• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just picked up one of these babies:

Dat3C2TUwAEqqjH.jpg:large

This is an MGCD Dreamcast Jamma adapter. It was only ever sold to arcade distributors in japan, and only by mail. The idea was that it was a cheap alternative to buying a Naomi arcade cabinet. Where a Naomi might cost thousands of dollars excluding the cabinet itself, a dreamcast in those days could be bought for like $100. And since many Naomi titles came to the dreamcast as essentially perfect ports (since Naomi 1 was basically a dreamcast with just more ram), these kits could get you something that feels like a real deal Jamma cabinet at a fraction of the cost.

Dat20hgVAAAW8fh.jpg:large

Inside you see it's actually a stock Japanese Dreamcast secured by a harness that feeds into a small conversion board. That conversion board takes the signal from the dreamcast and converts it into RGB appropriate for JAMMA. The board also provides power through the jamma harness, and feeds the DC buttons into the jamma harness.

There is, in fact, a bug with the harness, though. I suspect these might have, at one point, been supplied with their own cabinets because the harness isn't actually JAMMA compatible. They cut some voltage lines running to the harness to wire up extra buttons, it seems.

My cabinet is actually JAMMA compatible, but has extra kickharness slots for extra buttons (i.e. I don't rock the so-called JAMMA+ "standard" or the NeoGeo JAMMA standard). So, in order to get all this fully working, I'll need to chop up a JAMMA harness and built a custom kickharness. Both of which should be extremely simple (I have spare JAMMA fingerboards laying around anyways).

Dat3Z-uU8AEOD3b.jpg:large

The front of the converter has a row of dipswitches. These are to change which game it's compatible with. In all, it's compatible with about 75-100 games, mostly ones that appeared on the Naomi or similar arcade games. The machine has hardware that monitor's the dreamcast's video signal, and thus can detect specific screens in games. The way it all works is that the system is basically a gen lock that provides an overlay onto your TV screen to display coin count. If the coin count is 0, then it'll lock the controls so you can't start the game. If the machine detects a game over screen, it'll reduce the coin count -- it's programmed to identify specific game over screens according to the dip switches.

If you play a game that it doesn't recognize, there is a general setting that will instead operate on a timer, where each quarter will grant an amount of time to play, up to 256 minutes per quarter. A timer will display on screen.

In all, pretty swank. I have a JAMMA cabinet all ready to go, I just need to make the appropriate mods on the hardware to get it wired up, then I can enjoy some Marvel vs Capcom 2 and 18 Wheeler American Trucker on my actual arcade cabinet.

These things are super uncommon and documentation on them is really sparse. Really glad to have one.

Here's a screenshot of it running from some dude on youtube:

X5T3odw.jpg

His screen is oriented vertically for TATE games so it looks wonky as he's trying Virtua Tennis. You can see the gen lock on screen reporting "04" which means 4 credits have been inserted.

Even better is that I have the sega saturn equivalent coming in the mail, too...

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Super cool, great read. Really is fascinating. Where do you find something like this?

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
I was very close to snatching one of these on ebay but ultimately I decided to leave it. I ended up just building a cab/console hybrid by soldering the arcades controls to the controllers and connecting a CRT VGA TV with the VGA adapter, its a work in progress but on the plus side I also already own NAOMI with GD-ROM that I can connect to the cab.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Wow, this is an interesting piece of hardware. I never even knew that such a thing could exist, that's amazing.

Am I right in thinking that it's not easy to get one of these?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was very close to snatching one of these on ebay but ultimately I decided to leave it. I ended up just building a cab/console hybrid by soldering the arcades controls to the controllers and connecting a CRT VGA TV with the VGA adapter, its a work in progress but on the plus side I also already own NAOMI with GD-ROM that I can connect to the cab.

I have quite a bit of hardware that could support the Naomi, all I really lack is the mainboard. I have a Sega Lindbergh that fully works, and most of the Naomi hardware is cross compatible. Example, the IO Board I use fro the Lindbergh is actually a Naomi IO board. I also have the power switch, and a GD-ROM drive (but nothing on the Lindbergh uses it so it's kinda just there).

I'm actually much more excited for the Saturn one I have coming, as I've been wanting to get Fighters Megamix on my cabinet for ages, and emulation just doesn't cut it.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
There are also ps2 versions that are still sold on places like ali also MVS with ps2 controller ports, lots of odd shit out there.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, also, I picked up a couple of interact V2 dreamcast racing wheels:

jDU1s1N.jpg

I'm going to take these apart and build a racing wheel module for my stand up arcade cabinet. I went with these over the Dream Wheel from Sega because these have peddals, where the Dreamwheel has grips instead. I plan on chopping this wheel apart and wiring up some of the custom buttons on the front to a stick shifter that I can mount onto the cabinet as well. In the end, I plan for this to basically slide ontop of the existing cabinet controls, to convert from a 6-button dual stick setup to an Outrun-esque racing setup.

Which will be boss, because I have the dreamcast Yu Suzuki gameworks collection. Meaning I'll be able to play the 2001 Dreamcast remake of outrun on a real cabinet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are also ps2 versions that are still sold on places like ali also MVS with ps2 controller ports, lots of odd shit out there.

The PS2 versions are actually built out of modified left over stock from the DC version it seems. I had a chance to get the PS2 version as well, and the guy was telling me it could easily work with the DC, too, but the board wouldn't detect DC games. Different software running on the board or something. But the hardware itself was just a modified Dreamcast board, with a component RCA jack soldered onto it. So you have to supply your own AV cable on the PS2 version. Also, the PS2 version doesn't come with a shell or fan like the DC version does, just an exposed PCB.

I have a real one-slot MVS though for my jamma cabinet with a custom kickharness, so no need to go an MGCD route for that. My MVS has a unibios on it, too.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Here is a blurry ass pick of what I'm working on eventually the top half will get completed. Naomi will go in there too and use the maple adapters to connect with the DC controller connectors. I'm also close to purchasing a whole MVC2 cab.

Yeah same here with my MVS I added the unibios as soon as I got mine years ago.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here is a blurry ass pick of what I'm working on eventually the top half will get completed. Naomi will go in there too and use the maple adapters to connect with the DC controller connectors. I'm also close to purchasing a whole MVC2 cab.

Yeah same here with my MVS I added the unibios as soon as I got mine years ago.

What kind of monitor is that? Is that an Olevia? That looks super close to what my very first HDTV was, haha.

I actually made a topic a long while back on my cabinet:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-story-of-my-restored-arcade-cabinet.19044/

DUd2E8eVwAABUlz.jpg

My cabinet is wired for JAMMA, and also has a modern PC inside. It also has a connection on the front for VR headsets, so I can boot up Neon Arcade and feel like i'm in an old ass tilt again, haha.

It is, by far, my most used gaming platform these days. Since moving the cabinet into my place, I've played it way, way more than any other system. Granted, that's because inside is really a modern PC, and about 120 hours sunk into the cabinet have gone directly into Dragon Ball FighterZ, but still. Tons and tons and tons of use. This DC adapter will really increase the amount I play it. I work from home usually, so what I do is keep the cabinet running in the background, and when I need a break from programming, I just turn around and have a 5 minute go.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does this have a melty blood port

These are normal dreamcast games, so no. This is turning a Dreamcast into something JAMMA compatible, not making the dreamcast run any new games or anything like that.

But my cabinet also has a modern PC inside, that runs steam, and thus I can run any of the melty blood games from steam on my cabinet.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a Phillips CRT with VGA $9.00 at the Goodwill couldn't pass it up.

Ah! My cabinet had a CRT inside until last year, it was small but I really liked it. Even with shaders and everything available, there is still nothing like a CRT. Sadly, when I moved my cabinet into my current place, the coils inside the CRT warped and no degaussing would work. So a lower 1/4 of the screen was discolored in the corner.

I had to toss it out, and finding a new screen to replace it was a nightmare because of viewing angles and such. Eventually settled on a Sony Playstation 3D Monitor (remember those?) that actually works great, and was JUUUUUST the right dimensions (had to remove the case, though).

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, this is interesting. Thanks for the detailed breakdown and congrats on the obscure pick-up!

signal

Oct 28, 2017
These are normal dreamcast games, so no. This is turning a Dreamcast into something JAMMA compatible, not making the dreamcast run any new games or anything like that.

But my cabinet also has a modern PC inside, that runs steam, and thus I can run any of the melty blood games from steam on my cabinet.
Useless then! Actually didn't know if DC ever got a port, was just aware of the PS2 one and have seen the melty naomi discs irl, hence the question.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Useless then! Actually didn't know if DC ever got a port, was just aware of the PS2 one and have seen the melty naomi discs irl, hence the question.

yeah, the naomi took GD-ROMS, but they're incompatible with the dreamcast because they use more ram than the DC has.

ALTHOUGH, it is worth noting that it IS possible to soldier more ram onto the dreamcast. There is an unpopulated slot on the DC motherboard for a second ram chip. When doing DC development, if you soldier more ram onto that slot, it gets addressed and you can use it. But I still doubt somehting like Melty Blood would run even on a modded Dreamcast (although you can boot the Naomi bios on a DC).

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah nothing like CRT, I have 2 extra CGA monitors in my garage that need new boards and cabs that will eventually get a home. I had 3 but I just noticed my wife tried to move one which is a 25" out of a Virtual On cab and looks like she dropped it right on the yoke and killed it. Hey I noticed that adapter doesn't have the memory card adapter the one I almost bought had it.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
yeah, the naomi took GD-ROMS, but they're incompatible with the dreamcast because they use more ram than the DC has.

ALTHOUGH, it is worth noting that it IS possible to soldier more ram onto the dreamcast. There is an unpopulated slot on the DC motherboard for a second ram chip. When doing DC development, if you soldier more ram onto that slot, it gets addressed and you can use it. But I still doubt somehting like Melty Blood would run even on a modded Dreamcast (although you can boot the Naomi bios on a DC).
Wouldn't run on a DC because of tech limitations or something else?

Was looking for a photo of the stuff melty kit I saw but can't so here's random naomi beep kit instead for no reason.
VxXzBLO.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't run on a DC because of tech limitations or something else?

I would assume there would be a number of small problems preventing it from boot, all technical. But IDK, I have never tried and neither has anyone else I've ever met online. In fact, knowledge about being able to expand the DC's memory is pretty obscure in and of itself.