• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking lights on the porch being on 24/7 is some indication of vacancy is some fucking dumb logic.
That's probably what they wanted people to think. But the fridge ( I walked around to the back) had an old white woman and grandkids on the fridge. Whoever squatted first must have gone away too. That car to the left of the house has four flats and is rusting. I'm telling you they're getting electricity for free somehow in there. There were were spider webs on the door handle when I opened it.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Subscribed. If you're gonna do it OP, do it right. Look up the property records. Also check local law to see if you have to make any legal notifications. And don't steal utilities. Got to pay those bills.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck all these Debbie Downers telling you not to do it. Go for it! Honestly I think your biggest concern should be your safety. Make sure its empty, don't get into any verbal altercations if someone does show up.

That said I hope you have a backup plan because 10 years is a long time.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm going to do this everyone. Don't give a shit if you don't like it. It's definitely abandoned by the original owner and the squatter that was already there. Went to the house today and rang the doorbell and knocked loudly. Then tried the doorknob and it was unlocked. Took a photo of the house and the inside living room but didn't go further in. I yelled loudly of anyone was living there before walking inside. Was no answer. Think this is my new home maybe.

Efl94fe.jpg

rQVstye.jpg

Uh. Apart from the cans. That house looks nicely painted. There is a car in the driveway and someone is paying the electricity. That doesn't sound abandoned to me. That grass is even maintained and looks shorter than mine right now.

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
Uh. Apart from the cans. That house looks nicely painted. There is a car in the driveway and someone is paying the electricity. That doesn't sound abandoned to me. That grass is even maintained and looks shorter than mine right now.
I'm telling you no one was there. I opened the door, the kitchen light was on, i yelled as loud as i could "Is anyone here?" "I'm coming in". Then i went in and took the photo from the front door. Then went to the back porch, opened that door and saw the fridge and photos and then yelled again. No one. the car has 4 flats and is rusting. And I have never seen another car pull up to that house for the time i've been around here since january 31st. not even at like 1am has there been another car in that driveway. I'm pretty sure this place has been abandoned. Got some step brothers coming over tonight. maybe we'll go back together and check the rest of the house out to be sure. but I think this is doable.

Fuck all these Debbie Downers telling you not to do it. Go for it! Honestly I think your biggest concern should be your safety. Make sure its empty, don't get into any verbal altercations if someone does show up.

That said I hope you have a backup plan because 10 years is a long time.
If I get a job somewhere else I'll just pack up and leave and not give a shit. Paying rent alone would be more than just paying the taxes here in Alabama.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling you no one was there. I opened the door, the kitchen light was on, i yelled as loud as i could "Is anyone here?" "I'm coming in". Then i went in and took the photo from the front door. Then went to the back porch, opened that door and saw the fridge and photos and then yelled again. No one. the car has 4 flats and is rusting. And I have never seen another car pull up to that house for the time i've been around here since january 31st. not even at like 1am has there been another car in that driveway. I'm pretty sure this place has been abandoned. Got some step brothers coming over tonight. maybe we'll go back together and check the rest of the house out to be sure. but I think this is doable.
You ever think about sticking around for more than just your peep show? How do you know the person who drinks the beer didn't come back an hour or so later?

Also...maybe the person who drinks all that beer cannot legally drive.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

Why the hell is the lawn mowed? Do you think it just maintains itself?

Mar 29, 2018
Post this on r/legaladvice or whatever

Edit: I'm actually with you on this but DEFINITELY ask for legal advice first

Two potential bad outcomes:
- the person who does live there but had to run away at the drop of a hat comes back - and finds you, and sues you, and your life is ruined
- the person who does live there is one sketchy motherfucker like a drug dealer or criminal, perhaps high up enough to give no fucks about security, and you'll just be squatting in their house

OP
OP
BladeoftheImmortal
Oct 27, 2017
You ever think about sticking around for more than just your peep show? How do you know the person who drinks the beer didn't come back an hour or so later?
I'm saying I've been around here for 4 months+ and have never seen anyone near or around that house no matter what time of day or night.

Why the hell is the lawn mowed? Do you think it just maintains itself?
It's not mowed, you can see the weeds growing from the ground.

It's all brick, it doesn't need painting.

Oct 25, 2017

It doesn't matter if no one is there right now. People can be gone for months at a time and still not abandon the place. My father in law has a place in Palm Springs and he is only there for 5 months of the year. Just because he isn't there for 7 months doesn't mean it's abandoned. Have you even checked to see who it is registered to? Who is paying the electrical bill?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
i have a friend who owns a piece of property they visit once every couple years. This thread is unbelievably stupid. That house is in amazing condition. I'm sorry but I'm dying at "think this is my new house now" lmao. So so naive. I have a friend who tries to pull shit like this all the time, it's hysterical, he constantly thinks he has a leg up on the system.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
OP gonna either get arrested or evicted like 3 days into his 10 year stint. That or he didn't make his possession open and hostile and the 10 years was for nothing.

okay

Oct 25, 2017
I'll look them up later. And public records would show that someone just up and left? I'll mark down the address after going back tonight. I'll go with my stepbrothers so we can check the whole place out.
You can see where the tax bills get mailed to see if an out of state resident owns it, see if they have a mortgage and if taxes are paid from escrow, see who holds title, google their names for an obituary or see if a death certificate was recorded or a probate filed.

Go nuts

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can see where the tax bills get mailed to see if an out of state resident owns it, see if they have a mortgage and if taxes are paid from escrow, see who holds title, google their names for an obituary or see if a death certificate was recorded or a probate filed.

Go nuts
Don't worry, OP will just go through the mail to find all that information.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Are you fucking nuts?

That house is inhabited. You gonna get shot.

Muricka, amirite?

Unless the beer drinker has beaten you to the adverse possession thing.

If the beer drinker comes by, the original poster can give them back the empty cans. It's called adverse possession, which implies securing and defending the property. Drinking beer and then wandering off doesn't count as possession.

I still think original poster needs to do their homework on the property's history, but so far it's not evident that they are breaking any laws.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing OP watched the Half As Interesting video uploaded yesterday

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're gonna see a nice uptick of people like OP thinking they've got a grand secret to free houses now.
Thankfully, if you watch the video in its entirety the average person will know there is virtually no way of getting away with it on a scale of actually getting someone's whole house. Bits of property on odd shaped lots? Absolutely. The pre-squatted house with a maintained lawn the OP posted? Not a fuckin' chance

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Thankfully, if you watch the video in its entirety the average person will know there is virtually no way of getting away with it on a scale of actually getting someone's whole house. Bits of property on odd shaped lots? Absolutely. The pre-squatted house with a maintained lawn the OP posted? Not a fuckin' chance

You say that, and yet look at the amount of arm chair lawyers in this thread as well as OP.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If the beer drinker comes by, the original poster can give them back the empty cans. It's called adverse possession, which implies securing and defending the property. Drinking beer and then wandering off doesn't count as possession.

I still think original poster needs to do their homework on the property's history, but so far it's not evident that they are breaking any laws.
it's not that you have to secure and defend the property, it's that your use has to be open and notorious

move the beers to the lawn

Status
Not open for further replies.