• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This got a ban? It money. It's like using M$ for Microsoft.

It might be because they had the misfortune of posting that immediately after forumers asked people not to use the nicknames. They might not have seen those requests. Or it might have been an intentional act of defiance. I don't know. There are no mod comments on earlier posts in this thread that used those nicknames. So, maybe timing had something to do with it.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
So after reading everything, it's makes more sense that Lebron was pissed at Morey for tweeting this out, while players were stuck in China, and not pissed because it would hurt his pockets.
It makes no sense. China isnt going to throw NBA players into prison. He was worried about the financial side of things. His financial side of things. You don't talk about "peoples finances" when your concern is violent retribution.

OP
OP
Squarehard

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
At least he was banned for this comment. He got away with this in another thread:
I think his intent after you pointed out that other comment is pretty clear now.

But really, let's be honest.

The majority of the people doing the word play, are doing it from a phonetic standpoint, and mocking accents rather than using clever puns, or at least that's the impression they're giving off.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
God damn I just read the transcript and didn't think it could be that bad. After hearing it though, wow. Lebron has his head so far up his own ass he can't even see daylight.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think his intent after you pointed out that other comment is pretty clear now.

But really, let's be honest.

The majority of the people doing the word play, are doing it from a phonetic standpoint, and mocking accents rather than using clever puns, or at least that's the impression they're giving off.

There are plenty of fine names to call Lebron. Sellout, hypocrite, Bootlicker, scumbag. No need to use the racially charged insults imo.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Adam is really playing this the best way possible. The billions lost pissing of china are temporay, the endless shit he would catch at home giving in would endless.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
So after reading everything, it's makes more sense that Lebron was pissed at Morey for tweeting this out, while players were stuck in China, and not pissed because it would hurt his pockets.
Right people seem to be almost purposefully missing this point. Which is to be expected when it comes to James and a chance to dunk on him but still. Even Richard Jefferson said that it was extremely tense while they were there, locked into a hotel and not even knowing if they were going to do the game until mere moments before tipoff. Reading thru this whole thing, Lebron seems completely disinterested and unknowledgeable on the dispute and is only mad that Morey did it when he did it which is completely fair because Morey didn't have to answer to the Chinese public like the players did.

Last edited:

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I feel like Lebron just needs to go in Joe Rogan's show and the birth of a milkshake duck will be completed.

So Morey should've tweeted that at a better time?
Eh, I mean he could've done it when NBA players literally weren't in China. I'm on Morey's side but I could understand the frustration of getting ready for an NBA preseason game and then being thrown into a state of confusion the minute the Chinese government started to freak out.

It makes no sense. China isnt going to throw NBA players into prison. He was worried about the financial side of things. His financial side of things. You don't talk about "peoples finances" when your concern is violent retribution.
To be fair, he could be talking about the NBA as a whole. Morey did throw the a lot of "peoples finanaces" into a state of unknown. Hell, Anta has said they won't extend any contracts with current players after deals are up along with people being uncertain if the NBA salary cap for next season will be lowered due to this whole debacle. Definitely a lot of money at play, not just Lebron's.

Right people seem to be almost purposefully missing this point. Which is to be expected when it comes to James and a chance to dunk on him but still. Even Richard Jefferson said that it was extremely tense while they were there, locked into a hotel and not even knowing if they were going to do the game until mere moments before tipoff. Reading thru this whole thing, Lebron seems completely disinterested and unknowledgeable on the dispute and is only mad that Morey did it when he did it which is completely fair because Morey didn't have to answer to the Chinese public like the players did.

Exactly. Clearly Morey caught the entire world off-guard and I can see how that led to a bit of anger & frustration not only from Lebron but from a lot of those Nets and Lakers players who were literally in the country that an NBA GM just took shots at.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Eh, I mean he could've done it when NBA players literally weren't in China. I'm on Morey's side but I could understand the frustration of getting ready for an NBA preseason game and then being thrown into a state of confusion the minute the Chinese government started to freak out.

To be fair, he could be talking about the NBA as a whole. Morey did throw the a lot of "peoples finanaces" into a state of unknown. Hell, Anta has said they won't extend any contracts with current players after deals are up along with people being uncertain if the NBA salary cap for next season will be lowered due to this whole debacle. Definitely a lot of money at play, not just Lebron's.

Exactly. Clearly Morey caught the entire world off-guard and I can see how that led to a bit of anger & frustration not only from Lebron but from a lot of those Nets and Lakers players who were literally in the country that an NBA GM just took shots at.
Even in that case he's calling Morey stupid and uneducated for putting human rights over money. Once again making Lebron look like a chump.

massivekettle

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Adam is really playing this the best way possible. The billions lost pissing of china are temporay, the endless shit he would catch at home giving in would endless.

You don't know that at all. Chinese gov't tends to hold grudges for long times, and China has multiple alternatives for the NBA, including pumping money into its own domestic league. This market could be forever closed to the NBA which will severely hamper franchise valuations.

As for the controversy at home, I actually felt like It was the more Likely to subside over time given Americans' attention span (see the kneeling issue).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't know that at all. Chinese gov't tends to hold grudges for long times, and China has multiple alternatives for the NBA, including pumping money into its own domestic league. This market could be forever closed to the NBA which will severely hamper franchise valuations.

As for the controversy at home, I actually felt like It was the more Likely to subside over time given Americans' attention span (see the kneeling issue).
Maybe, but if a tweet was all it took to permanently severe ties with China, then it would have happened sooner or later anyways. If a market is that volatile, it's probably better to cut investments early.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Even in that case he's calling Morey stupid and uneducated for putting human rights over money. Once again making Lebron look like a chump.

Lebron is absolutely wrong for calling Morey uneducated(even though Morey said himself he "misunderstood" in his response) but I don't have any reason to believe that Lebron understood the context of "standing with Hong Kong."

Calling someone uneducated when you are as well is dumb but the whole "china over human rights" angle is a massive reach.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Maybe, but if a tweet was all it took to permanently severe ties with China, then it would have happened sooner or later anyways. If a market is that volatile, it's probably better to cut investments early.

My thoughts exactly. We should not be bowing to the sensitive whims of another country. Especially a country that has tight controls of its citizens rights and the flow of information.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Lebron is absolutely wrong for calling Morey uneducated(even though Morey said himself he "misunderstood" in his response) but I don't have any reason to believe that Lebron understood the context of "standing with Hong Kong."

Calling someone uneducated when you are as well is dumb but the whole "china over human rights" angle is a massive reach.
Human rights was the subject of the tweet. How is it a reach?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing is impossible, they had a taste of NBA play. It would be a good 20 years if ever that they could field out a league with that style of play and skill.
That too, if it wasn't that tweet it would be something else. Better now than being firmly entrenched

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

It was a warning by China. They thought the money hungry capitalists would cave, which most have and will continue to do. They didn't count on America's Commish to have integrity and a brass set of balls.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Lebron's not unintelligent just because he didn't go to college. Get this bullshit out of here.
He's not nor did I ever imply that. But you can assemble 10 random Americans of any intelligence level prior to Morey's tweet and only 3 or 4 at best would be able to faithfully describe this dispute without any help.

Morey is a MIT grad and even he says he didn't understand the issue prior to his tweet.

Nov 1, 2017
He's not nor did I ever imply that. But you can assemble 10 random Americans of any intelligence level prior to Morey's tweet and only 3 or 4 at best would be able to faithfully describe this dispute without any help.

Morey is a MIT grad and even he says he didn't understand the issue prior to his tweet.
Not meaning that but citing someone else's degrees in completely unrelated fields as a means to highlight if they can't understand it how would the person without these unrelated credentials. Last I checked the best ways to understand a problem are through research that includes reading and listening. Doesn't have shit to do with a CompSci degree or an MBA.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Because the thought that Lebron"I didn't go to college" James is some expert on a completely foreign sovereignty matter is a massive reach.
I hate this line of thinking and I only ever see it applied to black people. LeBron never claimed he was an expert anyway and what he said about Morey not understanding the blow back of his tweet was accurate. Morey agrees on that much.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Not meaning that but citing someone else's degrees in completely unrelated fields as a means to highlight if they can't understand it how would the person without these unrelated credentials. Last I checked the best ways to understand a problem are through research that includes reading and listening. Doesn't have shit to do with a CompSci degree or an MBA.
I mean you don't have to tell me that, I haven't did more than a month of college and don't plan on doing any more but I can still speak on this subject. Still, there's whole bodies of study that suggest people who have completed post secondary education are more likely to seek out current events.

I hate this line of thinking and I only ever see it applied to black people. LeBron never claimed he was an expert anyway and what he said about Morey not understanding the blow back of his tweet was accurate. Morey agrees on that much.

Slow down. I don't even know what Lebron's skin color has to do with anything considering I'm darker than he is. I would say the same thing about Kerr who is isn't American born and spent most of his early life in different countries.

To most Americans this is an extremely niche topic. Probably most places on earth it is. But because its Lebron and he speaks on domestic issues that have existed for centuries now in America he is supposed to be an expert on HK/China relations. Or something.

Also Morey said, addressing Chinese fans that he hadn't considered their perspectives, i.e he was misinformed. But this is never mentioned by the "money over human rights" people either.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you don't have to tell me that, I haven't did more than a month of college and don't plan on doing any more but I can still speak on this subject. Still, there's whole bodies of study that suggest people who have completed post secondary education are more likely to seek out current events.

Slow down. I don't even know what Lebron's skin color has to do with anything considering I'm darker than he is. I would say the same thing about Kerr who is isn't American born and spent most of his early life in different countries.

To most Americans this is an extremely niche topic. Probably most places on earth it is. But because its Lebron and he speaks on domestic issues that have existed for centuries now in America he is supposed to be an expert on HK/China relations. Or something.

Also Morey said, addressing Chinese fans that he hadn't considered their perspectives, i.e he was misinformed. But this is never mentioned by the "money over human rights" people either.
Saying he "didn't consider their perspective" is basically a PR non-pology. I don't think he actually believes he was misinformed.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Saying he "didn't consider their perspective" is basically a PR non-pology. I don't think he actually believes he was misinformed.
If he was taking a principled stance "standing with Hong Kong", saying he didn't understand the China's perspective on Hong Kong and saying he didn't mean to offend China is a complete abandonment of that stance. You can't have it both ways. He either knew he was speaking out against China or he didn't. And when he "found out" he said he didn't really mean it.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
If he was taking a principled stance "standing with Hong Kong", saying he didn't understand the China's perspective on Hong Kong and saying he didn't mean to offend China is a complete abandonment of that stance. You can't have it both ways. He either knew he was speaking out against China or he didn't. And when he "found out" he said he didn't really mean it.
The only thing he was misinformed about was how big a temper tantrum the second most powerful country on Earth would throw over a throwaway tweet. That's why he walked it back.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
The only thing he was misinformed about was how big a temper tantrum the second most powerful country on Earth would throw over a throwaway tweet. That's why he walked it back.
Except that's not at all what he said:

I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives.

I would hope that those who are upset will know that offending or misunderstanding them was not my intention. My tweets are my own and in no way represent the Rockets or the NBA.

There's no way to spin this. Its a complete disavowal of his previous comments.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Except that's not at all what he said:

There's no way to spin this. Its a complete disavowal of his previous comments.
If you're someone who takes all obvious PR fake apologies at face value, then I don't know what to tell you. I think that you're a gullible/naive person if you think Morey actually thinks that the CCP perspective is right after all.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
If you're someone who takes all obvious PR fake apologies at face value, then I don't know what to tell you. I think that you're a gullible/naive person if you think Morey actually thinks that the CCP perspective is right after all.

Ehh plenty of political experts agree that China has legit claim over Hong Kong, no matter how evil they are as government/nation. Thats completely beside the point though.

Regardless of if you believe them to be sincere or not, which is completely irrelevant to me, Morey's tweets are two incompatible stances. You can't "Fight for Freedom" and "stand with Hong Kong" who's position is that they are free/separate from China and then apologize and also acknowledge/validate China's position that Hong Kong isn't free. Again, can't have it both ways.

Either the initial tweet was a bullshit attempt at pandering and not worth posting at all considering he isn't willing to stand by it or he was out of pocket speaking about a subject that he didn't fully understand. I could go either way. If you can't, cool but I don't really care.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol this account