• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I find it difficult to sympathize with those who would oppose the occupation of vacant housing by homeless people. Even as a property owner myself I tend to view the occupation as the lesser evil.

They're not abandoned vacant housing, they're houses up for sale that nobody lives in because they're still on the market. Often new constructions, not rundown neglected property. Although I admit I do enjoy the image of a bunch of homeless people living it up in a brand new McMansion full of stage furniture while frustrated realtors repeatedly call the thoroughly uninterested LAPD.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP is this you?

His possession lasted only 8 months, he would have been full owner if he made it 3 years. His neighbors would have still had a problem if he paid for it outright. Nosy assholes.
Welcome to how to piss off the neighborhood, get an eviction on your credit, and possibly get arrested for B&E, the thread. C'mon OP if you want the house act like an adult, find out who owns it, see if they're using it, and if not make a low-ball offer on it.
Lol nothing infantile about it. Adults wrote adverse possession laws.

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017
I recall several law school cases from Puerto Rico just to give you a flavor of how it works. I don't recall the details but it went something like:

In the late 19th century (yep, we're going there) up in the mountains (that time forgot) the father "bought" the house and didnt add it to the registry. The seller's son and the buyer's son (the second generation) got into a bitchfight (the sort of family feud that happens in small towns in the middle of nowhere) and the question was whether the father had good or bad faith and whether you could add the buyer's son years living the house to the adverse possession years (30). The case was decided sometime in the 1950s.

So you can see how adverse possession works in the context of a rural society about a 100 years ago and it took two generations to make it happen. It made perfect sense way back then. But you can never get away with it in the 21st century.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
OP is this you?

His possession lasted only 8 months, he would have been full owner if he made it 3 years. His neighbors would have still had a problem if he paid for it outright. Nosy assholes.

Lol nothing infantile about it. Adults wrote adverse possession laws.

Adults also wrote civil forfeiture law. Doesn't make it any less bullshit to steal from people.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So you can see how adverse possession works in the context of a rural society about a 100 years ago and it took two generations to make it happen. It made perfect sense way back then. But you can never get away with it in the 21st century.

Another 20 years of overseas investors pouring dirty money into UK properties they've never even seen a photo of let alone visited, and I'm sure these laws will be needed again.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
So this is when you knowingly move into in an abandoned property and take legal ownership of the title. Usually for a set amount of time (10 years is the usual amount).

I'm seriously thinking about doing this in the town I'm in the now. I can tell there's an abandoned house around me. About ten miles down the road but in good condition.

We got any lawyers here on era? What's the proper protocol? I just move in and change the locks? I need to see if anyone owns it first like a bank or something?

Heh, I'm a lawyer (but I am NOT advising you to do this).

I'm just remembering from law school how this one of everyone's favorite topics. Every time we saw an abandoned building, we always thought of how to "adversely posses it."

"Remember, for it to be openly hostile, you need to cut the grass and let the dog poop in the yard at least once a week!" lol

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a lawyer, but I work in title. The laws vary, but the general concept is that must you just be living there "openly", and you must be paying for the upkeep of the home(i.e taxes among other items), etc. The chances of pulling it off are pretty low, but doable. Historically the most common cases of adverse possession actually working are involving an owner dying while someone else is also living in the home, but there cases of what you described working as well. If your plan is to break in and change the locks, don't get caught.

If the property is city or government owned you cannot take ownership through adverse possession iirc, but in the case of something like that you may be able to contact them and work on a deal beforehand. I would say your first step is to figure out who owns the building, and if taxes are being paid on it. If the taxes are being paid by someone you're not going to be able to possess it regardless of what you do.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Here (Quebec), you have to act in good faith, i.e. truly believe it's yours. It usually only works when someone puts its fence a few feet inside his neighbour's yard by error and no one notices.
What you're trying to do wouldn't fly. But the law changes from one jurisdiction to another so who knows.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well, going by dog law, all you have to do is pee on something and it becomes your territory.

I would try that.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
If he goes in there and starts paying taxes and announces (to the gov't) that this is his property now, what's stopping them, the bank or the previous owner from saying "no its not"

Nothing. That's why it really only works with abandoned properties.

I can't imagine how someone could live normally under these circumstances. Like, as someone who is not the legal resident of a property and the city has no record of someone living there, how would you get utilities like water, electricity, or gas/oil, let alone things like internet? ANd then, if you're getting those things like say city water, you have to pay for them or else you're going delinquent on bills.

Let's say after 10 years you become the legal owner of this property, in the off chance that the property remains unchanged, the city would go looking for back taxes on you as you hadn't been paying property taxes for 10 years on a property that you're claiming legal ownership of.

Also, not as many properties as "abandoned" as you think. There's an "abandoned" house behind my house, but ... it's not really abandoned. The old owner died about 2 years ago and the property is owned by the company that he used to work for, he lived there in exchange for being the grounds keeper for a much larger property which is a non-profit. The location of the house is a good deal away (miles) from where people would associate the place he worked for, so most people would passively think this is just some abandoned house in the woods. This house is behind my house, it's abandoned, the roof is falling in, noone has lived in it for a year, but if someone broke in and started rummaging around or living there, I'm calling the police, and I wouldn't just *not* notice... neighbors notice things, and the old people in my neighborhood notice *everything*.

You can't not pay taxes. For adverse possession to work you have to be open and notorious about it. You have to pay taxes. You have to pay utilities. You have to get mail there.

If you do it in secret, it is not adverse and the clock never runs.

Masseyme

Banned
May 23, 2019
You have to check if its owned above all. It could easily be owned by someone that's just sitting on the property for hopes of the value increasing.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Next thread: "Guys I got kicked out of my house"
*several posts later*
"OP was trying to invoke Adverse possession"

LOL, OP pls explain how it goes. We all must know

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Someone must be paying for the utilities at least
We're pretty far out of town. I could see It as someone had autopay utilities on the property and died on vacation or something and it's just perpetually being paid for out of a bank account no one uses. I'm telling you there's been no activity at that house for 5 months and an abandoned car is at the house too that hasn't moved once since I've been here.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
By that logic you could take my car because it's out in the lot and no one is there. Also you could take someone's project car out of their driveway while they're on vacation because no one is there. Lets go raid storage facilities, it's legal because no one is there.

Well, storage facilities are sold off if abandoned.. that's actually a bad example. And I'd say yes I could take your car if I see it sitting there rusting for 1 year and is never used.

machine

Oct 25, 2017
Property taxes are a big issue here. If someone else is still paying them, you don't have a shot. If no one is paying them and you start, you better hope you get the ten years in (assuming that's the number for adverse possession in your state) because if you are booted in year nine and have been paying taxes that whole time you may not get any of that money back. If no one else is paying taxes and you decide not to pay them either, then the property will go to tax foreclosure sale in the near future and you will be booted.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
By that logic you could take my car because it's out in the lot and no one is there. Also you could take someone's project car out of their driveway while they're on vacation because no one is there. Lets go raid storage facilities, it's legal because no one is there.
The difference is that unlike cars, housing is a very limited and essential resource. You are not at risk of dying of exposure when you don't have a car.

Do It, no owner no victims.
OP will be the victim when this plan blows up in their face

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

If you left that car out there for quite a long time, let's say several years i'd say yeah? That would probably happen and i'd not really consider it stealing.
Storage facilities obviously don't count as abandoned. Seeing as you have to be there for 10 years to actually own it i'd definitely not call it stealing. I don't think it's something i'd recommended but would definitely not call it stealing either.

People are reacting as if OP is squatting on a home where the owner is just away for a day lol. If the home is truly abandoned I see no issue with it. I also think 10 years is quite a long time and it's not likely to work out for OP though.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I need to find an abandoned home in a scenic, rural area to take possession of. I want a vacation home, but I'm not wealthy enough yet to afford a 2nd mortgage.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
If you left that car out there for quite a long time, let's say several years i'd say yeah? That would probably happen and i'd not really consider it stealing.
Storage facilities obviously don't count as abandoned. Seeing as you have to be there for 10 years to actually own it i'd definitely not call it stealing. I don't think it's something i'd recommended but would definitely not call it stealing either.

People are reacting as if OP is squatting on a home where the owner is just away for a day lol. If the home is truly abandoned I see no issue with it. I also think 10 years is quite a long time and it's not likely to work out for OP though.
OP is talking about a place where someone is paying power bills. That change anything?

Deleted member 896

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember someone pulling this off a few years ago.

There are stories that pop up from time to time. But I think often if you follow up on it and see if it actually panned out for them, often times you'll find that it didn't. I remember one story years ago that made some national headlines and just now decided to see how the story ended:

Kenneth Robinson has finally been kicked out of the $340,000 home that he had lived in since June for $16.

Robinson, 51, lived on Waterford Drive in Flower Mound, Texas, but he did not own or rent the home he claimed he had a right to live in. After the owner abandoned the property, which had been in foreclosure for over a year, and the mortgage company reportedly went out of business, he submitted a $16 filing fee at the local courthouse, claiming the law of "adverse possession" gave him the right to occupy the home.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Lights are on and a car in the driveway.

Sounds like someone owns it and the entire reason for the lights and he car is so people think someone is home, that way someone doesn't break in.

What is the reason for this idea anyways? Trying to snatch a house for cheap?

pdog128

Dec 16, 2017
I think adverse possession is used more in property disputes, not outright taking of property. Like if I built a fence over my property line into a neighbor's lot that is unused, maintained it, mowed the land, planted trees, etc for years and years. But then the lot is sold and my neighbor wants to tear the fence down. Something like that. Or maybe mineral or timber rights, that sort of thing. I know it applies to squatting, but that seems too brazen to get away with for a decade plus.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
In Arkansas you only have to live in, maintain, and pay taxes for a period of 7 years. And there are A LOT of cool abandoned homes in the Ozarks.

Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.