• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's an interesting loophole with adverse possession: if you're able to prove that it's your property by testifying about something in or on it that nobody but the owner would know (like, say, a knife left in a drain), then you don't have to wait out the full period.

I still think it would be better for OP to get a nice easy job like movie producer than to try to steal someone else's house.
Also, if you mail yourself a letter at the house, it proves you rightfully live there and you don't have to wait 10 years. Magic!

Actually, they're both nonsense.
OP should make sure they're not in jail or in the military, which can toll the required period of adverse possession.

Edit: saw the spoiler. Lol

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I would die laughing if the property owners did something like "Thanks for maintaining our property while we were away but kindly fuck off as we are the rightful owners of it".
Or jack up the property insurance several months earlier without acknowledging the situation, then once it was in full effect go throw a few molotovs through the window some night and frame the squatter for arson/property damage while collecting a fat check.

Really relying on the morality of someone you're trying to rip off in a scenario like this...

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
You just gonna sit in a dark house for the next 10 years, OP?

Assuming you couldn't just get an electrical company to take your money, you could always just buy an electric car and use the fully charged battery as a power source overnight. Or you could simply learn to be frugal in your use of electricity.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Adverse possession is real but I think with all the guns and nutcases in America it's a very risky proposition.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
What up I am a lawyer, did you say what state you were in. Most of the time you are responsible for the taxes as well

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Also where the hell did OP go, isn't answering any questions about what his current living situation even is

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My old boss - ahem - obtained about a half acre of golf course woods doing this. They wouldn't clear it up and so he fenced it into his yard - documented it and eventually won it in a short civil suit - he'd sent them a bunch of complaints- I think it took either ten or fifteen years to become legal. Not the US but that appears to be a law or variant of it in multiple countries.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Property taxes are less than rent. If you can live at a discount for a few years, even if you are eventually kicked out, you've still come out ahead. Property owner had someone maintaining and you had a cheap place to live.

The law is written to benefit the community. Not the individual.
the average Alabama homeowner pays just $550 per year in property taxes.

So yes I'd save a shit ton on rent

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's worse? Adversely possessing a house and it's warm, or picking up a weight at the gym and it's warm?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's an interesting loophole with adverse possession: if you're able to prove that it's your property by testifying about something in or on it that nobody but the owner would know (like, say, a knife left in a drain), then you don't have to wait out the full period.

I still think it would be better for OP to get a nice easy job like movie producer than to try to steal someone else's house.

Only works if your cat pic goes viral while in the vacant home.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
If there's a car there and lights come on I'd seriously think someone living there might ihave passed and had no family, etc or anyone to check on them. Maybe had their electric bill set up to autopay and money in their account so it's staying paid.

Might want to check on that if it is.

Nov 1, 2017
Well, storage facilities are sold off if abandoned.. that's actually a bad example. And I'd say yes I could take your car if I see it sitting there rusting for 1 year and is never used.

I had two back-to-back deployments to Iraq during 'the surge' through 2007/2008. My wife had cheated on and left me and that meant the property (that I was actively renting) was just sitting vacant, along with my car.

On the second tour, (15 months) I couldn't take leave until the 11th month. And only had a short 18 days to try and get my life figured out during that time before going back for another four months.

I spent my time on leave in another state with my friends and family because of the difficult time I had had coping with multiple issues. You're telling me, that you would have zero issues with just taking my car and who knows, squatting in the house I was renting, while I was away for a year plus?

You're unbelievable.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm going to do this everyone. Don't give a shit if you don't like it. It's definitely abandoned by the original owner and the squatter that was already there. Went to the house today and rang the doorbell and knocked loudly. Then tried the doorknob and it was unlocked. Took a photo of the house and the inside living room but didn't go further in. I yelled loudly of anyone was living there before walking inside. Was no answer. Think this is my new home maybe.

Mod Edit: Removed Pictures

Last edited by a moderator:

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Adverse possession is real but I think with all the guns and nutcases in America it's a very risky proposition.
It's even more American to do it if it requires grit and nerve

I think I'm going to do this everyone. Don't give a shit if you don't like it. It's definitely abandoned by the original owner and the squatter that was already there. Went to the house today and rang the doorbell and knocked loudly. Then tried the doorknob and it was unlocked. Took a photo of the house and the inside living room but didn't go further in. I yelled loudly of anyone was living there before walking inside. Was no answer. Think this is my new home maybe.

Efl94fe.jpg

rQVstye.jpg
wait wait wait, do we have any lawyers on ERA who are also lawncare experts? not sure that grass looks 5 months unattended to me. opinions?

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's even more American to do it if it requires grit and nerve

wait wait wait, do we have any lawyers on ERA who are also lawncare experts? not sure that grass looks 5 months unattended to me. opinions?
That lawn is definitely uncut. You can see strands of weeds growing over the rest of the grass.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Are you gonna clean it up and move in completely? Or are you gonna wait a bit?

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Are you gonna clean it up and move in completely? Or are you gonna wait a bit?
Well, for it to be adverse possession I need to openly declare it's mine. So i would be cleaning it and moving in completely. Then pay taxes on the property and get the utilities in my name, etc. Obviously change the locks because don't know if the squatter would return.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Lmao Adverse Possession is probably the wildest thing I learned in lawschool.

It kind of made perfect sense for me lol

I guess this is because a couple of years before I studied law, an earthquake and Tsunami hit the countri. I went as voluntary aid to make a census of the damage, and met so many people that lost their houses with so many, many "vacation" houses that weren't used in years. And they were there, with their owners unreachable to see if at least they would allow to have people for limited time. Waste of resources.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is when you knowingly move into in an abandoned property and take legal ownership of the title. Usually for a set amount of time (10 years is the usual amount).

I'm seriously thinking about doing this in the town I'm in the now. I can tell there's an abandoned house around me. About ten miles down the road but in good condition.

We got any lawyers here on era? What's the proper protocol? I just move in and change the locks? I need to see if anyone owns it first like a bank or something?
Move in and create a new thread with daily updates, I will subscribe :)

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That lawn is definitely uncut. You can see strands of weeds growing over the rest of the grass.
it's uncut, but for how long? we need some CSI analysis on the type and blade length

OP take a ground level shot of the grass.

are there any wall calendars up in the house, with a final ominous appointment circled in red marker?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt it's some kind of rare situation where no one living owns the house.

Successful squatters rights cases usually only happen on like vast stretches of land in Alaska/mountain states. Basically someone owns it but they don't notice someone is living there making improvements. So whatever chunk you've actively improved (iirc it's usually 20 years, not 10), becomes yours but a judge still has to go with it.

One of the elements is open and obvious possession. So you can't be all like sneaky about it. Your case is actually stronger if the owner does notice but just never does anything about it, but that's very unlikely obviously.

It basically never happens.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt it's some kind of rare situation where no one living owns the house.

Successful squatters rights cases usually successfully only happen on like vast stretches of land in Alaska/mountain states. Basically someone owns it but they don't notice someone is living there making improvements. So whatever chunk you've actively improved (iirc it's usually 20 years, not 10), becomes yours but a judge still has to go with it.

It basically never happens.
Well it's time for a miracle.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Efl94fe.jpg

rQVstye.jpg
Disgusting

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you're going to make an incredibly stupid mistake, at least keep us updated!

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haha wow. I really don't think you'll get away with it OP but I'll read the updates for sure

You might want to think about how this thread would look to a judge (hi your honour)

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Efl94fe.jpg

rQVstye.jpg

From the look of those cans someone has beaten you too it.

And imo that grass would be way more overgrown if it's been abandoned even just all of this year.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Efl94fe.jpg

rQVstye.jpg
Are you fucking nuts?

That house is inhabited. You gonna get shot.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking lights on the porch being on 24/7 is some indication of vacancy is some fucking dumb logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.