• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Morey is getting fired at the end of the season unless the Rockets win the Finals. Book it.

Performance will be used as the reason but we will all know.

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
That's quite the precedent he set there

Can't imagine what would have happened if he did

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe LeBron tried to tell Silver that if a player tweeted this they'd be fined, like talk about delusional

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Friendship ended with LeBron. Now Adam Silver is my best friend.
I could look past the trademarking taco tuesday stuff, but this China shit hurt. How could you do this to me, bron?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This was such an easy PR statement for silver to make, and it capably masks the issues LeBron's statement causes. China can't even directly comment on it, either.

Free kudos with no risk.

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
New drinking game, every time someone in this thread says LeBron take a shot.
tenor.gif

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I mean, I'm not going to applaud this. The very idea he deserves any sort of praise for not firing someone because a communist dictatorship half way around the world demanded it is completely absurd.

Silver has something to lose here. It's not like you or I speaking out against China. When someone who has something to lose speaks out then it does deserve some praise.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Good on Silver. He's taking the right position even though it will further hurt his business.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm not going to applaud this. The very idea he deserves any sort of praise for not firing someone because a communist dictatorship half way around the world demanded it is completely absurd.

When men, organizations, and countries bow to China, seeing a person that is putting his job on the line by standing up for someone's rights is worth praising.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does Silver even have the ability or authority to fire a coach? Aren't they technically employees of the team, rather than employees of the NBA?

Oct 28, 2017
Lebron can't actually do that, as big as he is. There's also no evidence he demanded Morey be fired either. People can assume it fine, but there's no actual record of such a thing.

It was mostly a joke but I could easily see the NBA owners firing Silver if they share Lebron's thinking of money over human rights. And they are all rich af, so they just might.

Wouldn't be immediate because they know the PR backlash would be huge but if business dips at all then I could see it happening with that as an excuse.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Does Silver even have the ability or authority to fire a coach? Aren't they technically employees of the team, rather than employees of the NBA?

Correct, although he could do what many suspect the NFL has done with Kaepernick and put pressure on the Rockets to get rid of him and then pressure on the rest of the league to not touch him. So, it wouldn't technically be him firing him but it would have the same effect.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

He doesn't have the power to fire Morey but the NBA functions much like a cartel where its individual members have autonomy but ultimately the collective can put pressure and decide the outcome.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, Silver with something positive to say.

Fuck the CCP.

Lebron and Harden should be ashamed of their comments.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Silver is awesome. China can fuck off, doing business there isn't even worth the headache with that piece of shit government in charge of literally everything.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
No, his job is to make the owners money. He's actively risking his job and the NBA's money by supporting Morey. To claim that he's doing his job by doing this is in itself absurd.

The NBA is losing money either way. Support China it hurts your western buisness, Support Democracy it hurts Chinese buisness.

Silver did the math and chose USD over Yen. He was never putting himself at risk

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was either appease the CCP, but suffer backlash and lose sales here or not and lose partnerships in China. Good for Silver standing up.