• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Hopefully OP doesn't find a body in the basement. What if beer can drinker has been scoping OP and setting them up for the fall?

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Congrats on the new home OP! Whats the etiquette here? Do we get him a housewarming gift?

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

if OP is coming around the place with some family as backup, it sounds like they're getting ready to try to invoke Castle Doctrine in a house that isn't theirs

i'm pretty sure "reverse castle doctrine" is known as a home invasion.

ummmm OP is dead if it is Alabama and he tries this. someones gonna roll up with their shotgun, yell roll tide, and he's dead.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only works if your cat pic goes viral while in the vacant home.
Didn't it get like 87 likes?
I highly doubt it's some kind of rare situation where no one living owns the house.

Successful squatters rights cases usually only happen on like vast stretches of land in Alaska/mountain states. Basically someone owns it but they don't notice someone is living there making improvements. So whatever chunk you've actively improved (iirc it's usually 20 years, not 10), becomes yours but a judge still has to go with it.

One of the elements is open and obvious possession. So you can't be all like sneaky about it. Your case is actually stronger if the owner does notice but just never does anything about it, but that's very unlikely obviously.

It basically never happens.
It's 10 where he is.
That's probably what they wanted people to think. But the fridge ( I walked around to the back) had an old white woman and grandkids on the fridge. Whoever squatted first must have gone away too. That car to the left of the house has four flats and is rusting. I'm telling you they're getting electricity for free somehow in there. There were were spider webs on the door handle when I opened it.
Stealing an old woman's house? Classy.
Those beer cans crack me up. In a little circle around the couch. You should rearrange them into a Night King spiral symbol.
Don't forget OP

possession is 9/10 of the law

Although I'm sure you already know this.
Lol that's not true at all. Google "finders laws"

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
The chances of successfully getting adverse possession are slim, but the chances of getting shot are actually pretty good between the squatter, owner, and county sheriff.

So like, go nuts OP, I'm sure this won't be a huge mistake.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just here to add one more to the narrative that adverse possession is a thing of law school hypotheticals and it is not a practical way to get property. It is deliberately designed such that it is not a viable way for the average person to benefit from it. Indeed, adverse possession is better understood as a doctrine that exists to prevent obviously negligent landowners from retaining title over land that they no longer care to maintain.

This is a stupid plan. On top of being stupid, it's also dangerous. Don't do it.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably what they wanted people to think. But the fridge ( I walked around to the back) had an old white woman and grandkids on the fridge. Whoever squatted first must have gone away too. That car to the left of the house has four flats and is rusting. I'm telling you they're getting electricity for free somehow in there. There were were spider webs on the door handle when I opened it.

Who wanted people to think? The person who pays the utilities and checks on the house every few weeks, which you haven't seen because you aren't there every minute of every day, or...?

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is viral marketing for a new Netflix film.

A naive man thinks he can simply move into a long abandoned house and take possession....until an entity takes possession...
of him....

Adverse Possession

June 14th

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If you insist on going through with this horrible idea, at least set up a camera somewhere first to make sure there's no one going in and out.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Quick someone find the address and call the real owner to let then know what is happening.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

I don't know how I missed this. That old woman is either in a home or died and that house belongs to her children. They probably pop in every few months to maintain it, which is why the lawn is somewhat shorter, the lights are on, and the squatter beers have been rounded up.

I'm convinced this thread is a joke it has to be.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how I missed this. That old woman is either in a home or died and that house belongs to her children. They probably pop in every few months to maintain it, which is why the lawn is somewhat shorter, the lights are on, and the squatter beers have been rounded up.

Yep.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

These types of threads are stupid.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I want to know how you think the house is getting electricity for free. That doesn't happen, someone is paying the bill, period.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is viral marketing for a new Netflix film.

A naive man thinks he can simply move into a long abandoned house and take possession....until an entity takes possession...
of him....

Adverse Possession

June 14th
I can already see checks being written for this idea.
Adverse Possesion: 2 Squat 2 Spookious
Adverse Possesion 3: House Alone
Adverse Possesion IV: The Pr3qual
Adverse Possesion: 5 years later
Adverse Possesion: The Tenth Year

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Since this appears abandoned I'm taking ownership. I declare adverse possession over this thread.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
OP, this is an easy way to get killed without much repercussion. This is an easy way to pick-up pointless criminal charges. This is an easy way to get homeless right quick. You're already got evidence of one removed squatter. You don't wanna be another.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
OP gonna throw the best party in 10 years and the haters aren't invited

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Uhh, that property doesn't look abandoned at all. The pile of beer cans is kinda hilarious, but let's be real, some people are slobs, and at least all the cans are swept together. I was expecting like trash strewn everywhere, furniture falling apart, roof missing lots of shingles, that kind of thing.

Also 5 months is not a long time. My parents are retired and spend more than half the year gone. They pay a neighbour to help look after their home while they're away. I'm guessing that's the case with this property. The "previous squatter" is probably someone who checks in occasionally and mows the lawn and such.

Edit: I think the best way to put this is: the property is unoccupied, not abandoned.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
There's no way that house is abandoned, there was no dust on the floor. Unless houses in Alabama don't get dusty?

I can't imagine not taking the first logical step of this whole thing, checking your local records for ownership, and instead trespassing and risk getting shot

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I'd honestly fear for my life being in there. But if OP doesn't, I really hope we get proper documentation of how everything unfolds.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Squatting is an ethical movement and I know many people who do.

I know some who now own the abandoned properties they had lived in for years.

Too many abandoned properties lie wasted in cities, for example. We could solve so much of our homeless problem by repurposing them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've been here for about 5 months now and this house has an abandoned car in the driveway with the lights on the front porch on day and night. Like no one has been in or out of this place for a very long time. Seems like a waste.

Keep it up. Have a back up plan in case the owner(s) return, otherwise treat the place well and stay as long as you can.

Please ignore people in this thread who don't have a clue about squatting.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
It's not quite that simple, as long as you don't damage the property, it's a civil matter, the police can only support in the case of a legitimate eviction.

That said, it's still a shitty thing to do.
How so? If OP is maintaining this abandoned home and being a good neighbor it'd be a net positive for the other home owners. Whatever bank might own the property probably fucked someone over to get the home in their possession so I can't really feel empathy towards the bankers.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
This sounds so creepy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.