• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Where does the carbon go then? Does the seaweed increase the cow's digestive efficiency or something else?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
PUy658X.gif
Well played.

As far as the actual news -- awesome, I hope it gets widely implemented there and abroad.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Kronotech

Oct 28, 2017
I've been bringing lots of methane emissions into bed at night, lately. I need some of this seaweed or I fear my wife will leave me.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
isn't one of the biggest issues with this that climate change is affecting seaweed growth and already a problem that is at risk for dying because of global warming?
I dont recall seeing anything specifically for seaweed, although I am sure it is possible/probable in some parts of the world as ocean water warms, but maybe you are talking about algae?

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I dont recall seeing anything specifically for seaweed, although I am sure it is possible/probable in some parts of the world as ocean water warms, but maybe you are talking about algae?

quoting myself

found a quick link, I really didn't do much digging because vividly remember reading that it was causing issues.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/02/190206101129.htm

edit: shoot this specifically affects the region that this thread is about.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Even if this would be 100% successful and implemented globally, there is still the issue of vast land use to raise cattle for slaughter.

I'll continue to not eat meat ever.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
While this is an amazing use of this GIF, sadly it does miss the point.
There is still the issue of the insane amount of water needed to raise a cow, the power use and emission of the entire industry and the land needed to allow cows to graze.

As stated before it is part of the solution but I'd hardly say that this allows meat back on the menu for me.
(Don't see this as a personal attack btw, just wanting to vent my thoughts in light of the train of thought that this would give meat eating thumbs up again)

Very good points -- this should be used in conjunction with greater adoption of meat-alternatives. It'd be a Pyrrhic victory if this seaweed takes off but we bulldoze the Amazon more because we feel "good" (or at least, less bad) about ourselves for eating beef.

Oct 27, 2017
Yieeehhhaaa, we're back in business. I always knew that some shitty molecule won't be able to stop us. Want some seaweed Siberian permafrost? Now please find some mushrooms that will eat up all the CO2 in the air and I can finally undust my SUV fleet without bad conscience. Mankind rules!

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
While this is great, please don't use this as an excuse to continue your current habits before this gets implemented.

This also doesn't address land and water usages concerns. It's a good step forward though.

game-biz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to think menus always existed. I'd guess around 5 thousand years ago at the very earliest.

Also, does this seaweed work on humans? I'd like to test it out.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
How many cows will drown when they get a liking for seaweed and go looking for it?

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it had been determined that the methane from the cows wasn't actually a major factor in global warming? Rather the whole structure around the beef industry (transportation, trucks, etc) was the real cause?