• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Hello

Ok so, I've been taking 60 mg of Adderall XR a day (20 mg around 8, 20 mg around 10, and then another 20 mg at roughly 4)

I don't want to go too into detail, but yes, I absolutely need ADHD medication otherwise my brain just doesn't function well. On days where I run out of medication it's VERY common for me to spill things/break things/lose things/etc. etc., I've taken tests to confirm my ADHD, etc.

And Adderall helps me piece my brain together. Very well, I might add.

Unfortunately, though, I just realized that it increases my anxiety.

Does this mean I should decrease my dose, or is there some magical ADHD medication that doesn't increase anxiety?

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
talk to your doctor very honestly about all the issues you're encountering

if you don't feel you can talk to your doctor or if you think they aren't listening or don't care, find a new doctor

with lots of meds you'll need to try many different kinds to find what's right for you, especially with anxiety. it's important to keep trying and not give up even though it's really frustrating

OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
talk to your doctor very honestly about all the issues you're encountering

if you don't feel you can talk to your doctor or if you think they aren't listening or don't care, find a new doctor

with lots of meds you'll need to try many different kinds to find what's right for you, especially with anxiety. it's important to keep trying and not give up even though it's really frustrating

I love my psychiatrist. I just thought i'd ask here first before bothering her :p but she's super nice and understanding. I'm just wondering if anyone here has taken other ADHD meds that don't increase their anxiety.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ask your doctor about riddelin or however you spell it. I'm also on adderall for adhd and it's supposed to be milder.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I love my psychiatrist. I just thought i'd ask here first before bothering her :p but she's super nice and understanding. I'm just wondering if anyone here has taken other ADHD meds that don't increase their anxiety.

Everyone's experience on medications so it's hard to recommend anything.

I switched to Strattera a few months and I'm way less anxious and on edge.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
One cheap quick fix you might try is taking some L-Theanine. It's a cheap amino acid. I've been taking 200mg of the Nutricost brand every morning/night and it largely demolishes the deep well of anxiety I carry in my gut without it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Try Ritalin/Methylphenidate. Just a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and not additionally a stimulant of its production. Ritalin also does more norepinephrine and serotonin, which reduces anxiety. There's a lot of extended release variants so you get day long medicine but without the 12 hour half life of adderall which kills sleep quality.

Ritalin has been around the longest. Newer doesn't mean better. Part of the drive of new medicine is exclusive rights.

Last edited:

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely no doctor, but Adderall XR lasts for 7-10 hours (it is extended release Adderall for those who don't know). Taking 20mg at 8 and then 20mg two hours later seems kinda strange to me, but again I'm no doctor. When I was on XR it was recommended that I take one at 8AM, and then take a regular Adderall at 5PM if I felt like I needed it. 60mg is also quite a bit, so it might be worth seeing (check with your doctor!) if testing cutting back to 40mg a day or something might be worth trying.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah that dosing doesn't make sense. Really only have seen 1st generation Ritalin be used on frequent dosing because it speaks in 1 hour and crashes at 3.5 hours.

Adderall has a 12 hour half life.

Maybe the OP needs to be amped up in the morning but all at once is dangerous? The 4pm tho, how do you sleep more than 4 hours.

I do Concerta 54 when I wake, 10mg ritalin at hour 9, 10mg at hour 11 (or later if driving late). If you look at the dr pdfs provided by the manufacturer and add ritalin IR doses like I do you get a very continuous dose all day. Concerta is "12 hour" but it peaks at hour 6 and without a booster you are crashing in the afternoon typically when you drive home. The slow release matrix tech in Concerta I guess couldn't be cost effective for a true 14 hour release which is what is needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pleaseinsertdisctwo
Oct 31, 2017
Definitely no doctor, but Adderall XR lasts for 7-10 hours (it is extended release Adderall for those who don't know). Taking 20mg at 8 and then 20mg two hours later seems kinda strange to me, but again I'm no doctor. When I was on XR it was recommended that I take one at 8AM, and then take a regular Adderall at 5PM if I felt like I needed it. 60mg is also quite a bit, so it might be worth seeing (check with your doctor!) if testing cutting back to 40mg a day or something might be worth trying.

I shouldve explained myself. I do this so i can kind of experience 30 mg, rather than 20. Since 20 is a liiiiittle too weak