• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And? The PS2 didn't sell at the rate the Wii did at first either.

We have hard sales numbers. The Switch is far from the Wii. The PS4 was at that level for a time but not anymore.

An old chart from ZhugeEx
C-eydZfXcAAOz5q.jpg

While popular in certain internet circles the Switch hasn't become ubiquitous in the mainstream zeitgeist like the 3 top consoles did. We're starting to see concrete evidence of this with huge mainstream titles coming to Switch but not selling so well.
What mainstream games are you talking about? NBA outperformed expectations, Rocket League, DOOM, and Skyrim have been in the top four of the charts and refuse to budge, and Nintendo's own games are setting sales records, while even poor and shoddy ports with no support or marketing from their publishers like Street Fighter and Xenoverse 2 ended up outperforming all expectations. So is this predicated on just FIFA?

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I'm can't say sales were that astronomical but I worked Black Friday and we apparently had 28 Switches in stock (including the bundles) and by the end of it there were only 8 left. Keep in mind Switches had no BF Price cut to compete with Xbox1 and PS4 sales(those also sold a lot but not clear out.)

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I ended up picking up a second switch
This here might be what puts Nintendo ahead. While Sony and Microsoft focused on making their consoles as not only a console but doubling as a home entertainment center, or the Next Watercooler, this could also backfired on the fact that most place just only have/ need 1 for household.
Nintendo marketing the Switch as a personal device instead, means one same house could get several of it like everyone has its own phone or tablet

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's true. It's going to be the same for physical units sold at retailers too. Saw it first hand. All stores magically had a gigantic surplus of Switch units. I went out like 4 hours after the sales started and they still had inventory and ton of people had them in their hands/carts.
I asked one best buy employee how switch was doing and he said it was super crazy, selling way better than anything else.
Mario and Zelda were the big games flying off the shelves.

OneAndOnly

Oct 23, 2017
Congrats to Nintendo! I dont know if the Switch outsold everyone else, but when I went to Best Buy on Black Friday, I saw that thrre were two shelves in the store dedicated entirely to Switch units, which I saw a lot of people get. Ive also seen a few PS4, Xbox One S, and PSVR units laying around, but the Xbox One X was sold out. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but from what I saw, it seems like Nintendo shipped a lot of units for Black Friday so it'll do very well this month.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feels like the shortage of Switch consoles all along may have been to grow the inventory for the holidays. Nintendo wanted to have the stock and the hype to be number one. Seems to have worked.
But this is what they have always done. Only console it didn't work for was the Wii U.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
What mainstream games are you talking about? NBA outperformed expectations, Rocket League, DOOM, and Skyrim have been in the top four of the charts and refuse to budge, and Nintendo's own games are setting sales records, while even poor and shoddy ports with no support or marketing from their publishers like Street Fighter and Xenoverse 2 ended up outperforming all expectations. So is this predicated on just FIFA?

They are usually predicated on UK sales.

Nintex

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo has more or less merged their console and handheld business with the Switch so the system is really performing for replacing 2 systems.
The 3DS is also fading away much faster than expected. (I don't think the Pokemon game will boost 3DS hardware sales much this year).

The Switch launched in March, not typically a time for children to get gifts. So by Christmas with Splatoon 2, Mario, Zelda etc. out there the demand must be astronomical. I mean, the 3DS ran toe to toe with PS4/Xbox One for the past years during the holidays and even exceeded them a few times as prices kept dropping and had none of the buzz behind it that the Switch does. It was just the go-to Nintendo machine because the Wii U flopped.

I'd honestly be surprised if Nintendo didn't take the holiday season crown on hardware as their business relies on it far more than their competitors. Nintendo might also benefit from the EA Wilson Loot-boxes headlines because when picking up what their kids wanted (Disney / Star Wars / Nintendo) Nintendo probably won out for a lot of parents because of the gambling thing. Now software is a different thing especially in units and maybe even revenue. As there seem to be a lot of great deals for popular games and all Nintendo's offerings are full price.

To Nintendo's surprise most Switch owners use it in handheld mode vs TV docked mode, which means that we're looking at a 1 per family member device vs. a 1 per family device.
If you have two kids, you'll likely get two Switches and/or one PS4.

A $199 PS4 is as really great deal but I don't think price has held people back from buying it vs. the Switch. It probably helps Sony a lot to keep Microsoft at bay who just introduced a new $499 console that plays the same multi platform games.

Where I live the stores were doing the exact opposite, offering a very cheap Xbox One vs. the far more popular but expensive PS4 and Switch.
- 177 euro Xbox One S Minecraft bundle

But it doesn't matter how cheap they come if Microsoft doesn't catch the same interest for Xbox as consumers seem have in Nintendo properties.
As of now Microsoft is also not weaponizing their Minecraft IP as an exclusive asset for Xbox but instead releases versions across all the platforms of the same game.

VR isn't taking off in the consumer space yet, so the Switch has all the cards of the 'new holiday gadget' by default.
As far as other competitors are concerned, well Apple completely shit the bed with iPad gaming and moved their focus to designers and businesses instead with the iPad pro.
In the Android tablet sphere nothing of note has happened. So the gaming tablet market is literally Nintendo's for the taking with the Switch as well.
They have no competition there but they do have a very competitive product in that space. Apple has also designed their products and ecosystems that bi-yearly upgrades are pretty much needed.
I don't think many people will upgrade iPads bought during the tablet-craze anytime soon, especially if the kids wanted them for Netflix and gaming.

If Nintendo really wants to corner the market and go from a 70% to a 80% share they should try get the first year exclusive in the gaming space of the Disney streaming service.

Right now from the perspective of the average consumer they're selling a console+handheld+tablet rolled into one. Which at $299 is a great value proposition.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's true. It's going to be the same for physical units sold at retailers too. Saw it first hand. All stores magically had a gigantic surplus of Switch units. I went out like 4 hours after the sales started and they still had inventory and ton of people had them in their hands/carts.
I asked one best buy employee how switch was doing and he said it was super crazy, selling way better than anything else.
Mario and Zelda were the big games flying off the shelves.
It's pretty interesting. Benji over at the NPD thread (and who has access to data of a large part of the US market) said that XB1/PS4 were well ahead of Switch on BF itself, but couldn't predict who of the three would come out on top over the whole month. That tells me that the Switch has been doing really well during the month and also saw a big uptick during BF so as not to have it fall behind. Even if it doesn't win, it seems to have gone toe-to-toe with the PS4 that sold for $199 since November 19th. That is just a great performance.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, this is sales data.

Don't know why people are trying to argue if it's "believable"

It's not the whole picture, but let's not just disregard it...

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Slightly off-topic, but from that graph, it looks like PS3 was ahead of XB360 launch-aligned after just over a year. I always thought it overtook XB360 in the end after a long generation, but apparently it was almost always ahead launch-aligned? Was the PS3 being behind the XB360 until the end just a myth (or, alternatively, a play on words because PS3 launched a year later)?

I mean, this is sales data.

Don't know why people are trying to argue if it's "believable"

It's not the whole picture, but let's not just disregard it...
Exactly: don't take it to represent the whole picture, but definitely derive a great Switch performance from it.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seeing a lot of people arguing about what this data means and what it doesn't.

The methodology can be seen by clicking on the link in the OP and scrolling down the bottom. I'll also copy and paste it here below-

The Adobe Digital Insights 2017 Holiday Predictions Report and Holiday Actuals Report are based on aggregate and anonymized data via the Adobe Analytics and Adobe Experience Cloud. Adobe Analytics measures 80% of online transactions at the largest 100 U.S. web retailers (Source: Internet Retailer 2017). The report model is based on analysis of 1 trillion visits to over 4,500 retail websites and 55 million SKUs. Product analysis is based on more than 6 million orders per day on average during November and December. Companion research is based on surveys with 1,100+ U.S. consumers and 440+ U.S. retailers that sell online and 12 million social mentions from August 1st–October 11th 2017.

As you can see, Adobe's digital tracking system is impressive but it's not providing a complete picture. It is tracking online retail sales only and only captures a certain % of those online transactions.

Ultimately though the data Adobe has captured is pretty telling. It shows that Nintendo Switch is selling well and did sell well on Black Friday. That's the main take away here.

If you want to argue about who "won" or that "This data is wrong" then feel free to post about it on twitter. Not here.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User was banned (24hr) - Drive by trolling
Hopefully now they won't have to rely on gimmicks in their games to sell hardware.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting information, especially the charts tracking multiple days around Thanksgiving.

I always thought that a large portion of console sales happen online but it'll be interesting to see how large that is around BF. I'm sure it's larger than in past years but still probably pretty small relative to most of the year.

Too bad we probably won't see concrete numbers for the month.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but from that graph, it looks like PS3 was ahead of XB360 launch-aligned after just over a year. I always thought it overtook XB360 in the end after a long generation, but apparently it was almost always ahead launch-aligned? Was the PS3 being behind the XB360 until the end just a myth (or, alternatively, a play on words because PS3 launched a year later)?

Playstation 3 released one year after Xbox 360. So even though it sold better than Xbox 360 when launch aligned, it never sold enough to make up for the 10 million or so headstart that Xbox 360 had in its first year.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am pretty sure anything that Nintendo considers fun in the moment is fair game, including visors and waggle, as well as holograms and teleportation gaming 100 years from now.
Wii U had great games with minimal gimmicks late into its lifespan. I'm already feeling serious Open world fatigue after just odyssey and BotW.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully now they won't have to rely on gimmicks in their games to sell hardware.

Can you stop trying to push this agenda in every thread you post in? Really getting old.

I'm truly looking forward to seeing how much stock Nintendo has been able to put up for this holiday season worldwide, it feels like they've been able to ramp up production.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the PS4 is currently selling ahead of the PS2, so I'm not sure this is quite true. Though I highly doubt it will have the insane legs that the PS2 had, so it won't reach 150. 100 should be fairly easy though, considering it is already only $200.
I dont disagree that PS4 might reach Wii total sales, only that PS4 did not have the same lightning in a bottle momentum / insanity. Wii was actually supply constrained for multiple years in the US. No other electronic consumer product in history has been similar except maybe Elmo, ignoring whether Nintendo intentionally restrained supply - which I doubt they did.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
switch domination this holiday.
Well that would be the PS4. The PS4 is dominating.... again.
Nah:
For the month it does. There were hardware weeks before Black Friday and while they aren't as large Nintendo did well during them.

Top seller for November overall is still a toss up imo

Enough supply to meet demand? Not even close.

Question is if that was intentional or not

People really should drop terms like "dominating." Every manufacturer is having a massive November, no need to try and declare one to be dominating based on a small differences imo.

Edit: For the uninitiated, here's Benji introducing himself (take note of all his comments about his knowledge of data, too, so as not to assign meaning to this that he does not give):
Since my posts are being brought up for those unfamiliar I want to make things clear.

While I do have visibility to a large amount of data, it still is not the full picture. Please don't take what I say as absolute truth as I, and no one else for that matter, has the full picture. I only post my insights to help discussion and not to fuel console wars.

Last edited:

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since my posts are being brought up for those unfamiliar I want to make things clear.

While I do have visibility to a large amount of data, it still is not the full picture. Please don't take what I say as absolute truth as I, and no one else for that matter, has the full picture. I only post my insights to help discussion and not to fuel console wars.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, sorry Benji, I should have added a disclaimer like you wrote down. I've added your comment to my post so everyone who reads it will know.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont disagree that PS4 might reach Wii total sales, only that PS4 did not have the same lightning in a bottle momentum / insanity. Wii was actually supply constrained for multiple years in the US. No other electronic consumer product in history has been similar except maybe Elmo, ignoring whether Nintendo intentionally restrained supply - which I doubt they did.
Oh trust me, I remember the Wii insanity very well. I was actually working for the Nielsen company then (the tv ratings people), so I had first hand knowledge on what people owned in their homes. Wiis were EVERYWHERE, and usually in homes you would never expect. You are right, no system will ever gain that sort of initial hype again most likely... But I don't think that was really beneficial in the end. Once the hype ran out so did the sales, and very few Wii sales translated to Wii U sales.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This here might be what puts Nintendo ahead. While Sony and Microsoft focused on making their consoles as not only a console but doubling as a home entertainment center, or the Next Watercooler, this could also backfired on the fact that most place just only have/ need 1 for household.
Nintendo marketing the Switch as a personal device instead, means one same house could get several of it like everyone has its own phone or tablet

Yeah, Its a more widespread issue if you have kids. My daughter is only 6 months old, but if she was older we probably would have gotten a second one sooner.

My sister is sharing her one switch with her 10 year old, and I wouldnt be surprised if she gets a second one.

From my experience so far, kids are obsessed with Splatoon.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
It may have already been asked but do we know if this combines SKU's for items? For example does it add all the various PS4 SKU's for the different bundles or is it track each SKU separately?

Nightwing

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wahahhaha what the heck is this? PSVR charted but not PS4 slim?

Wahaha man this AI logarithm off to a flying start

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Wahahhaha what the heck is this? PSVR charted but not PS4 slim?

Wahaha man this AI logarithm off to a flying start

It's not a purely AI algorithm. It's Adobe tracking a fair number of online retail sales + guess work for the data they don't have. Just as an FYI that's how most sales trackers work. It's how MC, Dengeki, and Famitsu work in Japan. It's also how their numbers end up being different from one another.

Nightwing

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User was banned (24hr) - Ignoring multiple mod warnings earlier in the thread to not make posts like this
It's not a purely AI algorithm. It's Adobe tracking a fair number of online retail sales + guess work for the data they don't have. Just as an FYI that's how most sales trackers work. It's how MC, Dengeki, and Famitsu work in Japan. It's also how their numbers end up being different from one another.
Well they are doing a lousy job then and LOL so you are telling me PSVR sold better than PS4? Again LOL this is like poorman NPD sales data.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL so you are telling me PSVR sold better than PS4? Again LOL this is like poorman NPD sales data.
Maybe it did online? Maybe PS4 was sold out and couldn't accrue much sales? Maybe PS4's bulk of sales came from before Thanksgiving? There could be any number of reasons why, on Thanksgiving in particular, in terms of online sales specifically, the PSVR sold more than the PS4 Slim.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine next year. Hypothetical November 2018: Switch has been out for over a year and a half now so supply is no longer as much of an issue. Nintendo does a Black Friday price cut and launches a bundle with the newly released Pokemon for Switch, which came out in early - mid November.

Wonder how many they'd sell if those things actually aligned?

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I like how Zhuge specifically mentioned earlier to keep your "hurr durr this data is wrong because it paints my plastic box's sales numbers in a bad picture" post out of here and yet you do it

If you want to argue about who "won" or that "This data is wrong" then feel free to post about it on twitter. Not here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine next year. Hypothetical November 2018: Switch has been out for over a year and a half now so supply is no longer as much of an issue. Nintendo does a Black Friday price cut and launches a bundle with the newly released Pokemon for Switch, which came out in early - mid November.

Wonder how many they'd sell if those things actually aligned?

If that 25-30M+ production report from the WSJ is true and they want to ship ~90% of what they produce (due to lag between production and shipping)... Then we might be seeing DS numbers that holiday.

Nightwing

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it did online? Maybe PS4 was sold out and couldn't accrue much sales? Maybe PS4's bulk of sales came from before Thanksgiving? There could be any number of reasons why, on Thanksgiving in particular, in terms of online sales specifically, the PSVR sold more than the PS4 Slim.
Nah man even that's something that I found hard to believe I mean not even X1 charted like really? Kind of wish we could match NPD data later on with this prediction? guess? Logarithm? Whatever this is and get a good laugh LoL