• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
The Maryland Court of Appeals has reinstated the murder conviction against Adnan Syed, the subject of the popular "Serial" podcast and an upcoming HBO docu-series.
Syed, whose conviction in the 1999 killing of his former girlfriend Hae Min Lee was vacated in 2016, won't get a new trial after all. In a 4-3 decision on Friday, Maryland's highest court held that "given the totality of the evidence" against him, there was not a "substantial possibility that the jury would have reached a different verdict" were he to receive a new trial.

HBO's four-part series, "The Case Against Adnan Syed," is set to begin on Sunday.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Is that now famous Bangladeshi American activist still his attorney? Can they appeal? What's next...?

Edit: referring to Rabia Choudary, and she's not. And his legal team is "exploring other avenues".

Last edited:

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I Iiked the first season of Serial like everybody else, but the guy was most likely guilty regardless of what the oddly quiet people from NPR theorized.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda takes the suspense out of the HBO documentary.

How long was his sentence originally for?

bill crystals

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha I love how absolutely positive all the junior detectives are about his guilt/innocence. Speaking of being played...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did something else come out after Serial that made everyone so positive he's guilty? Because I remember being baffled at the conviction after listening to that shit. The weird friend who's story didn't line up and refused to comment always gave me pause. Something about this entire scenario was rotten.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did something else come out after Serial that made everyone so positive he's guilty? Because I remember being baffled at the conviction after listening to that shit. The weird friend who's story didn't line up and refused to comment always gave me pause. Something about this entire scenario was rotten.
About half way through the season, I thought it was pretty obvious that the reporter was running a wild goose chase and didn't know jack shit. It just riled everyone up.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Season 3 of Serial was amazing, but, yeah, what happened with that first one was real rough and did not age well.

Oct 27, 2017
nope. everyone just wants to run in to make sure people know they knew all along.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing to keep in mind with the podcast was that they didn't really investigate the murder, so much as investigate the investigation. All the witnesses and theories they explored stemmed from the prosecution's theory or police evidence.

The reason why it feels as if there are no possible other subjects, is that the police had a very narrow focus. From all accounts, Hae was very popular, we know she dated older men (Don was 20, out of high school), that she dated outside of school, she had other social circles, but if you go by the podcast, it seems like she knew half-a-dozen people in the whole world.

Ironically I think the podcast reinforces the idea that he did it for some because of how much is focuses on only a couple of people. It makes it seem as if you don't believe it was Don (or Jay), that Adnan was the only other possible suspect.

Oct 25, 2017
No mostly just dudes wanting to idk like dunk on a years old podcast for whatever reason.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what Serial should have made abundantly clear was whether or not he was guilty, his legal case was a complete mess and he shouldn't have been convicted with what the prosecution presented.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what Serial should have made abundantly clear was whether or not he was guilty, his legal case was a complete mess and he shouldn't have been convicted with what the prosecution presented.
That's what I took away from it.

I still don't know if he did it or not, but he definitely shouldn't have been convicted in that case

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I love all the armchair quarterbacks in here stating he did it like it's fact. You don't know shit. I don't know shit. The case was super weak and we don't know whether he did it or not. Stop pretending you do.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
people saying he was guilty without a doubt: i think you'll have a surprise coming with the upcoming hbo series

serial missed so many things wrong with the prosecution's case, as uncovered by the undisclosed podcast

i'm looking forward to that information reaching a wider audience with the hbo series. y'all will be ashamed of your words and deeds

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I dont know if he did it or not. I do know the investigation was fucked and he should not be in jail. The police just wanted to put somebody away and he was there culprit.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
People retro-actively bashing Serial S1? lmao, cmon now.

Like a sane person, I still cant figure if he really is guilty or not. However, to say that the case was strong enough to judge him guilty is a joke. Fiancee has been listening to Undisclosed and I'm super excited for the HBO Doc.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
But on Friday, Maryland's highest court, the Court of Appeals, ruled in a 4-to-3 decision that while Mr. Syed's defense lawyer had been "deficient" in not calling a potential alibi witness to testify during the trial 19 years ago, ultimately Mr. Syed was not "prejudiced" by that deficiency.

Not prejudiced? She was maybe the only credible and impartial witness that claims to have been with him during a crucial period of time. I feel it's more likely than not that he committed the murder, but thankfully that's not the stand of proof in a criminal trial (although more and more it seems to be that way). Not sure what other avenues for relief he has available. The guy is about the same age as me and I can't even imagine what it would be like to spend the best years of life in prison. Hell, just knowing you'll die in prison must be a mind fuck. If he did it, no sympathy. But this case had so many unanswered questions that I just don't know how anyone could say beyond a reasonable doubt that it was him.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I... don't understand how people can be so confident in his guilt. I guess it feels like anyone arrested and convicted is just assumed to be 100% guilty with no doubt even though the system has been shown to be broken in so many ways. He could have done it, but I don't see how anyone could really know for sure based on that investigation.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love all the armchair quarterbacks in here stating he did it like it's fact. You don't know shit. I don't know shit. The case was super weak and we don't know whether he did it or not. Stop pretending you do.

That's where it breaks down for me too. I honestly think Adnan is guilty but if I was part of the jury in his trial there is no way I would vote guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. There is simply too little information about his whereabouts. And the lack of an alibi is not an issue to me. There simply isn't any good real evidence that isn't controversial (like the cell phone towers).