• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As the title says, adp dropped the ball for our entire company, about 1000+ people... No one is able to file a return until it is corrected. Some people already did... Its a shit show. This happened to us down in California -- anyone else get hit by this issue?

Updates are nonsense, now they're saying we have to wait until the 28th to get a W2-c?

No one knows if they already reported incorrect information to the IRS...What happened if they did file the incorrect W2's.. and you filed?

https://www.adp.com/
#downvote

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
You have to file a 1040X to Amend your original return to correct any wrong information you may have filed

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I hope they didn't screw mine up as I already have my refund...

I'm just trying to find out if it was just us in cali or if anyone else had issues. We switched over earlier to them... They forgot to tell everyone with Direct deposit that we were all getting live checks mailed to addresses on file.. Its just been a bit of a wear out.

You have to file a 1040X to Amend your original return to correct any wrong information

My question is, does ADP send the incorrect W2 to the IRS? Then just update it on their end with the new W2...

And would the 1040x correct that information as well?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
My question is, does ADP send the incorrect W2 to the IRS? Then just update it on their end with the new W2...

And would the 1040x correct that information as well?

Yes, they have to send corrected info to the IRS. If they don't, usually be the end of February, you can file a complaint with the IRS.
You have to wait to get the new W-2 before filing a 1040X if you've already filed with the wrong info. I don't think the IRS has a process for just discarding forms already submitted.

Svearik

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta
As the title says, adp dropped the ball for our entire company, about 1000+ people... No one is able to file a return until it is corrected. Some people already did... Its a shit show. This happened to us down in California -- anyone else get hit by this issue?

Updates are nonsense, now they're saying we have to wait until the 28th to get a W2-c?

No one knows if they already reported incorrect information to the IRS...What happened if they did file the incorrect W2's.. and you filed?

https://www.adp.com/
#downvote

What product do you use? ADP payroll, RUN, TotalSource - do you know?

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
What product do you use? ADP payroll, RUN, TotalSource - do you know?

Payroll, id imagine? Im just a worker bee. Says it on the checks.

Yes, they have to send corrected info to the IRS. If they don't, usually be the end of February, you can file a complaint with the IRS.
You have to wait to get the new W-2 before filing a 1040X if you've already filed with the wrong info. I don't think the IRS has a process for just discarding forms already submitted.

Eh, the irs knows mistakes happen, and w2 errors are easy for them to catch and fix. So either you correct via 1040-x or get an adjustment like a year down the line.

Thank you for this. We aren't getting the best info here.

Specific to California I assume? The contracting company I work under also uses ADP and hasn't had anything to say one way or the other...

Thats what Im tryin to figure out on Resetera.. the hub, of the WORLD.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Specific to California I assume? The contracting company I work under also uses ADP and hasn't had anything to say one way or the other...

EDIT: Doesn't seem like we have any issues. Must have somehow missed a couple posts when I looked into the thread. I would imagine it's a company-specific thing then.

Last edited:

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
ADP files taxes specifically for each client so because one client is wrong doesn't mean all clients are wrong. Most likely something got lost in the transition going from the old provider to ADP last year, but it seems they are aware of your company's specific issue and is resolving it. As others have said, it's pretty easy to amend your returns and ADP will be updating the IRS with the corrected information.

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
ADP files taxes specifically for each client so because one client is wrong doesn't mean all clients are wrong. Most likely something got lost in the transition going from the old provider to ADP last year, but it seems they are aware of your company's specific issue and is resolving it. As others have said, it's pretty easy to amend your returns and ADP will be updating the IRS with the corrected information.

As it stands, we are all waiting to file taxes until they figure out who was affected, and who wasn't....We've been told its most of us. Without anyone able to figure out who exactly..... So now we have an update saying they are shooting for the 28th.

discrepancies in wages and deductions. Zoe

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's client based. It would not be an issue with every company.

Applesauce

Oct 27, 2017
The company I work for dumped ADP at the first of the year because their time clocks were constantly malfunctioning, and they didn't offer much of an alternative. But our tax returns have always been fine.

We switched to Paycom, by the way.

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As it stands, we are all waiting to file taxes until they figure out who was affected, and who wasn't....We've been told its most of us. Without anyone able to figure out who exactly..... So now we have an update saying they are shooting for the 28th.

discrepancies in wages and deductions. Zoe

Going through a years worth of pays for over 1000 employees takes time. Rush through it too fast and you make bigger mistakes. Let the process finish and you'll be just fine when you do get your updated W-2.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
ADP's systems are terrible. They consistently stopped accruing vacation and sick hours for my previous entire social work agency at least twice a year. Didn't help that we had an HR person who refused to doublecheck ADP's numbers.

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Going through a years worth of pays for over 1000 employees takes time. Rush through it too fast and you make bigger mistakes. Let the process finish and you'll be just fine when you do get your updated W-2.

Which would be great to explain to your clients versus

"hey most of your w2's are wrong..."

silence

a week later

"we're aiming for the 28th"

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Zoe

A couple weeks isn't bad at all, but they should be upfront about this sort of stuff. Having worked in and around enterprise Quickbooks a bit, there's a ton of data HR is going to have to crunch and I would not envy anyone having to burn the midnight oil to fix this mess.

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
A couple weeks isn't bad at all, but they should be upfront about this sort of stuff. Having worked in and around enterprise Quickbooks a bit, there's a ton of data HR is going to have to crunch and I would not envy anyone having to burn the midnight oil to fix this mess.

Thats why i made the thread. nothings really being explained.... So I figured maybe its a company issue. The time is just a reference to communication. Not being all ants in pants over it, just the fact that this thread is more enlightening than any communication on this end is sorf of unfortunate.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, W2s are due in January. I know because I spent 60 hour weeks in January working on them. They will need to issue you W2cs. If it's the entire company it's possible it's your company's fault and not adp. Do you know how they're wrong?

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yes, W2s are due in January. I know because I spent 60 hour weeks in January working on them. They will need to issue you W2cs. If it's the entire company it's possible it's your company's fault and not adp. Do you know how they're wrong?

"discrepancies in wages and deduction " is all I've got... The email is originating from ADP at the top of the chain.

Isn't everyone working 60hr weeks standard in this economy? heh.

Oct 27, 2017
"discrepancies in wages and deduction " is all I've got... The email is originating from ADP at the top of the chain.

Isn't everyone working 60hr weeks standard in this economy? heh.
More and more it seems.

That can really mean a lot of things. They probably didn't deduct some pretax deductions from your CA income. Or they did and they weren't supposed to. California has some unique rules on HSAs and 401ks.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To alleviate peoples' concern about also using ADP and worrying about W-2s:

If every company using ADP needed a W-2c for each of their employees, that shit would probably be national news. Their clients would be going nuclear.

I work for a payroll/hr company that's a competitor to ADP. If my company fucked up literally every clients' employee W-2s, the company would be decimated. Something like a federal tax table would have to be egregiously incorrect on the payroll company's side for that to happen.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Happened at my work a few years ago. Fortunately I had not filed yet, but it was a big pain in the ass for those that had. We also use ADP.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I think we are square. It'd be a shitshow as we have some 50,000 employees with a good 60-70% of those in NA and under adp.

I noticed our W2s took a couple weeks longer than normal.

I filed the day I got them and I think we would have known by now.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
More and more it seems.

That can really mean a lot of things. They probably didn't deduct some pretax deductions from your CA income. Or they did and they weren't supposed to. California has some unique rules on HSAs and 401ks.
Yeah, a W2 fuckup that isn't hitting all clients (or even all clients in a given state) sounds like it's something that was wrong with how your company's wage types or deductions were configured, like a medical HSA or FSA that was set to follow section 125(medical/dental/vision) rules or some weirdness with imputed income.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
We transitioned from ADP Run to ADP TotalSource last year and after all the issues we have dealt with, messed up W2s would probably cause us to switch back to Run or go with another company. I and the other employees with payroll/HR access have had so many other issues pop up that anything else would be the last straw.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
ADP's systems are terrible. They consistently stopped accruing vacation and sick hours for my previous entire social work agency at least twice a year. Didn't help that we had an HR person who refused to doublecheck ADP's numbers.

That's not ADP that's your hr person not doing due diligence.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
Odds are ADP isn't the issue so people who work for other companies need to calm the hell down. In my experience (payroll for around 7 years) it's usually a bad configuration or a careless processor that causes a problem like this. Not saying ADP is blameless or that they can't be at fault just saying it would be surprising if it was just on them.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm fine with sticking to a cheap ass local payroll company for my employer (I do the payroll). If they fuck up, and they generally have not other than very minor issues that have never affected the employee side, I'm not paying them an arm and a leg to do it.

Hippo_PRIME

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My company uses ADP for payroll and they screwed us up too. Just got W-2cs yesterday. Very bad communication from them all around on this. My company is in multiple states, if that's helpful.

OP
OP
Commedieu

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Update, still no tax returns. They say they've got a big load...So big we wouldn't believe.

Is there some sort of compliance that this is going to fuck up? Experts..chimes, please.

Eat My Jorts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Update, still no tax returns. They say they've got a big load...So big we wouldn't believe.

Is there some sort of compliance that this is going to fuck up? Experts..chimes, please.

Your company will probably get fined by the IRS for not sending out correct W2's in time.

You can extend your return for 6 months. If your job is your only source of income, then your withholding may cover you (though it might not since the GOP's tax bill messed up withholding calculations for a ton of companies). If you have other sources of income, you should pay (or have paid) expected tax on that.

You can still file your return whenever even if you extend it if they get you your W2 on Monday or something.

Last edited: