• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Twitch.tv rolled out this system awhile ago but it really went into effect yesterday(3/16/19)for most people. I think this is really a game changer for ad companies looking to get out their brand on a big audience. Twitch.tv now embed the ads directly into the stream so even people who used the HLS/VLC method will see ads now. The only way to avoid an ad free experience now is to sub to certain channels that was grandfathered in with ad-free for subbing or having Twitch Turbo($8.99 subscription but still has limited exceptions). Twitch Prime no longer gives you an ad-free experience and went into effect of October 15, 2018(some still have it for a few more months)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/b1xdgf/rip_ublock_origin_its_a_much_deeper_problem_than/

This is what the system they mentioned years ago.
https://blog.twitch.tv/introducing-surestream-for-a-better-video-ad-experience-on-twitch-3ca5ce3287c

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What about uBlock Origin? Or this affects every adblocker out there?

EDIT: Shit, ads are now embed within the stream? FUCK.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
Basically all partnered streamers just got a raise; that's amusing. Don't mind ads myself.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
on the one hand this is good for streamers
on the other hand it sucks
on the other other hand I've been seeing ads for a while and ad blocker hasn't been effective for me, meaning I was probably one of those people who they tested on
on the other other other hand, streamers get paid yo

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Most decent streamers don't run ads anyway and it's just the intro ad that gets run. That's fine.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How often do you see ads on Twitch? I only ever see one when I start a stream, but nothing beyond that. Of course I don't really watch Twitch for extended times.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use Twitch or stream at all, but it feels like you're not interested in watching content unless you can steal it.

Because that's what Adblock does.

Yeah I pretty much pirate all my movies and anime
Also my games

...anyways no, I just hate mandatory ad on refresh and such, it's annoying. Started to hate it ever since youtube was able to do it every ~3m on some mobile videos, it made the system way too grating for me.
Especially when the mobile app is more or less adless on VOD, can't say I care for it much.

Arcaenum

Nov 1, 2017
Unless the streamer themselves runs an ad, you'll only ever see the first ad when joining a stream. It's really not that big of a deal.

0MAR10

Oct 27, 2017
Louisiana
finally. if you want to watch stuff ad free pay for the subscription. i'm glad those who are working for their money get it now.

Murugo

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ad blockers stopped working for me on Twitch a while back. It sucks, but I'd prefer to watch ads to support the channels I frequent regardless.

The thing that I can't stand though is ads in VODs. Unskippable ads play every 10 minutes. It's insane.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
If a streamer wants to run adds while they go take a break for any reason, that is a okay and I'm fine seeing those ads, but if ads happen during times that can prevent me from actually seeing something meaningful happening on the stream I'll be disappointed.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm assuming it's just SSAI server side ad insertion. Ad blockers usually work by blocking the known domains of ad networks, but this masks them so they look no different from the source video itself. It's not super new, but it definitely still hasn't fully gained traction

Last edited:

Phrozenflame500

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
most streamers dont seem to be fond of ads anyways since subs and donations bring in more money and are less disruptive

wxMak

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't really bother me for the most part, though I just wish esports streams that run ads during breaks didn't run ads upon entering the stream in the middle of a game. I've missed important action because of it when I've had to refresh because a stream froze, and it's really annoying.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm ok with all of this. Ads are fine, not the end of the world.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Unless the streamer themselves runs an ad, you'll only ever see the first ad when joining a stream. It's really not that big of a deal.
Yeah a 30 second ad now and then is all I see, and sometimes maybe one on refresh if I am "unlucky". I really don't see the problem.

As for the money, I only ever watch one partnered streamer (all the other ones are only affiliates) so mostly ad money from me goes to Twitch. But Twitch is generally a good platform so I don't mind them getting money at all.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda used to the in-stream ads now.

Just don't be as obnoxious as the Twitch Presents channel yeesh.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I would be fine with ads but they spam you with like twenty ads before you start watching the stream and they sometimes even cram the ads in the most important moments. That happened a couple of times during CS:GO Major and I was pissed.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind the ads on mobile, but they're a pain on the desktop website since it's easier to watch multiple streams it just turns into a mess as you jump around.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How often do you see ads on Twitch? I only ever see one when I start a stream, but nothing beyond that. Of course I don't really watch Twitch for extended times.
Video game tournaments seem to fucking spam you with ads, like 5 in a row. And sometimes in the middle of a match if you DC and reconnect at least for me. This turns me off from watching any more of those TBH. Maybe just the EVO.

Like not joking when I watch the Overwatch League I would mute and bring up another window.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Video game tournaments seem to fucking spam you with ads, like 5 in a row. And sometimes in the middle of a match if you DC and reconnect at least for me. This turns me off from watching any more of those TBH. Maybe just the EVO.

Like not joking when I watch the Overwatch League I would mute and bring up another window.
Wait, wtf? I thought the streamer had to take an ad break or something and literally cut-away from their stream in order for an ad to play.

How the fuck do they enforce ads that literally prevent you from watching ongoing content?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The CEO of their parent company is worth $100 Billion. Yeah I know they need to make money, but this ain't it chief.