of it, and that's just from the publicly available information.

There are just so many moving parts, all with their own abilities and motives. People are focusing on the GOP being the GOP and basically stop there, but there's a lot of political maneuvering and chess playing going on with all involved parties, including factions within the same party.

Just saying, if something really fucked up comes up in the future and we know that many Dem politicians and/or the FBI and courts knew of it months if not years ago and didn't say anything at the time, that's just the political machine at work. The system. I'm definitely talking about Obama there too in regards to how much he actually knows of what happened in the 2016 election with all of this, who was involved, and everything leading up to his last day as POTUS. Schiff and Feinstein to name a couple more as they've been in the thick of it since the start.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people are out there that will say "well that clears trump, he must be a good dude", if the report says everyone around Trump was criminal but Trump himself was just stupid? Not that many to matter is my guess. Trump's policy has done more damage to him then any report could do.

Like 2020 was always going to be the only way out. Cause if the report said he killed puppies you still would have to have the GOP do something and they have let everything slide up until now. That is why i never liked the memeifcation of Mueller, it took the responsibility off of people.